IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Coronavirus conspiracies , diseases , medical conspiracies

Old 1st October 2021, 08:24 AM   #161
Carrot Flower King
Graduate Poster

It's like some folk do not have a clue about how microscopes work and then assume that the rest of us have never seen a microscope nor ever used one...But then, I'm not a "doctor" of a dubious not-really a-discipline...
Carrot Flower King is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 08:28 AM   #162
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
It's like some folk do not have a clue about how microscopes work and then assume that the rest of us have never seen a microscope nor ever used one...But then, I'm not a "doctor" of a dubious not-really a-discipline...
That one's as ludicrous as the Therenos claim, which I was smacked for having claimed was obvious.

I shouldn't need a degree to recognize stupid*.

* A mirror is usually sufficient.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 1st October 2021 at 08:29 AM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 08:38 AM   #163
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
To everyone in general:

There's something that Dr. Adequate used to say in response to things like this. It's on the tip of my tongue...

It's amazing, really. People are told, by the whole world's medical science community, that there's a virus behind the sudden spread of illness causing a large number of deaths, and an even larger number of serious, long-lasting health problems. This is equivalent to saying that a wildfire was caused by a combination of hot, dry weather and some idiot burning trash in a barrel. Id est, there's nothing remotely unnatural or even improbable about it. Viruses are all around us, and some have been a hazard to us for all of human history, even before we knew they existed.

But these same people reject that perfectly normal explanation. Yet when they see some ******** on the internet saying that there are miniature, superconductive, tentacle bearing monsters in the vaccines who are aware of people nearby, they immediately accept it as true, and even start backing each other up regarding this belief.

I mean, in all seriousness, how ******* stupid does a claim have to be before some people will see it as nonsense? How infantile? How obviously derived from poor quality science fiction clap-trap? I mean, as ignorant and stupid as the claims that the vaccines were made to poison people for a yet-to-be-observed population control program, those claims pale in comparison to this sort of utterly ridiculous, pathetically childish fantasy. Jesus! If someone said he wouldn't eat his lunch because the New World Order's microscopic, superconductive, tentacled nanobot monsters were watching him from inside his chicken tenders, he'd be refered to psych services (well, not in the U.S. He'd be turned out on the street to sleep in a cardboard box under an overpass).

I can honestly think of very few alternatives to the two most parsimonious explanations for this kind of delusional belief. The first is mental illness and the second is mental retardation.
The third is being a member of the human race. Is any superstition not just as absurd? Seriously, walking under a ladder? It's what people do, and it's our pleasure to try to stop or prevent it.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 08:41 AM   #164
Carrot Flower King
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
That one's as ludicrous as the Therenos claim, which I was smacked for having claimed was obvious.

I shouldn't need a degree to recognize stupid*.

* A mirror is usually sufficient.
Oh yeah, Theranos was pretty obvious BS all along. Never understood why anyone would think different.

ETA I suppose it's the say something authoritatively enough and folks who don't know much will fall for it thing? Like with this "doctor" and their "microscope".

Last edited by Carrot Flower King; 1st October 2021 at 08:48 AM.
Carrot Flower King is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 09:07 AM   #165
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Imagine being a Senator from Mississippi or West Virginia in the 70s: you'd be fighting for your constituents to have access to things like childhood vaccines to improve community health. Putting pork into bills so that you could build health clinics and infrastructure. Fast forward 50 years and we are in bizarro world.
Yes indeed, but remember how bizarro the world can be. Go back only another ten years and the fight would probably have been for segregation. They might have wanted those clinics too, but for their white constituents.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 05:00 PM   #166
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Yes indeed, but remember how bizarro the world can be. Go back only another ten years and the fight would probably have been for segregation. They might have wanted those clinics too, but for their white constituents.
Yes, but those were the pols who would become the southern Republican party, driving the extant "RINOs" left to the new Dems.
I asked here before for opinions, got none... has such a policy swap ever happened elsewhere? I find it bizarre, but have never studied the influences and mechanisms that made it possible.
Oh well, it's OT for this thread.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 06:37 PM   #167
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, but those were the pols who would become the southern Republican party, driving the extant "RINOs" left to the new Dems.
I asked here before for opinions, got none... has such a policy swap ever happened elsewhere? I find it bizarre, but have never studied the influences and mechanisms that made it possible.
I don't recall that request, but I don't know of another flip like this. We might see a small segment of the switch nowadays in that the anti-vax movement used to be identified with spacey new-left new-age sorts, strange bedfellows with the rabid right today. But the whole shift of political parties and majorities is unique I think.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 06:47 PM   #168
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I don't recall that request, but I don't know of another flip like this. We might see a small segment of the switch nowadays in that the anti-vax movement used to be identified with spacey new-left new-age sorts, strange bedfellows with the rabid right today. But the whole shift of political parties and majorities is unique I think.
Thanks. I'm not much of a political animal, but I think I can guess what Lincoln's ghost would say about today's Republicans.

Did he swear much?

Old 1st October 2021, 10:05 PM   #169
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

As a quick poke at the influences and mechanisms - How Republicans went from the party of Lincoln to the party of Trump, in 13 maps. Much more could be delved into, of course, but I'd say that that's a pretty good start without going too far into OT tangent territory.
Old 1st October 2021, 10:54 PM   #170
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Republicans are depending on the Insanity Defense to justify what they are doing: just like Nixon/Kissinger were using the pretense of the President being drunk/irrational to pressure the Soviets, Republicans are blaming their inability to tell reality from fiction to institute laws and block Democrats with no rational basis.
And their base is happy to be treated as mentally impaired if that gets them special treatment.
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:13 AM   #171
Bubba
Philosopher

Doubles down on trusting authority

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Running away from the truth doesn't make it go away. Pharmaceutical companies provide a bunch of useful and praiseworthy services. That they've also got a bunch of pieces of crap working in high places doesn't even remotely change that. Trying to use either one of those facts to ignore the other is cement-headed stupidity.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:15 AM   #172
Bubba
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Here is a list of CNN's leadership.

Please indicate which one you claim is on the board of a pharmaceutical company.

https://edition.cnn.com/specials/more/cnn-leadership

do some actual homework.

the study was posted on this site numerous times.

Im not gonna go find the original report (years ago).... but here ya go:

oooh... "conspiracy theory' was proven right again

Does it make a dent in cement.....I doubt it.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=big...+boards&ia=web

OH, THE STUDY I REFERRED TO:

https://trofire.com/2017/04/11/big-p...fighting-back/

Last edited by Bubba; 2nd October 2021 at 12:23 AM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:25 AM   #173
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
do some actual homework.

Can you provide a summation? I don't click your links. I don't want that kind of crap on my computer.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:26 AM   #174
Bubba
Philosopher

Quote:
by Cosmic Yak
Here is a list of CNN's leadership.

Seriously.?

Please tell me you know CNN is joke.
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:31 AM   #175
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

do some actual homework.

What does this have to do with COVID CTs?

Oh yeah, nothing.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:36 AM   #176
Bubba
Philosopher

Says he is hopeless:

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Can you provide a summation? I don't click your links. I don't want that kind of crap on my computer.

Nonsense.

The 2017 study found that pharma boardies were also on the boards of the following Major Media corporations....

Wait...since you dont want to know, spoon feeding you makes no sense.

If you click the link, (posted above) you will see another so called "conspiracy theory" was accurate. Your house of cards is falling apart.

Since you do not want to be informed, you are hopeless.
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:37 AM   #177
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Says he is hopeless:

Nonsense.

The 2017 study found that pharma boardies were also on the boards of the following Major Media corporations....

Wait...since you dont want to know, spoon feeding you makes no sense.

If you click the link, (posted above) you will see another so called "conspiracy theory" was accurate. Your house of cards is falling apart.

Since you do not want to be informed, you are hopeless.
What does this have to do with COVID conspiracies?

Oh yeah, nothing.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:43 AM   #178
Bubba
Philosopher

Total proof positive that Big Pharma (proven liars) have nothing to do with covid CTs:

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
What does this have to do with COVID CTs?

Oh yeah, nothing.

Not to mention MSM and Biden and FB and Twitter silencing doctors practicing medicine because nowadays poitilicians and forum idiots know better than doctors
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:48 AM   #179
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Nah, not going OT. I'm sure you can start a Big Pharma CT thread though.

Dr. Brytney Cobia

Last edited by Resume; 2nd October 2021 at 12:51 AM.
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:55 AM   #180
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Maybe some on topic good news though.

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — In a potential leap forward in the global fight against the pandemic, drugmaker Merck said Friday that its experimental pill for people sick with COVID-19 reduced hospitalizations and deaths by half.

If cleared by regulators, it would be the first pill shown to treat COVID-19, adding a whole new, easy-to-use weapon to an arsenal that already includes the vaccine.

The company said it will soon ask health officials in the U.S. and around the world to authorize the pill’s use. A decision from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration could come within weeks after that, and the drug, if it gets the OK, could be distributed quickly soon afterward.
Could be a game changer, though I'm sure the backwards, cement-headed anti-vaxxers will spread dangerous misinformation about this as well.

Dr. Brytney Cobia

Last edited by Resume; 2nd October 2021 at 12:59 AM.
Old 2nd October 2021, 01:09 AM   #181
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Pharmaceutical companies, like all companies, are in business to make a profit. Does that mean they occasionally behave unethically? Of course it does. Does that alter the fact that millions of lives have been saved, and are being saved, by the drugs and vaccines these companies have developed? Of course it does not.

Unscrupulous people have always taken advantage of every advance in every industry to line their own pockets. That doesn't make the advances themselves any less amazing.
Old 2nd October 2021, 01:20 AM   #182
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
That doesn't make the advances themselves any less amazing.
With the COVID death toll nearing 5 million world wide, you have to wonder why these retrograde nutbars dismiss the treatments that work, and promote those that do not.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Old 2nd October 2021, 01:24 AM   #183
GraculusTheGreenBird
Critical Thinker

Good lord, is Bubba still here?

Bubba, you have been wrong about absolutely everything you post. Every single damn time.

You are more consistently wrong than any body else on this board.

Remember when Trump was going to get reinstated? Remember when you believed in Qanon? Remember how you were wrong then, over and over and ovah again?

Guess what, now you are wrong about this subject too. Its almost like you have a deep seated need to be always consistently and without fail utterly wrong about everything.

It's really quite hilarious how badly wrong you get it, every single time.

Bubba, you are always, always, always wrong. Consider why that might be.
GraculusTheGreenBird is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 02:11 AM   #184
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Nah, not going OT. I'm sure you can start a Big Pharma CT thread though.
Yeah, good point.
Bubba, I'd be happy to discuss this in another thread, if you wish to start one.
Old 2nd October 2021, 06:03 AM   #185
Aridas

That desperate, eh? Well, if you really, really want to deny that big business can do anything positive at all, feel free to try to make your case. What you've tried so far is inane, though.

Last edited by Aridas; 2nd October 2021 at 06:16 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 06:11 AM   #186
Aridas

Originally Posted by GraculusTheGreenBird View Post
Good lord, is Bubba still here?

Bubba, you have been wrong about absolutely everything you post. Every single damn time.
Technically, not absolutely everything. He's fought hard to prove that banal and trivial truths are indeed true, after all. Not that they were generally in real dispute in the first place, but hey, he's been quite right that, for example, false flag attacks have happened and are indeed such a recognized tactic that they have their own name!

Last edited by Aridas; 2nd October 2021 at 06:32 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 06:31 AM   #187
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Seriously.?

Please tell me you know CNN is joke.
What big story has CNN gotten wrong? They've been right about COVID-19 all along. They've been right about the election and January 6th.

Considering how the media you consume makes you wrong about pretty much everything, why do you think this is the one time your media is going to be right?

Last edited by Craig4; 2nd October 2021 at 06:32 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 07:31 AM   #188
eerok
Quixoticist

The internet says that the volume of covid anti-vaxx BS is driven by Russian disinfo ops. Same with the other covid-related stupidities you love to spew.

It's obvious what authority you trust.
Old 2nd October 2021, 08:15 AM   #189
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Yet more reasons to ignore cement-headed anti-vaxxers (and horse medicine peddlers) and get the shot.

Quote:
The virus that causes the disease disrupts not just smell and taste, but all the ways humans perceive the world. For some, the loss may be permanent.

It’s easy to take our senses for granted—until there’s a problem with one of them. This is something many people who suffered from COVID-19 discovered when they unexpectedly lost their senses of smell and taste. More recently, though, it has become apparent that a COVID-19 infection can also affect sight, hearing, and touch.

In the short term and the long run, this virus can affect all the ways we perceive and interact with the world.

Though not life-threatening, “it’s disarming to lose any of these senses, especially as suddenly as happens in the context of this infection,” says Jennifer Frontera, a professor of neurology at the NYU Grossman School of Medicine.
Diminishing taste, smell, hearing and sight to own the libs smart people.

Dr. Brytney Cobia

Last edited by Resume; 2nd October 2021 at 08:18 AM.
Old 2nd October 2021, 08:22 AM   #190
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Technically, not absolutely everything. He's fought hard to prove that banal and trivial truths are indeed true, after all. Not that they were generally in real dispute in the first place, but hey, he's been quite right that, for example, false flag attacks have happened and are indeed such a recognized tactic that they have their own name!
Still, I'd run a number of tests before believing this interlocutor if they suggested water is wet. And as has been proven over and over and ovah, his sources are not to be trusted.

Dr. Brytney Cobia

Last edited by Resume; 2nd October 2021 at 08:24 AM.
Old 2nd October 2021, 08:49 AM   #191
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Hey anti-vax nutbars, your hero, Donnie Depends took the Pfizer.

Quote:
Former President Donald Trump has revealed which COVID-19 vaccine he received before leaving the White House.

"Well, I got the Pfizer and I would have been very happy with any of them . . . "
I wonder why he got that one since Pfizer developed it with no money from Operation Warp Speed?

No worries though, Corporal Bone Spurs is still pretending to be a tough guy.

Quote:
Trump contracted COVID last fall at the height of the 2020 presidential campaign.

"I had it, recovered from it pretty well. I don't think I had it like the press, like the media said, you know, they would try to make it difficult," the former president said. "It's not pleasant, but I had it."
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!! The entire world witnessed how ill he was (The Swaying Mussolini at the balcony) yet this special snowflake's fragile ego will not allow him to admit it.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Old 2nd October 2021, 10:46 AM   #192
Paul2
Philosopher

So what? There are times when you *should* trust authority, and as well as times when you shouldn't.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:02 PM   #193
Aridas

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
So what? There are times when you *should* trust authority, and as well as times when you shouldn't.
It's rather hard to even call this trusting authority, though. Bubba's trying to dispute a banal, trivial truth. Short version, though -

Bubba - We shouldn't trust the vaccines (or anything else) created by pharmaceutical companies because they're evil and do things like work to create the opioid crisis for profit.

Me - Yes, big businesses are known to do bad things, but that's not all they do, by a long shot. You're trying to justify throwing a whole bunch of babies out with the bathwater.

Bubba - You're doubling down on trusting authority.

Trusting authority only even could apply in the sense of "everything you know is wrong!" Scientific consensus, medical consensus, government, media, anyone who understands how things supposedly works... everyone is lying or has been tricked!

All so he can refuse to truly acknowledge the blindingly obvious.
Old 2nd October 2021, 03:41 PM   #194
Bubba
Philosopher

A rather lame misrepresentation

It's rather hard to even call this trusting authority, though. Bubba's trying to dispute a banal, trivial truth. Short version, though -

Bubba - We shouldn't trust the vaccines (or anything else) created by pharmaceutical companies because they're evil and do things like work to create the opioid crisis for profit.

Ridiculous extrapolation.

As Paul2 said:

Quote:
There are times when you *should* trust authority, and as well as times when you shouldn't.

Discernment.

BTW:

Pharma guys got govt to grant them immunity from vaccine damage lawsuits.

Did you know?

Last edited by Bubba; 2nd October 2021 at 03:45 PM.
Old 2nd October 2021, 03:59 PM   #195
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

As Paul2 said:

Discernment.

BTW:

Did you know?
Yes. Next question please.
Old 2nd October 2021, 04:00 PM   #196
Aridas

Sadly, no, given your actual posts. If you don't like that, pay attention to what you actually respond to and say.

Did you know?
You've tried to raise something very similar before, but never answered a simple question for me. Is it new and just for Covid vaccines or is simply a continuation of a previously distinctly non-controversial policy?

I'll add another, though. Would you be kind enough to describe and assess the official reasons in an at least remotely objective fashion?

Last edited by Aridas; 2nd October 2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old 2nd October 2021, 04:17 PM   #197
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Did you know?
Nope. They can be sued for willful misconduct if they deliberately hide information; they can't be sued for unforseeable circumstances.

This you clearly did not not know because the propaganda media that gulls you didn't tell you.

Quote:
"Social media is being entirely misleading in saying that vaccine companies just get a 'get out of jail free pass," he said. "That's not the case. If they act fraudulently, negligently, then they absolutely can and should be sued."
So wrong again, per usual.

Dr. Brytney Cobia

Last edited by Resume; 2nd October 2021 at 04:21 PM.
Old 3rd October 2021, 10:29 AM   #198
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Covid deniers are almost literally saying "If you think that Covid isn't as bad as its vaccine, we have some prime Tanzanian beachfront property for you"

I thought it was more traditional to chose Oklahom

244341702_4458344537592789_3515285576158332243_n.jpg

244408569_4458345107592732_7218531282495899432_n.jpg

244380349_4458345690926007_9159193766874113018_n.jpga.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 12:05 PM   #199
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Covid deniers are almost literally saying "If you think that Covid isn't as bad as its vaccine, we have some prime Tanzanian beachfront property for you"

Attachment 45383

Attachment 45384

Attachment 45385a.
They'll go full Lord of the Flies within a year.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 12:44 PM   #200
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

Attachment 45383

Attachment 45384

Attachment 45385a.
Lol @ "self sufficient"

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories