ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 30th March 2020, 01:35 PM   #41
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
AHAAHAHA WRONG

Any nonessential worker who can work from home - such as my entire department of 200+ people - is also not having their income totally screwed with. There are more things in heaven and earth, SuburbanTurkey, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
I have to admit, I had entirely forgot about that in the moment. Yes, the fortunate work from homers are doing pretty well, all things considered.
Old 30th March 2020, 01:36 PM   #42
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Here in America many or most places are disallowing evictions and foreclosures until May 31st. But this will have to be extended until further notice to prevent an epic catastrophe.

The rents and mortgages are being deferred until May 31st -...........
With Mortgages here what happens is they put the missed payments on the END of the mortgage ... in effect extending the amortization 2 or 3 months.

Every missed payment will be reported to the credit agencies as missed, and messes up your credit rating, this will result in higher interest on a future renewal.
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 01:41 PM   #43
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Why is that schadenfreude for you? Do you really hate all landlords as a class?
No, I am a landlord myself (3 units in North Vancouver - used to have a rental house in Halifax NS, but sold it when the last kid graduated from Dal).

But firstly as the parent of three, I'm sympathetic to the undersupply of rental units in Vancouver and am angry at those who suppress inventory illegally.

And secondly as an honest landlord, I am furious about my peers who boast about tax and regulatory evasion. and The shadow inventory is generally misrepresenting themselves as principal residences in order to a) avoid taxation as a revenue property and b) operate in stratas that forbid rentals period.

"Oh, this is our daughter's property, she's just off at college this semester."

But suspiciously when short term rental opportunities dry up, boom, they drop on the long term rental market.
Old 30th March 2020, 01:43 PM   #44
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
No, I am a landlord myself (3 units in North Vancouver - used to have a rental house in Halifax NS, but sold it when the last kid graduated from Dal).

But firstly as the parent of three, I'm sympathetic to the undersupply of rental units in Vancouver and am angry at those who suppress inventory illegally.

And secondly as an honest landlord, I am furious about my peers who boast about tax and regulatory evasion. and The shadow inventory is generally misrepresenting themselves as principal residences in order to a) avoid taxation as a revenue property and b) operate in stratas that forbid rentals period.

"Oh, this is our daughter's property, she's just off at college this semester."

But suspiciously when short term rental opportunities dry up, boom, they drop on the long term rental market.
If I remember hiding a rental property, as a principal residence saves the HST Tax as well?
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 01:53 PM   #45
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
If I remember hiding a rental property, as a principal residence saves the HST Tax as well?
Do you mean on the original purchase? Possibly, but that's harder to get around since the bank and CRA are involved. It may depend on the original zoning, actually.

No, I mean more municipal and strata bylaw evasion. The municipality may forbid certain types of short term rental outside of a principal residence so the owners just flat out lies and says they live there and are renting out a room long term, instead of the whole unit daily/weekly.

Same BS for the strata, who probably knows perfectly well what's going on but just can't prove it.
Old 30th March 2020, 01:56 PM   #46
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Do you mean on the original purchase? Possibly, but that's harder to get around since the bank and CRA are involved. It may depend on the original zoning, actually.

No, I mean more municipal and strata bylaw evasion. The municipality may forbid certain types of short term rental outside of a principal residence so the owners just flat out lies and says they live there and are renting out a room long term, instead of the whole unit daily/weekly.

Same BS for the strata, who probably knows perfectly well what's going on but just can't prove it.
Ahhh, of course! ... that's become a fairly big problem in Toronto I read
Old 30th March 2020, 01:57 PM   #47
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I have to admit, I had entirely forgot about that in the moment. Yes, the fortunate work from homers are doing pretty well, all things considered.
To the point where I don't discuss it with my face to face acquaintances.

I work at a telco, work from home. We just lost all our overseas contract labourers, so we're actually dumped with insane overtime and still not keeping up. It's all triaged at this point.

Meanwhile, so many of my acquaintances in food services, arts, hospitality, and even software are getting canned. I'd buy them a round of beer, but we're not going out to pubs anymore.
Old 30th March 2020, 01:59 PM   #48
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
Ahhh, of course! ... that's become a fairly big problem in Toronto I read
GTA and GVRD are probably the worst in Canada for it. Kijiji just exploded last week with all these basically illegal hotel apartments that renters were assured up and down did not exist. It could be 20% of the inventory by some estimates.
Old 30th March 2020, 02:13 PM   #49
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

...snipp

Landlords will do everything they can to maintain income and also get what they are owed. Who wouldn't do that?

..snip.
Me.

And I have already done it, I've sent letters, (well emails) to all the companies I've invoiced and have outstanding amounts owed and said in summary "if cash flow is a problem don't worry about the invoices, when we all get back to some sort of normality we can sort it out then".

I've already mentally written off the invoices, in total about 3 months of contracting. It's not that I can afford to lose the money it's simply recognising the dire straits we are all in. I will probably get some invoices paid, some of people I have done work for I've known for 25 years and I know IF they can they will pay me. But the last thing I want to be doing is causing someone unneeded additional stress.
Old 30th March 2020, 02:24 PM   #50
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Oh, one moment of schadenfreude for me this week was watching five kajillion apartments come up for rental on ebay/kijiji last week.

aka: AirB&B has imploded, all those revenue property owners are flooding the market with shadow inventory they told us did not exist.
Yep, I've enjoyed watching them all hit the market here, driving down rents by massive amounts.

No tears will be shed for the greedy bastard owners.
Old 30th March 2020, 02:26 PM   #51
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Me.

And I have already done it, I've sent letters, (well emails) to all the companies I've invoiced and have outstanding amounts owed and said in summary "if cash flow is a problem don't worry about the invoices, when we all get back to some sort of normality we can sort it out then".

I've already mentally written off the invoices, in total about 3 months of contracting. It's not that I can afford to lose the money it's simply recognising the dire straits we are all in. I will probably get some invoices paid, some of people I have done work for I've known for 25 years and I know IF they can they will pay me. But the last thing I want to be doing is causing someone unneeded additional stress.
Similar.

Specific to my tenants, I saw this coming months ago and reached out to them in advance so we're all on the same page.

Very different situations in all of the properties. One is two sisters from Hong Kong who are finishing their RN practicums at LGH, their dad pays. So that one's pretty safe.

The other two are recently married couples saving up for their own condos, which I get. I think one of them is expecting. I wouldn't evict them COVID19 or otherwise.

The feds here in Canada have announced a program where they'll subsidize rents for households in the lurch, I sent them a link to the online application. It's only $500/mo but every little bit helps.

Here's what really burned my biscuit last week... I have an acquaintance who has a basement suite, and the tenant reach out to him admitting she was living paycheque to paycheque and has had her hours cut back so may not be able to make the full rent April 1st.

My friend is also very cash strapped (works part time, but apparently it's important to send all three of his kids to private school, just bought a boat &c) and this house of cards pivots on that mortgage helper suite in their basement.

So, he says to me with a straight face: "Why wouldn't she have like 6 months rent saved up for an emergency?"

I asked him, "Why didn't you?"
Old 30th March 2020, 02:26 PM   #52
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Me.

Maybe the thing to do would be to offer them some specific concession -- "I am pleased to extend the due date for your current invoice by 90 days without incurring additional fees or interest" -- and then decide down the road what to do if the world is still upside down. Just saying "Don't worry about it" pretty much kisses it off.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 02:30 PM   #53
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

So, he says to me with a straight face: "Why wouldn't she have like 6 months rent saved up for an emergency?"

I asked him, "Why didn't you?"
Don't know what it's like in Canada, but there was a heavily publicized study last year that determined that almost half of all Americans couldn't come up with an extra $400 cash in an emergency. An awful lot of people cut it awful close to the bone.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 02:52 PM   #54
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Don't know what it's like in Canada, but there was a heavily publicized study last year that determined that almost half of all Americans couldn't come up with an extra $400 cash in an emergency. An awful lot of people cut it awful close to the bone.
I'm familiar with that, but I think it's one of those 10% of the brain things that Skeptics discover are not entirely factual.

I did some digging based on the citations provided, and after going into a lot of dead ends, I do think I found the survey in question, and it was more about cash readiness than short term liquidity.

Here's a link to what is most commonly referenced when there's an actual reference:
[Report on the Economic Well-Being of U.S. Households in 2018]

I think page 2, this is the passage that started it all:
Quote:
If faced with an unexpected expense of $400,
61 percent of adults say they would cover it with cash, savings, or a credit card paid off at the next statement—a modest improvement from the prior year. Similar to the prior year, 27 percent would borrow or sell something to pay for the expense, and 12 percent would not be able to cover the expense at all.
So, yeah, 40% literally say they don't have the cash or plastic for full liquidity, which is not great.

That 40% includes people who expect to sell stocks, jewelry, gold ingots, or dip into home equity, though.

It's worth pointing out that this can include some pretty high riding households and not always an indicator of poverty. Like my acquaintance above who owns his house and a boat and sends his kids to private school but is ****** with cashflow and basic emergency fund preparation.

Last edited by blutoski; 30th March 2020 at 03:16 PM. Reason: missed an 'l' in url tag
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 06:11 PM   #55
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I'd be surprised if that weren't the case across the entire world.

Developing nations would be even worse. (adjusted $, obviously)
Old 30th March 2020, 06:14 PM   #56
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

The landlord will sue the evicted tenant for back rents owed in addition to what it costs to bring the lawsuit which is lawyer fees. This happens all the time. A person is evicted and is simultaneously sued for everything they owe including added fees.

This would only be prevented if it becomes illegal for a landlord to do anything at all to get what they are owed.

At least in Indiana, landlords are almost never awarded back rent or attorney's fees in residential evictions. This may be different in other states. Landlords usually will, however, be awarded compensation for any damage to the property over and above normal wear and tear.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 07:25 PM   #57
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Metullus View Post
Hey, I get it. Interestingly, this is a large part of our family business. My in-laws rely on rental income for their livelihood. Roughly half of our tenants will not be paying rent for the foreseeable future. Law or no law, there is no chance that we would evict anyone under the present circumstances. We still, however, are required to pay the mortgages, maintenance, upkeep, insurance, waste collection, and other ongoing costs associated with owning rental properties. That is a lot of money out of pocket with no return. That is cash money we have to come up with.

We do not know what monies, if any, we can recoup when this is all over. We have not discussed it - this is uncharted territory for us. It is entirely possible that if this goes on for 4 months or more we will lose some of the properties. We do not know.

I think that this does, perhaps, qualify as a sacrifice...
We are all in the same boat. My business has been closed since the end of January, but I still have to live. And while we had two months in February and March when we didn't have to pay rent on the business space due to a government program, that's over now so we're going to be back to paying the rent on the space. Meanwhile I've been continuing to pay some, but not all, of our employees (those in most need).

I'm highly doubtful that we'll be able to make a profit any time soon even when we are able to reopen. I've heard that a lot of our competition is already out of business.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 08:02 PM   #58
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Evicting an otherwise good tenant because they lost their income due to an international plague seems like a good way to ensure that every last length of pipe and wire is torn out of the walls on the way out. I'd be pouring concrete down every pipe and toilet in the place.
In my opinion, if a tenant is willing to cause such pointless destruction of the landlord's property (just for being forced to abide by the terms of a rental agreement they initially agreed to), then I suspect that tenant was probably a problem all along.

The whole "perfect tenant pushed to destroying property" sounds an awful lot like the man accused of beating his wife, claiming "She made me do it!"

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 08:14 PM   #59
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

What would even be the point of an eviction I wonder?
The economy is in rapid contraction. Even if a landlord managed to throw out a tenant, who is going to move in? The number of people that can afford to pay rent right now is rapidly dropping.
Depends on the circumstances.

Yes, its likely that a landlord will find it hard to find a paying tenant if he evicts someone. Whether it makes economic sense will depend on things like:

- how much does it cost to have a non-paying tenant living in the apartment vs. letting the apartment sit vacant. (Most of the costs involved would likely be fixed... mortgage, insurance, etc. But there may be other costs that could be affected... utility use (depending on how these are paid), wear and tear on infrastructure, etc.

- After the pandemic passes, how quickly will the non-paying tenant be able to begin payment of rent again (compared to evicting them and getting someone able to start paying rent immediately once the pandemic is over)

Plus, you may have cases where a tenant has been problematic in the past... late payment of rent (even before the pandemic), disturbing the neighbors, etc. and the tenant is just using the moratorium on evictions as an excuse to cause more problems.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 11:06 PM   #60
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

It seems to me that when a tenant agreed to rent an apartment they were implicitly doing so in a particular economic environment.

Generally they also have to give a security deposit + first and last month's rent (at least over here). If a landlord wants to collect rent and a tenant can't afford to pay in this new situation, I think it would be reasonable for both parties to say "okay, we made an agreement under very different circumstances to what exists today". if the landlord wants to return the security deposit + whatever remains of that first/last month's rent and then evict the tenant, who could potentially get a better deal renting from someone else who also evicted their tenant, that might be reasonable to me.

But trying to hold people to a contract that was made under such different circumstances just seems ridiculous to me.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 02:54 AM   #61
Random
Illuminator

These are the Trump Years. Just try to imagine the most pointlessly cruel, stupid, and wasteful system for tenants you can and assume the worst.

-Rent debt will be made non-dischargeable in bankruptcy proceedings

-Failure to pay rent debt will be made a criminal offense punishable by prison time

-Rent debt Prisoners will not be released until they pay their debts and costs of incarceration

-Criminal rent debt will be bundled into CDOs and sold on Wall Street

-Rent Debt CDOs will be given to Senior Citizens in lieu of Social Security payments...

Hey, the sky's spinning molten core of the Earth's the limit in the Trump Era!
Old 31st March 2020, 04:22 AM   #62
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
In my opinion, if a tenant is willing to cause such pointless destruction of the landlord's property (just for being forced to abide by the terms of a rental agreement they initially agreed to), then I suspect that tenant was probably a problem all along.

The whole "perfect tenant pushed to destroying property" sounds an awful lot like the man accused of beating his wife, claiming "She made me do it!"
Making someone homeless during an active plague outbreak is unusually callous. It's not hyperbolic to say that the tenant might die as a result of such an action. Property damage does seem a bit petty now that I think more on it. More likely would be refusals to leave with violent confrontations with anyone that attempts to force the issue.

This seems to be hypothetical though, as the government response so far is to prevent evictions from occurring during the outbreak.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 31st March 2020 at 04:29 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 04:40 AM   #63
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Maybe the thing to do would be to offer them some specific concession -- "I am pleased to extend the due date for your current invoice by 90 days without incurring additional fees or interest" -- and then decide down the road what to do if the world is still upside down. Just saying "Don't worry about it" pretty much kisses it off.
We shall see. Like I said I know some will pay me if they can, but some are small companies, half a dozen people and if not paying me will keep them going during and after the immediate crisis Id rather lose the money. It is just money.
Old 31st March 2020, 05:42 AM   #64
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

We shall see. Like I said I know some will pay me if they can, but some are small companies, half a dozen people and if not paying me will keep them going during and after the immediate crisis Id rather lose the money. It is just money.
Well said.
Isaac Asimov
Old 31st March 2020, 05:48 AM   #65
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The problem is you can only "pay it forward" so long before you reach the point where someone either can't or won't pay it forward anymore.
Old 31st March 2020, 06:34 AM   #66
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Would stop dancing around it and get to a point?
My point is to create conversation about a situation.
Old 31st March 2020, 07:39 AM   #67
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Random View Post
These are the Trump Years. Just try to imagine the most pointlessly cruel, stupid, and wasteful system for tenants you can and assume the worst.

No.

-Rent debt will be made non-dischargeable in bankruptcy proceedings

No. This would require passage by both houses of Congress (in addition to Trump's approval), including overcoming a certain filibuster in the Senate. No member of Congress who does not have an overwhelmingly safe seat would be expected to vote for such an unpopular measure.

-Failure to pay rent debt will be made a criminal offense punishable by prison time

No. Debt collection is a state matter, and imprisonment for debt is expressly prohibited by most state constitutions.

-Rent debt Prisoners will not be released until they pay their debts and costs of incarceration.

No. The Supreme Court has held that states can only imprison people for nonpayment of fines and fees in the case of "willful" failure to pay, and not for inability to pay. (Though some judges do stretch the definition of "willful.") Further, it costs a lot of money to incarcerate people; no state is going to pay to do this, especially with the inevitable loss of revenue that is coming.

-Criminal rent debt will be bundled into CDOs and sold on Wall Street

You do realize that the "C" in CDO stands for "collateralized," don't you?

-Rent Debt CDOs will be given to Senior Citizens in lieu of Social Security payments...

Even if they were, in your fantasy scenario they would be easily convertible to cash.

Hey, the sky's spinning molten core of the Earth's the limit in the Trump Era!

As offensive as Trump is personally, as dangerous and/or counterproductive as some of his policies are, and as much as he might wish he had Vladimir Putin's powers, the US Constitution, and the rule of law, will survive his administration, even if they take a beating in the process.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 12:04 PM   #68
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Thousands of tenants across the US threaten to go on 'rent strike' and say they will not pay landlords during the coronavirus pandemic as millions are left out of work

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
With millions of people suddenly out of work and rent due at the first of the month, some tenants are vowing to go on a rent strike until the coronavirus pandemic subsides.

On Wednesday, $81 billion in commercial and residential rent will come due across the U.S., and nobody is certain how many tenants will be unable, or simply unwilling, to pay.

New York, Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco and St. Louis are among many cities that have temporarily banned evictions, but advocates for the strike are demanding that rent payments be waived, not delayed, for those in need during the crisis.

Without a legal forgiveness of rental payments during the crisis, tenants face the threat of lawsuits or evictions as soon as housing courts reopen, which may happen as soon as mid-June in California and New York.

The residential rent strike idea has taken root across much of North America and as far away as London.

White sheets are being hung in apartment windows to show solidarity with the movement that is gaining steam on Twitter, Instagram and other social media sites.

Meanwhile, major U.S. retail and restaurant chains, including Mattress Firm, Cheesecake Factory and Subway, are telling landlords they will withhold or slash rent payments, claiming 'force majeure,' or unforeseeable events that prevent fulfillment of a contract.

Fliers urging residential tenants to participate in the strike are being posted in several cities, including bus stops in St. Louis, where 27-year-old Kyle Kofron still has his job at an ice cream factory, but his three roommates have suddenly found themselves unemployed.

Their property manager so far hasn't agreed to a payment plan, Kofron said.

'For me personally, with everyone losing their jobs and unable to pay, it's really the only thing we can do,' Kofron said of the strike. 'It's just like we the people have to do something. We just can't stand idly by while the system takes us for a ride.'...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cancelled.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (40.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 31st March 2020, 01:24 PM   #69
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Hmmm. I rent my house from my sister. On the one hand, if she tries to evict me, Mom will yell at her. On the other hand, if I don't pay my rent, Mom will yell at me.

Perhaps what the economy really needs is a cranky old lady to keep everyone in line.
Old 31st March 2020, 02:06 PM   #70
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Hmmm. I rent my house from my sister. On the one hand, if she tries to evict me, Mom will yell at her. On the other hand, if I don't pay my rent, Mom will yell at me.

Perhaps what the economy really needs is a cranky old lady to keep everyone in line.
Can your Mom run for President?
Old 31st March 2020, 02:08 PM   #71
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Can your Mom run for President?
Like Lex Luthor, she'd have to give up too much power if she became a mere president.
Old 31st March 2020, 06:47 PM   #72
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The problem is you can only "pay it forward" so long before you reach the point where someone either can't or won't pay it forward anymore.
Sure, but I'm not seeing the problem. Helping out other people when you can seems like a nice policy, even if some of those other people can't help anyone else.

It'd be nice if they could, but the fact that they can't isn't a reason to stop me from helping them.
Isaac Asimov
Old 31st March 2020, 06:53 PM   #73
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

One of the great powers of modern civilization is that people without a strong social relationship, or even none at all, can do business together, exchange goods and services. I don't need to know Jeff Bezos to shop on Amazon. That wasn't really true of tribal societies.

But sometimes those relationships can help us through difficult situations. If people had closer relationships to their landlords/tenants, tenants might feel a stronger obligation to pay rent and landlords to avoid eviction.

No proposals here, just some thoughts sparked by your post.
Isaac Asimov
Old 31st March 2020, 08:30 PM   #74
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
One of the great powers of modern civilization is that people without a strong social relationship, or even none at all, can do business together, exchange goods and services. I don't need to know Jeff Bezos to shop on Amazon. That wasn't really true of tribal societies.

But sometimes those relationships can help us through difficult situations. If people had closer relationships to their landlords/tenants, tenants might feel a stronger obligation to pay rent and landlords to avoid eviction.

No proposals here, just some thoughts sparked by your post.
I see where you're going: Jeff Bezos should adopt me, and leave me all his money when he dies. Just kidding, I'm not that greedy; I'll accept a mere 80%.
Old 31st March 2020, 11:52 PM   #75
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Warren already dropped out of the race, unfortunately.
Old 1st April 2020, 01:38 AM   #76
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I see where you're going: Jeff Bezos should adopt me, and leave me all his money when he dies. Just kidding, I'm not that greedy; I'll accept a mere 80%.
I don't mind if he leaves it to me even before he dies.
Isaac Asimov
Old 2nd April 2020, 08:43 AM   #77
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Yep, I've enjoyed watching them all hit the market here, driving down rents by massive amounts.

No tears will be shed for the greedy bastard owners.
1. An AirBnB developments yesterday...
AirBnB has [officially asked the government for subsidies, tax waives, and some other concessions to its users]. I literally thought it was an April Fools' joke. [Minister said, 'no'.]

2. Landlord of the year award. A friend of mine asked his landlord to sign off on the federal rent subsidy and was refused. This is the $500/mo relief for renters in Canada who have been laid off or significantly reduced hours due to COVID19. My friend is a teacher. His landlord refused because it's an illegal suite (no safety inspection, fake sprinklers, no license or property tax on it) and he wasn't reporting the $30k/yr income to CRA and has never paid income taxes on it. Landlord is afraid to be noticed in the system. He refused to reduce rent by $500 to compensate. My friend's landlord is a colossal douchenozzle.

Last edited by blutoski; 2nd April 2020 at 08:45 AM.
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 09:08 AM   #78
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

2. Landlord of the year award. A friend of mine asked his landlord to sign off on the federal rent subsidy and was refused. This is the $500/mo relief for renters in Canada who have been laid off or significantly reduced hours due to COVID19. My friend is a teacher. His landlord refused because it's an illegal suite (no safety inspection, fake sprinklers, no license or property tax on it) and he wasn't reporting the $30k/yr income to CRA and has never paid income taxes on it. Landlord is afraid to be noticed in the system. He refused to reduce rent by $500 to compensate. My friend's landlord is a colossal douchenozzle.
Your friend's landlord is an idiot because he just opened himself to being blackmailed.
Old 2nd April 2020, 09:45 AM   #79
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Your friend's landlord is an idiot because he just opened himself to being blackmailed.
Yeah no doubt.

My friend has bigger fish to fry at this point. They're considering moving to a new place now that some of those AirBnBs have come on the market.
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:11 AM   #80
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

1. An AirBnB developments yesterday...
AirBnB has [officially asked the government for subsidies, tax waives, and some other concessions to its users]. I literally thought it was an April Fools' joke. [Minister said, 'no'.]

If your friend reported the landlord, would the authorities take it seriously? And if they did, would your friend be required to move? (And fake sprinklers? You mean sprinklers in the ceiling that aren't connected to plumbing? That sounds actually criminal.)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events