ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ahmaud Arbery , Georgia incidents , Gregory McMichael , prosecutorial misconduct , racism charges , racism incidents , shooting incidents , Travis McMichael , William Bryan

Old 29th July 2020, 11:44 AM   #3081
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
In a thread about such an evil occurrence, this is the first time the word evil has actually popped into my mind. Take that as a compliment, I guess.
It conquered the south pole. Talk to Roald Amundsen about it.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 12:23 PM   #3082
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!

Such a good boy. I never watched the whole movie, so I assume that is a picture of Dog and Max walking into the sunset at the end. <No spoilers!>
Have you ever heard Tom Hanks final thoughts on the movie, "Turner and Hooch"?...
Old 29th July 2020, 12:42 PM   #3083
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

In a thread about such an evil occurrence, this is the first time the word evil has actually popped into my mind. Take that as a compliment, I guess.
I'm not sure what's evil about it. Livestock is livestock. Not all cultures keep the same sort of livestock. But they all manage to separate their personal feelings about them when it's time.

You don't think that all those critters the FFA kids raised from birth and tried to win prizes for got to live to a ripe old age, do you?

Yeah, it might be a bit sad. But I think "evil" is something of an overstatement.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:08 AM   #3084
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I'm not sure what's evil about it. Livestock is livestock. Not all cultures keep the same sort of livestock. But they all manage to separate their personal feelings about them when it's time.

You don't think that all those critters the FFA kids raised from birth and tried to win prizes for got to live to a ripe old age, do you?

Yeah, it might be a bit sad. But I think "evil" is something of an overstatement.
I was shooting for overstatement due to the live stock being man's best friend. I even included an emoji!

Besides, Dog is not used for that in the movie. At least, it is not shown to be used for that.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:31 AM   #3085
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I was shooting for overstatement due to the live stock being man's best friend. I even included an emoji!

You're imposing the expectations of your culture on another. Not to mention it's a post-apocalyptic wasteland culture.

Even in less disaster-ridden times dogs are not afforded the same devotion in all cultures that they are within the Western psyche. And even in Western cultures that devotion falls to the wayside when people get hungry enough.

Quote:
Besides, Dog is not used for that in the movie. At least, it is not shown to be used for that.

Exactly. They didn't show them using the toilet, either.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 01:00 PM   #3086
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
They didn't show them using the toilet, either.
They didn't need to. The whole movie was crap from go to woah!

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2020, 01:53 PM   #3087
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
As am I.
Not me! I'm surviving it with my cat.

Well, and a spouse. I suppose he wants to be counted too.
Old 3rd August 2020, 01:54 PM   #3088
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

I don't get it. Why would that be evil? Is it the subtextual reference to the dog rather then the surface level reference to meat on the hoof?

ETA: never mind, I'm caught up now.

Last edited by Emily's Cat; 3rd August 2020 at 01:55 PM.
Emily's Cat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events