ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ahmaud Arbery , Georgia incidents , Gregory McMichael , prosecutorial misconduct , racism charges , racism incidents , shooting incidents , Travis McMichael , William Bryan

Reply
Old 7th May 2020, 09:04 AM   #201
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 31,006
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
It could change who was charged. If the man in the pickup truck is pointing a gun at the jogger, he is committing a crime. If not, then he is merely a witness to a crime.
He was clearly acting in concert with the shooter. They clearly combined in an unlawful assault, in that he repeatedly drove the pickup truck to a position where they could make a credible and immediate threat to life. The outcome of that assault was the death of their victim. I can see no reasonable construction of events in which the driver is not guilty of a crime, and since the predictable result of that crime was the death of the victim, I can see no reasonable way in which he was not guilty of homicide.

Dave
__________________
Inspiring discussion of Sharknado is not a good sign for the audience expectations of your new high-concept SF movie sequel.

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:04 AM   #202
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,160
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
You seriously think the tactical move is to rush them? Virtually guaranteed death.
I don't think we need to run a critique on a dead guy's fighting and evasion style in a thread about his murder and I simply cannot for the life of me come up with a non-disgusting reason you want to.
__________________
- I don't know how to convince you that facts exist
- I don't know how to convince you that you should care about other people
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:08 AM   #203
Joe Random
Master Poster
 
Joe Random's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,514
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Let's have some fun here..

Lets assume that the person seen on the camera was indeed Arbery. Is there anything illegal about being on a building site that isn't yours?

Let's check Georgia Law.....



So... There is no reports of damage being done to the site, so that rules out (a) and (e).

(b) (2) he didn't have a vehicle (3) there is no evidence that the rightful owner told him to leave.

So that leaves (b) (1), and there is no evidence that he was at the building site for an unlawful purpose, so by Georgia Law, no Trespass was committed.

But let's say that he did have an unlawful purpose and thus did commit criminal trespass. (d) stats that such is a misdemeanor.

Now let's look at Citizens Arrest in Georgia Law.



Hmmm, spot the problem here. For a citizen's arrest to be made based on suspicion of the person having committed a crime, then the suspect must both being trying to escape, and the offence must be a Felony. Criminal Trespass, which we have already determined didn't happen, is a misdemeanor not a Felony. Thus there is no right to enact a citizen's arrest based on the suspicion that this was the same person as seen in the video. In fact those doing so were in danger of breaking this law....



because it is quite clear that they had no legal authority because even if he was the man on the security footage, there is no evidence of a law being broken by his mere presence on the building site, and all they had to go on was their suspicions of it being the same person, which is not enough to enact a Citizen's Arrest for a non Felony, such as Criminal Trespass.
This post may get buried in the thread, but I wanted to thank you for posting the above. The curiosity I had was "what if Arbery HAD been the one on video - would trying to citizen's arrest him after the fact at gunpoint have been legal?". Sounds like the answer is a pretty clear cut "NO".
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:08 AM   #204
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 5,225
Thermal, perhaps people are being a bit reactive to your tactics discussion because very similar argument are being made by the killer's defenders (including local law enforcement) that Arbery's unarmed attack justified the killing.

"he shouldn't have attacked an armed man" is a sentiment that can mean many different things. Your "Shouldn't" might mean it was a bad tactical decision. The defenders of the killers are saying "shouldn't" means it was unlawful for Arbery to grab the shotgun and fight.

Sure, trying to wrestle away the shotgun was a move with poor chance of success. Obviously this is true, the dude is dead from a shotgun blast.

Surely you can see how tedious commenting about his tactics muddies the water here.
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 7th May 2020 at 09:47 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:17 AM   #205
Jim_MDP
Philosopher
 
Jim_MDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: N.Cal/S.Or
Posts: 7,296
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
If they are allowed to force the confrontation and allowed to use guns in the process of a citizens arrest, then is it still brandishing?
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
He can be justified in defending himself and the shooters can be justified in trying a citizens arrest, and it can still not be murder. There doesn't need to be a party at fault.
X2
(crap... that was the wrong place to put "x2". I thought I was right after my own "placeholder" post. Oops. )

Bob I thought I'd see if anyone replied in the intervening ~30 posts... they didn't.

I understand the national standard for a CA is immediate pursuit of or in the company of a witness of, a suspect of a felony.
No legit felony CA... then brandishing applies.

Change my mind... O Socratic defender of the Harvard Debate Society Way (tm).
__________________
----------------------
Anything goes in the Goblin hut... anything.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 7th May 2020 at 09:49 AM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:18 AM   #206
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: It was Lothian's idea
Posts: 11,238
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I don't think we need to run a critique on a dead guy's fighting and evasion style in a thread about his murder and I simply cannot for the life of me come up with a non-disgusting reason you want to.
For the same reasons we analyze RFK's murder, or John Lennon's, or President Kennedy's, or Eric Garner's (another one for your lie collection, btw, that cop MURDERED Garner): discussing the variables that could have produced a better outcome.

Arbery's killing might show us how a tactical move failed, and why, but only as a sidebar to the main issue which is:

ARBERY WAS A VICTIM OF ARMED PSYCHO REDNECKS WHO THOUGHT THEY HAD LICENSE TO KILL

Please tell me you've kicked it out of screensaver and understand it now? No more lies and strawmen? Pretty please?
__________________

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:26 AM   #207
CORed
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central City, Colorado, USA
Posts: 9,572
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Thermal, perhaps people are being a bit reactive to your tactics discussion because very similar argument are being made by the killer's defenders (including local law enforcement) that Arbery's unarmed attack justified the killing.

"he shouldn't have attacked an armed man" is a sentiment that can mean many different things. You're "Shouldn't" might mean it was a bad tactical decision. The defenders of the killers are saying "shouldn't" means it was unlawful for Arbery to grab the shotgun and fight.

Sure, trying to wrestle away the shotgun was a move with poor chance of success. Obviously this is true, the dude is dead from a shotgun blast.

Surely you can see how tedious commenting about his tactics muddies the water here.
If their intent was to shoot him, then getting the shotgun away from the person holding it would have been his only chance. I don't think that's what I would have done in that situation, but I can see why he might have done it. OTOH, I've never had strangers point guns at me while I was minding my own business, so I can't say for sure what I would do in the heat of the moment. Certainly in a calm calculation, I would favor trying to talk them out of killing me over making a desperate grab for the shotgun, but calm calculation is not likely what I would do if somebody suddenly blocks my path and starts waving fierearms around.

In any case, it's a complete perversion of the concept of self defense to claim the shooting was justified, when they, with no good reason, forced him to fight for his life.

"We thought he looked like burglar" might be a "reasonable articulable suspicion" that would justify a real cop to stop, ID, and maybe frisk him, with weapon holstered unless the subject gets violent, but for an ex-cop who apparently forgot he was ex- who brandished a weapon and killed the guy when he tried to protect himself, it should be reason for him never to see the outside of a prison cell until he dies.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:26 AM   #208
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 26,765
I think we're getting caught in a trap here, of post-event analysis.

Of course, whenever a terrible thing happens, we can look back on it and say "he should have done something different." We now know things we did not or could not know then. We're like the audience at a horror movie, yelling at the screen "No, don't open that door!"

Thieves came and stole my TV. I should have put better bars on the window. I should have had a different TV. I shouldn't have this or should have that. And of course, in some sense that's true. In some irrelevant, red-herring way, whenever a crime is committed, there's something we can point to afterward that redistributes the responsibility.

But when a crime is committed, it's the criminal who does it. When a bunch of yahoos in a pickup truck accost a jogger and kill him, it's their fault. All of it is their fault. When we look at the video and see what happened, and see what might have been done, it's useful to plan for our own future, but if we use it to evaluate the event itself, we are diving into a morass of moral equivocation and speculation and critique of inferred attitude, which at best is useless and at worst results in accusations, real or not, that we make victims the authors of their demise.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:33 AM   #209
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: It was Lothian's idea
Posts: 11,238
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Thermal, perhaps people are being a bit reactive to your tactics discussion because very similar argument are being made by the killer's defenders (including local law enforcement) that Arbery's unarmed attack justified the killing.

"he shouldn't have attacked an armed man" is a sentiment that can mean many different things. You're "Shouldn't" might mean it was a bad tactical decision. The defenders of the killers are saying "shouldn't" means it was unlawful for Arbery to grab the shotgun and fight.

Sure, trying to wrestle away the shotgun was a move with poor chance of success. Obviously this is true, the dude is dead from a shotgun blast.

Surely you can see how tedious commenting about his tactics muddies the water here.
It shouldn't have gone on for more than a brief comment or two. It went on and became 'tedious' because of others lying about the content/intent the posts.

Which, going meta, is the ISF Cluster **** Conundrum. Posters see a story like this and polarize to pro-killer and anti-killer standpoints. There's no reason for that in, of all places, a skeptics forum. I would expect a bunch of adults who value critical thinking could elevate themselves above Twitter discussion and look at multiple angles dispassionately.

I take an interest in self defense and fighting strategies, and am always interested in real-time testing. Here, it falls with something I've always advocated: don't rush a group of armed nuts when unarmed. There is a good time to run like hell to the sides, and this was one. We are not bulletproof.
__________________

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:38 AM   #210
CORed
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central City, Colorado, USA
Posts: 9,572
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
My first post was a way of making fun of Bogative's response, because although we don't know a great many things, I think we know enough to draw some very easy conclusions, and although I am not a lawyer, I think I understand the basic legal questions here.


What we see on the video is that the men in/near the pickup truck were behaving in a threatening manner toward the jogger (by deliberately blocking his way.) It also appears that part of their threatening manner was display of and possibly pointing a weapon at the jogger. I say "appears" because I didn't watch the video frame by frame to be absolutely certain that the driver was threatening the jogger with the gun, but it sure seemed that way.

At that point, a reasonable person in the jogger's position would believe that he was in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm, and that escape from that situation was impossible. (i.e. you can't run away from a bullet, and the fact that they deliberately blocked his path would be perceived by a reasonable person as an aggressive act. A reasonable person would fear being shot in the back.)

In doing this, the men in the pickup truck have committed a crime. You can't go around pointing guns at people. You just can't. In some states, there's an exception if you happen to be in your house and he's breaking in, and in all states there's an exception if you are under a reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm, but there is no way any of those circumstances applied to the pickup truck people in this video. It's illegal to go pointing guns at people. Someone could get hurt.

So, the jogger's action, attempting to wrest the gun away from the driver, is justified. Preceiving himself to be under a threat of death or great bodily harm, he is justified in taking action to neutralize that threat, which he did, unsuccessfully.


Now, as a matter of principle, I must say that everyone is entitled to a fair trial, and even to the presumption of innocence, so we must remain open to the theoretical possibility that some future evidence will be presented that makes it clear that there was some extremely important but currently unknown (to us) piece of evidence that would put a completely different spin on what appears to have happened.

However, based on preliminary evidence, it seems these guys are guilty as sin. I suspect both of them, not just the man with the shotgun, because I think both of them brandished weapons. I would have to watch the video again to be sure about the guy in the bed of the truck, but I think he did.

Prosecutors and/or juries will have to decide exactly what charges will be filed and what the convictions will be, but if it isn't something, I will be very surprised, and the people of Georgia will be very angry.
Barring new evidence that changes things radically, I don't see how this is less than second degree murder for the shooter, with felony murder (if that is a thing in Georgia) charges for all participants, or assault charges at the least. Whether racially motivated or not (but I would bet a substantial amount that it was racially motivated), this was an assault with a deadly weapon that resulted in a homicide. This is behavior that ought to result in felony convictions and long prison sentences.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:38 AM   #211
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness
 
Silly Green Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,969
You know what really would be a good self defense and fighting strategy? If no one had picked up their guns and gone out to chase a jogger. His not leaving the road might point to him not being the trespasser, no? But maybe all black men look the same to them.
__________________
Normal is just a stereotype.
Silly Green Monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:41 AM   #212
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,160
We aren't allowed to criticize the two white people's shotgun handling technique (which, apropos of nothing, was garbage. Dude didn't even had it set in his shoulder good. My instructor in Afghanistan would have bit my head off for handling a long arm that way) only the black guy's defense strategy.
__________________
- I don't know how to convince you that facts exist
- I don't know how to convince you that you should care about other people
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:44 AM   #213
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 19,296
Question

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
We aren't allowed to criticize the two white people's shotgun handling technique (which, apropos of nothing, was garbage. Dude didn't even had it set in his shoulder good. My instructor in Afghanistan would have bit my head off for handling a long arm that way) only the black guy's defense strategy.
Of course you can. It is just boring to play out as the side that has the advantage, like Australia in risk.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:45 AM   #214
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,485
Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I've never had strangers point guns at me while I was minding my own business, so I can't say for sure what I would do in the heat of the moment.
You haven't been the victim of armed robbery. Yes, that's a real gun pointed at your face from two feet away. The victim is always minding their own business.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:49 AM   #215
CORed
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central City, Colorado, USA
Posts: 9,572
Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
Yep, just as expected, a complete and utter **** show here at the ISF – entertaining, but still a **** show.

On display is the normal prejudice, bigotry and racism towards southern white men. Lack of reading comprehension or the normal laziness of not bothering to read the links provided.

Accusing the DA of being part of the good ole boys club because he did not arrest two white guys for shooting a black guy just because they were white and the victim was black.

Accusations of the three men involved intentionally setting up an ambush so they can shoot a black guy. "****** hunting" as another poster describes it. That just points out a small portion of the absurdities in this thread.



The saddest part is how many people here actually believe this all started because some black guy was jogging down the street.


For those who are too lazy to read links provided in this thread, here's how it actually started:
If that narrative is true, it's still assault and murder. Possibly not racially motivated. Just a bunch of dumbasses playing cops and robbers, with real guns.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:50 AM   #216
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 5,225
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post

I take an interest in self defense and fighting strategies, and am always interested in real-time testing. Here, it falls with something I've always advocated: don't rush a group of armed nuts when unarmed. There is a good time to run like hell to the sides, and this was one. We are not bulletproof.
This was the second time they had tried to stop him. According to the police report, a previous attempt to block him in resulted in him turning back and running off. Fighting wasn't his first resort here.

I think the clip of the man taking aim with the shotgun changes things. Arbery doesn't veer into the shoulder until the man trains the gun on him. Coming around the other side he finds the armed man has re-positioned to head him off and he makes a snap decision.

The last moments of the chase were very chaotic. I wouldn't blame Arbery for having poor presence of mind at the moment.
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 7th May 2020 at 09:54 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 09:54 AM   #217
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: It was Lothian's idea
Posts: 11,238
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
We aren't allowed to criticize the two white people's shotgun handling technique (which, apropos of nothing, was garbage. Dude didn't even had it set in his shoulder good. My instructor in Afghanistan would have bit my head off for handling a long arm that way) only the black guy's defense strategy.
They should, and have, been roundly criticized for having guns out AT ALL. Georgia law regarding citizens arrest has been criticized, as well.

Oh, and Re: earlier, your 100% consistent thing; I remembered one more. Drejka in Florida. He MURDERED that black man, no questions or qualifiers, and should rot in prison. Glad he is there.

And agreed, gun handling for all the well armed killers was a joke. Waving guns around is different from being an efficient killer. And again, it took a lot of cojones for Arbery to rush them.
__________________

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:00 AM   #218
CORed
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central City, Colorado, USA
Posts: 9,572
Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
See, you could not be more mistaken. This story has everything to do with trespassing.

Arbery's trespassing on the day of, and trespassing previously on video, led to two individuals independently identifying him as the trespasser previously caught on video. If he would have chose not to trespass, he could have continued his routine jog through the neighborhood like he had been doing for years, according to his mother and neighbors, but he didn't. His trespassing precipitated a confrontation and now he's dead because of it.
I would agree that he shouldn't have been tresspassing (assuming that the whole tresspassing story wasn't made up by the killers after the fact).

But I will also say that the reason this became a murder, is that some redneck morons decided to respond to his trespassing by waving guns around.

Racist? Maybe, maybe not. Assault with a deadly weapon and murder? Definitely.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:03 AM   #219
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: It was Lothian's idea
Posts: 11,238
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
This was the second time they had tried to stop him. According to the police report, a previous attempt to block him in resulted in him turning back and running off. Fighting wasn't his first resort here.

I think the clip of the man taking aim with the shotgun changes things. Arbery doesn't veer into the shoulder until the man trains the gun on him. Coming around the other side he finds the armed man has re-positioned to head him off and he makes a snap decision.

The last moments of the chase were very chaotic. I wouldn't blame Arbery for having poor presence of mind at the moment.
Hard for me to picture guys standing in the road with guns (I live in a no carry state). Just seeing a firearm in public would likely have me diving for cover, not continuing to run and waiting to see if he put me in his sights.

But with that 20/20 hindsight, 2 or three weapons in sight and me empty handed...i dunno. Can't see doing anything but running hard and fast to the sides as a best possible chance.

The police report was filled out via testimony of the killers. Not sure how objectively we should take it. They could have been self serving in presenting the run up. IIRC, they claimed two shots were fired during the struggle, but we know it was three.

Also, still curious why the video recording buddy posted the footage. Conscience got the better of him after the fact? Or bragging?
__________________

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:07 AM   #220
CORed
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central City, Colorado, USA
Posts: 9,572
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
"Oh noes, here's a picture of him with his middle fingers raised! Thus, he must have been a violent thug that attacked these two innocent white guys, please ignore the recording of him trying to escape! He must have run away, and then ran back and punched them in the face from behind!"
Hey, he probably smoked weed too.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:13 AM   #221
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 14,574
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I think we're getting caught in a trap here, of post-event analysis.

Of course, whenever a terrible thing happens, we can look back on it and say "he should have done something different." We now know things we did not or could not know then. We're like the audience at a horror movie, yelling at the screen "No, don't open that door!"

Thieves came and stole my TV. I should have put better bars on the window. I should have had a different TV. I shouldn't have this or should have that. And of course, in some sense that's true. In some irrelevant, red-herring way, whenever a crime is committed, there's something we can point to afterward that redistributes the responsibility.

But when a crime is committed, it's the criminal who does it. When a bunch of yahoos in a pickup truck accost a jogger and kill him, it's their fault. All of it is their fault. When we look at the video and see what happened, and see what might have been done, it's useful to plan for our own future, but if we use it to evaluate the event itself, we are diving into a morass of moral equivocation and speculation and critique of inferred attitude, which at best is useless and at worst results in accusations, real or not, that we make victims the authors of their demise.
Indeed. Consider though... Frequently I hear black people describe how they instruct their children to behave in order to avoid risky confrontations with cops. They don't do this because they think their kids are guilty of something, or because they think cops are always in the right. They do this in the interest of protecting their kids from harm.

Here on the internet, it's hard to distinguish that sentiment from excusing the perps.

(I'm not addressing this to you.) It's my sense that Thermal is not excusing the perps in any way, and I wish posters would lighten up on him.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
My authority is total - Trump
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:13 AM   #222
Jim_MDP
Philosopher
 
Jim_MDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: N.Cal/S.Or
Posts: 7,296
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
... I take an interest in self defense and fighting strategies, and am always interested in real-time testing. Here, it falls with something I've always advocated: don't rush a group of armed nuts when unarmed. There is a good time to run like hell to the sides, and this was one. We are not bulletproof.
I'm a big ol' pussy and busted up as well, but a smoothbore might be the only weapon I'd charge, if the angle was right. That's a big cone of hurt and I'd take 20 seconds to "run" out of it if cover wasn't three steps away. I have to figure anyone who JUST tried to murder me would be just fine with strolling over to where I lay and finishing up the job.

Handgun? Dodge, weave, dive and roll... "serpentine" (what was the stupid younger Stark's name again?)

"Hunting" caliber with (hopefully) a big ol' 10x mount blocking the iron... run, baby run. Serpentine.

Select fire "style" rifle... "uhhh, is this high enough? I can raise them higher."

I kid... I'd just wimper at the AK/AR (maybe), but I really might logically charge the shotgun. And if I was in motion as this guy was (which I honestly, really CAN'T physically do any more) and the closest cover was ~40 feet away... ???
__________________
----------------------
Anything goes in the Goblin hut... anything.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 7th May 2020 at 10:23 AM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:18 AM   #223
CORed
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central City, Colorado, USA
Posts: 9,572
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
It could change who was charged. If the man in the pickup truck is pointing a gun at the jogger, he is committing a crime. If not, then he is merely a witness to a crime.
He still could be guilty of felony murder as an accomplice in a crime. It's no nearly as clear cut, though.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:22 AM   #224
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,485
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Indeed. Consider though... Frequently I hear black people describe how they instruct their children to behave in order to avoid risky confrontations with cops. They don't do this because they think their kids are guilty of something, or because they think cops are always in the right. They do this in the interest of protecting their kids from harm.
It's all over the place though. White parents instructing their children to behave in order to avoid risky confrontations with black people or black people neighborhoods. It's not that their kids are guilty of anything, they are doing it to protect their kids from harm. They don't want their children to be killed just because they were white walking on "black street."

As I said, it's the same thing all over the place.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:25 AM   #225
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 14,574
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It's all over the place though. White parents instructing their children to behave in order to avoid risky confrontations with black people or black people neighborhoods. It's not that their kids are guilty of anything, they are doing it to protect their kids from harm. They don't want their children to be killed just because they were white walking on "black street."

As I said, it's the same thing all over the place.
I don't buy it. One group has justifiable concerns, and the other group is motivated by racism. Speaking in general of course.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
My authority is total - Trump
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:25 AM   #226
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,160
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
As I said, it's the same thing all over the place.
Yeah except when black people kill white people they actually go to jail over it.
__________________
- I don't know how to convince you that facts exist
- I don't know how to convince you that you should care about other people
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:27 AM   #227
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility (USA, sort of)
Posts: 25,490
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
My impression is that most lynchings involved taking someone who had already been arrested from the jail to kill them.

<snip>

I think your impression may be an artifact of movies and TV. I would be unsurprised to find that the majority of them did not fit that description.
__________________
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:27 AM   #228
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,485
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yeah except when black people kill white people they actually go to jail over it.
Is that just another of your army of straw men? Of course it is. Don't ever change, Joe.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:30 AM   #229
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: It was Lothian's idea
Posts: 11,238
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Indeed. Consider though... Frequently I hear black people describe how they instruct their children to behave in order to avoid risky confrontations with cops. They don't do this because they think their kids are guilty of something, or because they think cops are always in the right. They do this in the interest of protecting their kids from harm.

Here on the internet, it's hard to distinguish that sentiment from excusing the perps.

(I'm not addressing this to you.) It's my sense that Thermal is not excusing the perps in any way, and I wish posters would lighten up on him.
Thanks, varwoche, and you are spot on. If I had my way, it would be 20 years to life to display a firearm in public, barring some LEO and security personel. These rednecks declared themselves executioners when they grabbed guns and headed out to the public street, full stop. Arbery did nothing to warrant a gun drawn, even if he was actively robbing that construction site, which it's pretty obvious he wasn't.

But that's not a fun position to clutch pearls about, so here we are.
__________________

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:36 AM   #230
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: It was Lothian's idea
Posts: 11,238
Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
I'm a big ol' pussy and busted up as well, but a smoothbore might be the only weapon I'd charge, if the angle was right. That's a big cone of hurt and I'd take 20 seconds to "run" out of it if cover wasn't three steps away. I have to figure anyone who JUST tried to murder me would be just fine with strolling over to where I lay and finishing up the job.

Handgun? Dodge, weave, dive and roll... "serpentine" (what was the stupid younger Stark's name again?)

"Hunting" caliber with (hopefully) a big ol' 10x mount blocking the iron... run, baby run. Serpentine.

Select fire "style" rifle... "uhhh, is this high enough? I can raise them higher."

I kid... I'd just wimper at the AK/AR (maybe), but I really might logically charge the shotgun. And if I was in motion as this guy was (which I honestly, really CAN'T physically do any more) and the closest cover was ~40 feet away... ???
I talk with guys that have all kinds of theories about what do do with a gun in sight. I think generally, if it is one guy and the weapon is within hand range, you have a chance at gaining control. Beyond that you are a target, and as you say, moving ones are harder to hit.

I hope to hell none of us ever have to face something like this. But hopefully the seed might get planted in our brains to run fast. Don't surrender, or wait, or continue. Get the **** out of there before a bead gets drawn on you.
__________________

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:39 AM   #231
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,485
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I don't buy it. One group has justifiable concerns, and the other group is motivated by racism. Speaking in general of course.
Be extra careful about what neighborhoods you go jogging in. It's a shame that some of America is unsafe for black people and some is unsafe for white people. It is what it is and all you can do is just keep chugging along. Stay calm and carry on.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:43 AM   #232
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,485
Whenever I hear "serpentine" I think of Peter Falk in The In-Laws.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:45 AM   #233
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 19,296
Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
X2
(crap... that was the wrong place to put "x2". I thought I was right after my own "placeholder" post. Oops. )

Bob I thought I'd see if anyone replied in the intervening ~30 posts... they didn't.

I understand the national standard for a CA is immediate pursuit of or in the company of a witness of, a suspect of a felony.
No legit felony CA... then brandishing applies.

Change my mind... O Socratic defender of the Harvard Debate Society Way (tm).
I didn't state an opinion on if it was a legitimate citizens arrest or not, I stated a conditional "if" and asked a question based on that condition.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:47 AM   #234
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 36,138
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Now the fun part is watching how elaborate the apologist's fan fiction is gonna have to get so they can keep saying that without directly saying it.

Because yeah there's no way to square that circle. Either this is outright murder or you're arguing the guy should have surrendered.
How about a third option? I would have liked him to run the heck away from them, maybe through a yard (Trespassing? Who freaking cares, your life is in danger!) or towards a home where he could have beat on a door while screaming, "Help, there's two crazy crackers with guns after me! Help! Someone call the police!" I'd rather be reading a humorous story about a couple dumb rednecks driving their truck into a neighbors swimming pool, while chasing an innocent jogger, than the one we're discussing now, any day of the week.
__________________
"Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, you’ll be a mile away and have his shoes."

Last edited by Mike!; 7th May 2020 at 10:49 AM.
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:50 AM   #235
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,485
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
How about a third option? I would have liked him to run the heck away from them, maybe through a yard (Trespassing? Who freaking cares, your life is in danger!) or towards a home where he could have beat on a door while screaming, "Help, there's two crazy crackers with guns after me! Help! Someone call the police!"
He would have been shot dead at the door by the homeowner. It happens every time. JoeMorgue will tell you about it.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:56 AM   #236
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 29,395
FWIW, I think that the defence of "I shot him because I feared for my life" is fatally flawed, even absent all other factors. It means that you've got more excuse to shoot a black person than a white person, just so long as you're scared of black people because you're racist. It essentially means that being racist is a valid defence against the charge of murdering a black person.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 10:59 AM   #237
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: It was Lothian's idea
Posts: 11,238
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
How about a third option? I would have liked him to run the heck away from them, maybe through a yard (Trespassing? Who freaking cares, your life is in danger!) or towards a home where he could have beat on a door while screaming, "Help, there's two crazy crackers with guns after me! Help! Someone call the police!" I'd rather be reading a humorous story about a couple dumb rednecks driving their truck into a neighbors swimming pool, while chasing an innocent jogger, than the one we're discussing now, any day of the week.
Hey hey hey! There's no other options or discussion around here, mister. There is only pro-racist and anti-racist, and the attendant strawmen. .
__________________

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 11:01 AM   #238
Carlotta
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 398
It seems to me that, if he had cut and run, they'd have shot him for trespassing as soon as he set foot on someone's yard/property.
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 11:02 AM   #239
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 22,347
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
FWIW, I think that the defence of "I shot him because I feared for my life" is fatally flawed, even absent all other factors. It means that you've got more excuse to shoot a black person than a white person, just so long as you're scared of black people because you're racist. It essentially means that being racist is a valid defence against the charge of murdering a black person.
The law agrees with you. It is not a valid defense to say that you feared for your life. It is only a valid defense to say that a reasonable person would have feared for his life. It's a very important distinction.

ETA: Which is not to say that juries always respect the distinction, even if explicitly instructed by the judge to do so.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 11:25 AM   #240
whoanellie
Muse
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 704
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Hard for me to picture guys standing in the road with guns (I live in a no carry state). Just seeing a firearm in public would likely have me diving for cover, not continuing to run and waiting to see if he put me in his sights.



But with that 20/20 hindsight, 2 or three weapons in sight and me empty handed...i dunno. Can't see doing anything but running hard and fast to the sides as a best possible chance.



The police report was filled out via testimony of the killers. Not sure how objectively we should take it. They could have been self serving in presenting the run up. IIRC, they claimed two shots were fired during the struggle, but we know it was three.



Also, still curious why the video recording buddy posted the footage. Conscience got the better of him after the fact? Or bragging?
What makes you think the buddy posted it?
whoanellie is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:57 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.