IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Gladys Berejiklian , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 10th August 2021, 02:46 AM   #201
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I just had a major WTF moment - schools in NSW have been open?

How the hell is that supposed to work?

Record high infections today - seems to me they may as well stop trying.

With 20 new infections in Melbourne, I remain unconvinced you're going to get this under control.
Old 10th August 2021, 03:43 AM   #202
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

With 20 new infections in Melbourne, I remain unconvinced you're going to get this under control.
We will be okay in Melbourne. All cases are linked and the percentage not isolated has been increasing. It will be over 50% based on past experience tomorrow and almost all will be isolated the day after. The lockdown will be increased by a week and all over after that.

Been wrong before, but have been absolutely correct about Sydney and am confident I’m right about Melbourne.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 06:37 AM   #203
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

REGIONAL schools. Not those in the affected LGAs.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 06:41 AM   #204
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
We will be okay in Melbourne. All cases are linked and the percentage not isolated has been increasing. It will be over 50% based on past experience tomorrow and almost all will be isolated the day after. The lockdown will be increased by a week and all over after that.

Been wrong before, but have been absolutely correct about Sydney and am confident I’m right about Melbourne.
Victoria an entirely different and less virulent strain of COVID previously. And I recall in Victoria there were well over 600 cases per day for a month or so.

Yep, check 12 months ago: https://covidlive.com.au/report/daily-cases/vic
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 07:58 AM   #205
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Victoria an entirely different and less virulent strain of COVID previously. And I recall in Victoria there were well over 600 cases per day for a month or so.

Yep, check 12 months ago: https://covidlive.com.au/report/daily-cases/vic
We beat the delta varient recently. We will do again.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 11:27 AM   #206
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

REGIONAL schools. Not those in the affected LGAs.
When unchecked spread is happening, any schools are a danger, and so it's turned out to be.
Old 10th August 2021, 01:19 PM   #207
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

This is what Morrison said in a press conference about climate change yesterday:

Quote:
What I’m saying today is what I have been consistently saying for a very long time. Australia under my government will have a plan to achieve what we are setting out.
It’s a big call, but I now contend that he is a stupid as Trump.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 10th August 2021, 01:29 PM   #208
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

It’s a big call, but I now contend that he [Scomo] is a stupid as Trump.
He thinks we can't see him spinning for all he is worth. Because that's all he knows what to do, and he's pretty **** at it anyway.
Old 10th August 2021, 02:24 PM   #209
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

This is what Morrison said in a press conference about climate change yesterday:

It’s a big call, but I now contend that he is a stupid as Trump.
Yes, he will have a plan. Pity it will be a poor plan. But no problem, even he will ignore it and climate change.
Old 10th August 2021, 07:50 PM   #210
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

He talks about "the plan" a lot, but I haven't seen anything about what the plan contains of even convincing evidence that it exists at all.
Old 10th August 2021, 08:27 PM   #211
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
He talks about "the plan" a lot, but I haven't seen anything about what the plan contains of even convincing evidence that it exists at all.
His particular plan is to shut his eyes, wave his hands in the air, and pray desperately to Jesus for guidance. Jesus, as usual, will respond as he always has with an answer: Solve it yourself, you blithering fool.
Old 10th August 2021, 08:41 PM   #212
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
The ABC is paying Louise Milligan's fine/compensation to former MP Andrew Laming.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...case/100367922

I remember #auspol on Twitter had their pitchforks out for Laming at the time over the rumours of an upskirt photo that wasn't.

That's not to say Laming didn't otherwise engage in "aggressive behaviour online with two female constituents."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...hoto/100044350
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 08:48 PM   #213
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Anyone see the Vic Coronavirus media update today?

A man was in the background loudly shouting "Premier" repeatedly, and other unintelligible stuff.

Dan Andrews just carried on with answering the journalists' questions.

I'm assuming police or security guards were arresting the protester.

I've seen something similar happen in NSW with a guy trying to give Gladys a cease and desist letter.

The media do their best not to give these sad people any airtime.

When the NSW one was happening, they went back to the studio just as the announcer was making frantic "cut it" motions. He quickly regained his composure and carried on with other news until it was safe to go back to the presser.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 03:38 AM   #214
Wildy
Adelaidean

His plan is probably to use coal to stop climate change. We all know that coal is the one thing he does hold.
Old 12th August 2021, 05:40 AM   #215
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
His plan is probably to use coal to stop climate change. We all know that coal is the one thing he does hold.
Knowing Scomo, he is quite possibly praying now for another disaster that CAN be ended using coal. I can think of a couple off the top of my head...like burying Scomo under a couple of tonnes of it and getting a real PM instead.
Old 12th August 2021, 06:34 PM   #216
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Dangerous signs in Victoria as several new cases are of unknown origin and at least half a dozen out and about while infectious. ACT now in lockdown as well, I see.

I can't see a path forward that doesn't involve either monstrous economic and social cost, or a load of people dying of Covid.
Old 12th August 2021, 06:39 PM   #217
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

ACT now in lockdown as well, I see.
Yep. 1 case, something like 3000 close contacts. The guy did a night shift as a bouncer at a nightclub, then after his shift there, went to church. Fortunately he used the Check-In app everywhere he went, and all the contacts are identified.

I have an Essential Worker Permit so I am one of the few of my team who are in the office this week, and Civic is very quiet. There are people around, but not many. I'm required to wear a mask while I'm at my desk unless I'm talking on the phone.

I'll be staying at home on the weekend and getting Deliveroo. D&D is cancelled.

Last edited by arthwollipot; 12th August 2021 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Corrected number - I was way off!
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 08:03 PM   #218
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Oh look, Tony Abbott has a podcast.

Of course it's affiliated with the right-wing think tank the Institute of Public Affairs.
Old 12th August 2021, 10:38 PM   #219
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Two things I noted about NSW covid press conferences recently is that when Gladys announces daily deaths she says “not vaccinated”. She did it again today about a 40 year old woman who died at home. This is tantamount to saying “your fault”. It’s disrespectful and disgusting.

And “Health” Hazzard says he is proud he kept NSW open for so long. So you are proud about seeding this outbreak? **** you.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 13th August 2021, 12:01 AM   #220
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Two things I noted about NSW covid press conferences recently is that when Gladys announces daily deaths she says “not vaccinated”. She did it again today about a 40 year old woman who died at home. This is tantamount to saying “your fault”. It’s disrespectful and disgusting.
I can see that point of view, but it does also reinforce the message that vaccinated people are less vulnerable to the disease. Perhaps that's what she is angling for.
Old 13th August 2021, 12:04 AM   #221
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Oh look, Tony Abbott has a podcast.

Of course it's affiliated with the right-wing think tank the Institute of Public Affairs.
"Think tank".

LOL
Old 13th August 2021, 12:04 AM   #222
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I can see that point of view, but it does also reinforce the message that vaccinated people are less vulnerable to the disease. Perhaps that's what she is angling for.
I think you are giving a thoughtless and callous politician far too much credit.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 13th August 2021, 12:16 AM   #223
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I think you are giving a thoughtless and callous politician far too much credit.
Maybe. If that's what she is doing then I will grant you that she is doing it clumsily.
Old 13th August 2021, 12:49 AM   #224
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

If the PM had said "We have plenty of AZ vaccine, we will make sure every adult gets their 2 doses by the end of June 2021 no matter what" and then delivered, then we might have lost say 20 lives from this. But we have lost more lives than that from the virus since the start of June. That is not counting the economic cost.
Old 13th August 2021, 02:50 PM   #225
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Saw Scummo on the TV again yesterday, I was so disgusted with his relentless 'spin' I turned off the TV and took the dog out for an extended walk.
Old 13th August 2021, 06:11 PM   #226
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

466 cases yesterday in NSW. No curfew, but finally (and too late) travel distance down to 5km. Still people can travel to inspect real estate, hardware stores open and no definition of “essential” workers.

When does it get so dire that Gladys has to resign? Of course, her likely successors will “let it rip”. NSW is really ******.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 13th August 2021, 06:55 PM   #227
Wildy
Adelaidean

When does it get so dire that Gladys has to resign? Of course, her likely successors will “let it rip”. NSW is really ******.
Probably when Labor wins a Federal election.
Old 13th August 2021, 10:06 PM   #228
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Regional NSW finally in lockdown

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...of3R40xx2JsZ8Q
Old 13th August 2021, 10:54 PM   #229
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

In NSW it is getting worse. 462 new cases today. A record. Heads should roll. Lockdown is meant to reduce the number of new cases, not allow them to grow at the rate of 40% per week.
Old 14th August 2021, 06:28 AM   #230
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Calling for politicians' heads to roll is pointless right now. Who would replace them to do a better job? I mean...Gladys's alternate is Barilaro, a dimwit conservative of the first water, whose first action would probably be to become DeSantis Lite. So if you thought Gladys was bad... Better the devil you know.

Afterwards, of course, we really should vote out Scomo, whose "strollout" is the reason why there is a pandemic running rife in Australia in the first place.

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 14th August 2021 at 06:29 AM.
Old 14th August 2021, 07:29 AM   #231
Wildy
Adelaidean

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
In NSW it is getting worse. 462 new cases today. A record. Heads should roll. Lockdown is meant to reduce the number of new cases, not allow them to grow at the rate of 40% per week.
That's only if the lockdown isn't purely reactionary and piecemeal. Perhaps if they had been more aggressive in locking down areas surrounding the places where covid had been found then they might have slowed or even stopped the spread.

Instead we get to see what the gold standard has to offer.
Old 14th August 2021, 04:01 PM   #232
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Calling for politicians' heads to roll is pointless right now. Who would replace them to do a better job? I mean...Gladys's alternate is Barilaro, a dimwit conservative of the first water, whose first action would probably be to become DeSantis Lite. So if you thought Gladys was bad... Better the devil you know.

Afterwards, of course, we really should vote out Scomo, whose "strollout" is the reason why there is a pandemic running rife in Australia in the first place.
Yep.

And let's never forget: "I don't know about you, but I'm going to the footy."

As for "Why is the lockdown not working?"

That's simple, it still isn't a lockdown.
Old 14th August 2021, 05:39 PM   #233
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Yep.

And let's never forget: "I don't know about you, but I'm going to the footy."

As for "Why is the lockdown not working?"

That's simple, it still isn't a lockdown.
Scomo did even better today:

“For the lockdown to work, the lockdown must work”.

This is a direct quote.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 14th August 2021, 08:59 PM   #234
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Poland is sending Australia 1 million Pfizer doses.

""The 1 million doses, I've discussed this with the NSW Premier yesterday, will be targeted to Australians aged 20 to 39 years of age who are identified in the Doherty modelling as the peak transmitters for COVID-19," he [Scott Morrison] said.

""Five-hundred-and-thirty thousand of these doses will be prioritised for express delivery to the 12 Sydney local government areas where the COVID-19 outbreak continues to grow."

"Mr Morrison said the rest of the doses would be allocated to the other states and territories on a per capita basis."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...land/100378332

Not sure how I feel about NSW getting over half of them.
Old 14th August 2021, 09:15 PM   #235
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Poland is sending Australia 1 million Pfizer doses.

""The 1 million doses, I've discussed this with the NSW Premier yesterday, will be targeted to Australians aged 20 to 39 years of age who are identified in the Doherty modelling as the peak transmitters for COVID-19," he [Scott Morrison] said.

""Five-hundred-and-thirty thousand of these doses will be prioritised for express delivery to the 12 Sydney local government areas where the COVID-19 outbreak continues to grow."

"Mr Morrison said the rest of the doses would be allocated to the other states and territories on a per capita basis."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...land/100378332

Not sure how I feel about NSW getting over half of them.
NSW is being rewarded for letting the outbreak happen. They are still allowing people to self-declare as essential workers and do not mandate masks outdoors.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 14th August 2021, 10:41 PM   #236
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

It has been revealed that the Morrison government has spent over $1M in High Court cases challenging border closures in WA and Queensland. This includes giving Clive Palmer $41,000 to contribute to his costs in challenging WA's border closure. In the end, none of these challenges were successful.
Quote:
Shadow Minister for Trade and Resources Madeleine King said the cost of the WA case was "wasteful and disgusting".

"It's just a stupendous waste of money for a legal folly that the federal government had no business being part of," she said.

"What really gets to me the most is that $40,000 of this money goes directly to Clive Palmer to pay for his costs for a directions hearing that the government wouldn't have had to have if they hadn't gone down this path."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...case/100373228
Old 14th August 2021, 10:53 PM   #237
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
It has been revealed that the Morrison government has spent over $1M in High Court cases challenging border closures in WA and Queensland. This includes giving Clive Palmer $41,000 to contribute to his costs in challenging WA's border closure. In the end, none of these challenges were successful.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...case/100373228
The Commonwealth should have realised fairly early that federation meant something.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 15th August 2021, 12:45 AM   #238
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

The Commonwealth should have realised fairly early that federation meant something.
It was one of Scumo's failed efforts to show that he was in charge. I'm pretty sure that this was a major factor in WA Labor getting almost a clean sweep of the lower house at the last state election.
Old 15th August 2021, 12:51 AM   #239
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
It was one of Scumo's failed efforts to show that he was in charge. I'm pretty sure that this was a major factor in WA Labor getting almost a clean sweep of the lower house at the last state election.
Agreed. Andrews will win easily next year, and I think Gladys will lose to an unimpressive ALP next election. Morrison is toxic.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 15th August 2021, 02:21 AM   #240
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Agreed. Andrews will win easily next year, and I think Gladys will lose to an unimpressive ALP next election. Morrison is toxic.
Only trouble is that the NSW election is due on Saturday 25 March 2023. That is another 19 months away.

Ref: https://www.elections.nsw.gov.au/Ele...eral-elections

Edit. Though local government elections will be held, Covid 19 permitting, on 4 December 2021.

https://www.elections.nsw.gov.au/Ele...ment-elections

Last edited by rjh01; 15th August 2021 at 02:23 AM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics