IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd September 2021, 05:39 AM   #201
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
What happens to the AZ "audit team" if the majority of them die? Does the audit just...end? Or simply go into stasis forever? Perhaps a ruling from the AZ congress might use that possibility to shut down this ridiculous waste of time and money.
The AZ Senate asked for the audit, hired Cyber Ninjas, and used taxpayer money to (partially) FUND the audit, so I don't think you can look to legislators.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2021, 06:32 AM   #202
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Some of those that hold office, are taking pills made for horses.

Some of those up in Congress, ARE TAKING PILLS MADE FOR HORSES!

UGH!
Pilling in the name of!

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2021, 06:54 AM   #203
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Owens claims a private clinic refused to provide her testing services, wrote a letter explaining they don't want anything to do with someone spreading propaganda that is harmful to public health. They recommended she try a free kiosk down by city hall that doesn't take appointments and has slow, unreliable results.

Sucks to suck!

https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/sta...50041314136067
Old 2nd September 2021, 07:56 AM   #204
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Owens claims a private clinic refused to provide her testing services, wrote a letter explaining they don't want anything to do with someone spreading propaganda that is harmful to public health. They recommended she try a free kiosk down by city hall that doesn't take appointments and has slow, unreliable results.

Sucks to suck!

https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/sta...50041314136067
I don't know. I think it goes against the Hipocratic oath. Clinics should not be allowed to do that. Call me a communist.
Old 2nd September 2021, 08:08 AM   #205
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
I don't know. I think it goes against the Hipocratic oath. Clinics should not be allowed to do that. Call me a communist.
Something that's not talked about enough is the toll this prolonged pandemic (especially in the US) is having on healthcare workers. Not just in the most immediate sense that many are catching covid and dying, but in the sense that dealing with an endless wave of dying patients is a soul-crushing, intensely demoralizing state of affairs. Having to wade through this much misery and death only to see a large portion of the population actively sabotage public health measures is simply incomprehensible.

We're pushing these people to the breaking point and beyond. A bit of righteous fury is more that justifiable.

It's a private clinic offering diagnostics, not a hospital treating an emergency condition. Telling some CHUD propagandist to hit the bricks is commendable.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 2nd September 2021 at 08:12 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2021, 08:21 AM   #206
Susheel
Master Poster

...hat justifiable.

It's a private clinic offering diagnostics, not a hospital treating an emergency condition. Telling some CHUD propagandist to hit the bricks is commendable.
I get that. But it is still an essential medical service. Look, I have a pretty relativistic world view...and while I don't mind being derisive of the loony pro-pandemic crowd, I do believe that refusing medical aid is a bad thing. This is not to say I don't feel a sense of schadenfreude, but there is also some guilt.

As for the health workers...this is where I am appalled that in the midst of this pandemic, bothe in the USA and here in India, no one has brought up the importance of reviving a robust well staffed public health care system. The for profit Industry is not cut out to handle a public crisis.
Old 2nd September 2021, 08:35 AM   #207
Disbelief
Master Poster

Not doctors, they are just providing a service. They even informed her of another free option that she can utilize, so they provided her with help.

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2021, 08:44 AM   #208
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Hippocratic oath applies to doctors only. Doctors are not needed to be a part of the staff at a testing clinic.

Oh, and: You're a communist!
Old 2nd September 2021, 08:47 AM   #209
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post
Not doctors, they are just providing a service. They even informed her of another free option that she can utilize, so they provided her with help.
I am aware of that little niggly qualification. However, in my mind, it is still a medical service, and what could essentially provide life saving information for her treatment.

We ate also aware that the other service is slow and not very reliable. So hypothetically ( I reluctantly use the term considering some recent threads), if her condition proves fatal after a botched/delayed result, how accountable is the initial provider for refusing service? I know it being the US, there is a lot of protection available for large private players.
Old 2nd September 2021, 08:53 AM   #210
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Oh, and: You're a communist!
If only that was all I was, life would have been better.

I happen to be told I am also a Jihadi traitor, antinational, liberal, communist agent of the Vatican in the Pay of the Pakistan Intelligence service. It's just too much responsibility. I need to resign from a few.
Old 2nd September 2021, 08:55 AM   #211
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

I happen to be told I am also a Jihadi traitor, antinational, liberal, communist agent of the Vatican in the Pay of the Pakistan Intelligence service. It's just too much responsibility. I need to resign from a few.
Quite the busy life you have going there. Looks like being a communist is the easy part.
Old 2nd September 2021, 09:01 AM   #212
Susheel
Master Poster

You have no idea. I don't even know who I am supposed to ask about my salary. You have Soros's number?
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:36 AM   #213
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You have no idea. I don't even know who I am supposed to ask about my salary. You have Soros's number?
You just slay me!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:43 AM   #214
Venom
Philosopher

Tulsi Gabbard wishing Joe Rogan a speedy recovery, being super duper careful not to step on any reality-denier toes among her followers. I was surprised by how many of these ******* morons follow her.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:13 PM   #215
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You just slay me!
🤗 Thank you...☺
Old 2nd September 2021, 03:35 PM   #216
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Instead of advising Candace O of an alternate clinic, they should have recommended veterinary Ivermectin to be rubbed under each arm. It's the CHUD treatment-of-choice, apparemtly.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2021, 07:56 PM   #217
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Something that's not talked about enough is the toll this prolonged pandemic (especially in the US) is having on healthcare workers. Not just in the most immediate sense that many are catching covid and dying, but in the sense that dealing with an endless wave of dying patients is a soul-crushing, intensely demoralizing state of affairs. Having to wade through this much misery and death only to see a large portion of the population actively sabotage public health measures is simply incomprehensible.

We're pushing these people to the breaking point and beyond. A bit of righteous fury is more that justifiable.

Along with the bizarre subset of hospital workers, primarily nurses IIRC, who won’t vax.

[Cliff Clavin] What’s up with that? [/CC]

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 2nd September 2021 at 07:58 PM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2021, 08:05 PM   #218
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Along with the bizarre subset of hospital workers, primarily nurses IIRC, who won’t vax.
As a profession, nursing attracts a lot of people of excellent character and practical sense. Unfortunately it also attracts a number of deeply, deeply crazy people. Most nurses are wonderful human beings. The crazy ones, however, are crazy right to the bone.
Old 2nd September 2021, 10:09 PM   #219
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
As a profession, nursing attracts a lot of people of excellent character and practical sense. Unfortunately it also attracts a number of deeply, deeply crazy people. Most nurses are wonderful human beings. The crazy ones, however, are crazy right to the bone.
Yep. My sister, a Veterans Hospital ER nurse for many years, had a really crazy one for a boss. Everyone knew she was a whacko but, as a government employee, getting her fired was a years long effort that finally succeeded.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2021, 05:55 AM   #220
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Yep. My sister, a Veterans Hospital ER nurse for many years, had a really crazy one for a boss. Everyone knew she was a whacko but, as a government employee, getting her fired was a years long effort that finally succeeded.
At first, I misread that as "a Veterinarians Hospital ER nurse" and was going to ask if your sister was named Janice.
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2021, 06:27 AM   #221
angrysoba
Philosophile

Joe Rogan has covid. Honestly, him dropping dead after dosing himself with the entire kitchen sink of woo medicines would probably go a looooong way in convincing a lot of dude-bro vax "skeptics" to stop screwing around. Alternatively, him recovering will probably lead to an explosion of people claiming the miracle drugs work.

Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/01/10334...vid-ivermectin
David Gorski has said about Joe Rogan, and also about those who try woo meds as well as conventional meds that what happens is this:

1.) Recover, credit the woo meds.
2.) Die, the conventional meds get blamed.

Same thing will happen here.

1.) Rogan recovers; expect a run on horse paste.
2.) Rogan dies ("he was using monoclonal antibodies. I expect that counteracted the help he was getting from Ivermectin. Down with Science! Down with Fauci!")
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2021, 07:42 AM   #222
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Some of those that hold office, are taking pills made for horses.

Some of those up in Congress, ARE TAKING PILLS MADE FOR HORSES!

UGH!
Well, I’m banging my head to this, even if no-one else is.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2021, 02:35 PM   #223
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
Well, I’m banging my head to this, even if no-one else is.

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Pilling in the name of!

"just the flu's" what they told ya...

Old 3rd September 2021, 02:41 PM   #224
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
David Gorski has said about Joe Rogan, and also about those who try woo meds as well as conventional meds that what happens is this:

1.) Recover, credit the woo meds.
2.) Die, the conventional meds get blamed.

Same thing will happen here.

1.) Rogan recovers; expect a run on horse paste.
2.) Rogan dies ("he was using monoclonal antibodies. I expect that counteracted the help he was getting from Ivermectin. Down with Science! Down with Fauci!")
TBH, both those outcomes are a nett gain for the USA. Either Rogan dies, or Rogan lives and a whole bunch of lunatic oxygen-thieves die as a result.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2021, 07:14 PM   #225
zorro99
Graduate Poster

Joe Rogan Tests Negative for COVID 2 Days After Revealing Positive Test
Fri, September 3, 2021, 3:29 PM

Conservative podcaster Joe Rogan has tested negative for COVID-19… two days after revealing he had tested positive for the virus.

The host behind the popular “Joe Rogan Experience” podcast updated his Instagram followers Friday on his condition, sharing a photo of his negative diagnosis and writing, “Tested negative today! Thanks for all the kind wishes!”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...ycsrp_catchall
Old 5th September 2021, 07:17 PM   #226
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I guess horse paste saved his miserable worthless hide.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2021, 08:10 PM   #227
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

So Rogan had a false positive? I don't get it. Though his taking the horse-dewormer makes me laugh.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2021, 08:15 PM   #228
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
“Tested negative today! Thanks for all the kind wishes!”
That's got to stick in some craw, right there.
Old 5th September 2021, 08:24 PM   #229
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
I'm sure it was the ivermectin that cured him, right, sir drinks?
Old 5th September 2021, 08:35 PM   #230
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

I'm sure it was the ivermectin that cured him, right, sir drinks?
Tested negative today!
Old 5th September 2021, 08:41 PM   #231
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Why?

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2021, 09:57 PM   #232
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Tested negative today!
That's not answering the question now, is it?
Old 5th September 2021, 10:15 PM   #233
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Fri, September 3, 2021, 3:29 PM

Conservative podcaster Joe Rogan has tested negative for COVID-19… two days after revealing he had tested positive for the virus.

The host behind the popular “Joe Rogan Experience” podcast updated his Instagram followers Friday on his condition, sharing a photo of his negative diagnosis and writing, “Tested negative today! Thanks for all the kind wishes!”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...ycsrp_catchall
Just a sec.

Who said he tested positive again? HE did? Anyone else confirm that he was actually positive? Or is he just doing a Donny and calling a slight head-cold "COVID" to impress the rubes?
Old 6th September 2021, 11:39 AM   #234
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

He should be imprisoned for public endangerment for this stunt.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2021, 05:13 AM   #235
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Just a sec.

Who said he tested positive again? HE did? Anyone else confirm that he was actually positive? Or is he just doing a Donny and calling a slight head-cold "COVID" to impress the rubes?
Plenty of people get mild cases of covid that pass quickly without any serious medical care, even now in the days of delta. Maybe he's lying, maybe not. Him getting sick, feeling bad for a few days, and getting better is an entirely plausible scenario.

Of course, Joe Rogan getting covid and getting better will almost certainly be taken as a sign that the quack cures work, rather than the more obvious scenario that he simply did not have a severe infection and would have got better just as quickly had he done nothing.

ETA: I suspect that, for a lot of these covid "skeptics", toughing it out through a mild case is a badge of honor. Sticking it to the man by getting a preventable disease and suffering no serious harm.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 7th September 2021 at 05:16 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2021, 07:05 AM   #236
crescent
Illuminator

Just a sec.

Also, some of the rapid tests have relatively high rates of inaccurate results.

We took our daughter in for a rapid test a few weeks ago after her best friend tested positive. It was one of the test that only takes 15 minutes or so to get results back. The results were negative, but daughter had a slight "fever". Based on that, the Doctor gave us a pretty long discussion of how she didn't really trust the rapid test results due to the false positives and false negatives that she has seen with those kits.

Alas, the "fever" was a result of daughter insisting on wearing black leggings and a hoodie when it is 95 degrees outside and in a building with poor air conditioning. She's a teenager.

Anyway, as for Rogan, he might just have gotten a false positive from a home rapid test kit, or somehow did the test wrong or misinterpreted the results.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2021, 09:17 AM   #237
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Anyway, as for Rogan, he might just have gotten a false positive from a home rapid test kit, or somehow did the test wrong or misinterpreted the results.
Perhaps he didn't have Covid, but the horse parasites he carries did.
Old 7th September 2021, 10:26 AM   #238
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Perhaps he didn't have Covid, but the horse parasites he carries did.
I hope someone whispers "Blücher!" in his ear just to see what happens.
Old 7th September 2021, 12:17 PM   #239
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Plenty of people get mild cases of covid that pass quickly without any serious medical care, even now in the days of delta. Maybe he's lying, maybe not. Him getting sick, feeling bad for a few days, and getting better is an entirely plausible scenario.
Sure, he may have genuinely gotten a slight fever for a day or two. Plenty of mild viruses can do that. As I said, a slight head cold perhaps. But COVID? Unless he was already fully vaccinated, COVID tends to lay you low for some time - weeks.

Quote:
Of course, Joe Rogan getting covid and getting better will almost certainly be taken as a sign that the quack cures work, rather than the more obvious scenario that he simply did not have a severe infection and would have got better just as quickly had he done nothing.

ETA: I suspect that, for a lot of these covid "skeptics", toughing it out through a mild case is a badge of honor. Sticking it to the man by getting a preventable disease and suffering no serious harm.
...while unknowingly infecting everyone they come in contact with and potentially killing them. Being a superspreader. Some badge of honour!

Also, plenty of these "tough guys" have died realising only at the end this was a killer they could not out-tough. All their bravado and muscles and guns and belief in Jeebus were useless. Only medical science held the answer, and they turned that down.
Old 7th September 2021, 12:19 PM   #240
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Sure, he may have genuinely gotten a slight fever for a day or two. Plenty of mild viruses can do that. As I said, a slight head cold perhaps. But COVID? Unless he was already fully vaccinated, COVID tends to lay you low for some time - weeks.

...while unknowingly infecting everyone they come in contact with and potentially killing them. Being a superspreader. Some badge of honour!

Also, plenty of these "tough guys" have died realising only at the end this was a killer they could not out-tough. All their bravado and muscles and guns and belief in Jeebus were useless. Only medical science held the answer, and they turned that down.
Sure, but for every tough guy who realizes they were a fool on their death bed, there are many more tough guys who are being vindicated in their belief that they were special and didn't need to take precautions. The losers die, the lucky ones assume their luck is some reflection of inherent toughness.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 7th September 2021 at 12:35 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics