IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Ron DeSantis

Old 11th August 2021, 02:25 AM   #201
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
So they had the vaccine and are all ok but that's not because of the vaccine but the grape seed extract they take, in fact the vaccine is dangerous but the grape seed extract protected them from it and from Covid? Is that really what you're saying?

Isn't the simplest explanation that the vaccine is not harmful and protects them from Covid? That's what it's designed for...
Hopefully you don't think any of what 'she' posts is true.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 11:09 AM   #202
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
[FOXNews]

What is happening in Florida right now is a clear indication that "Sleepy" Joe Biden is snoozing through the Covid pandemic and has squandered the position than President Trump left him with - a Trump vaccine effective at controlling the China Virus and a falling infection rate.

Shame on him for failing to support Ron DeSantis and for turning the suffering of Floridians into a political football.

[/FOXNews]
What's sad is that I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not because it could well be something you'd hear on Fox.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 11:21 AM   #203
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
I have 3 friends who did the jabs, ages 94, 90, 89 and they could likely be in a bad way by now, BUT, they all take Grape Seed Extract and have good strong immune systems. And those folks in FL are NOT taking much in the way antioxidants, I'd Bet....so the jab is getting them weaker, not stronger.
So they had the vaccine and are all ok but that's not because of the vaccine but the grape seed extract they take, in fact the vaccine is dangerous but the grape seed extract protected them from it and from Covid? Is that really what you're saying?

Isn't the simplest explanation that the vaccine is not harmful and protects them from Covid? That's what it's designed for...
Nobody in their 90's has a 'good strong immune system'... grape seed extract, vitamins A-Z, and everything else they can throw at it isn't going to create one in people in their 90's.

This explains what happens to our immune system as we age especially over age 70.
https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/30/...y-for-elderly/
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 04:17 PM   #204
mgidm86
Philosopher

This will be the post that finally convince Caroline13 that she's wrong, I just know it.
Old 11th August 2021, 04:29 PM   #205
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Wow, he's asking for out of state help for his hospitals and he's not only not ordering changing of behavior but he's also trying to prevent any leaders from mandating changing behaviors. DeSantis is as ****** as a football bat. What a craven piece of ****. Truly, the people of Florida would have been better off if DeSantis's parents had ******** that night instead of having genital sex that led to his conception.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 04:41 PM   #206
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Wow, he's asking for out of state help for his hospitals and he's not only not ordering changing of behavior but he's also trying to prevent any leaders from mandating changing behaviors. DeSantis is as ****** as a football bat. What a craven piece of ****. Truly, the people of Florida would have been better off if DeSantis's parents had ******** that night instead of having genital sex that led to his conception.
Man, I am glad I am living 2000 miles away from this moron.
Only good news is that this seems to be backfiring as far as his chances for the White House in 2024. He is becoming so toxic to people outisde the base that it will hurt his chances of getting the 2024 GOP nod.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 11th August 2021 at 04:44 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 05:08 PM   #207
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Only good news is that this seems to be backfiring as far as his chances for the White House in 2024. He is becoming so toxic to people outisde the base that it will hurt his chances of getting the 2024 GOP nod.
I understand his plan is to send grape seed extract to every household. Expect to see hospitalizations plummet as those immune systems kick into high gear! If you're more sophisticated, you can get imported extract from la belle France. Oo la la! C'est magnifique!

Old 11th August 2021, 05:23 PM   #208
slyjoe
Master Poster

You're not QUITE that far away. Ducey in Arizona is pulling the same crap.

So about 650 miles.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 05:25 PM   #209
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
You're not QUITE that far away. Ducey in Arizona is pulling the same crap.

So about 650 miles.
Yep.

https://www.kold.com/2021/08/11/repu...ndating-masks/
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 05:35 PM   #210
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Broward County School Board is defying DeSantis' no mask ban. Good for them.
In Texas, the five biggest city school districts just defied Governor Abbot and instituted a mask policy.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 05:36 PM   #211
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

One thing I've notice about right wing Republicans is that they highly resent authorities telling them what to do but have no problem with those same authorities telling others what they can't do.
Old 11th August 2021, 05:38 PM   #212
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
In Texas, the five biggest city school districts just defied Governor Abbot and instituted a mask policy.
Good. What's he going to do? Cut off all those teachers', principals', vice-principals', etc salaries? That ought to earn him a lot of support.
Old 11th August 2021, 06:30 PM   #213
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And we have the first Tropical storm of the season approaching FLorida.
God, I don't even want to think about a major league Hurricane hitting Florida now.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 06:31 PM   #214
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Good. What's he going to do? Cut off all those teachers', principals', vice-principals', etc salaries? That ought to earn him a lot of support.
In Texas, it just might.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th August 2021, 06:43 PM   #215
jadebox
Master Poster

And we have the first Tropical storm of the season approaching FLorida.
God, I don't even want to think about a major league Hurricane hitting Florida now.
Not the first. Right now Fred seems to be following almost the same path as Elsa earlier this year.

But, yeah ... a major storm heading our way would be devastating in more ways than usual.

I had to go to a store yesterday. More than half the people shopping were not wearing masks even though the sign at the door asked that everyone wear one. I use to defend Florida when people disparaged the state. Now, I just nod slowly and sigh.

Last edited by jadebox; 11th August 2021 at 06:48 PM.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 06:44 PM   #216
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Meanwhile:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DESANTIS SCHOOL.jpg (54.9 KB, 15 views)

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 12:54 AM   #217
Lurch
Graduate Poster

I don't know about the country, but a few states sure do seem to have a ravenous thirst for blood, misery and death. With hospitals at or nearing capacity, and more children succumbing, that hordes of adults are still squawking about "muh frredumb!" and going maskless and vaccine-free bespeaks of a nihilistic biting off of the nose to spite the face.

It's just mass insanity that will provide fodder for future generations to marvel over. I hope. If the country doesn't swirl all the way down the drain.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 05:45 AM   #218
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect things will change only after thousands of Florida (and Texas and Arizona) kids die of this disease in a few months.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 05:47 AM   #219
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

At this point if I hear a knock at my door, open it, only to see Ron DeSantis standing there and before I can ask him what the hell he wants he sprays me in the face with concentrated essence of Covid, then knees me in the crotch before walking off I wouldn't be surprised.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 06:17 AM   #220
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
At this point if I hear a knock at my door, open it, only to see Ron DeSantis standing there and before I can ask him what the hell he wants he sprays me in the face with concentrated essence of Covid, then knees me in the crotch before walking off I wouldn't be surprised.
Georgia Gov Kemp is basically doing the same stuff. He's gotten into a public spat with Atlanta Mayor Bottoms over her city-wide mask mandate, going so far as to inform every university and state building within the city that they are not allowed to enforce the mask mandate, or allow city police to enforce it either.

For Universities, they're not allowed to mandate masks, not allowed to mandate vaccines, not allowed to mandate testing, not even allowed to ask about vaccination status, and all classes are mandatory to be held in person. It's like they're trying to kill people off.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 06:26 AM   #221
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Short of making it illegal to not get Covid and die I don't know how much more on the diseases side they could really get.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 06:33 AM   #222
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Don't be silly.

He would never do that, without afterwards telling you to get back to work to get the economy working again.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 06:42 AM   #223
Belz...
Fiend God

Short of making it illegal to not get Covid and die I don't know how much more on the diseases side they could really get.
DeSantis/COVID 2024!

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 07:25 AM   #224
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
DeSantis/COVID 2024!
The bizarre thing is that a significant minority of Americans seem to support policies like those implemented by Ron DeSantis and are vehemently against vaccination against Covid, mask use, social distancing or anything whatsoever to minimise the effects of Covid.

I mean I get that there might be a few cranks and loonies (like in the UK), but for the mainstream supporters of one of the two major parties in many states to behave like this is mind-blowing.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 07:33 AM   #225
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Because in the UK you guys don't have one party that is so hated that ~40% of the population will vote to elect a Praying Mantis with the head of Deep Sea Angler Fish in a Nazi SS Uniform who they will follow happily into the gates of Hell, acting against their own desires and self interests, if there is even a chance that doing it will tweak that other side.

The Right has announced it's intent and desire to sink the whole ship and happily go down with it just to drown the Left. I don't know how well that mentality really translates to other countries.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 12th August 2021 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12th August 2021, 07:36 AM   #226
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Because in the UK you guys don't have one party that is so hated that ~40% of the population will vote to elect the a Deep Sea Angler Fish in a Nazi SS Uniform who they will follow happily into the gates of Hell, acting against their own desires and self interests, just to piss them off.

The Right will sink the whole ship and happily go down with it just to drown the Left. I don't know how well that mentality really translates to other countries.
....and yet the individual policies of that hated party, whether it's on healthcare, infrastructure spending, gun control, education, immigration or whatever are popular.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 07:38 AM   #227
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

....and yet the individual policies of that hated party, whether it's on healthcare, infrastructure spending, gun control, education, immigration or whatever are popular.
Because we don't have an even system. That ~40% of the people consistently maintain 50-80% of the power.

And even 40% of the power is a lot when your intent is just to pull the whole system down on everyone's head.

Our system has failsafes, but not against nihilistic trolls with nothing to lose.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 12th August 2021 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12th August 2021, 07:47 AM   #228
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Literally suing them.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 07:51 AM   #229
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Because we don't have an even system. That ~40% of the people consistently maintain 50-80% of the power.

And even 40% of the power is a lot when your intent is just to pull the whole system down on everyone's head.

Our system has failsafes, but not against nihilistic trolls with nothing to lose.
Don't get me started on the American political system. I think it is a disaster. I think we would be better off today if the Brits had won the revolution.
Old 12th August 2021, 07:55 AM   #230
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Delete
Old 12th August 2021, 08:03 AM   #231
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Because we don't have an even system. That ~40% of the people consistently maintain 50-80% of the power..
Yep, to state the obvious, we really have to get rid of the Senate. Especially since no one votes like it is the "upper house" any longer (assuming anyone ever did).

Electoral College is less broken, but it's broken too.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 08:12 AM   #232
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Yep, to state the obvious, we really have to get rid of the Senate. Especially since no one votes like it is the "upper house" any longer (assuming anyone ever did).

I think we should go to a parliamentary system. We've given way too much power to empty land.
Old 12th August 2021, 08:15 AM   #233
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post

No it makes perfect sense that Wyoming gets as many Senators as it has goddamn escalators and it makes perfect sense that it's a point we have to "civilly debate" why a Senator that represents 240,000 people and a Senator that represents 8.4 million shouldn't have equal political power because "but mah states rights" and to suggest otherwise is absurd.

Right now the Senate is tied 50/50. Those 50 Democratic Senators represent 41 million more Americans than the 50 Republican Senators.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 12th August 2021 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12th August 2021, 08:15 AM   #234
Armitage72
Philosopher

The bizarre thing is that a significant minority of Americans seem to support policies like those implemented by Ron DeSantis and are vehemently against vaccination against Covid, mask use, social distancing or anything whatsoever to minimise the effects of Covid.

I mean I get that there might be a few cranks and loonies (like in the UK), but for the mainstream supporters of one of the two major parties in many states to behave like this is mind-blowing.

It's like the claims after 9/11 that "if we change our way of life, the terrorists win", or the commercials for diet pills that say they'll let you lose huge amounts of weight without dieting, exercising, or changing your lifestyle in any way.
People want problems to be solved without having to change their behavior or make any effort themselves. If they have to do something different in their life, then there's something wrong with the solution.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 08:19 AM   #235
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It's like the claims after 9/11 that "if we change our way of life, the terrorists win", or the commercials for diet pills that say they'll let you lose huge amounts of weight without dieting, exercising, or changing your lifestyle in any way.
People want problems to be solved without having to change their behavior or make any effort themselves. If they have to do something different in their life, then there's something wrong with the solution.
It's not even that. I pine for the days when people were just stupid.

Now they are stupid and the solution they've all agreed on to how to deal with the fact they are stupid is "Can't nobody be stupid if everyone is dead."

Old 12th August 2021, 09:25 AM   #236
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Because in the UK you guys don't have one party that is so hated that ~40% of the population will vote to elect a Praying Mantis with the head of Deep Sea Angler Fish in a Nazi SS Uniform who they will follow happily into the gates of Hell, acting against their own desires and self interests, if there is even a chance that doing it will tweak that other side.

The Right has announced it's intent and desire to sink the whole ship and happily go down with it just to drown the Left. I don't know how well that mentality really translates to other countries.
The GQP pushed that iceberg right into the path of the Titanic because there were liberals on board! #gqpsankthetitanic

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 09:28 AM   #237
jollyroger85
Banned

Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
like we had with Obama...gotta get rid of the Old Blood.

Ronald Dion DeSantis (born September 14, 1978) is an American politician and attorney serving as the 46th governor of Florida since 2019. A member of the Republican Party, he represented Florida's 6th congressional district in the United States House of Representatives from 2013 to 2018.

After graduating from Yale University and Harvard Law School, DeSantis served as an officer and attorney in the United States Navy's Judge Advocate General's Corps. He was elected to the House of Representatives in 2012. DeSantis was a candidate in Florida's 2016 U.S. Senate election, but he withdrew when incumbent senator Marco Rubio announced that he would seek reelection. He then opted to run for reelection to his U.S. House seat. During his tenure in Congress, he became a staunch ally of President Donald Trump. DeSantis made frequent criticisms of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into alleged Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

On August 28, 2018, DeSantis won the Republican primary for the gubernatorial election. He was officially certified as the winner of the general election on November 20, 2018, after a machine recount, defeating the Democratic nominee, Tallahassee mayor Andrew Gillum. At 42, he is the youngest governor in the United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_DeSantis
Maybe this has been covered already, he is a complete scumbag who has ignored and tweaked Covid numbers and has that blood on his hands. He belongs in prison being given daily if not hourly beatings.
jollyroger85 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 10:34 AM   #238
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
This from your link:
DeSantis:
“The path forward relies on personal responsibility—not government mandates,” said Abbott. “The State of Texas will continue to vigorously fight the temporary restraining order to protect the rights and freedoms of all Texans.”

The problem is that so many Texans (and people in general) don't exercise personal responsibility and largely due to people like Abbott and other GOP who have put partisan politics ahead of the public good.

Does Abbott think that there should be no seat belt laws or laws against drunk driving or speeding laws because that should be left up to personal responsibility?

This is the hill that Abbott, DeSantis, Kemp and other stupid, stupid, stupid people have decided to die on. Many literally will die but they'd rather die than be told to wear a damn mask or get a shot for the common good of the country. Why? Because of some distorted view that this will take away their FREEDOMS. The fact is, if people actually were personally responsible, we wouldn't need most laws like those I've mentioned. But they're not.
Old 12th August 2021, 10:45 AM   #239
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You have to understand the Right and the GOP base are terrified, I mean white as a ghost petrified, of the idea of the government doing something good and effectively. To them having to watch the government actually solve a problem will shatter their world view to the point we might as well force them to look at the creatures from Birdbox.

"Government is bad, and to prove it we will govern badly" is really not even the subtext anymore, it's the text.

Because they have perverted and toxified "freedom" as a concept into a sad, pathetic, edgelord game of "You can't tell me what to do" and think that's the same thing.

DeSantis isn't (that kind of) stupid. He knows people aren't just going to voluntarily not be stupid evil douchebags. He's counting on it.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 12th August 2021 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12th August 2021, 10:59 AM   #240
Belz...
Fiend God

You have to understand the Right and the GOP base are terrified, I mean white as a ghost petrified, of the idea of the government doing something good and effectively. To them having to watch the government actually solve a problem will shatter their world view to the point we might as well force them to look at the creatures from Birdbox.

"Government is bad, and to prove it we will govern badly" is really not even the subtext anymore, it's the text.

Because they have perverted and toxified "freedom" as a concept into a sad, pathetic, edgelord game of "You can't tell me what to do" and think that's the same thing.
Yep.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics