ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF
 

Notices


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "An Honest Liar" , documentaries , james randi

Reply
Old 10th March 2015, 11:27 PM   #41
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing
 
AdMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,076
Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but....

I did see Linda & Karl. And DJ. And Michael Feldman (NECSS organizer) and his dad. And my friend Daniela was in the credits. And I was too!!! Sort of. At least someone with my name. I'm gonna tell the girls it is me.

That's nothing. The Kickstarter streaming version of the film has my email address as a super at the top right of the screen throughout the entire movie! I am honored!*

*Please don't write me, though.

Last edited by AdMan; 10th March 2015 at 11:55 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2015, 05:45 AM   #42
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 50,165
Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
That's nothing. The Kickstarter streaming version of the film has my email address as a super at the top right of the screen throughout the entire movie! I am honored!*

*Please don't write me, though.
Liar! That's my email address. Anyone who watches it will see it plain as day.
__________________
If I see somebody with a gun on a plane? I'll kill him.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2015, 09:33 AM   #43
Alpha1
New Blood
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9
Please get the word out

Please get your friends out to see the movie! Tyler and Justin have worked their asses off putting this film together. They are working to distribute this direct to theaters themselves, and most stints are only a week long. Go to anhonestliar.com to see the theater schedules.

Thanks!
Alpha1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2015, 03:34 PM   #44
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 50,165
Well, well, well. This certainly is interesting!

http://deadline.com/2015/03/barry-so...ha-1201391493/
__________________
If I see somebody with a gun on a plane? I'll kill him.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2015, 06:34 PM   #45
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing
 
AdMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,076
Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Well, well, well. This certainly is interesting!

http://deadline.com/2015/03/barry-so...ha-1201391493/

Wow!

I wonder who will play Randi.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2015, 08:32 AM   #46
malaka
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,334
I finally got around to watching the Kickstarter stream. I liked it a lot! Learned quite a bit I didn't previously know. I also liked seeing the footage of a young James. I wonder if the bonus footage will ever be made available to the public. I found the "To Tell The Truth" connection to be...well...amazing!

I skipped the credits. Are backers names listed? Anyway, I'm proud and honored to be a small part of it all.

Last edited by malaka; 17th March 2015 at 08:36 AM.
malaka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2015, 11:07 AM   #47
wardenclyffe
Master Poster
 
wardenclyffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,166
Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
Wow!

I wonder who will play Randi.
I'm betting that there will be a death match between Jason Alexander and Neil Patrick Harris over who gets to play him.

Ward
__________________
~~Na eth'er aa, ammre' en ank'aar'eith, d'emner'aa-, asd'reng'aather, em'n'err-aae...~
- Alenara Al'Kher'aat, aged 347
wardenclyffe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2015, 05:31 PM   #48
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy
 
SkepticScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,927
I'm going to see AHL again in Cambridge on the 22nd. Anyone else in the area?
__________________
-- Scott
SkepticScott is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2015, 03:18 PM   #49
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind
 
MoeFaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,048
Just saw this last night and loved it. Really, really loved it. Great film!
__________________
This post brought to you by the artist fauxmerly known as Moe.
MoeFaux is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2015, 10:19 PM   #50
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator
 
DevilsAdvocate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,185
I saw this at the Landmark Opera Plaza Cinema in San Francisco on Wednesday, March 25. There were about a dozen people there.

I thought it was pretty good. There was a lot of great old and not often seen footage of Randi. It concentrated a lot on Deyvi. They make such an odd couple, especially with their age difference. It isn’t really what I think about when I think about Randi, but they did make it into an interesting and emotional story.

I wish it had more on the Million Dollar Challenge, which barely got a mention. JREF and TAM seemed to be largely skipped over as well.

I was disappointed that Geller got an almost final word without rebuttal. After the movie, the person I saw it with seemed to be really thinking and re-evaluating his beliefs. Several hours after seeing the film, he said that he had thought the most relevant statement in the film was at the end when Geller said that just because a stage magician was able to replicate his abilities using magic trick doesn’t mean that he isn’t doing them with real powers, but it had just dawned on him that that wasn’t actually relevant because it didn’t explain why Geller was unable to perform on The Tonight Show when his props had been set up to foil his tricks or why other people’s claimed abilities failed when done under conditions to control against trickery.

The best part was the next day when we were shopping and stopped into a tea shop and were drinking some samples and the girl behind the counter was describing the flavors, ingredients, and benefits of each tea: “This one is good for a congested cough. This cures a headache. This one is good for cancer patients and prevents Alzheimer's.” He said, “It is amazing that each one of these teas has so many health benefits. Oh, wait…Amazing. Liars!” I gave him a knowing wink. We still bought some tea. It was delicious.
__________________
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2015, 06:09 AM   #51
epepke
Philosopher
 
epepke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 9,264
Really a good film. Amazingly balanced.
__________________
"It probably came from a sticky dark planet far, far away."
- Godzilla versus Hedora

"There's no evidence that the 9-11 attacks (whoever did them) were deliberately attacking civilians. On the contrary the targets appear to have been chosen as military."
-DavidByron
epepke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2015, 09:40 AM   #52
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,131
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
I saw this at the Landmark Opera Plaza Cinema in San Francisco on Wednesday, March 25. There were about a dozen people there.

I thought it was pretty good. There was a lot of great old and not often seen footage of Randi. It concentrated a lot on Deyvi. They make such an odd couple, especially with their age difference. It isn’t really what I think about when I think about Randi, but they did make it into an interesting and emotional story.

I wish it had more on the Million Dollar Challenge, which barely got a mention. JREF and TAM seemed to be largely skipped over as well.

I was disappointed that Geller got an almost final word without rebuttal. After the movie, the person I saw it with seemed to be really thinking and re-evaluating his beliefs. Several hours after seeing the film, he said that he had thought the most relevant statement in the film was at the end when Geller said that just because a stage magician was able to replicate his abilities using magic trick doesn’t mean that he isn’t doing them with real powers, but it had just dawned on him that that wasn’t actually relevant because it didn’t explain why Geller was unable to perform on The Tonight Show when his props had been set up to foil his tricks or why other people’s claimed abilities failed when done under conditions to control against trickery.

The best part was the next day when we were shopping and stopped into a tea shop and were drinking some samples and the girl behind the counter was describing the flavors, ingredients, and benefits of each tea: “This one is good for a congested cough. This cures a headache. This one is good for cancer patients and prevents Alzheimer's.” He said, “It is amazing that each one of these teas has so many health benefits. Oh, wait…Amazing. Liars!” I gave him a knowing wink. We still bought some tea. It was delicious.
I wonder if anyone told the girl behind the counter that unless the tea is willow bark or infused with aspirin that claiming it as a cure is frowned upon by the people who can shut you down for that.
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2015, 07:41 PM   #53
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing
 
AdMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,076
"An Honest Liar" is now available streaming on Netflix (US, a least--maybe other countries too). Worth catching there if you haven't yet seen it.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2015, 07:17 AM   #54
Sherman Bay
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 1,715
I just saw the film on Netflix. Here's my critique.

It should be titled "The Alvarez Story."

Although it has a happy ending which was obviously added (or edited) just a few days ago, I feel that it has way, way, way too much emphasis on Alvarez and Geller and way too little about the Million Dollar Challenge, which was mentioned only once in passing.

Perhaps I missed something, but the credits include Tim Minchin and Neil DeGrasse Tyson, neither of which I saw in the film. While the interviews with Plait, Shaw, Swiss and others were good, I would have preferred less of them and more of other skeptics, that is, a broader field.

Some may feel that the subjects are portrayed in a "balanced" fashion, which is true only if you think that giving equal weight to the cops and the crooks makes it balanced. A scientist says aliens haven't yet visited the Earth, and a nutjob says he was abducted and taken to Zeti Reticuli last weekend. Sure -- give them equal time in science class to make it balanced.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2015, 08:11 AM   #55
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin
 
zooterkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Berkshire, mostly
Posts: 32,290
I've only seen the cut-down version that the BBC showed earlier in the year, but my DVD arrived on Friday, so I'll watch that soon, and see what's on the extras.

I don't think the MDC makes for great watching; I saw one, and it was about the more boring hour I've ever spent. I also don't know that Randi is particularly involved in them, at least not during the time that filming was taking place.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.Bertrand Russell
Zooterkin is correct Darat
Nerd! Hokulele
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2015, 10:30 AM   #56
Sherman Bay
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 1,715
Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I don't think the MDC makes for great watching; I saw one, and it was about the more boring hour I've ever spent. I also don't know that Randi is particularly involved in them, at least not during the time that filming was taking place.
I agree that watching an actual test is a lot like watching paint dry. But I feel that the MDC; the fact that few have applied for it; and no one has passed the preliminary test, is a crowning achievement of James Randi's career, and should be emphasized much more than the film did. It's a great "put up or shut up" moment well worth trumpeting in a hagiographic show.

And Randi's non-involvement in an actual test is deliberate, intended to defuse the obvious objections that his presence is a negative factor and will prevent any paranormal power from working. Nevertheless, the MDC was his baby AFAIK, crafted by him as the ultimate FU to charlatans.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:40 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.