ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 24th July 2020, 02:33 AM   #1841
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Still no ginger beer in Tesco in Chepstow yesterday though allegedly there's a delivery due soon.

Mrs Don reported that social distancing has completely gone out of the window and only a small proportion of shoppers were wearing masks. For some reason the place was absolutely packed - my last few visits have been to a fairly empty shop - which made the lack of social distancing even worse.

At the moment there are very few new cases in Monmouthshire BUT Bristol is turning into a Covid-19 hotspot and a lot of people who live around here work in Bristol. With pressure to return to work, I'm concerned that we might soon see a spike in infections.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 12:57 PM   #1842
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

I just got back from visiting three sets of elderly cousins 35 miles away. In the end they all invited me in and I went in. We sat well apart from each other and offered each other virtual hugs but otherwise didn't take any special precautions because we all knew the others had been very careful. I accepted coffee and jammy scones and strawberry tartlets from one lot.

We were all pleased to see each other because apart from one elderly cousin who is a widow and has carers coming in several times a day to help her with personal tasks, and who was in hospital recently for ten days, nobody had seen anyone for months and one couple said they had only been out of the house about three times since March.

It's good to get your head round the idea that normal things can be done again, but on the other hand we knew we were doing them now because there's a chance infections will go up again and restrictions might be re-imposed.
Old 24th July 2020, 01:22 PM   #1843
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Still no ginger beer in Tesco in Chepstow yesterday though allegedly there's a delivery due soon.

Mrs Don reported that social distancing has completely gone out of the window and only a small proportion of shoppers were wearing masks. For some reason the place was absolutely packed - my last few visits have been to a fairly empty shop - which made the lack of social distancing even worse.

At the moment there are very few new cases in Monmouthshire BUT Bristol is turning into a Covid-19 hotspot and a lot of people who live around here work in Bristol. With pressure to return to work, I'm concerned that we might soon see a spike in infections.
Plenty of Bundaberg in Dublin. Also many stores are now requiring masks.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 08:41 PM   #1844
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

My second trip to the grocery store today since March, and again I forgot to check the paper products aisle! Oops. I was on a very specific mission for hot dogs and wasn't dallying around.

I did see a manager I used to chat with having their break outside. I told them it was only my second visit and I just returned to the store for the first time earlier this week, and he asked, "Why?" As in, why hadn't I gone to the store for four months. Of course I patiently explained that I have respiratory issues and asthma, but I wish that weren't something I needed to explain. Some folks need to choose caution. Oh well.

I did a better job assembling my four protections layers this time around, figured out how to get the bandana over my three masks without it budging by attaching it to the back of my hat.

*Parrot Mason's mask courtesy of alfaniner*
MoeFaux is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 05:31 AM   #1845
eerok
Quixoticist

For the first time since this thing started, I bought toilet paper. I didn't need it, but I was at Canadian Tire, and they had a stack at the end of an aisle, so what the heck, I grabbed a pack of 24 rolls. I should be good for another year.

I still haven't been to a grocery store for months, but I discovered that the delivery system for my favorite grocery store is so good, I don't have to.

My biggest covid-related news is that my certified sailing course that was canceled in the spring will likely happen on my own boat. Sail Canada wouldn't let the regular course proceed on their own boats due to safety/insurance reasons, but apparently they can still use student boats.
Old 25th July 2020, 11:34 AM   #1846
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Second Costco trip of the epidemic, and was happy to see that it was a lot like going to Costco. Stock of everything was available, and prices seemed pretty normal. The store wasn't as crowded as in pre-pandemic days, and of course everyone was wearing masks. (We live in Michigan, on the sane side of the state.)

There was still a 1 pack limit on toilet paper and paper towels, but who would ever buy two of those packs anyway? There were large quantities of both products for sale.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 05:34 PM   #1847
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

We did Costco last week. The biggest change I noticed was that they had considerably increased the queuing space in front of the registers, which was a very good thing regardless of the virus.
Old 25th July 2020, 06:52 PM   #1848
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
It seems to be a visceral objection to any acknowledgement that there's a border there at all. But border restrictions are part of dealing with an epidemic and every state bigger than a tennis court that's dealing with this effectively has closed internal borders. The issues of cross-border working and so on are common to all and indeed much less of an issue with the short Scottish border which runs along the top of a range of hills for most of its length.

To my mind it's as much to keep idiots living in Scotland from going to the pub in Carlisle and bringing the virus back as it is to stop tourists from virus hot-spots seeding it across the vulnerable communities in the north. We need to work something out. How is Australia doing it? What about Canada, where Newfoundland is restricting entry? How did Germany manage it when one of the Lander closed its borders to people who didn't live there?
The South Australia/Victoria border is staffed by volunteers from the Police* and Army. We're turning a lot of Victorians back, and some extra specials have been arrested for sneaking through, or forcing their way past.

My personal favourite so far is the oxygen thief** that was wanted on warrant in Victoria and South Australia.

So far working fairly well.

* It's a paid duty, with some extra perks, but officers are volunteering for that duty.

** A person who makes no contribution, or a negative contribution to the world.
Old 25th July 2020, 11:29 PM   #1849
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
We did Costco last week. The biggest change I noticed was that they had considerably increased the queuing space in front of the registers, which was a very good thing regardless of the virus.
Costco now do home delivery in the UK. This is a game-changer. The delivery fee is less than the fuel cost of going to our nearest store and we won't have the opportunity to impulse buy a dozen of something.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 01:42 AM   #1850
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Costco now do home delivery in the UK. This is a game-changer. The delivery fee is less than the fuel cost of going to our nearest store and we won't have the opportunity to impulse buy a dozen of something.
Sadly I was too optimistic . Only a tiny subset of the products we would get from Costco are available online so we'd have to go in person.

Went to Tesco this morning at 0615. Access control and the one way system are gone but unlike Mrs Don's last experience, the shop was pretty empty the (mostly old) shoppers were observing social distancing and even though it's not a requirement yet in Wales, almost everyone was wearing a mask - including me.

There was plenty of ginger beer but they've changed the packaging from a brown to a clear plastic bottle. I hope this doesn't mean that they've changed the product because IMO it used to be the same as Waitrose's (also available in a brown bottle) and I fear that it's now the same as Sainsbury's and ASDA's which are in a clear bottle and are horrible.

The only thing outstanding on my shopping list is Cholula hot sauce, but that may simply be unavailable here.
Old 30th July 2020, 06:25 AM   #1851
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

I had a stroke of luck. Last week I went to visit my elderly cousins who have been isolating, and was struck by the deterioration in the eyesight of one cousin who has glaucoma. My mother also had glaucoma and I'm considered at risk, although her consultant told me the heritability was unclear and it's by no means certain I'll get it. (We don't know about my cousin's father, my mother's brother, because he died of a heart attack when he was only 49 so didn't live long enough to find out if he was going to get glaucoma. His daughter is unaffected though.)

Anyway I remarked that I was overdue for my annual eye test and I had a couple of other issues as well, increasing short sight and possibly slight dry eye. My cousin urged me to make an appointment, don't neglect your eyes, you need to be tested regularly. So I thought, the waiting list is probably into October by now so maybe I should at least get on it. So yesterday I phoned my optician who quizzed me on what was up, saying that she was only allowed to do urgent or emergency examinations, but that my glaucoma risk and age would allow her to sneak me in under the urgent category and could I come today at 10.30!

So I did that and everything was fine, intraocular pressure low, dry-eye not really an issue, early cataracts a long way from being an issue yet, worsening short-sightedness requiring a change in lens prescription. So I left my varifocals with her to have new lenses fitted and came home. And the fact that I'm sitting here seeing the computer screen perfectly while wearing my single-vision distance lenses rather demonstrates how much I needed these changed.

The optician was saying how inconsistent it was that she could only see patients if she could make a case for it being urgent, but that hairdressing salons were open. I had to admit she had a point. She said I was one of only two patients booked for today, which was why she'd been able to see me so quickly. So I got home and checked today's briefing on the gradual relaxation of coronavirus restrictions. Routine eye tests are allowed from Monday! Whew, just got in in time there.

While I was at the opticians (the health centre in Roslin - that's Rosslyn as in the chapel, about 12 miles away) I went to the big supermarket because it wasn't much further on. They seemed to have pretty much everything in stock so I got some long-dated cheese because the hotel community shop only has one sort of mild mousetrap cheddar, and some burgers, and some fruit juice and this and that.

I just don't know if it's going to go on like this for a while, still wearing my respirator mask under a cloth snood but knowing that viral prevalence in our neck of the woods is so low there's very little chance I'm going to come into contact with it in the supermarket, or whether it will all blow up again and I'll go back to staying away and settling for the mousetrap cheddar. Daily figures are still low but we've got a cluster going on about 60 miles away on the other side of Glasgow. An Amazon warehouse is involved, among other places.

There was a sign at the supermarket door which didn't really indicate that masks were negotiable, and all the customers were wearing them. The checkout clerk wasn't. There was a perspex screen in front of her but if I had her job I'd be sourcing proper respirator masks quite frankly. They're easy enough to wear if all you're doing is swiping groceries into the till.

Last edited by Rolfe; 30th July 2020 at 06:29 AM.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 07:08 AM   #1852
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

...snip....

There was plenty of ginger beer but they've changed the packaging from a brown to a clear plastic bottle. I hope this doesn't mean that they've changed the product because IMO it used to be the same as Waitrose's (also available in a brown bottle) and I fear that it's now the same as Sainsbury's and ASDA's which are in a clear bottle and are horrible.

The only thing outstanding on my shopping list is Cholula hot sauce, but that may simply be unavailable here.
Try the Australian Bundaberg ginger beer, small brown glass bottles with orange labels. Really nice.
Old 30th July 2020, 07:09 AM   #1853
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's weird because here in the states Ginger Beer is the only flavor of Fentiman's we can find, their Curiosity Cola and Cherry Cola is impossible to find.
Old 30th July 2020, 07:11 AM   #1854
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

No Dandelion and Burdock? Mind you I'm not a huge fan of theirs - it's not bad but too much ginger for it to be one of the better ones.
Old 30th July 2020, 07:13 AM   #1855
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Try the Australian Bundaberg ginger beer, small brown glass bottles with orange labels. Really nice.
I've tried it, but don't think it's worth the extra cost over own brand. I'll buy D&G in cans instead.

Their root beer used to be an occasional treat but they've reduced the amount of sugar and ruined it in the process .
Old 30th July 2020, 07:15 AM   #1856
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

No Dandelion and Burdock? Mind you I'm not a huge fan of theirs - it's not bad but too much ginger for it to be one of the better ones.
It's not all that easy to find here in the States as it is, you usually have to go to an import grocer or some other speciality store.

Target is the only big chain name store that routinely carries it, and all they have is Tonic Water and Ginger Beer.

You can sometimes get the Dandelion and Burdock at Total Wine, but it's hit or miss.

Which sucks because Gentleman Jack and Curiosity Cola is the best drink ever.
Old 30th July 2020, 01:37 PM   #1857
catsmate
No longer the 1

One of my cohabitees has a taste for the stuff, we try to pick it up when we can.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 06:55 AM   #1858
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

//Good as place as any for a quick min-rant//

Germaphobes.... stop acting like all your insanity has forever been justified. Yes we're in a pandemic so a focus on general good practices of sanitation have increased focus, for a good reason.

That doesn't mean your entire lifetime of Monk-level "Oh I have OCD tee hee hee" nonsense of wiping down everything obsessively now makes you psychic.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events