ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd July 2020, 10:53 AM   #761
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Cults don't work like that, though.

In 1997 the Heavens Gate cult committed mass suicide.

Except for two who remained "behind" and to this day keep their website and still "believe".

Never underestimate the ability of cults to rationalise the abject failures.
But I didn't think heavens gate was about the end of the world, rather the chance to get out to a better one. Sure lots of end of the world predictions failing doesn't hurt the credibility of some cults, others have been done in by such things. For example most Millerites left following the Great Disappointment. Not all but most.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 03:09 PM   #762
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I wonder if Lori has been quietly sitting in her cell, patiently waiting for the Four Horsemen to come bust her out, then give her a lift to, where ever the 144,000 are all meeting up, and if, at the stroke of midnight, while she's still sitting there in jail on July 23rd, does she start to say to herself, "Hey, maybe that Chad fellow was completely mistaken, and my kids weren't zombies after all?"

Last edited by Mike!; 22nd July 2020 at 03:29 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 03:28 PM   #763
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I wonder if Lori has been quietly sitting in her cell, patiently waiting for the Four Horsemen to come bust her out, then give her a lift to, where ever the 144,000 are all meeting up, and if, at the stroke of midnight,....
Which time zone? I want to set my alarm so I am up to hear the giant 'POK!' of the vacuum left behind.
Old 22nd July 2020, 03:35 PM   #764
Mike!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Which time zone? I want to set my alarm so I am up to hear the giant 'POK!' of the vacuum left behind.
Ain't that just the way it goes? They can give a date months, maybe even years in advance, but they don't ever bother with the time of day, even roughly. Like it'd be too much trouble to say, "The World will end on July 22, 2020, at 3:33 in the afternoon, GMT".
Nope, can't do that, so we're stuck waiting around all stinking day for the Earth to end, because nobody could be bothered with including the time of freaking day in their prediction.

Last edited by Mike!; 22nd July 2020 at 03:36 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 04:11 PM   #765
StillSleepy
Muse

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Ain't that just the way it goes? They can give a date months, maybe even years in advance, but they don't ever bother with the time of day, even roughly. Like it'd be too much trouble to say, "The World will end on July 22, 2020, at 3:33 in the afternoon, GMT".
Nope, can't do that, so we're stuck waiting around all stinking day for the Earth to end, because nobody could be bothered with including the time of freaking day in their prediction.
See, this is especially relevant when you're making predictions in Idaho but are winding up in Hawaii.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 05:20 AM   #766
Mike!

Well,the sun came up this morning on a world very much still in existence.
Poor Chad and Lori, their only hope at getting away with their crime, snatched away by a continuing persistent reality.
Old 23rd July 2020, 06:56 AM   #767
DragonLady
Illuminator

I wonder if Lori is panicking now.

I honestly believe she has some mental health issues, and this might either jolt her back to reality, or knock her completely out of it.

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:21 AM   #768
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post

I honestly believe she has some mental health issues, and this might either jolt her back to reality, or knock her completely out of it.
Yes, there is no doubt in my mind that Lori has a mental health disorder, (or disorders) I believe she has in some way made the date being wrong, acceptable. She has excuses that work for her. I hope she is panicking, but I have my doubts.
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:42 AM   #769
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Lori is just expecting 144,000 Americans left after the antimaskers get done with us

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 01:12 PM   #770
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Lori is just expecting 144,000 Americans left after the antimaskers get done with us
If Lori still believes, she could simply decide that she was not worthy of joining the 144,000, but it is all still true.

Maybe she didn't kill enough "zombies" or whatever.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 03:43 PM   #771
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Not worthy? I thought she said she was appointed the leader? A god?

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 04:52 AM   #772
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Isn't it tomorrow, July 22, the end of the world, according to Lori?

Aww crap! I missed it. I couldn't get to sleep the night before, and ended up sleeping all day.

Did I miss anything good? Were there angels and harps and trumpets and all that stuff?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 04:59 AM   #773
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by StillSleepy View Post
Lori Daybell's bail has been lowered for her misdemeanor charges from $1M to $50K for each charge (totaling $150K) due to the felony desertion charges being dropped. [East Idaho News]

However, her felony evidence charges still carry a bail of $1M. If she is released, she is barred from any contact with Chad Daybell. Lori requested and was granted a jury trial for the misdemeanor charges scheduled for 25-29 January 2021.

So that's what, a total of $1,150,000?

IF, (and that's a pretty big if), they could find a bail bondsman to take it on then all she needs is someone who likes and trusts her enough to spend $115, 000 (assuming the usual 10%) cash and, I expect, some surety equal to the remainder, to buy her out.

At which point, if what we know about her character holds to form, she would scoot out of sight like a scared rabbit. I wonder if she could get to some Hawaii-like tropical country with no extradition agreement with the U.S.?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 05:06 AM   #774
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
Not worthy? I thought she said she was appointed the leader? A god?

I don't see how. From what I've read she would have to be a virgin. She's definitely let that horse out of the barn.

Oh, and probably male. She missed that boat from the get-go.

From the (English Standard Version) Bible.
Revelation 14:3–5:

And they were singing a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and before the elders. No one could learn that song except the 144,000 who had been redeemed from the earth. For it is these who have not defiled themselves with women, for they are virgins. It is these who follow the Lamb wherever he goes. These have been redeemed from mankind as firstfruits for God and the Lamb, and in their mouth no lie was found, for they are blameless.

Old 24th July 2020, 12:44 PM   #775
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
I'm gonna guess she's never defiled herself with a woman, but that part about lies is a definite roadblock.

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2020, 08:58 AM   #776
StillSleepy
Muse

Judge Eddins has ruled that the preliminary hearings can be publicly broadcast by the media. [East Idaho News]

The prosecution had asked for the barring of video cameras from the courtroom since it would affect the ability to select an unbiased jury. Both the media and the defense objected to this, saying that it would likely not fulfill the court's obligation to public trials and transparency due to the restrictions already in place due to Covid-19. The judge ruled that one news outlet would be allowed to have a video feed and one outlet would be able to take photographs.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2020, 09:42 AM   #777
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
I'm gonna guess she's never defiled herself with a woman....
I'm gonna go ahead and guess she has.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 06:21 PM   #778
StillSleepy
Muse

After sealed hearings, Judge Eddins yesterday ruled that Mark Means may continue as Lori's attorney after an earlier hearing highlighted a potential conflict of interest due to Mr. Means serving as attorney to both Chad and Lori between April and the discovery of the children's bodies in June.

Old 29th July 2020, 11:24 PM   #779
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Since the hearings were sealed, we don't get to see what convinced the judge. I suppose the judge may have wanted to see the substance of Lori's defense to be assured that it didn't rely on implicating Chad, because even though I'm not a lawyer I don't see how such a defense could possibly not be a conflict of interest.

It's also possible the judge just made a mistake here that will free Lori by technicality on appeal.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:43 AM   #780
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Tomorrow Chad will be in court to face charges. I have read that it will be televised, but I don't know the details. Anyone know?
Old 2nd August 2020, 09:06 AM   #781
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Tomorrow Chad will be in court to face charges. I have read that it will be televised, but I don't know the details. Anyone know?
Live feed here.

Starts 9 am local.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:47 AM   #782
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Live feed here.

Starts 9 am local.
Thanks!
Old 2nd August 2020, 01:45 PM   #783
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks!
NP, but as is usual in proceedings, it will likely be dull procedural crap at first. I wouldn't be getting my panties in a wad.

Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM   #784
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Listening to the phone call with Lori and Chad that Melanie Gibb taped, one can see how religion is a force for good in the world.

"Satan is in you."

"No, Satan is in you!"

They're arguing about whackjob dogma knowing all along that the kids are dead. Absolute evil ******* nutjob numbnuts.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

LISTEN: Lori Vallow & Chad Daybell secret phone call conversation recorded by Melanie Gibb

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020

Last edited by Resume; Yesterday at 05:05 PM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM   #785
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Listening to the phone call with Lori and Chad that Melanie Gibb taped, one can see how religion is a force for good in the world.

"Satan is in you."

"No, Satan is in you!"

They're arguing about whackjob dogma knowing all along that the kids are dead. Absolute evil ******* nutjob numbnuts.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

LISTEN: Lori Vallow & Chad Daybell secret phone call conversation recorded by Melanie Gibb

I wonder if they contemplated the possibility that they were both right?

Nah.

I don't really wonder that.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events