ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Derek Chauvin , George Floyd , Minneapolis incidents , police incidents , police misconduct charges

Old 8th June 2020, 06:26 AM   #81
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Video evidence of MPD slashing tires. There has been speculation that the police have been responsible for the widespread slashing of tires in Minneapolis during the protests. One journalist discovered his car, and every car in the same parking garage, had all 4 tires slashed. Now there is evidence proving cops are slashing tires.

https://www.motherjones.com/anti-rac...n-minneapolis/
Old 8th June 2020, 06:42 AM   #82
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
If the instances of misconduct are minor enough and/or long enough ago I suppose that wouldn't prevent them being hired.

If the misconduct were not considered misconduct by the hiring police department.

But you'd think that a history of misconduct should be a bar to employment.
Given the conduct of some police departments, a cynic might consider that a record of previous misconduct is a head start.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 07:03 AM   #83
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

In Whitefish, Montana, a young woman named Samantha Francine is confronted by a large white man with balled fists, shouting, "Black Lives Matter? **** you! **** you! **** you!"
She does not look away.

He knew he didn't win.

https://twitter.com/drvox/status/1269746069740507136

ETA video here. https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/wh...-confrontation

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 8th June 2020 at 07:04 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 07:24 AM   #84
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I've changed my mind about defunding the Minneapolis Police. Please go right ahead and do so. If that's what it takes to get rid of the corrupt police union the white supremacist *************, and the just plain evil garbage that seems to be everywhere on the force, then do so! Then do what Camden did, hire a new police department that cooperates with the community.
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 07:31 AM   #85
shemp

(moved)
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare

Last edited by shemp; 8th June 2020 at 07:34 AM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 07:48 AM   #86
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I've changed my mind about defunding the Minneapolis Police. Please go right ahead and do so. If that's what it takes to get rid of the corrupt police union the white supremacist *************, and the just plain evil garbage that seems to be everywhere on the force, then do so! Then do what Camden did, hire a new police department that cooperates with the community.

Speaking of which:
Quote:
The transformation began after the 2012 homicide spike. The department wanted to put more officers on patrol but couldn’t afford to hire more, partly because of generous union contracts. So in 2013, the mayor and city council dissolved the local PD and signed an agreement for the county to provide shared services. The new county force is double the size of the old one, and officers almost exclusively patrol the city.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ice-department

Minneapolis is a much bigger city, but it might possible to merge St. Paul and the other local forces into one county-wide force that would then hire new cops for a Minneapolis division.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 08:28 AM   #87
erlando
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
In Whitefish, Montana, a young woman named Samantha Francine is confronted by a large white man with balled fists, shouting, "Black Lives Matter? **** you! **** you! **** you!"
She does not look away.

He knew he didn't win.

And just like that Jay Snowden, 51, exposed himself as part of the problem.
Old 8th June 2020, 08:38 AM   #88
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Minneapolis city council president explains on CNN that expecting to be able to call police when someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night "comes from a place of privilege"

Twitter link with CNN video

Quote:
"CAMEROTA: "What if in the middle of the night my home is broken into. Who do I call?"

BENDER: "Yes, I hear that loud and clear from a lot of my neighbors. And I know — and myself, too, and I know that that comes from a place of privilege.""
I want to live in "a place of privilege" - as in, a white community where people expect and appreciate law enforcement and are able to deal with law enforcement peacefully and not lose their minds and end up giving cops a reason to shoot them.

That's what's really underlying all of these requests about eliminating cops. Certain communities are basically saying "look, we CANNOT stop ourselves from committing crimes and likewise cannot stop ourselves from violently resisting arrest - so you're just going to have to give up having a society to accommodate our dysfunction"

Last edited by Skeptic Tank; 8th June 2020 at 08:40 AM.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 08:55 AM   #89
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
Minneapolis city council president explains on CNN that expecting to be able to call police when someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night "comes from a place of privilege"

I want to live in "a place of privilege" - as in, a white community where people expect and appreciate law enforcement and are able to deal with law enforcement peacefully and not lose their minds and end up giving cops a reason to shoot them.

That's what's really underlying all of these requests about eliminating cops. Certain communities are basically saying "look, we CANNOT stop ourselves from committing crimes and likewise cannot stop ourselves from violently resisting arrest - so you're just going to have to give up having a society to accommodate our dysfunction"
Yes, dear.
Old 8th June 2020, 08:57 AM   #90
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I want to live in a... white community
"Omit Needless Words" - Strunk and White
Old 8th June 2020, 09:00 AM   #91
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

yeah, who else is going to show up 3 hours late, shoot your dog, and not solve the case? They will be missed.
Old 8th June 2020, 09:40 AM   #92
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Barr Says There Is No Systemic Racism in Policing

Quote:
Attorney General William P. Barr said on Sunday that he did not believe racism was a systemic problem in policing, echoing other top administration officials’ defense of an important part of President Trump’s base as protests against police killings of unarmed black people continued across the nation.

“I don’t think that the law enforcement system is systemically racist,” Mr. Barr said in an interview with the CBS program “Face the Nation.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/07/u...sm-police.html
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 09:41 AM   #93
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

She does not look away.

He knew he didn't win.

Whitefish is, of course, a currently popular destination for neo-Nazis.
Old 8th June 2020, 10:04 AM   #94
Belz...
Fiend God

Quote:
Barr said on Sunday that he did not believe racism was a systemic problem in policing
Racists don't usually see racism as a problem, you see?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 10:09 AM   #95
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

He's correct. Many studies have shown this.

Blacks get as policed as they do because of the amount of crime they generate, simple.

Preview of society without police
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 10:19 AM   #96
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Phew! Hey everybody, you can stop protesting, now!
Old 8th June 2020, 10:33 AM   #97
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Racists don't usually see racism as a problem, you see?
Of course one could dodge the charge of racism by (as so often seems the option) claiming stupidity. In this case, statistical innumeracy that just so happens to track racial stereotypes. If most X are black, then uneven enforcement is reasonable because most blacks are X. Blame your kind for our excesses.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 10:52 AM   #98
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And remember there are no chemicals in pepper spray, this is someone who we should be listening to.
Old 8th June 2020, 10:55 AM   #99
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And remember there are no chemicals in pepper spray, this is someone who we should be listening to.
Yea it would at least have been accurate if he said it was not a gas but an aerosolized liquid.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 10:56 AM   #100
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

KKK leader drives car into group of protesters in Virginia; injures 1

Quote:
On June 7 at approximately 5:45 p.m., Henrico County police received a call about an incident that occurred during the protest walk on Lakeside Avenue near Vale Street.

An adult victim had stopped to report the incident in the City near the AP Hill Monument.

According to witnesses, a vehicle revved their engine and drove through the protesters occupying the roadway.

Police say Harry H. Rogers, 36, of Hanover County was arrested and charged with assault and battery, attempted malicious wounding and felony vandalism. He is being held without bond.

Henrico Commonwealth Attorney Shannon Taylor said Rogers admitted to being a leader of the Ku Klux Klan and a protagonist for Confederate ideology. They are investigating whether hate crimes charges are appropriate.
Luckily this time nobody was seriously hurt.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 11:10 AM   #101
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
KKK leader drives car into group of protesters in Virginia; injures 1

Luckily this time nobody was seriously hurt.
...Till they get a hold of the driver

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 11:26 AM   #102
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Spreadsheet collecting 402 documented examples of police brutality during the nationwide BLM protests:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...hyW6c-mG74Avyg
Old 8th June 2020, 11:46 AM   #103
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Spreadsheet collecting 402 documented examples of police brutality during the nationwide BLM protests:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...hyW6c-mG74Avyg
Do you have a spreadsheet for property damage or White people being beaten during the protests?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 11:49 AM   #104
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I just saw a comment on Twitter, something like, "Black Lives Matter is coming to the defense of a 75 year old white guy who got knocked down by the police, while the All Lives Matter crowd is siding with the police."
Well if somebody said it on twitter.......
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 12:12 PM   #105
shemp

These people have the solution to ending racial injustice:

Rhode Island doughnut shop ends police, military discounts due to problems with 'racism and injustice'

Quote:
NORTH KINGSTOWN, R.I. - A Rhode Island doughnut shop announced on social media that it was no longer offering a discount to police officers or members of the military.

According to the post, the decision was inspired by recent accusations of racism and injustice against the local police department. The move was met with both anger and applause on social media.
Old 8th June 2020, 12:17 PM   #106
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Careful with that, the police killed the guy giving them free barbecue and now donuts? That will only end in violence and death.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 12:33 PM   #107
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I'm listening to the evening concert on Classic FM, and John Suchet just said there would be a minute's silence at 9pm to mark the two week anniversary of the death of George Floyd. Is this a general thing? I hadn't heard anything about it, though I will be happy to observe it.
Old 8th June 2020, 12:39 PM   #108
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Video evidence of MPD slashing tires. There has been speculation that the police have been responsible for the widespread slashing of tires in Minneapolis during the protests. One journalist discovered his car, and every car in the same parking garage, had all 4 tires slashed. Now there is evidence proving cops are slashing tires.

https://www.motherjones.com/anti-rac...n-minneapolis/
That's not "video evidence" of MPD slashing tires, it's video of them doing it!

Now it is being reported that they were doing it on orders from higher ups.

My response is to ask, how do these ******** live with themselves? As John Lennon asked, how do they sleep? Do they come home and tell their wives, "You will never guess what I did today..."

Our ******* heroes...
Old 8th June 2020, 12:52 PM   #109
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
...do all of us (including yourself) a flavor...
Can he do me coconut?
Old 8th June 2020, 12:56 PM   #110
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
My response is to ask, how do these ******** live with themselves? As John Lennon asked, how do they sleep? Do they come home and tell their wives, "You will never guess what I did today..."

Our ******* heroes...
This sort of presumes that "bad cops" have "good wives."

Honey, I'm home. Wait til you hear this - I slashed tires today on protesters' cars.
How many?
About thirty.
That isn't enough. You are sleeping on the couch tonight.
Old 8th June 2020, 12:59 PM   #111
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
This sort of presumes that "bad cops" have "good wives."

Honey, I'm home. Wait til you hear this - I slashed tires today on protesters' cars.
How many?
About thirty.
That isn't enough. You are sleeping on the couch tonight.
Odds are good the cops beat their wives too. They're working longer hours these days, but I imagine they are still putting in the effort at home.
Old 8th June 2020, 01:10 PM   #112
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Derek Chauvin's bail set at 1 million:

https://apnews.com/b3ec2c265b33d4135...&utm_medium=AP
Old 8th June 2020, 01:22 PM   #113
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Odds are good the cops beat their wives too. They're working longer hours these days, but I imagine they are still putting in the effort at home.
You are stereotyping and showing hatred and bigotry. It reminds me of racists who say, "odds are good that a black hoodie-wearer is a criminal."
Old 8th June 2020, 01:26 PM   #114
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Derek Chauvin's bail set at 1 million:

https://apnews.com/b3ec2c265b33d4135...&utm_medium=AP
Hmmm, seems like the judge isn't going with the he's really not q bad guy defense.
Old 8th June 2020, 01:28 PM   #115
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
You are stereotyping and showing hatred and bigotry. It reminds me of racists who say, "odds are good that a black hoodie-wearer is a criminal."
Quote:
Research suggests that family violence is two to four times higher in the law-enforcement community than in the general population. So where's the public outrage?
https://www.theatlantic.com/national...riends/380329/
Old 8th June 2020, 01:32 PM   #116
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Do you have a spreadsheet for property damage or White people being beaten during the protests?
Do YOU have a spreadsheet of squirrels?
Old 8th June 2020, 01:35 PM   #117
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
No, just my own personal memories.
Old 8th June 2020, 01:36 PM   #118
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The racists will haul out their own statistics to support what they say are good odds. It goes round and round.

An observer of this "battle of arguments" is to decide on the winner how? Is the winner the one who is less full of hatred and bigotry?
Old 8th June 2020, 01:46 PM   #119
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Do YOU have a spreadsheet of squirrels?
Don't know what the complaint is. There are plenty of videos of violence against white people. By the police.

If you believe all protestors are black, it reveals that you're probably a racist.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 02:05 PM   #120
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Pick a field office near where you live...

https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices

Click on their webpage link

Click on their Facebook or Twitter link (top right)

Send them a message
https://twitter.com/iancanwrite/stat...91132545564674
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events