IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th September 2021, 06:47 AM   #281
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Dog the Bounty Hunter says he found a camping site where he is sure the fugitive and his family had been camping. Don't know if it is true or not but it at least seems possible.
Wonder when the tv show will air.
Old 28th September 2021, 07:03 AM   #282
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Dog the Bounty Hunter says he found a camping site where he is sure the fugitive and his family had been camping. Don't know if it is true or not but it at least seems possible.
I suppose it at least seems possible for Dogg to find a campsite, and signs of camping at a campsite.

But honestly this was sarcasm:
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I agree. We should totally make this thread be about Dogg the Bounty Hunter. Forget what's her name the dead girl. Forget the prime suspect. Tell us more about this Dogg fellow and why you don't like him.
I firmly believe we should *not* include Dogg's antics in this thread.
Old 28th September 2021, 07:08 AM   #283
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

I suppose it at least seems possible for Dogg to find a campsite, and signs of camping at a campsite.

Dogg and Walsh and any other clout vulture that gets attracted to this media circus are as relevant to this thread as anything else.
Old 28th September 2021, 07:17 AM   #284
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Dogg and Walsh and any other clout vulture that gets attracted to this media circus are as relevant to this thread as anything else.
I disagree. Not only that, but in adding him to the discussion you're doing exactly what he wants. You're putting his name out there and boosting his publicity. That's the whole reason he's getting involved. So that his name will be spread far and wide in every venue.

We have the choice right now to cut it off here.
Old 28th September 2021, 07:26 AM   #285
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Not that this is important, but it's just 'Dog', not 'Dogg', even if that makes more sense as a nickname and the hair deserves more than one g.
Old 28th September 2021, 07:28 AM   #286
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Brian and his family had weeks to come up with something. How much opportunity do they need? I don't see what's implausible about them sending Brian off with some cash, and then pointing the cops in a different direction. As long as we're speculating, that seems like a possibility.
In the first place, the guy I asked is proposing they might have gotten him out of the country. That's a bit of a hurdle under police scrutiny. What you're suggesting is far less specific.

And "weeks"? When did they have weeks to plan something? They only had weeks if they premeditated the murder with him. The only weeks they had after the murder they were under scrutiny. And Brian was accounted for several times during those weeks. If they planned something elaborate during those weeks they have the problem that there plan has to work while a lot of people are watching them.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 07:28 AM   #287
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I guess Dog's better than one of the go-to "Psychics." At least he's just an idiot and doesn't pretend to have magic powers.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 07:31 AM   #288
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

I disagree. Not only that, but in adding him to the discussion you're doing exactly what he wants. You're putting his name out there and boosting his publicity. That's the whole reason he's getting involved. So that his name will be spread far and wide in every venue.

We have the choice right now to cut it off here.
The media circus is the story. People get murdered by their romantic partners all the time and it's not national news. The only thing this case has is that je ne sais quoi that makes it a big story, the same salaciousness that also draws the vultures.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 28th September 2021 at 07:34 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 07:45 AM   #289
Marcus
Illuminator

He is probably hoping to restart his TV career, his current show was cancelled before it even aired. He is an actual bounty hunter though, despite his TV antics, so he could make a contribution.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 07:51 AM   #290
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I think people don't "get" that Florida isn't one giant theme park and has MASSIVE (on the scale of any other state) areas of deep wilderness.

The T. Mabry Carlton Reserve where the search for Laundrie is focused is 25,000 acres, 99.99% of which is completely undeveloped swamp.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 07:57 AM   #291
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I think people don't "get" that Florida isn't one giant theme park and has MASSIVE (on the scale of any other state) areas of deep wilderness.

The T. Mabry Carlton Reserve where the search for Laundrie is focused is 25,000 acres, 99.99% of which is completely undeveloped swamp.
You've also got alligators. People disappear when they're not trying to hide.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 08:00 AM   #292
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

"Bounty hunters! We don't need that scum!"

"Yes, Sir."
Old 28th September 2021, 08:02 AM   #293
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

The media circus is the story. People get murdered by their romantic partners all the time and it's not national news. The only thing this case has is that je ne sais quoi that makes it a big story, the same salaciousness that also draws the vultures.
Well, it's more than that. For one thing, they were an internet presence. A lot of people were following their posts and videos of their RV trip. For another, she was officially missing for days before she was found. There was a massive search for someone who could have been lost alive in the wilderness or maybe even kidnapped. For another, the prime suspect is missing now, and is also the subject of a massive search. This is way more than a typical drunken assault and an arrest at the scene.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 08:06 AM   #294
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Well, it's more than that. For one thing, they were an internet presence. A lot of people were following their posts and videos of their RV trip. For another, she was officially missing for days before she was found. There was a massive search for someone who could have been lost alive in the wilderness or maybe even kidnapped. For another, the prime suspect is missing now, and is also the subject of a massive search. This is way more than a typical drunken assault and an arrest at the scene.
Well yeah but that's sort of circular.

Old 28th September 2021, 08:09 AM   #295
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
In the first place, the guy I asked is proposing they might have gotten him out of the country. That's a bit of a hurdle under police scrutiny. What you're suggesting is far less specific.

And "weeks"? When did they have weeks to plan something? They only had weeks if they premeditated the murder with him. The only weeks they had after the murder they were under scrutiny. And Brian was accounted for several times during those weeks. If they planned something elaborate during those weeks they have the problem that there plan has to work while a lot of people are watching them.
Well, apparently the police scrutiny wasn't that intense, or they would have known where he went. They obviously didn't have him under surveillance. And before he was charged with theft, he was free to go anywhere, including out of the country. If he had driven across the Canadian or Mexican borders, there might not even be a record. How much money and planning would it take to get outta town?
Old 28th September 2021, 08:12 AM   #296
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm not getting "Criminal Mastermind" vibes off this guy.

Old 28th September 2021, 08:15 AM   #297
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Well yeah but that's sort of circular.
If she had been murdered in a motel and he had been arrested at the scene, it wouldn't get much attention. The fact that they were internet celebrities to a tiny degree and the subject of a massive police investigation to resolve multiple unanswered questions makes it news.
Old 28th September 2021, 08:17 AM   #298
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Well, apparently the police scrutiny wasn't that intense, or they would have known where he went. They obviously didn't have him under surveillance. And before he was charged with theft, he was free to go anywhere, including out of the country. If he had driven across the Canadian or Mexican borders, there might not even be a record. How much money and planning would it take to get outta town?
A lot of money and planning, if you want to sustain it for more than a week or so. Say he's crossed the border into Canadia. Now what? He has no job. He can't use any of the resources attached to his identity - bank accounts, credit cards, etc. How is he getting food? How is he getting shelter? Did his dad cash out ten grand and send him on his way with a fat stack of twenties in his backpack? Did he go on the dark web and buy a complete identity package?

This is a middle class American family, not Danny Ocean meticulously plotting a heist and a clean getaway. They probably didn't come up with anything more elaborate than "hide out in the nearby nature preserve while we try to figure out what to do".
Old 28th September 2021, 08:27 AM   #299
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

A lot of money and planning, if you want to sustain it for more than a week or so. Say he's crossed the border into Canadia. Now what? He has no job. He can't use any of the resources attached to his identity - bank accounts, credit cards, etc. How is he getting food? How is he getting shelter? Did his dad cash out ten grand and send him on his way with a fat stack of twenties in his backpack? Did he go on the dark web and buy a complete identity package?

This is a middle class American family, not Danny Ocean meticulously plotting a heist and a clean getaway. They probably didn't come up with anything more elaborate than "hide out in the nearby nature preserve while we try to figure out what to do".
I didn't say he'd be successful. Most wanted criminals get caught sooner or later, and if he's alive I'm sure he will be. I think he could have acted on a instinct to "Run!" without thinking too far ahead. And a "middle-class American family" could easily have sent him off with a few grand.
Old 28th September 2021, 08:27 AM   #300
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

OK. So when did he do this and how did he get transportation without leaving a paper trail?

Are you thinking police are wrong about knowing where he was on the 16th? And that maybe he absconded on the 11th in the camper? I can only see that working if police are wrong about the 16th date.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 08:40 AM   #301
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Maybe the real Brian Laundrie is the friends we make along the way.

Old 28th September 2021, 08:46 AM   #302
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

OK. So when did he do this and how did he get transportation without leaving a paper trail?

Are you thinking police are wrong about knowing where he was on the 16th? And that maybe he absconded on the 11th in the camper? I can only see that working if police are wrong about the 16th date.
I haven't followed the details very closely, but he wasn't charged with anything until Sept. 22. He reportedly returned home alone Sept. 1. That's plenty of time to develop some kind of plan. The police seized the van on Sept. 14 at his parents' house. He didn't take it anywhere. On Sept. 17, his parents said he went camping in the swamp. There's no report from anybody else confirming it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Gabby_Petito
Old 28th September 2021, 08:49 AM   #303
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

He walked out in the swamp and ate a gun it will be a small miracle if he's found.

Ironically it might easier to find him if he's alive.

Old 28th September 2021, 09:00 AM   #304
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

I haven't followed the details very closely, but he wasn't charged with anything until Sept. 22. He reportedly returned home alone Sept. 1. That's plenty of time to develop some kind of plan. The police seized the van on Sept. 14 at his parents' house. He didn't take it anywhere. On Sept. 17, his parents said he went camping in the swamp. There's no report from anybody else confirming it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Gabby_Petito
Yeah, that's a pretty long time, even for someone flying by the seat of their pants. Plenty of time to make a plan for either to try to escape or kill yourself or whatever.
Old 28th September 2021, 09:01 AM   #305
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

That's plenty of time to develop some kind of plan.
Well, yeah, but the point is: What kind of plan? I'm not hearing a plausible plan for getting him out of the country.

Only plausible way I see is if the police are wrong about when they lost track of him.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 28th September 2021 at 09:04 AM.
Old 28th September 2021, 09:04 AM   #306
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Well, yeah, but the point is: What kind of plan? I'm not hearing a plausible plan for getting him out of the country.
Getting out of the country isn't that hard, it's remaining somewhere else undetected for long that's the tricky part.
Old 28th September 2021, 09:13 AM   #307
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Getting out of the country isn't that hard, it's remaining somewhere else undetected for long that's the tricky part.
Well, yeah, it is hard when both your vehicles aren't available to you, you're a thousand miles from any border, and your name and picture are all over the news.

Some people appear to be more invested in this idea than the currently known facts would warrant.
Old 28th September 2021, 09:20 AM   #308
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Well, yeah, it is hard when both your vehicles aren't available to you, you're a thousand miles from any border, and your name and picture are all over the news.

Some people appear to be more invested in this idea than the currently known facts would warrant.
It's funny, through the course of this forum thread I've read multiple articles and seen multiple pics and video clips, but for the life of me can't really recall exactly what this guy looks like. He could walk past me on the street and I wouldn't recognize him. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I really doubt people would be recognizing him that easily even with the coverage unless he was acting especially suspicious.
Old 28th September 2021, 09:37 AM   #309
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Shaving his beard and wearing a cap would have changed his appearance pretty substantially. It's not like everybody on the street was looking for him. And before he was charged, it wouldn't matter if some random person noticed him. He could even have used his real ID if he needed to. You can buy bus tickets for cash. I understand Greyhound asks for ID, but it's not legally required, and other companies, especially the shoe-string operations, might not. And you can walk across the borders.

And speculation runs wild pretty easily because not enough actual facts are known.

Last edited by Bob001; 28th September 2021 at 09:41 AM.
Old 28th September 2021, 09:45 AM   #310
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

And before he was charged, it wouldn't matter if some random person noticed him.
Yeah, but there are no good reports of people now saying "yeah, I saw him then".
And speculation runs wild pretty easily because not enough actual facts are known.
Some of the speculation here seems to be ignoring known facts.
Old 28th September 2021, 10:18 AM   #311
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
Not that this is important, but it's just 'Dog', not 'Dogg', even if that makes more sense as a nickname and the hair deserves more than one g.
The extra g symbolizes the mullet
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 10:36 AM   #312
autumn1971
Illuminator

He’s only a few hours charter boat to any of the thousands of Bahamian islands that are pretty much off the grid.

Not too difficult to find a guy going fishing and slip him a hundred to take you out of country.

Also, the whole “no one can survive in the swamps” stuff is not true. It would be very unpleasant, but with some iodine tablets totally doable.

I think, though, that he ran for it in the nature preserve and died. Either by suicide, alligator, snake, bear, or dehydration due to stupidity(there’s water everywhere!, just don’t drink it or you might literally **** yourself to death.)
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 10:37 AM   #313
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

I guess Dog's better than one of the go-to "Psychics." At least he's just an idiot and doesn't pretend to have magic powers.
I honestly didn't know Dogg the Bounty Hunter was real before this thread. I thought he was a South Park character, an alter-ego of Cartman.
Old 28th September 2021, 10:57 AM   #314
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I talked with my boss about this the other day at lunch. It seems like a pretty hard thing to pull off without creating a paper trail. I have about $100 in change at any one time, if I’m lucky. I can pull $400/day out of my checking account, but even that creates a record. I could withdraw much more in person, but then how do I stay free once the kid disappears?

With the timeline I suppose the kid could take a bunch of my stuff to a pawn shop and then I could go buy it back without pressing charges. But do pawn shops even want my valuable stuff? Especially when it looks pretty stolen.

That being said, a relative facing a third strike marijuana possession in the nineties disappeared to an island. He’s married with kids and living in Europe, from what I understand. Can’t come back to Texas, nervous about even coming to the US, but no real push to extradite small time drug possession charges from over 20 years ago. But at the time he skipped he was facing decades of jail time. Another law that favored the rich.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 11:03 AM   #315
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
He’s only a few hours charter boat to any of the thousands of Bahamian islands that are pretty much off the grid.
That leaves a trail though. But at least it could fit the available time.

BTW that requires a passport and no one seems to know if he had one.
Old 28th September 2021, 11:11 AM   #316
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
That being said, a relative facing a third strike marijuana possession in the nineties disappeared to an island. He’s married with kids and living in Europe, from what I understand. Can’t come back to Texas, nervous about even coming to the US, but no real push to extradite small time drug possession charges from over 20 years ago. But at the time he skipped he was facing decades of jail time. Another law that favored the rich.
Could he do something to get cleared and visit the U.S. if he wanted? It's hard to imagine this would be a high priority for anybody today.
Old 28th September 2021, 11:20 AM   #317
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Could he do something to get cleared and visit the U.S. if he wanted? It's hard to imagine this would be a high priority for anybody today.
This IS Texas he's talking about.
Old 28th September 2021, 11:22 AM   #318
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
This IS Texas he's talking about.
Huh?

The murder happened in Wyoming and the manhunt is in Florida.

ETA: Oh never mind, Bob001's story, not the broader OP. Never mind.

Old 28th September 2021, 11:23 AM   #319
chrispy
Graduate Poster

There are a lot (and I mean A LOT) of foreigners living somewhat in my area who are running from the law in various countries. Many if not most are completely off grid or have been here so long that they've given up worrying about anyone looking for them. It is very possible to just disappear with very little $$ and still make it work. Do I think that is what happened? No. I think he's most likely dead.
Old 28th September 2021, 11:25 AM   #320
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

BTW has anyone brought up the Wyoming/Idaho/Yellowstone Zone of Death thing in relation to this case? The body wasn't found that far from it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events