ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st May 2020, 10:33 AM   #241
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
No one denies this.

Could an "average man" beat the best of women? Usually not. Could someone of above average capability (not extraordinary), some motivation and a bit of training do so (perhaps someone who is a transwoman)?

Probably.

I certainly don't think trans folk will "dominate" as I acknowledge they're very rare within society... but it only takes a few to overcome records and to ruin some competitions.
Only if you think a transwoman is not a woman. Otherwise it is an impressive accomplishment in women's sports.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2020, 10:43 AM   #242
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Only if you think a transwoman is not a woman. Otherwise it is an impressive accomplishment in women's sports.
Even though I think a transwoman is a woman, I don't think it's an impressive accomplishment. What makes you say it's impressive?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2020, 11:15 AM   #243
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Even though I think a transwoman is a woman, I don't think it's an impressive accomplishment. What makes you say it's impressive?
Because it is breaking a record and that is generally sufficient to find something impressive.

(also the being willing to compete while taking a mound of crap from people hostile to her existence... sort of a Jackie Robinson thing)
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2020, 11:38 AM   #244
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

How do you figure it's impressive for a male-bodied person to dominate in a women's sport? If a male-bodied person who identified as a man broke a women's record, would you find that impressive?

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
Because it is breaking a record and that is generally sufficient to find something impressive.
Same question to you: would you find it impressive if a male-bodied person who identified as a man broke a women's record?

Last edited by Emily's Cat; 1st May 2020 at 11:39 AM.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2020, 12:05 PM   #245
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
How do you figure it's impressive for a male-bodied person to dominate in a women's sport? If a male-bodied person who identified as a man broke a women's record, would you find that impressive?

Same question to you: would you find it impressive if a male-bodied person who identified as a man broke a women's record?
It isn't the body that makes it impressive. I don't care when some someone sets a weightlifting record for their weight class. It is solely the matter of gender identity that makes it interesting to me.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2020, 01:27 PM   #246
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

It isn't the body that makes it impressive. I don't care when some someone sets a weightlifting record for their weight class. It is solely the matter of gender identity that makes it interesting to me.
Would you find it impressive if a heavyweight set a record in the welterweight division?
Old 1st May 2020, 02:56 PM   #247
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Would you find it impressive if a heavyweight set a record in the welterweight division?
I don't find welterweight records interesting.
Old 1st May 2020, 03:40 PM   #248
Giz
Philosopher

Indeed. Such as when an under 15ís team beat a USA national soccer team 5-2. Whether it was the USA menís or womenís soccer team doesnít change how impressive it was.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2020, 05:11 PM   #249
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Indeed. Such as when an under 15ís team beat a USA national soccer team 5-2. Whether it was the USA menís or womenís soccer team doesnít change how impressive it was.
In 2016, a team of 15-year-old boys defeated the Australian women's national women's team 7-0

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2020, 05:56 PM   #250
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I don't find welterweight records interesting.
She didn't ask if it was interesting, she asked if it was impressive.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2020, 06:09 PM   #251
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Y'all are being Bobbed

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2020, 09:35 PM   #252
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think it is impressive
Old 1st May 2020, 09:36 PM   #253
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think it is impressive
Good. I think that was the point.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2020, 09:44 PM   #254
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Good. I think that was the point.
Why? Because I don't find weight class an interesting distinction? I can't be impressed if I don't care.

Separately, now I'm not sure a bunch of sporting accomplishments are impressive. It seems a lot of sporting activity is shaped around activities compatible with our evolved form. It isn't that impressive that you ran fast with a body evolved to run. Maybe the only impressive thing out there is people doing things that is not compatible with our bodies, like people who set guineas world records for bear walking.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 1st May 2020 at 10:06 PM.
Old 2nd May 2020, 05:43 AM   #255
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Maybe the only impressive thing out there is people doing things that is not compatible with our bodies, like people who set guineas world records for bear walking.
No, like leaping off a cliff with nothing but your clothing. That is impressive for doing things that are not compatible with our evolved bodies. Anything else is doing something that your body was evolved to do.
Old 2nd May 2020, 05:55 AM   #256
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
No, like leaping off a cliff with nothing but your clothing. That is impressive for doing things that are not compatible with our evolved bodies. Anything else is doing something that your body was evolved to do.
It is so awesome that I found someone with the same idea.i might start direct messaging you later to share sports that are interesting to watch.
Old 2nd May 2020, 06:17 AM   #257
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
In 2016, a team of 15-year-old boys defeated the Australian women's national women's team 7-0

I guess that disproves Oscar Wilde's aphorism.
Too bad, I always liked it. (The aphorism, not football.)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2020, 01:16 PM   #258
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Only because we take the usual context of record-breaking for granted. Obviously that's not reasonable in this case.

Quote:
(also the being willing to compete while taking a mound of crap from people hostile to her existence... sort of a Jackie Robinson thing)
(that Jackie Robinson thing where he dunked on a Little League team and was hailed for his barrier-breaking record breaking?)
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2020, 04:55 AM   #259
TahiniBinShawarma
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
Look, its just very important to have a strong government that controls what people do in their private lives. After all, that is what the GOP stands for right?
No.
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events