IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Ron DeSantis

Old 7th August 2021, 09:25 AM   #81
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
DeSantis is really ******* the neighbor's dog on COVID-19. He looked sort of presidential during the condo collapse and then flushed it all away with his weird ass response to the Delta varriant. He's now underwater on his approval rating with only 44 percent liking how he's doing his job. A strong, moderate Dem could probably unseat him in 2022. That would tank his 2024 presidential aspirations. Losing your office is not a great launch pad for a presidential campaign.
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
But the border*! The borrrderrrrrr!!!

*Squirrel
Florida is only going to get worse and worse. The death toll from COVID there is going to skyrocket. Desantis is going to have a problem being seen in public in the next couple of months.
Old 7th August 2021, 01:51 PM   #82
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
Operating rooms can have blood squirting all over the place and germs and sweat etc from the docs/nurses can drop into open bodies.

Have you ever thought about this?
So they wear masks to keep "germs" from dropping all over the open body of a patient. You do realize viruses are 'germs' and dropping that onto an open body is no different than a person breathing the 'germ' into their lungs or putting it in their mouth, don't you?

You disprove your own claim with your own words. As the saying goes: Give someone enough rope....
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 02:38 PM   #83
Caroline13
Graduate Poster

Repeating:

And the millions of OLD folks in FL all had jabs and probably all this is shedding and superspreaders. The old folks in FL are in god's waiting room, long before covid. And how many of the old folks are popping immune system Supports? Probably ZERO. Sitting around jabbed and muzzled. Yep this is the Truth.

The jabs are working, taking down all the old folks and immune compromised. The Libs plan.

Keep it Simple

Last edited by Caroline13; 7th August 2021 at 02:40 PM.
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 02:39 PM   #84
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Republicans treated Covid like a bioweapon. Then it turned against them

Quote:
Nevertheless, Democratic governors, Native nations and people with moderate-to-leftwing views have done a better job of protecting against this scourge. The worst-hit areas in the country are now Republican-led states and regions. At one point recently, Florida under raging science denier Governor Ron DeSantis, with about 7.5% of the US population, accounted for 20% of all new Covid cases.
Quote:
Measuring the impact of the pandemic by its death toll leaves out other impacts that matter: millions of schoolchildren isolated and undereducated, millions of parents exhausted by double duty, millions of small businesses shuttered, millions unemployed and impoverished, their dreams crushed, millions isolated and anxious, millions grieving the dead. Medical workers who were selflessly heroic the first time around are demoralized now that the hospitalised are so often people who could have been vaccinated, could have been careful, but chose not to. The poison runs through everything. Some of it was spread on purpose.
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...d-against-them
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 7th August 2021 at 02:40 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 02:39 PM   #85
Caroline13
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
So they wear masks to keep "germs" from dropping all over the open body of a patient. You do realize viruses are 'germs' and dropping that onto an open body is no different than a person breathing the 'germ' into their lungs or putting it in their mouth, don't you?

You disprove your own claim with your own words. As the saying goes: Give someone enough rope....
Our bodies are loaded with viruses. When did the U.S. start forcing masks????

Keep it Simple
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 02:52 PM   #86
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
In 1905 Boston issued a mandate for its citizens to get vaccinated for smallpox. Teams of doctors along with police went door to door to vaccinate individuals. If you refused they held you down and vaccinated you.

This mandate was appealed to the United States Supreme Court. The court ruled that the mandate was legal.
George Washington required Continental Army soldiers to be vaccinated against smallpox.
Therefore anti-vaxxers like Caroline are grossly unpatriotic, hate the father of the USA and should be expelled immediately.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 02:53 PM   #87
catsmate
No longer the 1

Repeating:

And the millions of OLD folks in FL all had jabs and probably all this is shedding and superspreaders. The old folks in FL are in god's waiting room, long before covid. And how many of the old folks are popping immune system Supports? Probably ZERO. Sitting around jabbed and muzzled. Yep this is the Truth.

The jabs are working, taking down all the old folks and immune compromised. The Libs plan.
Why do you hate the elderly? Do you think they should be euthanised when they become a burden?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 03:00 PM   #88
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

At least 103 years ago.

https://www.history.com/news/1918-pa...alth-campaigns
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 03:02 PM   #89
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

After graduating from Yale University and Harvard Law School, DeSantis served as an officer and attorney in the United States Navy's Judge Advocate General's Corps.
There are none none so stupid as the willfully stupid.
(John Heywood and Jonathan Swift, paraphrased.)
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 03:05 PM   #90
mgidm86
Philosopher

Folks, you are not required to participate in every argument you are invited to.
Old 7th August 2021, 03:06 PM   #91
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Repeating:

Tut tut. Restating a lie does not make it less of a lie - not even when bolded.

I think part of my previous post is relevant in this circumstance:
“….The only difference is they/you have access to a keyboard and there’s no IQ test required to drive one. It’s just so much easier to make up your own adventure.

Much like villages came up with local superstitions through ignorance, really, but without the geographical constraints. Another way of looking it is that the village idiots are now unencumbered by the village.”
Old 7th August 2021, 03:15 PM   #92
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

In 1905 Boston issued a mandate for its citizens to get vaccinated for smallpox. Teams of doctors along with police went door to door to vaccinate individuals. If you refused they held you down and vaccinated you.

This mandate was appealed to the United States Supreme Court. The court ruled that the mandate was legal.
The Court was all Libtards! Teddy Roosevelt was a commie! The vaccine killed millions! They burned the bodies in FEMA Camps! Smallpox germs have a right to live too! #hurrahforsmallpox

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard

Last edited by shemp; 7th August 2021 at 03:17 PM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 03:24 PM   #93
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
The Court was all Libtards! Teddy Roosevelt was a commie! The vaccine killed millions! They burned the bodies in FEMA Camps! Smallpox germs have a right to live too! #hurrahforsmallpox
That must be it. The Rough Rider Republican must have been a liberal.
Old 7th August 2021, 04:03 PM   #94
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Funny how the frail and elderly are doing much better here in New England. I guess our governors aren't as hungry for blood.
Old 7th August 2021, 04:48 PM   #95
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Repeating:

I know you'll totally ignore this and refuse to answer me because it opposes your worldview and you don't want anything that is contrary to your ideology to exist but have a go anyways and answer me two simple questions.

If it is the vaccines that are killing people then...

1) Why are over 99% of the deaths from Covid-19 amongst the unvaccinated?

and...

2) Here in New Zealand we have over 20% of the population vaccinated with the first shot and just under 20% with the second, yet the only 25 cases we have at this time are those that have come into the country from overseas and are still in managed isolation at the border. If the vaccines are responsible for turning people into shedders and super spreaders, how do you account for the zero transmission rates in the New Zealand community despite more than 1 in 5 people having been vaccinated with at least one shot?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 7th August 2021 at 04:49 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 04:50 PM   #96
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I know you'll totally ignore this and refuse to answer me because it opposes your worldview and you don't want anything that is contrary to your ideology to exist but have a go anyways and answer me two simple questions.

If it is the vaccines that are killing people then...

1) Why are over 99% of the deaths from Covid-19 amongst the unvaccinated?

and...

2) Here in New Zealand we have over 20% of the population vaccinated with the first shot and just under 20% with the second, yet the only 25 cases we have at this time are those that have come into the country from overseas and are still in managed isolation at the border. If the vaccines are responsible for turning people into shedders and super spreaders, how do you account for the zero transmission rates in the New Zealand community despite more than 1 in 5 people having been vaccinated with at least one shot?
Don't use logic. The anti-vaxxers don't understand logic.
Old 7th August 2021, 04:53 PM   #97
3point14
Pi

And MOST all I hear have degrees up the yangyang, but are NOT fear mongers like the Dems have been. And they push Vit C, Vit D etc....when did Joe and Tony mention these????/ NEVER, NEVER, NEVER... It's jab mask jab mask jab mask...

What do you know of 'The Scientific Method'?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 05:25 PM   #98
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

How many of those have killed 616,000 people in a year and a half?

How is wearing masks killing people?

Good god, why am I even responding to this load of crap? I might as well be trying to use logic on a box of rocks. Not any more. You can't fix.....

Last edited by Stacyhs; 7th August 2021 at 05:29 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 07:45 PM   #99
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

How many of those have killed 616,000 people in a year and a half?

How is wearing masks killing people?

Good god, why am I even responding to this load of crap? I might as well be trying to use logic on a box of rocks. Not any more. You can't fix.....
New Stats.

620,404 Americans dead from COVID

Florida set records for new COVID cases
Wednesday 21,683
Thursday 22,783
Friday 22,783

On Saturday, Florida recorded 13,747 hospitalizations related to Covid-19, with at least 2,753 patients in intensive care units statewide, accounting for 43 percent of the intensive care units beds available in the state.
Old 7th August 2021, 07:50 PM   #100
Warp12
Master Poster

New Stats.

620,404 Americans dead from COVID

Florida set records for new COVID cases
Wednesday 21,683
Thursday 22,783
Friday 22,783

On Saturday, Florida recorded 13,747 hospitalizations related to Covid-19, with at least 2,753 patients in intensive care units statewide, accounting for 43 percent of the intensive care units beds available in the state.
What are the odds?
Old 7th August 2021, 08:11 PM   #101
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
What are the odds?
Those aren't 'odds'; those are recorded C19 deaths.
Old 7th August 2021, 08:18 PM   #102
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Those aren't 'odds'; those are recorded C19 deaths.
New infections, but he was meaning that both days would have the same number of recorded infections.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 08:33 PM   #103
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

New infections, but he was meaning that both days would have the same number of recorded infections.
My mistake.

On Saturday, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported 23,903 new COVID-19 cases on Friday. The day before was another record-breaker: 22,783 new novel coronavirus cases.

How unsurprising that Warp12 focuses on what is obviously a simple mistake instead of focusing on what the numbers are showing: steadily increasing cases of Covid in FL thanks to DeSantis' idiotic policies.
Old 7th August 2021, 08:36 PM   #104
Warp12
Master Poster

How unsurprising that Warp12 focuses on what is obviously a simple mistake instead of focusing on what the numbers are showing: steadily increasing cases of Covid in FL thanks to DeSantis' idiotic policies.
Incorrect. The fact of the matter is, the way these numbers are reported is often dependent on the day of the week. For example, you will often see that the death numbers magically are vastly lower Saturday through Monday.

I have seen at least one state reporting backlogged cases, when they could get to them...leading to completely inaccurate reported numbers.

I think we can all agree, that if the numbers for both days are exactly the same, when of that magnitude, that we might look for a different source or explanation.

Last edited by Warp12; 7th August 2021 at 08:39 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 08:51 PM   #105
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Incorrect. The fact of the matter is, the way these numbers are reported is often dependent on the day of the week. For example, you will often see that the death numbers magically are vastly lower Saturday through Monday.

I have seen at least one state reporting backlogged cases, when they could get to them...leading to completely inaccurate reported numbers.

I think we can all agree, that if the numbers for both days are exactly the same, when of that magnitude, that we might look for a different source or explanation.
Um...no. That was not a copy paste quote cited from a website. That was obviously a mistake by acbytesla. He just pasted the same number from one day for the next day, too. Just stop being so disingenuous. You fool no one.
Old 7th August 2021, 09:16 PM   #106
Warp12
Master Poster

Um...no. That was not a copy paste quote cited from a website. That was obviously a mistake by acbytesla. He just pasted the same number from one day for the next day, too. Just stop being so disingenuous. You fool no one.
Based on what I have seen with shoddy reporting of these numbers (as I explained), I would not assume that. But, you can assume whatever you like.

Last edited by Warp12; 7th August 2021 at 09:21 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 09:19 PM   #107
Warp12
Master Poster

EDIT: Duplicate post.

Last edited by Warp12; 7th August 2021 at 09:22 PM.
Old 7th August 2021, 09:21 PM   #108
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Based on what I have seen with shoddy reporting of these numbers, I would not assume that. But, you can assume whatever you like.
If your benchmark for "shoddy reporting if these numbers" is based on the fact that the numbers for weekends are often delayed to Monday or Tuesday, something that has occurred since the numbers were first reported last year, and why most serious people use weekly totals, then that's a pretty low bar.

Old 7th August 2021, 09:24 PM   #109
Warp12
Master Poster

If your benchmark for "shoddy reporting if these numbers" is based on the fact that the numbers for weekends are often delayed to Monday or Tuesday, something that has occurred since the numbers were first reported last year, and why most serious people use weekly totals, then that's a pretty low bar.
Quote:
Any other options we might want to throw in, and excuse, when someone quotes daily totals? You folks are comical.
Old 7th August 2021, 09:26 PM   #110
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Some people have to grasp for straws because that's all they've got. Pathetic.
Old 7th August 2021, 09:30 PM   #111
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Any other options we might want to throw in, and excuse, when someone quotes daily totals? You folks are comical.
Well then how about that the 10-day number from Jun 25 was 15,998, The 10-day number from July 30th was 134,506. A ten-fold increase in just one month, but hey, you just keep on laughing it up.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 7th August 2021 at 09:33 PM. Reason: misread the start date on chart
Old 7th August 2021, 09:32 PM   #112
Warp12
Master Poster

Some people have to grasp for straws because that's all they've got. Pathetic.
What straws? Straws like the same exact number of high volume cases reported for two days is suspect? For me, if my source reports that, I am looking for another source, or relying on a different metric.

I think you are caught up in your feelings, again. You somehow see this as a defense of DeSantis, when it is not. It is commentary on the numbers, and the odds of them being exactly the same. No more, no less.
Old 7th August 2021, 09:34 PM   #113
Warp12
Master Poster

Well then how about that the 10-day number on Jun 25 was 15,998, The 10-day number on July 30th was 134,506. A ten-fold increase in just one month, but hey, you just keep on laughing it up.
Did I dispute anything of the sort? My comment was on the numbers, as posted, being an unlikely coincidence. You even clarified that. That is pointing to the source, not the overall data.
Old 7th August 2021, 09:37 PM   #114
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You want to focus on an obvious number paste mistake by acbytesla in an attempt to deflect from the fact that DeSantis is doing a crap job re Covid.

Quote:
About 1 in 5 Covid-19 cases have been reported in Florida over the past couple weeks, though the state accounts for less than 7% of the US population, according to US Census Bureau data.

With the data published Friday, Florida now has the second-highest rate of new cases per capita – after Louisiana – with about 90 new cases per 100,000 people each day over the past week. Overall, the United States is averaging about 30 new cases per 100,000 people each day.

Florida reported 175 deaths and a new case positivity rate of 18.9%, state data shows.

Even before the release of Friday’s data, Florida had become the epicenter of the Covid-19 pandemic in the US, which is reeling from a surge of cases and hospitalizations propelled by the Delta variant.

In addition to infections, hospitalizations are also climbing. The state has the highest number of hospitalizations per capita nationwide, with 63 hospitalizations per 100,000 residents, according to a CNN analysis of Johns Hopkins and US Health and Human Services data.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/06/us/fl...day/index.html

Why this need to make excuses for it?
Old 7th August 2021, 09:38 PM   #115
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Did I dispute anything of the sort? My comment was on the numbers, as posted, being an unlikely coincidence. You even clarified that. That is pointing to the source, not the overall data.
And as Stacyhs pointed out, the source was correct, it was the poster that seems to have messed up the numbers. Instead of making a big thing about how untrustworthy the numbers are, you could have just asked acbytesla if he'd accidentally misread the numbers while typing the post.

Old 7th August 2021, 09:39 PM   #116
Warp12
Master Poster

Why this need to make excuses for it?
Seriously, what are you talking about?
Old 7th August 2021, 09:39 PM   #117
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Bull. It was an obvious mistake by acbystesla, not the source.
Old 7th August 2021, 09:41 PM   #118
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

And as Stacyhs pointed out, the source was correct, it was the poster that seems to have messed up the numbers. Instead of making a big thing about how untrustworthy the numbers are, you could have just asked acbytesla if he'd accidentally misread the numbers while typing the post.
Exactly. The disingenuousness of Warp12's posts are obvious. It's just trolling.
Old 7th August 2021, 09:42 PM   #119
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Seriously, what are you talking about?
No one else is having trouble understanding what I'm saying.
Old 7th August 2021, 09:45 PM   #120
Warp12
Master Poster

Exactly. The disingenuousness of Warp12's posts are obvious. It's just trolling.
Yeah, sure, that's it.

I'll just assume that the numbers were quoted wrong, even after I watched the numbers daily, for months...and witnessed crazy variations and retractions, right? That's why the source is very important...especially if you are going to quote daily numbers....which I would not quote, honestly.

I don't even dispute the overall trend, or try to defend DeSantis...but, that isn't good enough. Ridiculous.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics