IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd October 2021, 02:04 AM   #41
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MaartenVergu View Post
If there was an infinite amount of time in the past, then it would have taken infinite time for time to reach to our present moment. We would never meet the present moment. So, we can't postulate that there was an infinite amount of time before our present moment. But it's also hard to grasp that there was a fixed amount of time in our past and 'nothing before that'. How can we have an idea of what that means? We can't. Conclusion: not even a scientist can grasp 'time' and 'infinity'. Our minds can't grasp it. No math or science can discover this part of reality.
That's one of the mysteries of reality we can only meet with 'awe'.
That is because we are just animals. Our whole being responds to circadian rhythms, moon cycles, seasonal migration. So we count time by these cycles.

That is all time is. We can't see beyond the walls of the cave.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 02:11 AM   #42
MaartenVergu
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
That is because we are just animals. Our whole being responds to circadian rhythms, moon cycles, seasonal migration. So we count time by these cycles.

That is all time is. We can't see beyond the walls of the cave.
Yes, that's right. I completely agree. A scientist is just an animal, thinking he can grasp what the mathematics is pointing to, but he can't. Because he can't see beyond the walls of his cave.

Last edited by MaartenVergu; 3rd October 2021 at 02:21 AM.
MaartenVergu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 02:55 AM   #43
Planigale
Philosopher

Originally Posted by suren View Post
Time and space in relativity theory are tightly connected. That's why it's often called space-time. So "before Bing Bang" is probably a wrong question regardless of how counter intuitive this sounds. By "Big Bang happened" I meant time started with Big Bang.
At least we know what comes after ....

BONG!
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 03:31 AM   #44
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

It's the complete opposite of arrogance. It's recognizing that we all are small in relation to 'the universe' and its mysteries. And no. No God is mentioned here.
Nor by me. But, no, it's arrogance; you are, in effect, saying "I don't understand infinity on any level, therefore neither does anyone else." Perhaps you might consider the possibility that some people have better understanding than you.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 03:45 AM   #45
MaartenVergu
Illuminator

Maybe a happy few can grasp the mysteries of the universe no one understands. But how would we, the people, know? You can't blame us 'arrogance' for not being able to know that someone else know something that we all can't grasp.
MaartenVergu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 03:48 AM   #46
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

So, you claim you understand all these things? You claim you grasp 'infinity' while it's mind-blowing for most of us? WOW. You must be a real genius.
Don't judge others by your standard.

What is 'mind-blowing' for you might not be 'mind-blowing' for someone else.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 03:55 AM   #47
erlando
Master Poster

I suggest this thread be moved to "Religion and Philosophy". It has nothing to do with science and everything to do with the ability of "we, the people" to grasp the concept of infinity.
Old 3rd October 2021, 03:59 AM   #48
MaartenVergu
Illuminator

Do you agree that some things we will never know because our ape brain can't possible graps it?
Old 3rd October 2021, 04:03 AM   #49
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Do you agree that some things we will never know because our ape brain can't possible graps it?

Can you give some examples of these things?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 04:07 AM   #50
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I can't =/= no one can

There's a lot of things I can't grasp but I don't assume my lack of understanding is universal.
So, you claim you understand all these things? You claim you grasp 'infinity' while it's mind-blowing for most of us? WOW. You must be a real genius.

I think we can safely say that the meaning of P.J. Denyer’s post is something that you failed to grasp.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 04:09 AM   #51
MaartenVergu
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Can you give some examples of these things?
Infinity, time=0, etc.
Old 3rd October 2021, 04:11 AM   #52
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Infinity, time=0, etc.

These are concepts that have been produced by our “ape brain”.

Old 3rd October 2021, 04:33 AM   #53
MaartenVergu
Illuminator

It's easy to write it on paper in a book you call 'mathematics'.
It's more difficult to really grasp the weight of these concepts.
Old 3rd October 2021, 04:36 AM   #54
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

A lot of people start thinking about this at some point in their lives. Some become philosophers. Some become paranormal believers. Some decide that it's ultimately inconclusive and not worth further serious effort.

All I care about is where you're going with this. Are you just starting to inquire about these things, and are looking for help in how to think through them? Or have you already done your thinking and reached your conclusions? If the latter, could you please just get to whatever your point is?
Old 3rd October 2021, 04:36 AM   #55
erlando
Master Poster

Infinity, time=0, etc.
Mathematicians routinely work with several different types of infinities. They can even order them by size.

Time=0 is mainly a theoretical concept in the big bang theory and is defined as the moment that spacetime came into existance. I'm quite sure that theoretical cosmologists have no problem working with it.

It's quite possible that there exists things that are unknowable. But it's not our "ape brain" that can't know it. It will be physical laws that stand in the way.

Last edited by erlando; 3rd October 2021 at 04:43 AM.
erlando is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 04:45 AM   #56
MaartenVergu
Illuminator

“I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics.” It is one of the most repeated quotes of Richard Feynman (11 May 1918 – 15 February 1988).

That summarises it all.
Old 3rd October 2021, 05:25 AM   #57
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

“I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics.” It is one of the most repeated quotes of Richard Feynman (11 May 1918 – 15 February 1988).

That summarises it all.
An appeal to popularity is a terrible summary. Tell us the context of Feynman's statement, and what he meant by it in that context, in your own words.
Old 3rd October 2021, 05:31 AM   #58
MaartenVergu
Illuminator

That's something not so difficult to understand: nobody understands quantum physics, says a physicist!
An the whole universe is made of QM;
Ergo; no one understands the universe
QED

Last edited by MaartenVergu; 3rd October 2021 at 05:33 AM.
Old 3rd October 2021, 05:37 AM   #59
erlando
Master Poster

That's something not so difficult to understand: nobody understands quantum physics, says a physicist!
QED
Get to your point already. Or is this it?
Old 3rd October 2021, 05:40 AM   #60
erlando
Master Poster

That summarises it all.
Because everyone stopped trying 30 years ago...
Old 3rd October 2021, 05:48 AM   #61
MaartenVergu
Illuminator

Ok, I don't understand QM. Maybe scientists do understand it, but I doubt it that they understand it fundamentally.

F.e. Scientists talk about a singularity. But do they really grasp it? It's called 'undefined' in the mathematics of general relativity. The beginning of time and at the center of every black hole is a singularity. But do scientists really understand what the mathematics of a singularity is pointing to?
Old 3rd October 2021, 05:54 AM   #62
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

What kind of things?

There were lots of things we didn't know but we now know.

How do you decide on which things we will never know?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 05:55 AM   #63
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

For you maybe.
Old 3rd October 2021, 05:57 AM   #64
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

That summarises it all.

that was then. How do you know that there aren't people that understand it or it will never be understood?
Old 3rd October 2021, 05:59 AM   #65
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Ok, I don't understand QM. Maybe scientists do understand it, but I doubt it that they understand it fundamentally.
have you asked them?
Why would you doubt that those that understand QM don't understand it 'fundamentally'?

Quote:
F.e. Scientists talk about a singularity. But do they really grasp it? It's called 'undefined' in the mathematics of general relativity. The beginning of time and at the center of every black hole is a singularity. But do scientists really understand what the mathematics of a singularity is pointing to?
If they don't why does it mean they never will?

It is an area of active and ongoing research.

Putting your world view and philosophy in the gaps in knowledge will doom them to diminish.
Old 3rd October 2021, 06:56 AM   #66
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

QED
You have no idea of the context in which Feynman was speaking, do you? You have no idea who his audience was, what they understood him to be saying, or what actual argument he was developing when he said it. Hell, you don't even know if he was right.
Old 3rd October 2021, 07:19 AM   #67
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

All of this has a very familiar ring (ISF from a few years back)- and the repetition hasn't made the "nobody really knows!" wailing any better an argument, it's all still just the usual trying to find a god in the gaps. Seven (and more) years on, and all that's going to happen is the same round-and-round.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 07:22 AM   #68
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

That summarises it all.
What is there to "understand"? We have the equations. The equations work. They make predictions. We use them to engineer products that also work.

Just because QM is different from the macro level world we interact with does not mean it cannot be understood.
Old 3rd October 2021, 07:41 AM   #69
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
What is there to "understand"? We have the equations. The equations work. They make predictions. We use them to engineer products that also work.

Just because QM is different from the macro level world we interact with does not mean it cannot be understood.
I think what a lot of people fail to understand is that mathematics is a language that describes reality (with great precision) rather than something detached with arbitrary rules used for it's own sake.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 12:23 PM   #70
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post

BONG!
No, it was a lot of complaints about the noise. "I moved to this universe for some peace and quiet!"

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 03:53 PM   #71
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a MUCH better discussion on QM. Start here, perhaps, and then do more research.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/07/o...m-physics.html
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 04:00 PM   #72
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Here's a MUCH better discussion on QM. Start here, perhaps, and then do more research.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/07/o...m-physics.html
Research?
Old 3rd October 2021, 11:16 PM   #73
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Yeah, yeah, science is ever evolving, and knowledge is incomplete. However, this does not then lend greater credence to any belief system claiming to "know it all" or deal in absolutes. Sadly, because the "all-knowing" and "eternal truth" memes predate science, the complaint has ever been that because science evolves, it is wrong. Even more tragically, those memes have no grounding of any kind whatsover, and have been a fake, idealized model confusing humanity ever since.

Fact of the matter is, you can't even boil an egg with faith, leading to "egg on your faith".
Old 3rd October 2021, 11:39 PM   #74
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Fact of the matter is, you can't even boil an egg with faith
Have you tried?
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 12:27 AM   #75
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Have you tried?
Like asking have you tried to fly by tying a red cape around your neck and jumping off the terrace, isn't it?
Old 4th October 2021, 12:55 AM   #76
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post

BONG!
The Big Bong......
There's something there.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 12:56 AM   #77
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Like asking have you tried to fly by tying a red cape around your neck and jumping off the terrace, isn't it?
To test this properly, we should attempt to boil an egg by tying a red cape around your neck and jumping off the terrace. If done properly, it will make time more understandable.
Old 4th October 2021, 04:55 AM   #78
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

What are you talking about? Again? I'm new here on the forum. What 'again'?
Uh...maybe there's some background reading you should have done.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 04:59 AM   #79
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Newton said something similar about orbital mechanics as I recall. That, it turns out, didn't age well.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 05:01 AM   #80
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Wait. All this is about your math anxiety? I was never very good in math either but I didn't tell Stephan Hawking and Neil DeGrass Tyson to go home and stop messing about with it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy