IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Coronavirus conspiracies , diseases , medical conspiracies

Old 22nd September 2021, 11:33 AM   #41
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Freedom dressing?
Lard?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:48 AM   #42
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I think the origin is an idea about potentially growing GM salad that could contain mRNA drugs and vaccines - much easier to produce and store locally in remote locations.
But clearly, Flynn was either too stupid to understand that, or (just as likely) he assumed that his audience would be too stupid to understand.
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:18 PM   #43
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marting View Post
I'm feeling guilty for laughing at all this vax insanity.

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.” -Charles Mackay
Along the same lines, I like this quote from "Men In Black'"

Quote:
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:48 PM   #44
Axxman300
Philosopher

I got my flu shot yesterday. This morning I woke up and I've been transformed into a 30 year-old Hugh Jackman. Thanks, Faucci.

*This did not really happen, which is unfortunate because I'd love to get the male lead in Chicago*
Old 22nd September 2021, 01:07 PM   #45
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
I got my flu shot yesterday. This morning I woke up and I've been transformed into a 30 year-old Hugh Jackman. Thanks, Faucci.

*This did not really happen, which is unfortunate because I'd love to get the male lead in Chicago*
Well, Jackman is playing Professor Harold Hill in a upcoming Broadway revival of "The Music Man" (after more then a year's delay of Covid.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 08:17 AM   #46
Tom Palven
Scholar

This link addresses "NO unusual excess mortality." among other things:
https://off-guardian.org/2021/09/22/...vid-cribsheet/
Tom Palven is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 08:24 AM   #47
Disbelief
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
Oh look, another propaganda piece that's full of ********.

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 08:36 AM   #48
Carrot Flower King
Graduate Poster

Off Guardian, eh?

Who have had Covid claims debunked by the likes of Health Feedback; who have also been described - https://www.stopfake.org/en/russian-...or-their-hate/ - as a bunch of Russian trolls...

Several of their "claims" have been covered in these thread here, and I know that their #10 is purest BS, as I've pointed out numerous times in various of these discussions. #18 is plain straw manning. The whole of Part VI (it's all much more credible when you use Roman numerals, isn't it?) is pretty much BS and has been covered in detail in various threads here. #28 and 29 have been discussed at length also.

Next?

Last edited by Carrot Flower King; 24th September 2021 at 08:37 AM.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 10:08 AM   #49
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
Skeezy nutbar site spews nonsense.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/offguardian/
Old 24th September 2021, 10:34 AM   #50
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Off Guardian, eh?

Who have had Covid claims debunked by the likes of Health Feedback; who have also been described - https://www.stopfake.org/en/russian-...or-their-hate/ - as a bunch of Russian trolls...

Several of their "claims" have been covered in these thread here, and I know that their #10 is purest BS, as I've pointed out numerous times in various of these discussions. #18 is plain straw manning. The whole of Part VI (it's all much more credible when you use Roman numerals, isn't it?) is pretty much BS and has been covered in detail in various threads here. #28 and 29 have been discussed at length also.

Next?
So, consistent with most of Tom's other sources.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 11:45 AM   #51
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Damn near every word in that offguardian article was wrong.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 12:44 PM   #52
Gaetan
Illuminator

As of September 23, 2020 there were in Canada during the previous 2 weeks 94 covid deaths, as of September 23, 2021, 446 deaths during the last 2 weeks while the population in Canada is 80% vaccinated. Stop fooling yourself or falsifying the figures, vaccination multiplies deaths by 5.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 12:59 PM   #53
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
As of September 23, 2020 there were in Canada during the previous 2 weeks 94 covid deaths, as of September 23, 2021, 446 deaths during the last 2 weeks while the population in Canada is 80% vaccinated. Stop fooling yourself or falsifying the figures, vaccination multiplies deaths by 5.
You're comparing two dates when there were about 500 new cases per day vs about 4000 new cases per day. Did you know that? And do you have any notion of how many of those who died were vaccinated or unvaccinated? I assume not. And my source say's Canada's about 70% fully vaccinated.

Do you think anyone is going to be fooled into thinking you know what you're talking about?
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 01:12 PM   #54
carlitos
"más divertido"

Yeah, I started to reply to point 1, and realized that there are dozens and that there is no point. It fails every woo test known to man, including "time to first lie" - literally the first sentence is a lie.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 01:36 PM   #55
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
You're comparing two dates when there were about 500 new cases per day vs about 4000 new cases per day. Did you know that? And do you have any notion of how many of those who died were vaccinated or unvaccinated? I assume not. And my source say's Canada's about 70% fully vaccinated.

Do you think anyone is going to be fooled into thinking you know what you're talking about?
80% means almost all vaccinated (12 years and older ) at least all peoples at risk and there are 5 times more deaths than during the same period last year.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/b...t&country=~CAN

Last edited by Gaetan; 24th September 2021 at 01:39 PM.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 10:14 PM   #56
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Yeah, I started to reply to point 1, and realized that there are dozens and that there is no point. It fails every woo test known to man, including "time to first lie" - literally the first sentence is a lie.
Just because Tom and others like him may complain about an unsupported rejection of these claims, here are a couple of factual rebuttals to Point 2, about 'no excess deaths'.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/12/fl...eaths-in-2020/

The Off-Guardian states that the age-standardised mortality rate is a 'more reasonable statistical measure'.
Here is that reasonable measure, showing there has indeed been a massive increase in excess deaths in 2020:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55631693

Tom Palven: in the (usually forlorn) hope that you will respond to factual arguments: what is your take on this?
Old 25th September 2021, 02:03 AM   #57
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Just because Tom and others like him may complain about an unsupported rejection of these claims, here are a couple of factual rebuttals to Point 2, about 'no excess deaths'.

The Off-Guardian states that the age-standardised mortality rate is a 'more reasonable statistical measure'.
Here is that reasonable measure, showing there has indeed been a massive increase in excess deaths in 2020:

Tom Palven: in the (usually forlorn) hope that you will respond to factual arguments: what is your take on this?
Something something orthodox Faucian Covidism, something something CNN, something something London-Liverpool bullet train.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2021, 02:50 AM   #58
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
Something something orthodox Faucian Covidism, something something CNN, something something London-Liverpool bullet train.
If there is any response at all.
Tom Palven is another with a long trail of unanswered questions behind him.

Oh, and don't ever suggest that CNN is favoured by Democrats. That's heresy, and must be punished.
Old 25th September 2021, 02:54 AM   #59
Carrot Flower King
Graduate Poster

Re the highlighted: if Tom had actually read and understood many things in this and other Covid threads on this very forum he would know that much, if not all (I began to lose the will to live while reading it) of the bunk in that Off Guardian screed has been covered and shown to be incorrect.

PS I've had BTL posts on Teh Graun removed: does this make me One Of Them? Admittedly, it was usually for losing my patience with some anti-vax or pro-homeopathy loon and just outright insulting them...And for accusing an obvious Tory astroturfer of astroturfing...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2021, 04:26 AM   #60
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Re the highlighted: if Tom had actually read and understood many things in this and other Covid threads on this very forum he would know that much, if not all (I began to lose the will to live while reading it) of the bunk in that Off Guardian screed has been covered and shown to be incorrect.
Oh, I understand only too well that all of this has been examined and found wanting before.
The problem I want to avoid is that newcomers may not know this, and be put off by an abrupt and unevidenced dismissal. You can see this most especially in the 9/11 subforum, when most of the claims are over 10 years old, have been debunked to death, yet continue to be presented as if they were fresh and new.
I also think it is better for the sceptics' side to persevere with patience and civility: kind of 'lead by example' thing. We need to model what we preach, even though it may be the umpteenth time a particular claim has been made. Let the conspiracists have a monopoly on rudeness, aggression, unsupported claims and overall attitude problems, and this on its own may help to undermine their unpleasant and misguided cause.
Old 25th September 2021, 07:55 AM   #61
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

leaving ICUs for hospice

NBC
"Consumed by conspiracy theories claiming that doctors are preventing unvaccinated patients from receiving miracle cures or are even killing them on purpose, some people in anti-vaccine and pro-ivermectin Facebook groups are telling those with Covid-19 to stay away from hospitals and instead try increasingly dangerous at-home treatments, according to posts seen by NBC News over the past few weeks."
Old 25th September 2021, 09:40 AM   #62
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

80% means almost all vaccinated (12 years and older ) at least all peoples at risk and there are 5 times more deaths than during the same period last year.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/b...t&country=~CAN
Once again, do you understand that there are presently about 8 times as many new cases per day as the same date last year? Do you understand that it is in the nature of the pandemic for cases to rise and fall in waves? Do you understand that your 80% figure is not the proportion fully vaccinated and finally do you know what the ratio is between vaccinated and unvaccinated Canadians dying of Covid19?

If you did know all these things then you would be extremely dishonest to pretend that vaccination made Covid worse. I conclude then that you simply can't grasp facts.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2021, 10:00 AM   #63
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Wha? You mean that after the pandemic has had two years to spread around the world, feeding on the fabulous fears of the vax-lax conspiracy fools, there are more cases than there were when it started? Color me surprised!

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2021, 10:03 AM   #64
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

If you want to keep it really simple, look at the graph in your link. Look at the waves. Do you see that the peaks are getting much smaller? That's vaccination making things better instead of worse.

Do you see?
Old 25th September 2021, 10:09 AM   #65
Carrot Flower King
Graduate Poster

Oh, I understand only too well that all of this has been examined and found wanting before.
The problem I want to avoid is that newcomers may not know this, and be put off by an abrupt and unevidenced dismissal. You can see this most especially in the 9/11 subforum, when most of the claims are over 10 years old, have been debunked to death, yet continue to be presented as if they were fresh and new.
I also think it is better for the sceptics' side to persevere with patience and civility: kind of 'lead by example' thing. We need to model what we preach, even though it may be the umpteenth time a particular claim has been made. Let the conspiracists have a monopoly on rudeness, aggression, unsupported claims and overall attitude problems, and this on its own may help to undermine their unpleasant and misguided cause.
Old 25th September 2021, 11:41 AM   #66
marting
Master Poster

Oh no! Myocarditis risk is 1 in a 1000 from mRNA vaccines.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...ian-study.aspx

Way more than previously reported and with a dozen co-authors.

Quote:
Scientists from the University of Ottawa, Canada, have recently estimated the prevalence of myocarditis/pericarditis in individuals recently immunized with mRNA-based coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccines. The analysis reveals a prevalence of 10 myopericarditis cases for every 10,000 vaccine doses. The study is currently available on the medRxiv* preprint server.
This has been picked up and flogged by the anti-vaxers.

But there's one problem. Bad denominator that apparently none of the authors picked up on. Preprint withdrawn

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...#disqus_thread

Quote:
Our reported incidence appeared vastly inflated by an incorrectly small denominator (ie number of doses administered over the time period of the study). We reviewed the data available at Open Ottawa and found that there had indeed been a major underestimation, with the actual number of administered doses being more than 800,000 (much higher than quoted in the paper).
That's more than 25 times the number used in the original paper.
Old 25th September 2021, 11:46 AM   #67
Gaetan
Illuminator

If you want to keep it really simple, look at the graph in your link. Look at the waves. Do you see that the peaks are getting much smaller? That's vaccination making things better instead of worse.

Do you see?
The figures show that from the moment where people begin to be fully vaccinated, august, the deaths are multiplied by 5 compared to last year in septembre 23th. The goal of profit kills.

Last edited by Gaetan; 25th September 2021 at 11:49 AM.
Old 25th September 2021, 12:20 PM   #68
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Too stupid to understand basic facts or too dishonest to admit he was wrong. Choice is yours people, place your bets now.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2021, 12:51 PM   #69
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

The figures show that from the moment where people begin to be fully vaccinated, august, the deaths are multiplied by 5 compared to last year in septembre 23th. The goal of profit kills.
Is this blockheaded incomprehension or deliberate dishonesty?
Old 25th September 2021, 01:39 PM   #70
Gaetan
Illuminator

Once again, do you understand that there are presently about 8 times as many new cases per day as the same date last year?
Why would it be? From where you got these figures?

Last edited by Gaetan; 25th September 2021 at 01:40 PM.
Old 25th September 2021, 01:49 PM   #71
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

That is because of new variants and antivax idiots. Do you really, really think that "big pharma" makes more profit by killing their customers?

After all, your major claim is that big pharma is profiting by getting people addicted to opioids. But you also claim they use vaccines to kill their customers How do they get corpses addicted to opioids? Can you explain that? Of course not. The notion and idea is idiotic.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2021, 02:04 PM   #72
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
That is because of new variants and antivax idiots. Do you really, really think that "big pharma" makes more profit by killing their customers?

After all, your major claim is that big pharma is profiting by getting people addicted to opioids. But you also claim they use vaccines to kill their customers How do they get corpses addicted to opioids? Can you explain that? Of course not. The notion and idea is idiotic.
Do you think you got 500,000 deaths in 20 years out of my imagination?
Old 25th September 2021, 04:10 PM   #73
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Why would it be? From where you got these figures?
From World in Data, the same source you used.
Old 25th September 2021, 04:50 PM   #74
Gaetan
Illuminator

From World in Data, the same source you used.
There is no such source on this data, you can't say how many cases of covid there are in any country.
Old 25th September 2021, 05:32 PM   #75
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Yes, there is. Are you really that incapable?

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2021, 12:30 AM   #76
Bubba
Philosopher

It seems the latest definition of vaccine is somehow linked to some guy's spat with twitter

Quote:
Sep. 1, 2021: The CDC changes its definition of “vaccine,” removing the standard that vaccines produce immunity. Now they just need to “stimulate the body’s immune response.”

https://alexberenson.substack.com/p/...-in-three-acts
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2021, 12:50 AM   #77
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
It seems the latest definition of vaccine is somehow linked to some guy's spat with twitter

https://alexberenson.substack.com/p/...-in-three-acts
Quite frankly, I'd suggest just ignoring that guy completely.

The Pandemic’s Wrongest Man

In a crowded field of wrongness, one person stands out: Alex Berenson.

With that said, without looking into it more in depth, I'll grant that the specific claim that you quoted is reasonably likely to be true. It's worth little more than an eyeroll, though, at best. This Forbes article actually fairly directly addresses that topic and Berenson, either way, from earlier on. Really short version, though? Berenson was arguing that vaccines aren't vaccines on the grounds of irrelevant and wrong technicality. If the CDC did change its definition because of him, it's fairly certainly because he managed to mislead a sufficient number of people that they didn't feel that is was worth the battle to correct that misinformation. In this case, clarifying the difference between total immunity and partial immunity. No vaccine gives total immunity to every vaccinated population in the first place, either way, so the harping on total immunity was worth little more than an eye-roll from the start.

Last edited by Aridas; 26th September 2021 at 01:26 AM.
Aridas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2021, 06:25 AM   #78
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Do you think you got 500,000 deaths in 20 years out of my imagination?
Nope. My question was exactly what profit is "big pharma" getting from all those dead people?

And you were forced to wilfully misinterpret the question because you know that your imaginary "big pharma" that is killing people in droves, according to you, cannot extract profits from corpses.

So tell us all. How is big pharma extracting profit from corpses? Selling Tylenol to ease the pain of being dead? What?

This is your recurring problem. Your various conflicting CT notions do not work. On the one hand you claim that "big pharma" is working to get us all addicted to opioids to maximise profit. On the other hand you also claim that "big pharma" is killing everyone by means of vaccines.

Yet you fail to see an obvious problem with those conflicting ideas.

Up to you, Gaetan to explain that. Is "big pharma" trying to maximise the number of opioid addicts to sell them more? Or kill them to sell them nothing at all to maximise their profits?

As an aside, Gaetan attempted to derail this thread into a COVID rant of some sort, even though that is wildly off topic for this thread and there are a plethora of suitable threads to post COVID rants all day long. But no. Gaetan tried to jack the thread. The topic is money and work and their relation, not COVID or it's consequences. Should he keep up that wild derail, I may have to invoke mods. We are supposed to be discussing money and it's uses. Gaetan is derailing into the morass of COVID crapola. Not on topic remotely and there is a shedload of threads for that topic anyway

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2021, 08:23 AM   #79
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Yes, there is. Are you really that incapable?
The infection is the same than last year, that's all you can say and vaccination just makes more victimes, we should focus on natural remedies.
Old 26th September 2021, 08:50 AM   #80
junkshop
Critical Thinker

Location: Under the bed. Whose bed, you ask? That would be telling...sleep tight.
The infection is the same than last year, that's all you can say and vaccination just makes more victimes, we should focus on natural remedies.
Do we get them for free?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories