ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags celebrity incidents , Coronavirus

Old 2nd April 2020, 04:04 PM   #41
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
He's one of those that I thought "he was still alive?"
not any more
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 04:05 PM   #42
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Ellis Louis Marsalis Jr. (November 14, 1934 – April 1, 2020)

Main articles are behind paywall but there are tweets and videos up.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 05:06 PM   #43
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Michael Jackson totally ripped off Manu Dibango!

Some of the riffs for "Wanna Be Starting Something" are direct lifts from "Soul Makossa".
Mama-say mama-sah ma-ma-coo-sah.
Mama-say mama-sah ma-ma-coo-sah.
Old 2nd April 2020, 05:43 PM   #44
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
not any more
He's with his comedy career now.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 11:53 AM   #45
Armitage72
Illuminator

Retired voice actress Julie Bennett has died of COVID-19 at the age of 88.

Quote:
Bennett's most notable role was as voice of Cindy Bear, whom she played in The Yogi Bear Show, Hey There, It's Yogi Bear, Yogi's Gang, Yogi's Treasure Hunt, Yogi and the Invasion of the Space Bears and The New Yogi Bear Show.
Other credits include voicing Lois Lane for Filmation's The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure, as well as work on The Bullwinkle Show, The Famous Adventures of Mr. Magoo, The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour, The Real Ghostbusters, The Huckleberry Hound Show, The Bugs Bunny Show, Quick Draw McGraw, Cattanooga Cats, The Banana Splits Adventure Hour, Scooby's Laff-A-Lympics, Fred Flintsone and Friends, The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show, Garfield and Friends and much more.
Bennett's final roles were as the voice of Aunt May in Spider-Man: The Animated Series in 1997 and an uncredited role as an unnamed woman in the 2000 Spider-Man video game.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 05:59 PM   #46
angrysoba
Philosophile

Marianne Faithful has been hospitalized with Covid-19:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...e_iOSApp_Other
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 06:17 PM   #47
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
We'll be here for the next twelve weeks folks. Don't forget to tip your waitress.
I tipped mine and she fell over!

(Probably should have asked her permission or something)
Old 4th April 2020, 07:38 PM   #48
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Singer/performer Pink, got it and recovered. Her three year old son was positive, too.

She kicked out a cool $1Mil to C19 aid, half of which goes to Temple University Emergency fund in Philly (where her mom worked) and the other half to The City of Angels Emergency COVID fund.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...19/ar-BB12a7bM

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 05:37 AM   #49
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Lord Bath has died of it.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 10:17 AM   #50
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

New Orleans Saints place kicker Tom Dempsey. Not confirmed as death by Coronavirus but he had tested positive.

https://www.wjhg.com/content/news/Hi...569390151.html

Last edited by Athyrio; 5th April 2020 at 10:20 AM.
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 11:33 AM   #51
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

They did an advert that was current on LBC so I knew he was alive. But unfortunately "was" is correct.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52136768

Sounds like Covid hurried the inevitable.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 09:36 PM   #52
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
New Orleans Saints place kicker Tom Dempsey. Not confirmed as death by Coronavirus but he had tested positive.
I was talking about Dempsey with my wife and telling her about the "Dempsey rule". I went to Wikipedia and saw that he died on 4 April 2020. WTF!?

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 04:39 AM   #53
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Christopher Cross

"I’m not in the habit of discussing medical issues on social media, but I do so in the hope this will help other people to understand how serious and how contagious this illness is,” he wrote. “Although I am fortunate enough to be cared for at home, this is possibly the worst illness I’ve ever had.”
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 05:17 AM   #54
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Boris Johnson
Old 6th April 2020, 06:25 AM   #55
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

Tender is the Night

Singer/songwriter Jackson Browne (New York Post and Rolling Stone have articles). Let us hope that he is not running on empty.
Old 7th April 2020, 07:16 PM   #56
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

John Prine has died.
Old 7th April 2020, 08:20 PM   #57
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
John Prine has died.
Just heard that from a friend. I was concerned when he went into icu. Lost another great one.
Old 7th April 2020, 08:41 PM   #58
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

****!

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2020, 12:09 AM   #59
Cheetah
Master Poster

Saudi Royal Family

Prince Faisal bin Bandar bin Abdulaziz Al Saud is in intensive care and (at least?) 150 members of the royal family are reported to have been infected.
King Salman and Muhammad bin Salman are hiding on an island in the Red Sea.

COVID-19: Devastated Saudi Royal Family Seeks to End Yemen War

Last edited by Cheetah; 9th April 2020 at 12:13 AM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2020, 05:21 AM   #60
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Tim Brooke-Taylor died of Coronavirus.

The Goodies were a cornerstone of my childhood entertainment.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2020, 05:36 AM   #61
LibraryLady
Emeritus

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I don't have an exhaustive list, but can add:

Tom Hanks (and wife)
Idris Elba
HRH Charles, Prince of Wales.
Boris Johnson, UK PM
Oddly enough, Tom Hanks's wife has a name! It's Rita Wilson, and she's a very fine actor as well. Just thought I'd add that.
Old 12th April 2020, 05:38 AM   #62
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

I go back to ISIRTA, and of course he was still a mainstay of ISIHAC.

Probably the one that's hit me hardest so far.
Old 12th April 2020, 05:55 AM   #63
Elaedith
Graduate Poster

Mine too. The Goodies played repeatedly on TV in Australia through the 70s and 80s.
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2020, 05:57 AM   #64
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

ISIHAC won't be the same
Old 12th April 2020, 05:59 AM   #65
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I was chatting with someone just a week ago commenting that all the Goodies were still alive and well.
Old 12th April 2020, 06:11 AM   #66
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

I was just coming in to say that. I can't find a sincerely crying smilie in the list.
Old 12th April 2020, 06:16 AM   #67
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
I was just coming in to say that. I can't find a sincerely crying smilie in the list.
I grew up watching those guys. Too sad.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2020, 06:24 AM   #68
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I go back to ISIRTA, and of course he was still a mainstay of ISIHAC.

Probably the one that's hit me hardest so far.
Yes, me too, on all points, and I’ve also been listening to a lot of ISIRTA on BBC Radio 4 Extra recently.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2020, 06:29 AM   #69
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I was chatting with someone just a week ago commenting that all the Goodies were still alive and well.
Graham Garden has been unwell for a long time, he doesn't do all the ISIHAC shows now, he misses some out.
Old 12th April 2020, 06:40 AM   #70
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Some nice tributes from friends and fellow comedians in the BBC report:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52262490

Now I'm worrying about Graeme Garden and Barry Cryer.
Old 12th April 2020, 06:43 AM   #71
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The Goodies was one of the earliest imports I got to see when I was in California for a few years. (Many more available TV stations than just the three back home.)

One of the few lines I remember by Tim Brooke-Taylor is "If you want me, I'll be in the spleen!" (Storms off in a huff.)

(They had fallen through the floor and ended up inside a dinosaur carcass.)

Last edited by alfaniner; 12th April 2020 at 06:44 AM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2020, 11:40 AM   #72
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I just heard. I saw them live a few years back, and enjoyed TBT on on the radio too. This genuinely saddens me.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2020, 11:45 AM   #73
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I'm watching "Kung Fu Capers" in tribute.

Old 12th April 2020, 11:45 AM   #74
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

He wrote the famous 'Four Yorkshiremen' sketch as made famous by Monty Python for the 'At last the 1948 Show'. It had Tim Brooke-Taylor, John Cleese, Graham Chapman and Marty Feldman.
He was originally going to be in Monty Python too.
they were all in the 'Footlights' together at Cambridge and John Cleese was his room mate.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

He worked with Marty Feldman writing for his 'Marty' show.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 12th April 2020 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12th April 2020, 01:22 PM   #75
rdaneel
Illuminator

John Horton Conway, Mathematician and creator of the Game of Life died from coronavirus yesterday.

SMBC Tribute
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2020, 01:26 PM   #76
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rdaneel View Post
John Horton Conway, Mathematician and creator of the Game of Life died from coronavirus yesterday.

SMBC Tribute
Damn. But I do like the tribute.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2020, 01:43 PM   #77
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

SMBC Tribute
He apparently disliked the fact that the Game of Life was the first thing people mentioned about him; he would check the index of any maths book he was given to read, and if it mentioned Life he wouldn't read it.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2020, 01:45 PM   #78
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

SMBC Tribute

I remember hours of programming my own version of Life, trying different starting patterns and watching it evolve.
Old 12th April 2020, 03:21 PM   #79
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Here's an interesting interview with him about maths, life and death (Numberphile).

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 12th April 2020, 06:56 PM   #80
applecorped
Banned

I'm sure you'll all be relieved to hear that Harvey Weinstein recovered
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events