IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Gladys Berejiklian , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 15th August 2021, 02:23 AM   #241
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Only trouble is that the NSW election is due on Saturday 25 March 2023. That is another 19 months away.

Ref: https://www.elections.nsw.gov.au/Ele...eral-elections
Maybe, but her mismanagement will not be forgotten any time soon.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2021, 05:06 AM   #242
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
NSW is being rewarded for letting the outbreak happen. They are still allowing people to self-declare as essential workers and do not mandate masks outdoors.
Incorrect.

Authorised workers.
Not on this list and try to pretend you are? Have a $5000 fine.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/rule...orised-workers

Mask rules.
Quote:
A person may remove their mask if they are:

eating or drinking
communicating with another person who is deaf or hard of hearing
at work and the nature of the work makes the wearing of a fitted face covering a risk to the person's, or another persons' health and safety, or where clear enunciation or visibility of your mouth is essential
asked to remove their mask for identity purposes
in an emergency situation
doing strenuous exercise (except when you are in a gym class or a dance class)
at a correctional centre, place of custody, or hospital
a resident at an aged care were facility
a guest in a hotel/motel room and in your room
in the process of getting married
working alone in an office (until another person enters)
in a vehicle alone or with another person from your household.
Otherwise, keep it on. That means outside anywhere.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2021, 10:09 PM   #243
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

This is on topic I believe. My daughter was on the Guardian podcast today. She is being screwed over by Centrelink. Despite being constantly in contact with them and asking if they were sure the payments were right, they nevertheless overpaid her $1200, a lot for a student renting in the inner suburbs (we would have her stay with us in a heartbeat, but Ms Independent).

Anyway, she appealed and was told that she did nothing wrong, but she had to pay. Her point on the podcast was that how can the likes of Jerry Harvey keep millions in Jobkeeper when his profits rose last year, but she just has to pay it back. The heartless Centrelink bastards told her it was never her money. Yet multi-millionaire retailers are told “good for you, keep the cash”.

She also made the point that it is pretty harsh chasing debts during tough lockdowns where people like her can’t work.

There is nothing identifiable in the podcast , so if anyone is interested:

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-debt-recovery

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 16th August 2021 at 10:11 PM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2021, 11:04 PM   #244
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

NSW is being rewarded for letting the outbreak happen. They are still allowing people to self-declare as essential workers and do not mandate masks outdoors.
It was easy for me to get a letter declaring me an essential worker. I'm partly responsible for ensuring that the Federal Government keeps working during the lockdown, so all I really had to do was (truthfully) say that I don't have an office space at home suitable for the ergonomic equipment I have.
Old 17th August 2021, 01:34 AM   #245
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

This is on topic I believe. My daughter was on the Guardian podcast today. She is being screwed over by Centrelink. Despite being constantly in contact with them and asking if they were sure the payments were right, they nevertheless overpaid her $1200, a lot for a student renting in the inner suburbs (we would have her stay with us in a heartbeat, but Ms Independent).

Anyway, she appealed and was told that she did nothing wrong, but she had to pay. Her point on the podcast was that how can the likes of Jerry Harvey keep millions in Jobkeeper when his profits rose last year, but she just has to pay it back. The heartless Centrelink bastards told her it was never her money. Yet multi-millionaire retailers are told ďgood for you, keep the cashĒ.

She also made the point that it is pretty harsh chasing debts during tough lockdowns where people like her canít work.

There is nothing identifiable in the podcast , so if anyone is interested:

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-debt-recovery
She clearly isn't a mate of the LNP.

My mother aged 93 who is in a nursing home is in much the same boat. Before Dad died, he used to send an annual statement of income to CentreLink that justified the pension level they were being paid (to do with medical expenses, etc.). It meant CentreLink payments were higher than "normal" for them both.

After he died, Mum simply did not know what was going on. Dad did all the paperwork (he was a CPA) and she had no idea. So for a couple of years, she did not send in the paperwork. But CentreLink kept paying her at the same rate as two people, and at a higher rate as previously.

Then Robodebt kicked in. It found this overpayment had occurred for a few years since Dad died, and the debt collectors were sent in. Clearly a muddled 90yo was scamming the system!

The family spent many hours with CentreLink on Mum's behalf trying to understand the situation, unravel it all, and get it managed. That included getting Enduring Power of Attorney and Enduring Guardianship. Which should have alerted CentreLink that something was not right. So the negotiations began. How did Mum rack up X-thousand in debt? What was the reason? How do we wind this back? Etc. We gradually windlassed details out of them, but it was clear it was a result of them simply failing to check with Mum for paperwork the first time it didn't appear, i.e. immediately after Dad died years previously.

Meanwhile, Mum had a couple of strokes and had to be put in care. So she was often oblivious to these machinations. But one day a (scumbag) CentreLink debt-chaser called her (in bed in the care home just after another stroke) and told her that she was going to have her pension docked to pay her debts. And was she OK with that? Somehow they took Mum's whimpers as assent. Which undermined the whole negotiation process.

So now Mum's meager pension is being docked to pay a debt she has no idea why she accrued. And this was just before Robodebt was revealed to be a giant and unconscionable lemon-squeezer anyway.

Bastards.

I wish your daughter luck!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2021, 07:25 AM   #246
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
She clearly isn't a mate of the LNP.

My mother aged 93 who is in a nursing home is in much the same boat. Before Dad died, he used to send an annual statement of income to CentreLink that justified the pension level they were being paid (to do with medical expenses, etc.). It meant CentreLink payments were higher than "normal" for them both.

After he died, Mum simply did not know what was going on. Dad did all the paperwork (he was a CPA) and she had no idea. So for a couple of years, she did not send in the paperwork. But CentreLink kept paying her at the same rate as two people, and at a higher rate as previously.

Then Robodebt kicked in. It found this overpayment had occurred for a few years since Dad died, and the debt collectors were sent in. Clearly a muddled 90yo was scamming the system!

The family spent many hours with CentreLink on Mum's behalf trying to understand the situation, unravel it all, and get it managed. That included getting Enduring Power of Attorney and Enduring Guardianship. Which should have alerted CentreLink that something was not right. So the negotiations began. How did Mum rack up X-thousand in debt? What was the reason? How do we wind this back? Etc. We gradually windlassed details out of them, but it was clear it was a result of them simply failing to check with Mum for paperwork the first time it didn't appear, i.e. immediately after Dad died years previously.

Meanwhile, Mum had a couple of strokes and had to be put in care. So she was often oblivious to these machinations. But one day a (scumbag) CentreLink debt-chaser called her (in bed in the care home just after another stroke) and told her that she was going to have her pension docked to pay her debts. And was she OK with that? Somehow they took Mum's whimpers as assent. Which undermined the whole negotiation process.

So now Mum's meager pension is being docked to pay a debt she has no idea why she accrued. And this was just before Robodebt was revealed to be a giant and unconscionable lemon-squeezer anyway.

Bastards.

I wish your daughter luck!
Thank you for this post.

I used to work in the public service, including Centrelinkís predecessor, the Department of Social Security. Back in the 1970-80s. There was always recovery action, but not outright bastardry. This is pure LNP ďsupport for farmers and businesses good, support for unemployed badĒ ********.

I will, of course, cover my daughterís overpayment, but I will try to negotiate something like $2 a fortnight repayment schedule. **** them.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 17th August 2021, 05:28 PM   #247
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Thank you for this post.

I used to work in the public service, including Centrelinkís predecessor, the Department of Social Security. Back in the 1970-80s. There was always recovery action, but not outright bastardry. This is pure LNP ďsupport for farmers and businesses good, support for unemployed badĒ ********.

I will, of course, cover my daughterís overpayment, but I will try to negotiate something like $2 a fortnight repayment schedule. **** them.
Exactly. My brother has some shorter, more Anglo-Saxon words to describe them.

More details.

The CentreLink staff in the centres I visited all tried to be helpful insofar as they could go. They sympathised and did their best to alleviate the situation. So it wasn't the whole department is a pack of bastards.

We discovered CentreLink has outsourced the debt collection. It means they are "not responsible" for how it is collected, so complaining to them is pointless. And the debt-collection people have no conscience. At all. They treat 93yo invalids the same way as feral "housos" - by coming the heavy with them. I'm normally pretty pacifist and laid back. But if I ever catch the one who monstered Mum, I will kick his balls into next week and laugh.

Like you, we have managed to negotiate Mum's regular repayment, i.e. pension clipping, to the absolute minimum. It still means a fair chunk out of it, and she will need to keep paying until she dies. They initially wanted to take it all, which would have meant being removed from care. All her pension goes to the facility; and no pay, no care.
Old 17th August 2021, 06:32 PM   #248
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

633 cases now in NSW. R number, according to serial liar Gladys, is 1.3. I’ll bet it’s much more. Either way the state is ****** because the rules aren’t strict (houses can still be inspected, “recreation” is allowable) and those that are in place are being ignored. The place is beyond contact tracing. Gladys must go.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 17th August 2021, 06:36 PM   #249
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I also find in the press conference that you can play golf in Sydney. They are not serious at all.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 17th August 2021, 07:09 PM   #250
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

633 cases now in NSW. R number, according to serial liar Gladys, is 1.3. Iíll bet itís much more. Either way the state is ****** because the rules arenít strict (houses can still be inspected, ďrecreationĒ is allowable) and those that are in place are being ignored. The place is beyond contact tracing. Gladys must go.
As i asked before, how on Earth does this help. Bariloro, her deputy, is a LOT worse.
Old 17th August 2021, 07:10 PM   #251
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Dr Chant (NSW Chief Health Officer) is very worried as she said a couple of times. What influence does she have on restrictions?
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2021, 07:15 PM   #252
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I also find in the press conference that you can play golf in Sydney. They are not serious at all.
Incorrect.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/rule...onable-excuses
Quote:
Exercise and outdoor recreation

Stay within your local government area. If you need to cross into another local government area, you must stay within 5km of your home.
If travelling by a private vehicle (car), do not share a car with people you do not live with, except your nominated visitor ("singles bubble").
You can exercise with 1 other person that you do not live with, or your nominated visitor ("singles bubble").
If you live with more than 2 other people, you can all go out together for exercise.
Quote:
Other reasonable excuses

It is also considered a reasonable excuse to leave your home if you need to

donate blood
access childcare
continue existing arrangements for access to, and contact between, parents and children
attend a funeral or memorial service that complies with the rules for funerals and memorial services
provide care or assistance (including personal care) to a vulnerable person or to provide emergency assistance
only 1 person may visit a residence to provide care at any one time
access social services, employment services, services provided to victims (including as victims of crime), domestic violence services, and mental health services
undertake legal obligations
avoid injury or illness or to escape the risk of harm
in case of emergencies
for compassionate reasons, including where two people are in a relationship but do not necessarily live together
to provide pastoral care if you are a priest, minister of religion or member of a religious order
gathering at Parliament for the purpose of its normal operations.
Can I suggest that some of the questions some reporters ask at press conferences are deliberately misleading provocations in order to generate headlines.
Old 17th August 2021, 07:29 PM   #253
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Can I suggest that some of the questions some reporters ask at press conferences are deliberately misleading provocations in order to generate headlines.
That's exactly it. Been saying it for ages.

The press conference question time is a gotcha session.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2021, 08:19 PM   #254
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I've got a mate who worked as counter staff in Centrelink Braddon. He said that it was a good day when they only had to call the police twice to deal with a problematic customer. He also told me about the ridiculously arcane and unnecessarily complicated computer system that has so much legacy data that to update it would be a billion-dollar project and no government is willing to give them that money.

I don't let Centrelink off the hook, but I cut them a little slack. Its problems are real, and not easy to fix.
Old 17th August 2021, 08:57 PM   #255
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Incorrect.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/rule...onable-excuses

Golf NSW disagrees.

https://www.golfnsw.org.au/news/2021...update-latest/

Quote:
Golf NSW has been advised that golf is considered exercise and can continue if your Club has and complies with its COVID-19 Safety Plan.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 17th August 2021, 09:09 PM   #256
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

See the rules above. And this is still WITH masking.
Quote:
You can exercise with 1 other person that you do not live with, or your nominated visitor ("singles bubble").
If you live with more than 2 other people, you can all go out together for exercise.
A bunch of yobs beering around a course mask-free is non-compliant. Ping them if you see them.
Old 17th August 2021, 09:12 PM   #257
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Dr Chant (NSW Chief Health Officer) is very worried as she said a couple of times. What influence does she have on restrictions?
The government "listens to" and "takes" health advice. Doesn't mean they follow it, or have to take it into account, when making decisions. Pernickety word-play is great for plausible deniability.
Old 17th August 2021, 09:18 PM   #258
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I don't let Centrelink off the hook, but I cut them a little slack. Its problems are real, and not easy to fix.
Sounds exactly the same as here, which is what I'd expect.

And those problems lead to a woefully inadequate type of employee - if you had a few clues, why the hell would you work there? Vilified by everyone, threatened on the job, aged infrastructure, poor conditions... and all for quite lousy money.

Join Centrelink Now!
Old 17th August 2021, 09:20 PM   #259
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I've got a mate who worked as counter staff in Centrelink Braddon. He said that it was a good day when they only had to call the police twice to deal with a problematic customer. He also told me about the ridiculously arcane and unnecessarily complicated computer system that has so much legacy data that to update it would be a billion-dollar project and no government is willing to give them that money.

I get this. I worked for the CES in the 1990s, when itís job was to assess clients for benefits before passing it over to the Department of Social Security. I saw the violent, angry customers and poor systems. But I also saw a lot of staff who had no regard for clients, and many who were work shy. I donít think much changed when Centrelink was created from these two departments.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 17th August 2021, 09:20 PM   #260
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Curious. This massive statewide outbreak is the sort of thing you might expect to occur about two weeks to a month after some super-spreader event attended by careless maskless unvaccinated crowds of virus-kettles who came from all over the state and congregated in close gatherings while shouting...
Old 17th August 2021, 11:29 PM   #261
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Curious. This massive statewide outbreak is the sort of thing you might expect to occur about two weeks to a month after some super-spreader event attended by careless maskless unvaccinated crowds of virus-kettles who came from all over the state and congregated in close gatherings while shouting...
Yeah. Weird, that.
Old 18th August 2021, 01:25 AM   #262
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Just had a look at that. Your timing is right. It would explain why we suddenly had heaps of cases in the ACT. A number of people came back from these protests with Covid and spread it around the place. The ACT has had more cases than what I would expect from one person.

ACT exposure sites https://www.covid19.act.gov.au/act-s...sure-locations

News article on the protest in Sydney. Note date. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57960044
Old 18th August 2021, 01:29 AM   #263
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The original source of the Canberra outbreak hasn't been positively identified yet, but I'd be pretty astounded if it weren't that.
Old 18th August 2021, 01:36 AM   #264
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Just had a look at that. Your timing is right. It would explain why we suddenly had heaps of cases in the ACT. A number of people came back from these protests with Covid and spread it around the place. The ACT has had more cases than what I would expect from one person.

ACT exposure sites https://www.covid19.act.gov.au/act-s...sure-locations

News article on the protest in Sydney. Note date. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57960044
Itís possible, but I think itís more likely there were very many seeds of this disaster. Some from protests, some from selfish congregations at beaches and parks, but most from people illegally visiting other family members.

The biggest super spreader event, however, was the NSW governmentís unforgivable delay in locking down and letting retail, hospitality and construction simply carry on for weeks before their mockdown, with loopholes you could drive a D Triple through.

This is all on Gladys.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 18th August 2021, 04:16 AM   #265
Wildy
Adelaidean

As i asked before, how on Earth does this help. Bariloro, her deputy, is a LOT worse.
Why would Barilaro become premier?
Old 18th August 2021, 04:20 AM   #266
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
Thatís my belief too. There is no doubt that the LNP is conducting focus groups like crazy (as is the ALP) in the effort to find a non-toxic candidate.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 18th August 2021, 06:52 AM   #267
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
He's the Deputy Premier. Gladys walks or is tossed, he's in the top chair.

Of course, that is not guaranteed. Could be a complete spill of the positions in a party room late one night. In which case, expect anything to happen!
Old 19th August 2021, 08:42 PM   #268
Orphia Nay
Tagger

There are gotcha sessions and there are gotcha sessions.

The media seemed pretty angry at Gladys at the press conference this morning.
Old 19th August 2021, 10:36 PM   #269
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I think there might be a reason for that.
Old 19th August 2021, 11:07 PM   #270
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like I will need a permit to travel to my work, now. Hmm....
Old 19th August 2021, 11:15 PM   #271
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Looks like I will need a permit to travel to my work, now. Hmm....
I've got one. Haven't been asked to show it yet, but I will.
Old 20th August 2021, 05:37 AM   #272
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I could ask for one, but I wonít bother. I can get my job done through zoom and online. Itís not ideal, but it works.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 20th August 2021, 07:26 AM   #273
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Previously my work ID, which is my hospital employee access card on a lanyard, was sufficient. Now they want an official piece of paper from a different government department saying that the lanyard is valid.

I could ask for one, but I wonít bother. I can get my job done through zoom and online. Itís not ideal, but it works.
Ditto. My work PC is on a VPN, so I can work just the same as at my desk in the office (but slower - the NBN here is FTTN which sucks sweaty dogs' bollox).
Old 20th August 2021, 07:35 AM   #274
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I could ask for one, but I won’t bother. I can get my job done through zoom and online. It’s not ideal, but it works.
That is one of the few positive outcomes of the covid virus.

Having to transport bodies around to do jobs that are essentially only about transferring information is a massive logistical problem and a major cause of pollution and the destruction of the environment.

It is to be hoped that the aftermath of the covid crisis will be a paradigm shift in how jobs get done.

Last edited by psionl0; 20th August 2021 at 07:36 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2021, 02:35 PM   #275
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post

Having to transport bodies around to do jobs that are essentially only about transferring information is a massive logistical problem and a major cause of pollution and the destruction of the environment.

It is to be hoped that the aftermath of the covid crisis will be a paradigm shift in how jobs get done.
I donít fully agree. Transferring information over zoom is not always enough. With my job Iím required to decide if the workplace is a suitable and safe environment for training, with proper procedures and equipment. I canít do that over zoom. The government (who we have a contract with) definitely wants us on the road.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 20th August 2021, 06:29 PM   #276
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I donít fully agree. Transferring information over zoom is not always enough. With my job Iím required to decide if the workplace is a suitable and safe environment for training, with proper procedures and equipment. I canít do that over zoom. The government (who we have a contract with) definitely wants us on the road.
Of course, there will be some jobs where an on-site presence is required. But in many cases, it can be done much cheaper via zoom or similar technology. For example, if all you want is to discuss an issue, then there is no need to go anywhere a zoom meeting will, in most cases, be enough.
Old 20th August 2021, 06:39 PM   #277
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Of course, there will be some jobs where an on-site presence is required. But in many cases, it can be done much cheaper via zoom or similar technology. For example, if all you want is to discuss an issue, then there is no need to go anywhere a zoom meeting will, in most cases, be enough.
I'm hanging out for telepresence robots...

It's interesting where I work. My direct line managers, and the organisation itself, are saying "stay at home if in any way possible".

Some of the project managers are saying: "You have to come in to work."

I'm sticking with my direct chain of command at this stage.

But, it does make me wonder what they're expecting.

I'm guessing that they're receiving reports that it's inevitable that the delta strain will be brought to the wilds of South Australia, and we want to reduce the risk as much as possible.
Old 20th August 2021, 06:44 PM   #278
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I donít agree. Why do you think that pre-covid business flights around Australia were at record levels? Because you can only get to build rapport, get to know people and communicate more effectively face-to-face. Every move away from face-to-face loses information. Business flights will return as the vaccination takes control.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 20th August 2021, 06:51 PM   #279
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

A new record set by NSW, with 825 daily infections, soon to reach over 1000. Gladys is a national embarrassment. At today’s press conference saying that no state can control the virus, and that case numbers are really unimportant. Have a talk to WA, Qld, SA and Tas. And also in Vic when we control the virus in a couple of weeks.

She is also dividing Sydney with higher restrictions is western and south-western suburbs. NSW has also stopped publishing exposure sites, because, according to the Health Department, it just confuses people.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 20th August 2021, 07:08 PM   #280
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post

Yes, I saw a few graphics last year of the difference to before covid in China, and how the pollution had drastically diminished.

Sadly it started going back up in line with covid getting under control there.

Thanks, now I need to check what it's like now.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics