ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 2nd April 2020, 10:26 AM   #81
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
If your friend reported the landlord, would the authorities take it seriously? And if they did, would your friend be required to move?
Illegal suites are taken seriously by the city, and yes one of the consequences is that if the owner can't bring it up to code, it can't be rented out, the tenant would have to vacate. My friend isn't too motivated to report, they're focusing energy on keeping their **** together. (His wife's a medical student, they have two kids)

I think the owner is facing bigger problems with CRA. If he has never reported income, and he's been doing it for a couple of decades, it could be half a million untaxed income at this point.

On the other hand, he probably hasn't been expensing, so the taxable net profit's likely lower, but I never understand what people are thinking when they do this.

(And fake sprinklers? You mean sprinklers in the ceiling that aren't connected to plumbing? That sounds actually criminal.)
It's certainly fraud, but not sure if it's explicitly criminal. Basically passing off an unlicensed suite as if it's fully compliant, the victim is the tenant in this situation, as they're hypothetically paying more rent than they normally would.

There aren't even sprinklers, just those disc-shaped plastic covers in an empty hole. My friend never prised them off until a few days ago when the owner mentioned it wasn't a legal suite. Basically, in Vancouver, a registered rentable suite in a house needs to have sprinkler fire suppression, plus a few other safety features.
Old 2nd April 2020, 11:12 AM   #82
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
1. An AirBnB developments yesterday...
AirBnB has [officially asked the government for subsidies, tax waives, and some other concessions to its users]. I literally thought it was an April Fools' joke. [Minister said, 'no'.]

2. Landlord of the year award. A friend of mine asked his landlord to sign off on the federal rent subsidy and was refused. This is the $500/mo relief for renters in Canada who have been laid off or significantly reduced hours due to COVID19. My friend is a teacher. His landlord refused because it's an illegal suite (no safety inspection, fake sprinklers, no license or property tax on it) and he wasn't reporting the $30k/yr income to CRA and has never paid income taxes on it. Landlord is afraid to be noticed in the system. He refused to reduce rent by $500 to compensate. My friend's landlord is a colossal douchenozzle.

I thought AirNb was just individuals letting out a room or their entire property when they were on their own holidays. So I can see someone perhaps losing 4 weeks of a rental in a year but then they won’t be going on holiday themselves so they’d save their money. Not seeing what great hardship these people are going to suffer...
Old 2nd April 2020, 12:37 PM   #83
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

My daughter moved out of home into a house with friends one week before the NZ lockdown began.

Her landlord called them yesterday and told them he was waiving rent for two weeks immediately.

Not all landlords are dicks.
Old 2nd April 2020, 12:41 PM   #84
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I thought AirNb was just individuals letting out a room or their entire property when they were on their own holidays. So I can see someone perhaps losing 4 weeks of a rental in a year but then they won’t be going on holiday themselves so they’d save their money.
That was the original idea, but a lot of owners of investment properties realised there's more money in short-term rentals in desirable areas and have them rented full-time on AirBNB.

Just locally, it's known that conversion of tenanted properties in Auckland, Queenstown, Wellington and Tauranga have led to rental shortages, price hikes and generally bad karma in residential tenancies.

Not seeing what great hardship these people are going to suffer...
Now, that's an easy one.

The hardship is in not being able to be a greedy scumbag for a while.

That really hurts.
Old 2nd April 2020, 12:43 PM   #85
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I thought AirNb was just individuals letting out a room or their entire property when they were on their own holidays. So I can see someone perhaps losing 4 weeks of a rental in a year but then they won’t be going on holiday themselves so they’d save their money. Not seeing what great hardship these people are going to suffer...
Many people have built up a business of buying apartments and houses and then renting them on AirBnB or other short term rental services. This has had a very negative impact on the long term rental market in some cities.

Renting out a house in a college town for game day weekends could bring in almost as much money as a 12 month lease, for example. Add in a few other weekends where the price is a bit more reasonable and the owner could easily make more with less risk of a long term bad tenant.

This really hit home when our kid moved to a BIG FOOTBALL college for grad school and we were making plans to visit. Home game day weekends were five to ten times more expensive than other normal weekends, even away game day weekends were three to five times normal.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 02:00 PM   #86
Baylor
Philosopher

They invest money in property, subrent property.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 02:30 PM   #87
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I think the owner is facing bigger problems with CRA. If he has never reported income, and he's been doing it for a couple of decades, it could be half a million untaxed income at this point.
Does Canada have whistleblower laws? In the U.S., somebody who turns in a tax cheat can get a percentage of whatever the IRS collects.
https://www.irs.gov/compliance/whist...nformant-award
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 03:09 PM   #88
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Does Canada have whistleblower laws? In the U.S., somebody who turns in a tax cheat can get a percentage of whatever the IRS collects.
But it would probably be a fraction of the value of the living there rent free plus spending money they could blackmail the landlord out of. "Since this clearly isn't a legal rent it would be wrong for us to pay you. We're your guests! And naturally you want to ensure we have a nice stay by providing us with complimentary goods and services. Like that new hot tub you're going to install, from which we can watch that new large television you're buying us." Presumably they'd be more polite about it, being Canadian.
Old 2nd April 2020, 03:24 PM   #89
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.irs.gov/compliance/whist...nformant-award
The answer is not really, no.

YES, they CRA has a hotline to submit leads.

but

NO, the submitter does not get any consideration related to amounts collected.

(ref: [Report a lead on suspected tax cheating in Canada])
Old 2nd April 2020, 03:26 PM   #90
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
But it would probably be a fraction of the value of the living there rent free plus spending money they could blackmail the landlord out of. "Since this clearly isn't a legal rent it would be wrong for us to pay you. We're your guests! And naturally you want to ensure we have a nice stay by providing us with complimentary goods and services. Like that new hot tub you're going to install, from which we can watch that new large television you're buying us." Presumably they'd be more polite about it, being Canadian.
At this point they just want out. They've given their 1mo notice. Worst case scenario they can stay in my basement, which is a legal suite that we've never used. I'm happy to sign the subsidy agreement, we'll know more in a couple of weeks depending on how their apartment hunting goes.
Old 2nd April 2020, 04:14 PM   #91
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I'd be very hesitant to engage in blackmail. That really is an actual (and serious) crime. I might ask for reduced rent based on the market price of legal units, but anything more would be really risky.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 05:18 PM   #92
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I'd be very hesitant to engage in blackmail. That really is an actual (and serious) crime.
Also this scum landlord might have a friend who has a friend who has a baseball bat. There are no rules when blackmail comes to town.
Old 2nd April 2020, 05:40 PM   #93
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Also this scum landlord might have a friend who has a friend who has a baseball bat. There are no rules when blackmail comes to town.
Well, obviously. It's always struck me as obvious common sense to murder anyone who tries blackmailing you over something you can't shrug off. If it's a serious enough matter that you have to comply, then they'll never stop biting. Best to nip it in the bud immediately.
Old 2nd April 2020, 06:08 PM   #94
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Well, obviously. It's always struck me as obvious common sense to murder anyone who tries blackmailing you over something you can't shrug off. If it's a serious enough matter that you have to comply, then they'll never stop biting. Best to nip it in the bud immediately.
Ooh. I wasn't thinking of murder. Just hitting a couple of foul balls.
Old 4th April 2020, 03:00 PM   #95
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

This landlord aiming for a Good Bastards Club membership won't have any problems: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ybody-n1176736
Old 5th April 2020, 07:11 PM   #96
webfusion
Philosopher

Whatever happened to the 7thAmendment to the US Constitution? Apparently it's been suspended?
(as have all the other 9 in the Bill of Rights, with the exception of the 3rdAmendment)

Just noting.
webfusion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 07:36 PM   #97
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by webfusion View Post
Whatever happened to the 7thAmendment to the US Constitution? Apparently it's been suspended?
(as have all the other 9 in the Bill of Rights, with the exception of the 3rdAmendment)

Just noting.

What do you think is the relevance here? A tenant either paid his rent or didn't. There isn't a complicated question of law. And the Seventh Amendment doesn't necessarily apply to states or localities.
Quote:
Unlike most of the provisions of the Bill of Rights, the Seventh Amendment has never been applied to the states. The Supreme Court stated in Walker v. Sauvinet (1875), Minneapolis & St. Louis Railroad v. Bombolis (1916) and Hardware Dealers' Mut. Fire Ins. Co. of Wisconsin v. Glidden Co. (1931) that states were not required to provide jury trials in civil cases.[17] Nonetheless, most states voluntarily guarantee the right to a civil jury trial,[18] and they must do so in certain state court cases that are decided under federal law.[19]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sevent...s_Constitution
Old 5th April 2020, 08:27 PM   #98
webfusion
Philosopher

If the courts are closed, across the board, then my RIGHT to sue is suspended.
Since I need my $20, how can the legal process to obtain it be revoked completely?
It was difficult enough anyway, but now it's been made impossible.
webfusion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 02:53 AM   #99
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
This landlord aiming for a Good Bastards Club membership won't have any problems: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ybody-n1176736

Good on him and the others.
Old 8th April 2020, 09:56 AM   #100
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Experts are predicting massive evictions as soon as landlords can do it.

Quote:
Fortunately, Congress, states, municipalities and the Department of Housing and Urban Development all have stepped up to issue temporary bans on eviction. That’s good news, but there are significant limits to many of these bans — and even the best of them are temporary. In many places, for instance, landlords are still filing eviction papers, even when there is a freeze on ejecting people from their homes — and not every state has imposed such a freeze. Without a stronger state and federal response, the United States appears headed toward an unprecedented housing crisis.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...-homelessness/
Old 8th April 2020, 10:50 AM   #101
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by webfusion View Post
If the courts are closed, across the board, then my RIGHT to sue is suspended.
Since I need my $20, how can the legal process to obtain it be revoked completely?
It was difficult enough anyway, but now it's been made impossible.
Yes, your rights are being temporarily abridged during a state of emergency.

That's why declared states of emergency exist, to give temporary powers to government that otherwise would be unlawful.

The ability of landlords to seek redress through the courts has been postponed, just like the ability for businesses to operate, people to assemble, churches to operate, and so on.

Again, landlords are not immune to the consequences of the pandemic. They take their lumps just like the rest of us.
Old 8th April 2020, 10:58 AM   #102
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Won't that just drive rent down across the board as all these properties suddenly become available?
Old 8th April 2020, 11:04 AM   #103
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
Many of these people will receive unemployment benefits, which will help the situation. I also expect there will be additional relief, both in the form of financial assistance and in the form of laws prohibiting evictions, from the federal government, and possibly some state governments, too. And I strongly suspect that, one way or another, banks and landlords will end up having to take a haircut.
Impossible. Hair salons are closed.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 11:21 AM   #104
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I'm not so sure that's going to happen. I think that kind of expert doesn't understand the macro-economic picture and is looking through tunnel vision at housing as a stand alone industry, which it absolutely is not.

If landlords evict tenants, who will replace them?

When you have 10-15% unemployment - and I'd put that as a minimum anywhere - the amount of people wanting to move into new accommodation will be very low, there will be massive downwards pressure on rents, and turfing people out will just about guarantee rent lost during the shutdown will be lost forever. AirBNB properties will all be hitting the market, creating an even bigger glut than would be normally the case after a crisis, because tourism isn't coming back anytime soon.

There will be a few landlords who look to evict, but once they realise they're cutting their own throats by doing so, they'll back-track and try to work with what they have. Even if they write off rent, they'll still have an income.
Old 8th April 2020, 12:57 PM   #105
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not so sure that's going to happen. I think that kind of expert doesn't understand the macro-economic picture and is looking through tunnel vision at housing as a stand alone industry, which it absolutely is not.

When you have 10-15% unemployment - and I'd put that as a minimum anywhere - the amount of people wanting to move into new accommodation will be very low, there will be massive downwards pressure on rents, and turfing people out will just about guarantee rent lost during the shutdown will be lost forever. AirBNB properties will all be hitting the market, creating an even bigger glut than would be normally the case after a crisis, because tourism isn't coming back anytime soon.

There will be a few landlords who look to evict, but once they realise they're cutting their own throats by doing so, they'll back-track and try to work with what they have. Even if they write off rent, they'll still have an income.
I do anticipate a 'bump' though:
:: 1 :: backlog
There will be a backlog of regular evictions that have stacked up over these 'pause' months. not so much an increase for the year total, but a blob all at once once the prohibitions are lifted and courts get back to work

:: 2:: AirBnB shenanigans
I anticipate a small real increase based on AirBnBs being brought back online. The current blast being repurposed to long term rentals is an emergency hail mary, not a business model pivot... AirBnB hosts do *not* want to be landlords. (I make this point also in reference to a poster above who interpreted my satisfaction in AirBnB hosts getting clutched with hating landlords... AirBnB hosts *insist* they are *not* landlords, so let's give them that)

They don't want to run hotels or actual BnBs either. Basically, they want that third way that has no regulatory obligations. Getting long term tenants is, well, work, and responsibilities. And for less money. Bleh. So, when hospitality recovers, they will be taking advantage of legal loopholes in the rental legislation and dumping their 'long term' tenants onto the street as fast as possible.

Each region has their own tricks, but here in Vancouver, the loopholes in the rental act that I've seen abused are:
* 'significant repairs' (aka "renoviction")
* 'medical crisis with immediate family member' (I was once evicted by a landlord whose son was moving in, and he had just caught the clap, so we were out 40 days into a 12 month lease)
* 'new owner wants to make it principal residence' (I was evicted twice with this one - they move their teenager in for a month, then put it back on the rental market)
* 'fire inspection failure' (I was evicted once when the LL stacked boxes of fireworks in the mechanical room, booked a fire inspection, failed the inspection, told us all to take a hike)

Last edited by blutoski; 8th April 2020 at 12:59 PM.
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 04:04 PM   #106
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Each region has their own tricks, but here in Vancouver, the loopholes in the rental act that I've seen abused are:
* 'significant repairs' (aka "renoviction")
* 'medical crisis with immediate family member' (I was once evicted by a landlord whose son was moving in, and he had just caught the clap, so we were out 40 days into a 12 month lease)
* 'new owner wants to make it principal residence' (I was evicted twice with this one - they move their teenager in for a month, then put it back on the rental market)
* 'fire inspection failure' (I was evicted once when the LL stacked boxes of fireworks in the mechanical room, booked a fire inspection, failed the inspection, told us all to take a hike)

"Renoviction." New word to me, but clever and descriptive. That's what D. Trump did in NYC when he converted rent-controlled apartments to condos. It sounds like those other cases might have been in small buildings, maybe even subdivided houses. That's an argument for renting in established developments operated by professional management companies. They have their own problems but they're not going to kick you out to make room for a relative.
Old 9th April 2020, 11:52 AM   #107
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Evicting their tenants would be short-sighted and potentially self-sabotaging, but I can still see it happening.

Eviction is really their only tool against non-payment of rent. Some might have the good sense to see the bigger picture and work something out or even just eat the loss, but who can say how many will have that foresight.

It could turn out to be the case that most of the people looking for these freshly empty apartments are people who were themselves recently evicted.
Old 9th April 2020, 01:25 PM   #108
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

"Renoviction." New word to me, but clever and descriptive. That's what D. Trump did in NYC when he converted rent-controlled apartments to condos. It sounds like those other cases might have been in small buildings, maybe even subdivided houses. That's an argument for renting in established developments operated by professional management companies. They have their own problems but they're not going to kick you out to make room for a relative.
When I bought my first revenue property back in the early 90s, I joined a local organization of other landlords with an eye to learning the business.

There really is a range of quality, and I think it's like any vertical. You have restaurants that are constantly poisoning their customers to save a few nickels, and you have these high end chains that excel at customer service, and everything in between.

But being on their mailing list, then email list, and now they have a website with a forum... the conversations seem to boil down to four types:
* how to find properties and financing that make the numbers work
* licensing, regulations, inspections, qualification, taxes, insurance, &c
* property managers and maintenance contractors - who's reliable and affordable?
* loopholes so we can get away with something colossally douchy
Old 9th April 2020, 02:23 PM   #109
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

:: 2:: AirBnB shenanigans
I anticipate a small real increase based on AirBnBs being brought back online. The current blast being repurposed to long term rentals is an emergency hail mary, not a business model pivot... AirBnB hosts do *not* want to be landlords. (I make this point also in reference to a poster above who interpreted my satisfaction in AirBnB hosts getting clutched with hating landlords... AirBnB hosts *insist* they are *not* landlords, so let's give them that)

They don't want to run hotels or actual BnBs either. Basically, they want that third way that has no regulatory obligations. Getting long term tenants is, well, work, and responsibilities. And for less money. Bleh. So, when hospitality recovers, they will be taking advantage of legal loopholes in the rental legislation and dumping their 'long term' tenants onto the street as fast ..lol.linspection, failed the inspection, told us all to take a hike)

I’m wondering whether we won’t see new regulations imposed on AirBnB style renting.

Even when lockdowns are over I think governments will need to keep a tight grip on tourism, especially international tourism (to prevent reinfections from other countries) so I can see light touch regulation being replaced.
Old 9th April 2020, 02:40 PM   #110
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

I’m wondering whether we won’t see new regulations imposed on AirBnB style renting.

Even when lockdowns are over I think governments will need to keep a tight grip on tourism, especially international tourism (to prevent reinfections from other countries) so I can see light touch regulation being replaced.
Most of these units are in violation of the regulations anyway, so I don't anticipate any changes. Most are not supposed to be operating, at several levels. Strata, municipal bylaw, sometimes provincial.

I want to put in that qualifier: "most" meaning not all, of course. Just pretty much every one I've ever come across. As mentioned, I'm on a landlord list, and there's a lot of AirBnB people there even though they insist up and down that they're not actually landlords. Which I agree is true. The point is that they pretty openly discuss what are clear strata and municipal bylaw violations. In their defense, it's mostly because they are new to this and originally didn't know. Now they're stuck in a grifty business model to make ends meet. The second exposure I have is that I'm on three stratas a the moment, not including attending all the strata meetings at my parents' condo. We get updates from the attorney general about the province's action plan. They're pretty frustrated.

Here's the enforcement challenge: generally AirBnBs operate in obscurity. AirBnB doesn't require them to advertise their specific addresses, it's something that's given to the visitor during the transaction. So to investigate your building, you'd have to view tens of thousands of profiles to narrow it down to the ones that have photos that look like it might be here... then work the short list as a fake customer, you'd have to disguise your identity and have a budget to perform whatever minimum steps were required to secure the address. A nonrefundable deposit maybe.

Last edited by blutoski; 9th April 2020 at 02:43 PM.
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2020, 04:16 PM   #111
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

That's the sort of thing that I would hope be changed, so addresses have to be public.
Old 9th April 2020, 08:11 PM   #112
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Won't that just drive rent down across the board as all these properties suddenly become available?
You are thinking logically. There are plenty of landlords who would rather have an empty building than rent it for less than they think they should get for it.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2020, 05:13 AM   #113
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

That's the sort of thing that I would hope be changed, so addresses have to be public.
Housing regulations are largely local, and AirBnBs etc. often skirt the existing laws anyway. It's hard to imagine who could have any authority to regulate the contents of an international web site.

Last edited by Bob001; 10th April 2020 at 05:26 AM. Reason: anywy
Old 10th April 2020, 05:26 AM   #114
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Speaking of AirBnB, investors want to fire the CEO because he ordered refunds to people who cancelled their bookings due to covid. That's the kind of thinking behind this operation.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/co...ns/ar-BB12p5T7
Old 10th April 2020, 12:27 PM   #115
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Housing regulations are largely local, and AirBnBs etc. often skirt the existing laws anyway. It's hard to imagine who could have any authority to regulate the contents of an international web site.

You don’t you regulate in your country.
Old 10th April 2020, 01:04 PM   #116
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

You knew this was coming: https://www.9news.com.au/world/coron...6-ea3826142323
Old 10th April 2020, 01:06 PM   #117
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

You don’t you regulate in your country.
I'll bite. Does the UK have national regulations about, say, renting basement flats in Manchester?
Old 10th April 2020, 05:02 PM   #118
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

That won't work, because then a significant number of potential customers would just contact the landlords directly and offer to cut the company out for a discount of half of their fee on the rental. Even if a law were passed requiring that addresses be disclosed only to local housing authorities (assuming it survived a court challenge) many of these dodgy "landlords" would simply opt out rather than risk having their operations exposed. In either case, Airbnb would go out of business. Which might not necessarily be a bad thing.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2020, 06:04 AM   #119
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

My wife and I own (and live in) a two-family house. About fifteen months ago our tenant announced she was moving. This was a woman my wife knew and there was no lease. Without telling us she moved her twenty-something daughter in. Her daughter was already occupying the apartment by the time we were notified. The daughter could be described as 'a chick with attitude,' and she works in retail. My wife and I had a foreboding she wasn't going to keep up with the rent and she didn't. She was making partial payments, less than one-third what she owed, with a take-it-or-leave-it attitude. Finally we decided she'd have to leave. We depend on the rental income, with heating, utilities and property tax, the numbers don't work if we don't have a paying tenant.

Long story short: New York eviction laws favor the tenant. She refused to cooperate and it took us eight months to get her out. During that time period she stopped paying rent altogether. Eight months is, so we discovered, about average for an eviction, at least around here. The judge finally ordered the eviction to proceed -- he told her she'd had "more than enough time to make other arrangements" -- and she moved out at the end of February, just before evictions were frozen.

The housing court where the eviction case was proceeding is now closed due to the virus. If our tenant had managed to delay this one more 'cycle' she'd still be with us. She had already occupied her part of the two-family house for almost ten months without paying a penny.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2020, 06:24 AM   #120
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Covid-19 Evictions and Foreclosures

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
That won't work, because then a significant number of potential customers would just contact the landlords directly and offer to cut the company out for a discount of half of their fee on the rental. Even if a law were passed requiring that addresses be disclosed only to local housing authorities (assuming it survived a court challenge) many of these dodgy "landlords" would simply opt out rather than risk having their operations exposed. In either case, Airbnb would go out of business. Which might not necessarily be a bad thing.

If AirBnB can’t survive in a regulated market then it shouldn’t do.

AirBnB (and similar) started with a great idea, let’s help people rent their residential property like a hotel for a few weeks a year. Something people have been doing for a long time, the platforms just made this much easier. Unfortunately what has happened is that many people are running these properties as businesses and using these platforms to get away without following the regulations and tax laws that should apply to holiday homes, hotels, BnB and so on. Close the loopholes.

Last edited by Darat; 11th April 2020 at 06:40 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events