IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Gladys Berejiklian , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 20th August 2021, 08:58 PM   #281
Wildy
Adelaidean

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I'm guessing that they're receiving reports that it's inevitable that the delta strain will be brought to the wilds of South Australia, and we want to reduce the risk as much as possible.
Again. IIRC the last lockdown was because of delta.

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
A new record set by NSW, with 825 daily infections, soon to reach over 1000. Gladys is a national embarrassment. At todayís press conference saying that no state can control the virus, and that case numbers are really unimportant. Have a talk to WA, Qld, SA and Tas. And also in Vic when we control the virus in a couple of weeks.
But haven't you heard? You can't control it, you just have to live with it. I fully expect NSW to just reopen completely once they hit the 70% vaccination rate regardless of how many cases are present in the community.

Quote:
NSW has also stopped publishing exposure sites, because, according to the Health Department, it just confuses people.
I think they stopped doing that on Tuesday. I think the reason why they stopped was because most of the transmission sites were in stores and it's a bad look for the whole "we can do this without shutting everything down" argument that they were holding on to until recently.

Now, of course, the message is that we have to live with the virus.
Old 20th August 2021, 09:00 PM   #282
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
I fully expect NSW to just reopen completely once they hit the 70% vaccination rate regardless of how many cases are present in the community.
Meanwhile Dan's saying 80% is the magic number, including masking and social distancing.

We don't want to end up with NSW like Israel, who, with 80% vaccinated are getting 6500 new cases a day after letting it all hang out after getting to 80%.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2021, 09:26 PM   #283
Wildy
Adelaidean

I believe the report that was being cited about reopening when vaccinations hit 80% said something along those lines as well. It's just that certain parts of the government are treating it like "all restrictions can be lifted". It also wasn't expecting a large number of transmissions like we are currently seeing in NSW.

I know Morrison has already threatened (or should I say "issued an implicit warning") states that they have to reopen when rates reach 70-80%, but I don't think anyone has said which 70-80%. I feel like it should be fully vaccinated, but I think the pressure to reopen will start once they hit that for first doses.
Old 20th August 2021, 09:36 PM   #284
Orphia Nay
Tagger

We're only 29.6% fully vaccinated (Australian Deputy Chief Medical Officer covid update just now).
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2021, 09:40 PM   #285
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Old 20th August 2021, 10:05 PM   #286
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Because you can only get to build rapport, get to know people and communicate more effectively face-to-face.
Old-fashioned thinking and utter nonsense stated by people who think they can read body language. In fact I've started a thread on the subject, because it annoys the tits off me. A great excuse to perpetuate pointless travel.

NSW has clearly lost control entirely, but I see Victoria is having a few struggles too.

Also, I still don't understand your "lockdowns" when I see horse and greyhound racing continuing in both states no matter what level of lockdown you're in.

Last edited by The Atheist; 20th August 2021 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Add link
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2021, 10:45 PM   #287
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

If NSW has lost control, what should Gladys be doing instead? How would YOU fix it?

Remember that locking everyone in their huts means no food or essential services for the duration. Because some people need to leave their huts to grow/make, pack, deliver and sell food. And other people have to leave their huts to run the essential services. Like hospitals, in particular.

So bearing that in mind, what's the answer now? Kill and bury the infected, a la 28 Days Later?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2021, 11:08 PM   #288
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
If NSW has lost control, what should Gladys be doing instead? How would YOU fix it?

Remember that locking everyone in their huts means no food or essential services for the duration. Because some people need to leave their huts to grow/make, pack, deliver and sell food. And other people have to leave their huts to run the essential services. Like hospitals, in particular.

So bearing that in mind, what's the answer now? Kill and bury the infected, a la 28 Days Later?
No she canít do much more now. But she deserves to be condemned for 8 weeks of not seriously locking down. And doing so reluctantly. Even yesterday all she could come up with. Hardware stores is to ďurge people to click and collectĒ. Lock the ******* places down. Melbourne didnít fall apart without hardware stores.

She has blood on her hands and doesnít warrant forgiveness or understanding.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 04:26 AM   #289
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I don't think it's able to be fixed, that horse bolted weeks ago, and you're right on the economic cost - it can't go on forever.

Given the vaccination rate, I think she's going to have to just let it go and hope the number of vaccinated keeps the toll down to acceptable levels. I reckon if you get away with less than 1000 deaths you could call it a victory.
Old 21st August 2021, 04:33 AM   #290
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Jesus, that looks like some protest in Melbourne today.

4000 people and over 200 arrests.
Old 21st August 2021, 05:59 AM   #291
dellarte
Illuminator

At an anti-COVID lockdown protest, I saw a press person handing rudimentary legal flyers on A4 paper titled, "notice of conditional acceptance", to bright-eyed youths. The youths waved these notices at police and got arrested. The press person got their scoop. Cameras nearby, ready to take photos.

Last edited by dellarte; 21st August 2021 at 06:11 AM.
dellarte is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 11:54 AM   #292
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I don’t fully agree. Transferring information over zoom is not always enough. With my job I’m required to decide if the workplace is a suitable and safe environment for training, with proper procedures and equipment. I can’t do that over zoom. The government (who we have a contract with) definitely wants us on the road.
"Transferring information" is just a generic term for tasks that could be handled remotely. The days when everybody had to trudge down to the office just so that they can sit behind a computer terminal or answer telephones are (or should be) drawing to a close. Our environment depends on this.

I agree that not every job can be done from home 100% of the time and face to face meetings may be more valuable than meetings done via face time - provided they are not held too frequently.
Old 21st August 2021, 02:49 PM   #293
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

No she canít do much more now. But she deserves to be condemned for 8 weeks of not seriously locking down. And doing so reluctantly. Even yesterday all she could come up with. Hardware stores is to ďurge people to click and collectĒ. Lock the ******* places down. Melbourne didnít fall apart without hardware stores.

She has blood on her hands and doesnít warrant forgiveness or understanding.
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I don't think it's able to be fixed, that horse bolted weeks ago, and you're right on the economic cost - it can't go on forever.

Given the vaccination rate, I think she's going to have to just let it go and hope the number of vaccinated keeps the toll down to acceptable levels. I reckon if you get away with less than 1000 deaths you could call it a victory.
So no solutions beyond retribution and "let it go". Does this mean you expect Gladys to appear at a press conference and say "Ah, **** it, NSW. You're on your own! Nothing I can do will fix this."
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 04:59 PM   #294
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Bloody idiot protesters.

I'd protest the protesters but I'm not that much of an idiot.
Old 21st August 2021, 09:18 PM   #295
Wildy
Adelaidean

Morrison wants the states to stick to the lockdown plan even though the advice from the Doherty Institute was assuming a far lower infection rate compared to reality.

It'll be interesting to see what their updated advice is, but I think there's going to be a fight between the States and the Federal Government over this.
Old 21st August 2021, 09:32 PM   #296
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
Morrison wants the states to stick to the lockdown plan even though the advice from the Doherty Institute was assuming a far lower infection rate compared to reality.

It'll be interesting to see what their updated advice is, but I think there's going to be a fight between the States and the Federal Government over this.
There will be a fight, but Morrison wonít win. States have regulations controlling entry, not the Feds. Parker failed in his High Court case about this. There is no way states will allow people from Sydney to enter if cases remain high.

Also, as I understand it, the Doherty modelling was done on earlier versions of the virus. 80% vaccination barely slows it down. Herd immunity requires something like 95% vaccinated.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2021, 03:16 AM   #297
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

So no solutions beyond retribution and "let it go".
I'm not sure why you're asking me for a resolution to something I have repeatedly described as irreversible.

Have a go yourself and I'll give you marks out of 10 for it.

I couldn't give a flying **** what Gladys says or does, I'm commenting on what's going to happen. She is now irrelevant to the NSW Covid outbreak.
Old 22nd August 2021, 03:28 AM   #298
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I couldn't give a flying **** what Gladys says or does, I'm commenting on what's going to happen. She is now irrelevant to the NSW Covid outbreak.
Absolutely. She didnít turn up for the presser today, and neither did Chant. If she had able deputies, this would not be so bad, but Hazzard?

Giving up on elimination, as she obviously has, is cowardice. Child care is still open in NSW. Hardware shops are still open. Disgraceful.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 22nd August 2021, 07:48 AM   #299
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not sure why you're asking me for a resolution to something I have repeatedly described as irreversible.

Have a go yourself and I'll give you marks out of 10 for it.

Again, you are not here to offer any solutions beyond letting it run and being smarmy at politicians. "Just blame Gladys" gets those of us who are living through this nowhere. At least she is making an effort, even if it seems forlorn in the face of some irresponsible recalcitrants.

Absolutely. She didnít turn up for the presser today, and neither did Chant. If she had able deputies, this would not be so bad, but Hazzard?

Giving up on elimination, as she obviously has, is cowardice. Child care is still open in NSW. Hardware shops are still open. Disgraceful.
So what is YOUR solution? Everyone be forced to hunker down in their huts for a month, never venturing out, with absolutely zero shops open whatever? If not, what WOULD you allow? You be premier. Be specific, justify your decisions, tell us all.
Old 22nd August 2021, 12:53 PM   #300
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Again, you are not here to offer any solutions beyond letting it run and being smarmy at politicians.
Now you're just making things up, probably as a means of avoiding the question I put to you. Let me spell it simply, so please work through at your leisure:

1 - I have offered a solution - there isn't one, so let it rip.
2 - You haven't give me your solution to it that I requested in the post you quoted.
3 - I don't believe you will be able to find a single example of me making smarmy comments about Gladys - that's pure fantasy from inside your own head. I've only mentioned her once, to say I don't give a flying **** what she does.

I await your answer to #2 with bated breath.

It looks to me as though you're making deliberately contrarian posts while offering nothing yourself.

How original.
Old 22nd August 2021, 01:43 PM   #301
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

So what is YOUR solution? Everyone be forced to hunker down in their huts for a month, never venturing out, with absolutely zero shops open whatever? If not, what WOULD you allow? You be premier. Be specific, justify your decisions, tell us all.
I think Iíve said what I would do. Repeatedly. I have never said all shops should be shut, only unnecessary ones like hardware shops. Only open supermarkets and chemists. Close childcare except for definable essential worker parents. Have the same rules across the whole state until things get under control.

But my main issue, which I have said many times, is that Gladys WENT TOO ******* LATE. She could do all the things I propose and I will still condemn her.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 22nd August 2021, 03:08 PM   #302
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I think I’ve said what I would do. Repeatedly. I have never said all shops should be shut, only unnecessary ones like hardware shops. Only open supermarkets and chemists. Close childcare except for definable essential worker parents. Have the same rules across the whole state until things get under control.
I'm part way through a house build, or a renovation, or a storm has damaged the roof, and the house leaks like a sieve and has no locks. My house is currently covered by tarps and I'm praying it doesn't rain because every time it does, more of it is water damaged. My insurance company isn't caring. Am I expected to wait until COVID-normal six months from now before I can expect repairs to happen? If not,and a builder is allowed out of his hut to keep working, where do his building supplies come from?

Quote:
But my main issue, which I have said many times, is that Gladys WENT TOO ******* LATE. She could do all the things I propose and I will still condemn her.
Stable doors and horses. You have the current situation NOW. This is square one. What do you expect premiers to do RIGHT NOW?

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 22nd August 2021 at 03:12 PM.
Old 22nd August 2021, 03:17 PM   #303
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Now you're just making things up, probably as a means of avoiding the question I put to you. Let me spell it simply, so please work through at your leisure:

1 - I have offered a solution - there isn't one, so let it rip.
Awesome! Just let the kids die. Should be fun.

Quote:
2 - You haven't give me your solution to it that I requested in the post you quoted.
I'm asking you. You seem happy to pontificate from afar on how badly you think things are being done here. SO I'm asking you to produce more of your infinite wisdom to provide an actual solution. So far, that has been to run and hide from the problem.

Quote:
3 - I don't believe you will be able to find a single example of me making smarmy comments about Gladys - that's pure fantasy from inside your own head. I've only mentioned her once, to say I don't give a flying **** what she does.
Two sentences contradicting each other.

Quote:
I await your answer to #2 with bated breath.

It looks to me as though you're making deliberately contrarian posts while offering nothing yourself.

How original.
Not smarmy at all.
Old 22nd August 2021, 05:01 PM   #304
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Awesome! Just let the kids die. Should be fun.
Predictably pathetic response.

Given that children are currently unable to be vaccinated, do you propose keeping them in isolation forever?

Also, don't let scientific fact stand in the way of your nonsensical response.

Children are so unlikely to die from Covid that it can be safely ignored. With a death rate of 25 kids <18 from Covid over 12 months, kids are 20 times more likely to die from something other than Covid.

Children are far more likely to be murdered by a parent than die of Covid - maybe we should stop breeding? Or maybe make murdering your kids illegal! That will work.

RSV has a much higher death rate for kids than Covid, along with many other reasons for kids dying.

Like I said, you're posting contrarian nonsense.

I'm asking you.
Which doesn't remove the obligation for you to give your answer.

You seem happy to pontificate from afar on how badly you think things are being done here.
I've highlighted inadequacies everywhere, including NZ.

SO I'm asking you to produce more of your infinite wisdom to provide an actual solution. So far, that has been to run and hide from the problem.
Absolute proof of the kind of contrarian nonsense you're posting, because my answer of "let it rip" is the exact opposite of running and hiding.

Two sentences contradicting each other.

Not smarmy at all.
It looks like as well as needing a science/maths lesson you need help with English.

What does "smarmy" mean?

Live and learn: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/smarmy
Old 22nd August 2021, 05:13 PM   #305
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I'm part way through a house build, or a renovation, or a storm has damaged the roof, and the house leaks like a sieve and has no locks. My house is currently covered by tarps and I'm praying it doesn't rain because every time it does, more of it is water damaged. My insurance company isn't caring. Am I expected to wait until COVID-normal six months from now before I can expect repairs to happen? If not,and a builder is allowed out of his hut to keep working, where do his building supplies come from?
As we do it in Melbourne. Click and collect.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 22nd August 2021, 05:24 PM   #306
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

As we do it in Melbourne. Click and collect.
Building timber??
Old 22nd August 2021, 05:41 PM   #307
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Predictably pathetic response.

Given that children are currently unable to be vaccinated, do you propose keeping them in isolation forever?

Also, don't let scientific fact stand in the way of your nonsensical response.

Children are so unlikely to die from Covid that it can be safely ignored. With a death rate of 25 kids <18 from Covid over 12 months, kids are 20 times more likely to die from something other than Covid.

Children are far more likely to be murdered by a parent than die of Covid - maybe we should stop breeding? Or maybe make murdering your kids illegal! That will work.

RSV has a much higher death rate for kids than Covid, along with many other reasons for kids dying.
Please tell this comforting story to the parents of all the children who will die of COVID Delta. The numbers you cite are from the UK and Wales, for the much less virulent Alpha variant. So still "let the kids die". Good to know your priorities,

Quote:
Like I said, you're posting contrarian nonsense.
Nope, I'm living through this, and you are pontificating from afar. I am not waiting for a "right" answer, I'm waiting for a "good" answer.

To be clear: I'm no fan of Gladys or her LNP government. Bunch of inept wankers and squatters for the most part. Nor do I think she has done a good job on this. The problems were obvious at the start. And I agree with you and lionking: She should have gone hard and fast from the start, and bugger trying to mollify Scomo and his "pray to gawd and keep business running". But they didn't, and so here we are. Now, how do we get out of it. Alive.

At least Gladys is trying something to halt the disaster and get us back on track, even if it is in a cack-handed way. If you were premier and your response was "**** it, let the sick people die including the kids (what's a few more kids anyway), we can't stop it", you would be strung up from a lamppost before sunset.

Quote:
Which doesn't remove the obligation for you to give your answer.
What obligation is that? It's not some sort of Mastermind game here, with whoever has the most right answers wins. If you have a brilliant solution or two, I can put you in touch with Gladys right away. I'm sure she would melt with gratitude and relief at your genius.

Quote:
I've highlighted inadequacies everywhere, including NZ.
Sure. So what are your solutions to these perceived inadequacies? Whinge some more? Complaining is easy; solutions are difficult.

Quote:
Absolute proof of the kind of contrarian nonsense you're posting, because my answer of "let it rip" is the exact opposite of running and hiding.
Running and hiding from the problem of COVID. Throwing your hands up and saying, "let it rip".

Quote:
It looks like as well as needing a science/maths lesson you need help with English.
Looks like you need a lesson in empathy. If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
Old 22nd August 2021, 05:42 PM   #308
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Building timber??
Yes. Pick it up with a trailer or have it delivered.

This is happening now and during other lockdowns.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 22nd August 2021, 05:47 PM   #309
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Yes. Pick it up with a trailer or have it delivered.

This is happening now and during other lockdowns.
Like this?
Quote:
Bunnings has announced it will close all its stores across Greater Sydney to customers and not just in hotspot LGAs.
https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...2e5a94e79ed6fe

Up until then, it has been one-person limit, limited people in the stores, "purposeful shopping". Which is exactly the same as supermarkets which remain open.

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 22nd August 2021 at 05:49 PM.
Old 22nd August 2021, 06:22 PM   #310
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Well, we have been successfully purchasing hardware online for months, and either collecting it contactlessly of having it delivered.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 22nd August 2021, 07:33 PM   #311
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Well, we have been successfully purchasing hardware online for months, and either collecting it contactlessly of having it delivered.
This doesn't work for trade builders. Only home gardeners, tinkerers and maybe painters.

Scomo and Gladys have been trying to keep a semblance of the economy afloat by keeping building going, albeit under extremely restricted rules. This has affected myself particularly. Our house reno was supposed to be finished in June/July. It is still not done. Numerous lockdowns, restrictions, travel limits, and delivery delays have added months and tens of thousands of dollars to our costs (and our builders - timber prices have skyrocketed). And we still haven't got a useful house to live in. Our dining room was supposed to be a campsite kitchen for a month while the new one was built. Six months later...no change yet.

Also, how do the click-and-collect operations work without employees travelling to the warehouses (some by public transport) to do the lift-and-load work? Ditto supermarkets and pharmacies. And further back, how do the products get made, packaged and shipped to stores? By people who have to go to work together necessarily. You can't run a hospital, farm, factory or abattoir via Zoom. So just "shutting down everything but essentials" means asking first "What is essential?" It's sure a lot more than supermarkets and pharmacies.

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 22nd August 2021 at 07:39 PM.
Old 22nd August 2021, 07:46 PM   #312
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I went to Belconnen Mall on the weekend because my work shoes died and I wanted to see if there was anywhere I could get new shoes. There isn't. Pretty much the only places that are open right now are supermarkets, food outlets and phone repairs.
Old 22nd August 2021, 08:04 PM   #313
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Please tell this comforting story to the parents of all the children who will die of COVID Delta. The numbers you cite are from the UK and Wales, for the much less virulent Alpha variant.
Oh dear, I was right about the dictionary.

Go check the different between "more infectious" and "more virulent".

Delta is no more dangerous than the original.

So still "let the kids die". Good to know your priorities,
Have you banned riding bicycles, climbing trees and all the other things killing more children than Covid?

Like I said, utterly pathetic.

Now, how do we get out of it. Alive.
Comments like that are half the problem - Covid isn't Captain Trips, Ebola or even MERS. It's been proven to have a fatality rate 10 times more than influenza - not enough to create the climate of fear you're encouraging. With over 50s vaccinated, the obvious and sensible answer is to allow normality to recommence.

And I do love the irony that in all of your crying about people dying you're ignoring the fact that lockdowns kill people as well. Lack of medical care, suicide and homicide are just three of the issues you're happy to ignore because you are personally scared ********.

If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
No, the problem is needless fearmongering. People die every day, I'd suggest you learn to live with that unfortunate fact, or maybe join a church.
Old 22nd August 2021, 11:21 PM   #314
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Morrison is acting tough again, insisting that states open up at 70% and 80% vaccination rates, regardless of how many infections are in the community. Qld and WA quickly rejected this. Gladys, of course, insisted on lecturing other states that they would all have high infections when borders opened, courtesy of NSW.

Morrison cannot win a war with the states over borders unless he brings the army in. Is he that stupid?

If anyone wants to see the result of opening up without reducing infections, have a look at Israel. 80% vaccinated, let it rip, and now 7000 cases a day. NSW and other states stupid enough to let large numbers of NSW residents in, will suffer the same fate.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd August 2021, 02:45 AM   #315
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

If anyone wants to see the result of opening up without reducing infections, have a look at Israel. 80% vaccinated, let it rip, and now 7000 cases a day. NSW and other states stupid enough to let large numbers of NSW residents in, will suffer the same fate.
Israel looks like an anomaly - nobody can figure out quite what's gone wrong there.

Germany - 70% vaccination rate, and deaths down to 20 a day.
UK - 70%, and deaths ~70 a day (almost exactly the same as seasonal 'flu)

Then there are Hungary & Czech Republic, who have had low vaccine rates but very high infections, where the outbreak has almost disappeared.

I'd go along with a 70% vaccination rate as the level where you should be opening up.
Old 23rd August 2021, 02:54 AM   #316
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Israel looks like an anomaly - nobody can figure out quite what's gone wrong there.

Germany - 70% vaccination rate, and deaths down to 20 a day.
UK - 70%, and deaths ~70 a day (almost exactly the same as seasonal 'flu)

Then there are Hungary & Czech Republic, who have had low vaccine rates but very high infections, where the outbreak has almost disappeared.

I'd go along with a 70% vaccination rate as the level where you should be opening up.
The big problem is that nobody knows the long term impact of covid, particularly on children. Itís a mighty gamble to just let it rip.

Thereís also the psychological impact on those infected. I mentioned in other threads that one of my sons got infected early last year. Heís getting on with his successful life, but he worries about his long term health.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd August 2021, 04:17 AM   #317
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Getting back to pure federal politics, I have now decided that I, a Labor voter from the womb, a true believer, light on the hill acolyte and hater of all things LNP, will not vote for a party led by Albanese next Federal election.

ALP will get my vote in Victoria, to the surprise of nobody.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd August 2021, 07:48 AM   #318
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Getting back to pure federal politics, I have now decided that I, a Labor voter from the womb, a true believer, light on the hill acolyte and hater of all things LNP, will not vote for a party led by Albanese next Federal election.

ALP will get my vote in Victoria, to the surprise of nobody.
If only NSW Labor was actually organised, I would vote for them. But nobody even knows their leader's name let alone policies! They are getting drowned out by the daily Gladys Show being flocked by the headline-chasers of the media.

And yeah, Albo is not Gough or Hawke or even Keating or Rudd. A drone, both in activity and voice.
Old 23rd August 2021, 07:56 AM   #319
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Delta is no more dangerous than the original.
Just that it is about 7 times more infectious, and has more vectors capable. So in a population it IS worse.

Quote:
Have you banned riding bicycles, climbing trees and all the other things killing more children than Covid?
It's lockdown. So yes.

Quote:
Comments like that are half the problem - Covid isn't Captain Trips, Ebola or even MERS. It's been proven to have a fatality rate 10 times more than influenza - not enough to create the climate of fear you're encouraging. With over 50s vaccinated, the obvious and sensible answer is to allow normality to recommence.
Last I heard, influenza was a mass killer too. We have it every year, yes? And have developed vaccines against it, yes? And COVID is 10 times more fatal and far more infectious. So totally "normal".

Quote:
And I do love the irony that in all of your crying about people dying you're ignoring the fact that lockdowns kill people as well. Lack of medical care, suicide and homicide are just three of the issues you're happy to ignore because you are personally scared ********.
You do know you sound just like those idiots parading in the streets of the world demanding their "freedumbs" while being superspreaders of this disease.

Quote:
No, the problem is needless fearmongering. People die every day, I'd suggest you learn to live with that unfortunate fact, or maybe join a church.
I guess the 4.5 million extra, avoidable deaths in this outbreak are expendable if it means getting business back up and running? Scomo the Church-goer thinks this too. So you have that in common.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...us-death-toll/
Old 23rd August 2021, 11:29 AM   #320
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

The big problem is that nobody knows the long term impact of covid, particularly on children. Itís a mighty gamble to just let it rip.
I disagree. At this stage of the pandemic, long Covid seems to be a very minor issue for kids, whereas we know very well what interrupting their education does, and all the impacts of that are negative, and often lifelong.

Which is the greater risk?

Personally, and I said this often last year, education is more important than Covid, in the case of children.

Thereís also the psychological impact on those infected. I mentioned in other threads that one of my sons got infected early last year. Heís getting on with his successful life, but he worries about his long term health.
I'm not sure that's relevant. I'd be telling him to forget about it.

You do know you sound just like those idiots parading in the streets of the world demanding their "freedumbs" while being superspreaders of this disease.
When lacking effective argument, resort to fallacious analogies.

How cute.

And followed up with a strawman, so double points for that:

I guess the 4.5 million extra, avoidable deaths in this outbreak are expendable if it means getting business back up and running?
(Bears no relationship to what I've said, which I repeat, was contingent upon high vaccination rates)

The only question I have is whether it's plain old stupidity or abject fear.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics