IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Which COVID vaccine did you choose to get?
Moderna 14 33.33%
Pfizer 23 54.76%
Johnson & Johnson 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th October 2021, 11:58 PM   #1
Warp12
Master Poster

- USA: Which COVID Vaccine Did You Get? -

Which COVID-19 vaccine did you get, and why that particular one?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...M:gen:PTN:FY21
Old 8th October 2021, 12:17 AM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Needs multiple choice.
Old 8th October 2021, 12:27 AM   #3
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Needs multiple choice.
Which one(s) did you get, if you are a USA resident?

Last edited by Warp12; 8th October 2021 at 12:30 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 01:17 AM   #4
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Needs multiple choice.
...and a Planet X option.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 01:19 AM   #5
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
...and a Planet X option.
USA resident? Which vaccine(s) did you get?
Old 8th October 2021, 01:57 AM   #6
Warp12
Master Poster

I got the Moderna. It seemed to be around top of the possible effectiveness, and numerous people I knew had only minor discomfort, mostly with the second dose. My experience was the same.
Old 8th October 2021, 06:40 AM   #7
Tomboy
Thinker

I got Pfizer. First dose March 12, second Apr 2, third Oct 5. I took the first appointment I could get and that's what they were offering so that's what I got. My preference was for one of the mRNA vaccines, but honestly, I'd've taken anything they were willing to stick in my arm.

Minimal reactions to the first two. Sore arm + headache and nasal congestion the day after, and a feeling of being more tired and more easily fatigued than usual for a few days after that. Everything other than the sore arm are things I have often anyway and so may not have been because of the vaccine. After the third dose, I had the sore arm, but also a headache and pretty substantial muscle aches with alternating chills and sweats for about a day and a half. No regrets. I'd get the shot again tomorrow even if I knew I'd have the same reaction or worse.

One of my coworkers got Moderna and had a similar reaction after her first dose - headache, muscle aches, chills, etc.
Tomboy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 08:03 AM   #8
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I got the one that was offered, I didn't have a choice of vaccines. At that time there was only one available in my region.
Old 8th October 2021, 08:08 AM   #9
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

J&J. At the time vaccines were still pretty hard to get, requiring appointments and all that unlike the "Walk in and get it" typicalness of now, so I thought a "One and Done" would be easier to get.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 09:27 AM   #10
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Pfizer, first offered and my wife's preferred choice as a bonus. She pointed out that both Presidents, Congress, and Dr Fauchi got that one. She takes the hint.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 09:31 AM   #11
crackers
Muse

Pfizer. It was the one they were offering where I went to get vaccinated. I didn’t ask if they had any other one, and they didn’t volunteer that info. If I had a choice, I would have taken either Pfizer or Moderna, since I had read that they were more effective than J&J, and also that there seemed to be a greater chance of a reaction to the J&J vaccine.
crackers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 09:50 AM   #12
TokenMac
Critical Thinker

Pfizer.
Like a lot of people, I took what was offered.

I had no side-effect but a sore arm, which happens when I get a flu shot too. My girlfriend felt sick after the first shot, but she felt nothing with the 2nd.
Old 8th October 2021, 10:04 AM   #13
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Needs multiple choice.
Is it even possible to have gotten mixed vaccinations in the U.S.?

Here in Canada, our government has allowed mixing of vaccines. (I myself have one Pfizer, one Moderna). It was done that way to speed the vaccination process (i.e. no delays caused by vaccine clinics not having the "right" second dose.... just show up and take whatever is available.)

But did they ever do that in the U.S.? Or did they require people's second doses match the first?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 10:05 AM   #14
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I'll have to find a cite but I think the FDA has not approved any mixed vaccinations, but some doctors have still resorted to them for high risk patients.

ETA: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/26/delt...t-variant.html

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 10:07 AM   #15
plague311
Great minds think...

I held out for the J&J because it was one and done. I didn't have to wait long as I got it in the middle of April. I had a few days of uncomfortable muscle aches, but other than that I was fine.

ETA: I also just got off of quarantine from having COVID on Monday. A "breakthrough" case if you will. It was mild. Some heavy head and chest congestion, and I lost my taste for a few days. I personally think that if I wasn't vaccinated I would have needed hospitalization.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 8th October 2021 at 10:28 AM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 10:33 AM   #16
Finster
Graduate Poster

Wife and I both got Pfizer. Got the booster Wednesday. Wife had very mild flu-ish symptoms after second one. I didn’t notice any side effects.
Old 8th October 2021, 12:14 PM   #17
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Which COVID-19 vaccine did you get, and why that particular one?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...M:gen:PTN:FY21
I got J&J first because its made from dead babies. But I've now had all three. I also went down to Tijuana and got the Sputnik vaccine. How could I pass up an opportunity to get something called Sputnik shot into my veins?

So my chances of getting infected with COVID is the same as it always has been, but my chances of knowing that I'm infected, is close to zero. I hope I can get a booster soon!!!
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 12:45 PM   #18
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

I got the Moderna with the s457 tracking microchip since that's all that was available at the time.
Old 8th October 2021, 12:47 PM   #19
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

Here in Canada, our government has allowed mixing of vaccines. (I myself have one Pfizer, one Moderna). It was done that way to speed the vaccination process (i.e. no delays caused by vaccine clinics not having the "right" second dose.... just show up and take whatever is available.)

But did they ever do that in the U.S.? Or did they require people's second doses match the first?
I heard on a podcast by the Economist called 'the jab' that mixing vaccine like that was being tested as possibly offering better protection, but I was not aware of it being done in Canada.

As far as I know, everyone in the US gets two of the same if a second shot is required.
Old 8th October 2021, 01:53 PM   #20
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

J&J, boosted by Moderna.
Old 8th October 2021, 05:11 PM   #21
Boudicca90
Muse

Moderna.

VA called me up back in March and said I was eligible and gave me a choice between Moderna and J&J. After some quick research I realized Moderna was superior, so I went with that. I've also been informed that I can get the booster soon.

Went smoothly except for some pretty bad soreness in my arm, especially after the second dose.
Boudicca90 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 05:19 PM   #22
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I got the one that was offered, I didn't have a choice of vaccines. At that time there was only one available in my region.
Same here. I wasn't aware of any choice.
Old 8th October 2021, 05:28 PM   #23
mgidm86
Philosopher

Why the **** do you care?
Old 9th October 2021, 03:59 AM   #24
Warp12
Master Poster

I've known of some people claiming to get more than one type of vaccination. I am not certain that there is a limitation on that here in the US? I have my vaccine card, but I forget what info I had to enter. If no SS#, it seems like you could get as many different ones as you want? Not certain.
Old 9th October 2021, 11:44 AM   #25
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
I got the Moderna with the s457 tracking microchip since that's all that was available at the time.

That’s the one with the tentacled creatures in it, right?
Old 9th October 2021, 01:11 PM   #26
Bubba
Philosopher

Quote:
by sir drinks-a-lot View Post

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
That’s the one with the tentacled creatures in it, right?

Or maybe it is the one the nation of Iceland banned yesterday ?

https://californianewstimes.com/icel...-fears/552346/
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2021, 02:57 PM   #27
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I got the Moderna. Nothing seems to stick to me except ticks and sawdust. I'm disappointed - went to the beach earlier this month hoping to snag some gold coins and stuff, but didn't feel the buzz.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events