IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Coronavirus conspiracies , diseases , medical conspiracies

Old 26th September 2021, 09:00 AM   #81
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
There is no such source on this data, you can't say how many cases of covid there are in any country.
I invite you to Google "Canada covid 19 statistics" and look at the graph they offer you.

I'll wait.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2021, 09:17 AM   #82
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Maybe it would be quicker if I just did a couple of screenshots. The blue graph is cases, the black one is deaths. Of course the vertical scales are different as new cases peaked around 10000 per day while deaths peaked around 200 per day.

You can clearly see the various waves and other effects are clear too: like other countries in the first wave most cases were not detected as testing was not up to speed. in the second wave it was, so the cases and deaths trends match each other with a time delay, cases peaking first as you would expect. In the following wave the deaths were far fewer. That's vaccination saving people's lives.

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 26th September 2021 at 09:19 AM.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2021, 12:44 PM   #83
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

The infection is the same than last year, that's all you can say and vaccination just makes more victimes, we should focus on natural remedies.
The infection is not the same as last year, actually. You really need to read up a bit on the spread of variants. But even if it were the same, its geographic spread would matter. The infection did not come down as rain over the earth from outer space, but spread in a way that makes time an important factor in who gets it and when.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2021, 10:24 PM   #84
Bubba
Philosopher

I dont recall where, but somehere on that internet it said the new rule is that you are not officially vaccinated until about two weeks after the jab, (or two weeks after your jab regimen)....Is that true, or hogwash ?

If true, how do you know how many jabbed before lunch keeled over before dinner, or jab-croaked before their weekend break, and were not registered ?

While people do die every day, dying hours after jabbing with known jab related issues isn't exactly your ordinary death statistic.

Wouldnt that be a key factor authorities want to gather for science, regarding post jab keel-overs ?

Do any of you know if those numbers are sought, or gathered?

Does anyone here know if that *from internet X number of days interval before deemed vaccinated* is a real thing, according to the latest jab counting rules? I dont know where to look for that, but it has to be there, somewhere, and it matters.

If those cocktails can kill, why wait two weeks to look for it and add it to the science.? I dont know if that is the case.

Not to mention, if I understood correctly, that the VAERS system is like the grapevine.....ie it is all, or mostly, from voluntary reports....is that true, or not.?

If those things are true, it sounds like acquiring actual science becomes more of a crap shoot.

If those/these things are real things, how does any one have a clue around how many deaths the jabs can cause within a few days.?

Internet people including doctors and nurses say their loved ones died within days, from known rare vaccine related causes, but not recorded as jab related because they died before "officially deemed vaccinated". Doesnt that sideline science?

Furthermore...

The known Covid jab kill rate now is way higher than an earlier flue (H1N1?) jab kill rate, which led to that jab being cancelled. Was it about 60 jab deaths, when they quit jabbing.? I wonder what the actual current Covid jab death rate is, compared to that earlier (canceled) jab death rate.

Can anyone here address veracity of that "X number of days (or weeks) after covid jabbing must pass before you are officially covid vaccinated".?

Is it hooey, or not? It matters, statistically, because we would have little clue of those vaccine deaths if they are jabbed, but officially 'unvaccinated'.

The question of course being how much clue we can have (with a post-jab interval) about how many people the jabs are killing....compared (for example) to that other time they quit jabbing after (relatively) fewer deaths.

* Is the "post jab interval before deemed vaccinated" a real thing?

* If that interval is a real thing, are deaths with known rare vaccine related issues...but before deemed *officially vaccinated* being tracked?"

* Are such numbers sought, or tracked ?
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2021, 11:54 PM   #85
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

It takes about two weeks for a vaccination to fully take effect, yes. This is very common knowledge.

Possible side effects from vaccination are obviously tracked and counted from the moment of vaccination, not from the moment the vaccination becomes fully effective.
Old 27th September 2021, 12:32 AM   #86
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
I dont recall where, but somehere on that internet it said the new rule is that you are not officially vaccinated until about two weeks after the jab, (or two weeks after your jab regimen)....Is that true, or hogwash ?
As has been noted before, vaccines basically help your immune system prepare to fight off their target, helping them save the time it takes them to build the infrastructure that they need to effectively fight a pathogen by letting them start make it before actually encountering the pathogen that needs guarded against. Roughly two weeks after the second dose is what's been found to be when immunity reaches the stated efficacy for the main 2 dose covid vaccines and is when one officially counts as fully vaccinated. "Officially vaccinated" is a much more vague term that could refer to a number of different official categories - which also leaves it ripe for misrepresentation by those motivated to do so.

If true, how do you know how many jabbed before lunch keeled over before dinner, or jab-croaked before their weekend break, and were not registered ?
Err, fundamental error here. Getting the shot is when any potential side effect assessment starts, not after one counts as fully vaccinated. Stats like breakthrough cases of covid for the fully vaccinated start when officially fully vaccinated, but that's something different.

Not to mention, if I understood correctly, that the VAERS system is like the grapevine.....ie it is all, or mostly, from voluntary reports....is that true, or not.?
VAERS, specifically, does largely rely on voluntary reporting. It's not and was never about gathering perfect data, though, so much as gathering data to indicate potential issues for further investigation. That's led to, for example, the distribution of the J&J vaccine being paused as they looked into data suggesting that the J&J vaccine had a very rare issue with causing blood clotting and then issuing guidance on how to proceed from there.

Internet people including doctors and nurses say their loved ones died within days, from known rare vaccine related causes, but not recorded as jab related because they died before "officially deemed vaccinated". Doesnt that sideline science?
To be perfectly frank, I suggest handling those stories with strong skepticism. Even if that somehow ended up as technically true, it's highly likely that it's distinctly misleading and relying on technicalities of which category they would be put into, rather than actually dealing with the implied substance of the issue.

Furthermore...

The known Covid jab kill rate now is way higher than an earlier flue (H1N1?) jab kill rate, which led to that jab being cancelled. Was it about 60 jab deaths, when they quit jabbing.?
Even if that happens to be true (and that's fairly certain to be much less certain than you state), it's been pretty firmly shown that the vaccines are reducing deaths at a rate quite overwhelmingly greater than any vaccine-caused death count. To give a theoretical example, if the evidence shows that vaccinating a particular population will likely decrease death by disease by 500 and likely cause one person to die (a person who would likely have died anyways of the disease without vaccine, at that), what would be the actual justification for cancelling the vaccinations midway when that person dies?

Last edited by Aridas; 27th September 2021 at 02:09 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2021, 07:02 AM   #87
Leftus
Master Poster

The infection is the same than last year, that's all you can say and vaccination just makes more victimes, we should focus on natural remedies.
The infection is not the same, they mutate. Natural remedies are a sham. The people who promote them are ignorant hucksters who profit off death. They never take responsibility when they kill people. They have gone out of their way to avoid the scientific method and subject themselves to any testing of effectivity.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2021, 08:14 AM   #88
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

As already noted by others the infection is not the same as last years. As I recall the Delta variant is 60% more transmissible, twice as potentially lethal and can produce as much as 1000 times more viral load than last years original variant.

Exactly how many of the "victimes" you're concerned with were vaccinated and how many weren't?

Some actual data...

Monitoring Incidence of COVID-19 Cases, Hospitalizations, and Deaths, by Vaccination Status — 13 U.S. Jurisdictions, April 4–July 17, 2021

Quote:
During April 4–July 17, a total of 569,142 (92%) COVID-19 cases, 34,972 (92%) hospitalizations, and 6,132 (91%) COVID-19–associated deaths were reported among persons not fully vaccinated, and 46,312 (8%) cases, 2,976 (8%) hospitalizations, and 616 (9%) deaths were reported among fully vaccinated persons in the 13 jurisdictions (Table). The weekly prevalence of the SARS-CoV-2 Delta variant increased from <1% to 90% during April 4–July 17. Full vaccination coverage increased from 19% to 54%; in the final week, coverage ranged by age group from 45% (in persons aged 18–49 years) to 73% (≥65 years).

During April 4–June 19, fully vaccinated persons accounted for 5% of cases, 7% of hospitalizations, and 8% of deaths overall; these percentages were higher during June 20–July 17 (18%, 14%, and 16%, respectively). Using the reported 37% vaccination coverage for the 13 jurisdictions during April 4–June 19 and an assumption of 90% VE, vaccinated persons would have been expected to account for 6% of cases (close to the 5% observed). With 53% coverage reported during June 20–July 17, vaccinated persons were expected to account for 10% of cases at a constant VE of 90%; the observed 18% would have been expected at a lower VE of 80%.
Figure 2 lays it out quite well.

Figure2

While cases amongst the fully vaccinated increased in July their hospitalizations and deaths did not. Those not fully vaccinated spiked (half pun intended) significantly in all those categories and increased from about 90% to about 94% of all those categories. Your simple assertion of "vaccination just makes more victimes" is demonstrably false.

Last edited by The Man; 27th September 2021 at 08:16 AM.
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2021, 08:26 AM   #89
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I do hope Ben Garrison is telling the truth for once.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2021, 08:40 AM   #90
carlitos
"más divertido"

Who knows. Also - I haven't seen an update on Laura Loomer in the week since she succeeded in getting press coverage for her alleged illness.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2021, 11:04 AM   #91
Aridas

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
You're speaking of how he says that he's trying to treat it with things like ivermectin and... beet juice?
Old 27th September 2021, 11:06 AM   #92
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Oh good. Here's hoping that he continues to use those wonderdrugs rather than...you know things that actually work.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2021, 11:07 AM   #93
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
You're speaking of how he says that he's trying to treat it with things like ivermectin and... beet juice?
That and the claims to actually have it in the first place.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2021, 03:16 PM   #94
Planigale
Philosopher

While people do die every day, dying hours after jabbing with known jab related issues isn't exactly your ordinary death statistic.

Wouldnt that be a key factor authorities want to gather for science, regarding post jab keel-overs ?

Do any of you know if those numbers are sought, or gathered?

Does anyone here know if that *from internet X number of days interval before deemed vaccinated* is a real thing, according to the latest jab counting rules? I dont know where to look for that, but it has to be there, somewhere, and it matters.

If those cocktails can kill, why wait two weeks to look for it and add it to the science.? I dont know if that is the case.

If those things are true, it sounds like acquiring actual science becomes more of a crap shoot.

If those/these things are real things, how does any one have a clue around how many deaths the jabs can cause within a few days.?

Furthermore...

The known Covid jab kill rate now is way higher than an earlier flue (H1N1?) jab kill rate, which led to that jab being cancelled. Was it about 60 jab deaths, when they quit jabbing.? I wonder what the actual current Covid jab death rate is, compared to that earlier (canceled) jab death rate.

Can anyone here address veracity of that "X number of days (or weeks) after covid jabbing must pass before you are officially covid vaccinated".?

Is it hooey, or not? It matters, statistically, because we would have little clue of those vaccine deaths if they are jabbed, but officially 'unvaccinated'.

The question of course being how much clue we can have (with a post-jab interval) about how many people the jabs are killing....compared (for example) to that other time they quit jabbing after (relatively) fewer deaths.

* Is the "post jab interval before deemed vaccinated" a real thing?

* If that interval is a real thing, are deaths with known rare vaccine related issues...but before deemed *officially vaccinated* being tracked?"

* Are such numbers sought, or tracked ?
As others have said the 2 week is how long it takes for immunity to develop. Vaccine associated adverse events are recorded from the moment the needle hits the skin.

In the UK anyone can notify a side effect.

https://coronavirus-yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk

If there was a death that was thought to be attributable to vaccine then this would result in a court case automatically. All deaths due to a vaccine side effect are notified to the coroner (fiscal in Scotland) and result in a court hearing. Below reporting of a case. This is a legal requirement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-58330796

All cases of thrombotic reactions to vaccines are being reviewed in detail. As are myocarditis events.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2021, 04:22 PM   #95
carlitos
"más divertido"

Maybe he was trying to say "Beetlejuice" and they misunderstood him because of the coughing.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2021, 09:39 PM   #96
Bubba
Philosopher

Thanks for the replies....you know who you are.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2021, 10:51 PM   #97
Bubba
Philosopher

How wrong was the internet when it said.?:

* less than 1% of Americans have caught covid.

* 99.96% is the current survival rate for the U.S. population

and

* 0.17% of the global population has caught covid19.

* 99.99% is the current survival rate of the global population

?

What are better numbers.?

that was dated Sept 15, but I dont know if those were Sept 15 numbers

Last edited by Bubba; 27th September 2021 at 10:55 PM.
Old 27th September 2021, 11:14 PM   #98
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

"the internet" doesn't say anything, any more than your phone does. It's a conduit for information/misinformation, not a source.
Old 28th September 2021, 12:09 AM   #99
Bubba
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
"the internet" doesn't say anything, any more than your phone does. It's a conduit for information/misinformation, not a source.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I better write that down.

Internet went deeper than the answers I got here about the jabbed death rate. Nobody here mentioned what this Kirsch guy said in the FDA meeting.

This is from the CNBC Television youtube channel. Apparently it is the entire FDA meeting.
It is titled:

FDA committee meets to debate and vote on Covid booster shots for the general public — 9/17/21

It is only eight hours long...but save time...Kirsch speaks for about four minutes...these viewer's advised scrolling to Kirsch's remarks:

Quote:
Viewer comments said:

- At 4:12:39 Steve Kirsch, executive director, of the covid-19 Early Treatment Fund speaks about the risks.

- What he said at 4:12:30 is very important

Kirsch said two or more deaths are caused by vaccines for each life saved. He showed trial statistics that were never addressed, or investigated. What he said sounded irrefutable.

Four minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQevYc2jX7Y&t=3s

Last edited by Bubba; 28th September 2021 at 12:12 AM.
Old 28th September 2021, 12:21 AM   #100
Aridas

Kirsch said two or more deaths are caused by vaccines for each life saved. He showed trial statistics that were never addressed, or investigated. What he said sounded irrefutable.
To address that a bit -

Public commenter, not FDA, falsely claimed COVID vaccines kill many

Quote:
CLAIM: Experts with the Food and Drug Administration revealed that the COVID-19 vaccines are killing at least two people for every person they save.

AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. FDA experts did not say this, and strongly refuted this false claim in an email to The Associated Press. A speaker who is not affiliated with the FDA made these statements during the open public hearing portion of a Sept. 17 FDA vaccine advisory panel meeting.
Who is Kirsch, incidentally? Let's see -

Quote:
Kirsch, an entrepreneur with a background in banking technology who is funding research into COVID-19 treatments unrelated to vaccines, claimed in the meeting that “the vaccines kill more people than they save.”
Huh. A major financial conflict of interest. Who could have guessed?

As for argumentation -

Quote:
To support his argument, Kirsch referenced data from the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System, a CDC- and FDA-run database of unverified reports of adverse events that occur after receiving a vaccine. The VAERS system does not determine whether a vaccine caused the events that are reported.

Kirsch’s claim is not supported by data, according to Capobianco, who said the FDA “strongly disagrees with the analysis Mr. Kirsch put forth during the VRBPAC meeting, as we believe the data from VAERS that he referenced were not properly interpreted. This is due to the limitations of VAERS itself, as well as the limitations regarding certain private patient information that is not available to individuals outside of FDA and CDC.”

COVID-19 vaccines authorized for use in the U.S. by the FDA have met rigorous safety standards, and reports of death after COVID-19 vaccination are rare, according to Capobianco.
Yeah, not all that convinced.
Old 28th September 2021, 12:30 AM   #101
angrysoba
Philosophile

Oh my word... is someone citing Steve Kirsch as an authority?

Holy crap!

What is it this time? His dumpster diving in VAERS that Robert Malone and Bret Weinstein agreed with? Or his talk of exploding babies' heads or some other garbage?

The man is a complete crank.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 01:01 AM   #102
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Remembering it would be even better.

Quote:
Internet went deeper than the answers I got here about the jabbed death rate.
See, you've forgotten already.

Quote:
Nobody here mentioned what this Kirsch guy said in the FDA meeting.
That's because everyone here but you has the critical thinking skills required to know that Kirsch is one of the least reliable sources of information on this subject and consequently ignore him.

Quote:
And yet is easily refuted by anyone who takes the time to investigate.
Old 28th September 2021, 02:49 AM   #103
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Beets is an older pancea, often paired with lemon Juice and\or garlic.
It derailed Aids management for a few years in South Africa thanks to idiots
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 03:00 AM   #104
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
... and a healthy dose of KGB propaganda.
Old 28th September 2021, 05:50 AM   #105
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post

It could be worse, I remember reading about regions where it was believed that AIDS could be cured by raping a virgin.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 08:23 AM   #106
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Internet went deeper than the answers I got here about the jabbed death rate. Nobody here mentioned what this Kirsch guy said in the FDA meeting.

This is from the CNBC Television youtube channel. Apparently it is the entire FDA meeting.
It is titled:

FDA committee meets to debate and vote on Covid booster shots for the general public — 9/17/21

It is only eight hours long...but save time...Kirsch speaks for about four minutes...these viewer's advised scrolling to Kirsch's remarks:

Four minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQevYc2jX7Y&t=3s
Heh heh... do you sketch this school-boy bs out before you post? Some scriptwriter app or something?
Or is it freestyle?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 09:11 AM   #107
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.

Would it be too much to ask for you to show some sympathy for these deaths?

I mean, 'jab-croaked'. Really? That's just nasty.
Old 28th September 2021, 10:47 AM   #108
Paul2
Philosopher

The figures show that from the moment where people begin to be fully vaccinated, august, the deaths are multiplied by 5 compared to last year in septembre 23th. The goal of profit kills.
I got fully vaccinated in March. Where/how are you drawing the line as to "begin to be fully vaccinated?"

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 10:52 AM   #109
Axxman300
Philosopher

Whenever I see someone refer to "Jabs" I see someone who can't spell "Injection".

On the other hand I often complain about the Kiddie-Table-level of CTists (like Bubba) we deal with, and yearn for a quality CT scenario, and today The Intercept came through with flying colors:

https://theintercept.com/2021/09/23/...n=theintercept

Quote:
Since the genetic code of the coronavirus that caused the pandemic was first sequenced, scientists have puzzled over the “furin cleavage site.” This strange feature on the spike protein of the virus had never been seen in SARS-related betacoronaviruses, the class to which SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes the respiratory illness Covid-19, belongs.

The furin cleavage site enables the virus to more efficiently bind to and release its genetic material into a human cell and is one of the reasons that the virus is so easily transmissible and harmful. But scientists are divided over how this particular site wound up in the virus, and the cleavage site became a major focus of the heated debate over the origins of the pandemic.

Many who believe that the virus that caused the pandemic emerged from a laboratory have pointed out that it is unlikely that the particular sequence of amino acids that make up the furin cleavage site would have occurred naturally.

Adherents of the idea that SARS-CoV-2 emerged from a natural spillover from animal hosts have argued that it could have evolved naturally from an as-yet undiscovered virus. Further, they argued, scientists were unlikely to have engineered the feature.

“There is no logical reason why an engineered virus would utilize such a suboptimal furin cleavage site, which would entail such an unusual and needlessly complex feat of genetic engineering,” 23 scientists wrote earlier this month in an article in the journal Cell. “There is no evidence of prior research at the [Wuhan Institute of Virology] involving the artificial insertion of complete furin cleavage sites into coronaviruses.”

But the proposal describes the process of looking for novel furin cleavage sites in bat coronaviruses the scientists had sampled and inserting them into the spikes of SARS-related viruses in the laboratory.

“We will introduce appropriate human-specific cleavage sites and evaluate growth potential in [a type of mammalian cell commonly used in microbiology] and HAE cultures,” referring to cells found in the lining of the human airway, the proposal states.
And from there they're off to the races quoting the same scientists who have alleging COVID-19 escaped from the Wuhan lab. This piece throws around a lot of science while proving nothing, all based upon a 2018 grant proposal.
Old 28th September 2021, 12:28 PM   #110
carlitos
"más divertido"

So went Glenn Greenwald, and now The Intercept. All the CT lefties are moving to where the action is, on the anti-science right.
Old 28th September 2021, 01:10 PM   #111
marting
Master Poster

Here's a new CT spin. The left is pushing for vaccinations because they know the right will do the opposite and want them to die. You can't make this stuff up!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/27/b...cinations.html

Quote:
In an article this month for Breitbart, the right-wing website formerly run by Steve Bannon, John Nolte argued that the partisan gap in vaccination rates was part of a liberal plot. Liberals like Biden, Nancy Pelosi, Anthony Fauci and Howard Stern have tried so hard to persuade people to get vaccinated, because they know that Republican voters will do the opposite of whatever they say, Nolte wrote.
“Right now, a countless number of Trump supporters believe they are owning the left by refusing to take a lifesaving vaccine,” Nolte wrote. “In a country where elections are decided on razor-thin margins, does it not benefit one side if their opponents simply drop dead?”
Old 28th September 2021, 01:16 PM   #112
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
So went Glenn Greenwald, and now The Intercept. All the CT lefties are moving to where the action is, on the anti-science right.
They don't have to move;a lot of the fringe "New Age" left has always been anti science.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 01:19 PM   #113
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
If a worse case scenario happens, you won't see any tears from me. Garrison will not be missed. One less bigot polluting the planet.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 01:27 PM   #114
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Well he doesn't need to worry about cognitive impairment.

Old 28th September 2021, 02:21 PM   #115
marting
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
They don't have to move;a lot of the fringe "New Age" left has always been anti science.
My wife's friend from high school is a very "New Age" hippy dippy. Also into crystals for checking if raw seafood is safe. Big anti-vaxxer and generally skeptical of science. Her husband is left but not "New Age" and is pro-vaccines.
Old 28th September 2021, 02:45 PM   #116
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marting View Post
Here's a new CT spin. The left is pushing for vaccinations because they know the right will do the opposite and want them to die. You can't make this stuff up!

Wow and wow again.

Basically, they're saying that people should not do the right thing because it will make stupid people do the wrong thing. They're managing to admit that they're idiots and still blame someone else for their idiocy!

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 02:59 PM   #117
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Cement-headed morons **** themselves to death to own the libs smart people.

Quote:
New Mexico has linked two deaths in the state to the misuse of ivermectin to treat COVID-19, The Hill reported Sept. 27.

The state reported the two deaths Sept. 22, according to the state health department. The two people who died were among 14 in the state who have been hospitalized for ivermectin poisoning, according to The Hill.

Ivermectin is a drug typically used to treat parasitic infections in animals. It is FDA-approved for humans at very specific doses for some parasitic worms, as well as some topical formulations for head lice and skin conditions, but it is not an antiviral.
This is what happens when you get your medical advice from idiots like Joe Rogan rather than a medical professional.

Speaking of medical professionals . . .

Quote:
A new paper published on the preprint server medRxiv in April 2020 shows that the use of the already approved drug ivermectin in clinical trials to treat severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) is not feasible. This contradicts earlier reports of its ability to suppress the virus in vitro.

The study sums up: “Ivermectin is unlikely to reach the IC50 in lungs after oral administration of the approved dose or doses 10x higher than the approved doses as a single dose. The approved dose of ivermectin alone has a low probability of success in the treatment of COVID-19.”

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 05:26 PM   #118
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

An old friend of mine who lives in Tennessee just posted on Bookface saying that another friend of his is not expected to live through the night. This makes the fourth friend he's lost to COVID-19 in as many weeks- all unvaccinated.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 05:57 AM   #119
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marting View Post

I remember something similar from a political pundit a while ago.
"If the vaccine were really safe, Democrats wouldn't be encouraging Republicans to get vaccinated."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 08:03 AM   #120
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

* less than 1% of Americans have caught covid.
What you mean was how wrong was some picture that went viral among right wingers. Totally wrong - out by a factor of more than 10. 13% of Americans have caught Covid, roughly.

Quote:
* 99.96% is the current survival rate for the U.S. population
The survival rate is about 98%. That means 1 out of 50 people who gets it in the US dies.

Quote:
and

* 0.17% of the global population has caught covid19.
Again off by a factor of more than 10. About 2.9% of the global population has caught Covid.

Quote:
* 99.99% is the current survival rate of the global population

?

What are better numbers.?

that was dated Sept 15, but I dont know if those were Sept 15 numbers
Again, it’s about 98%. About 1 in 50 people who gets Covid worldwide dies from it.

Check your date again. Was that September 15, 2020? Because I suppose those figures might have been valid then. If not, then whoever created that infographic you saw was lying to you. Bear that in mind.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories