ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Derek Chauvin , George Floyd , Minneapolis incidents , police incidents , police misconduct charges

Old 8th June 2020, 06:43 PM   #161
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Impeccable economic logic. Used to be the store lost Instead of losing money on free lunches, now they won't. I'm sure the store is hurting from that. (corrected based on previous post)
I'd say they were more motivated by the cost of broken glass as opposed to the cost of a few meals.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 06:44 PM   #162
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
They made a PR error. They corrected it.
It remains to be seen whether it turns out to be a "correction" or not.
Old 8th June 2020, 06:51 PM   #163
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Little to do with that.
As I said, the boycott was do to the initial offer being rescinded so crassly.

It was a public "**** you cops" calculated to prevent provocation of the protestors leading to potential damage to their other stores- which immediately followed a "bless you cops" message when they thougt that was the best way to come through this whole.
"Invisible hand" and all that, I suppose
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 07:19 PM   #164
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
"Invisible hand" and all that, I suppose
I wouldn't want to be the employee tasked with calling 911 the next time needed.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 07:23 PM   #165
Cabbage
Banned

You could frame it that way, if you wish.
They were thanking the cops, and offering free lunches right up till it became apparent that the rioting was not done- then they were condemning them.

If you don't find that crass, I think you are being naive.

They never, it seems, decided to offer anything at all to the protestors.

And, like I just explained to you, it might instead be that they previously were ignorant of how much police brutality has been occurring over the past couple of weeks, and when they actually learned of it they decided to change their policy. If you simply dismiss that as a possibility, you simply haven't been paying attention over the last two weeks.

This isn't the first time I've seen you spin spin spin to defend the police; it's absolutely clear to me where your agenda lies.

ETA: In all honestly, in my opinion anyone (ie, you) who actually thinks he's making postworthy point by saying:

In fairness, it was the concrete that cracked the old fools' head.
I guess he was so used to his white privledge that he thought he could stop the world to have his opinion heard.
is not engaging in good faith and is absolutely deserving of contempt.

Last edited by Cabbage; 8th June 2020 at 07:30 PM.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 07:30 PM   #166
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Yea, thanks for correcting that.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 8th June 2020, 07:33 PM   #167
Cabbage
Banned

Yea, thanks for correcting that.

Sorry! I clicked on your comment just to make sure I got the syntax for the quote link right, then forgot to change your name. At least I caught it immediately.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 07:38 PM   #168
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Don't know what the complaint is. There are plenty of videos of violence against white people. By the police.

If you believe all protestors are black, it reveals that you're probably a racist.
There's no complaint. I'm sure most of those 400 plus incidents of police brutality were against White people. White people are more likely to be beaten and killed by the police than black people are in general.

But it would be nice to document non-police beatings--peaceful protesters against peaceful protesters--and property damage for this specific uprising.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 07:46 PM   #169
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
And, like I just explained to you, it might instead be that they previously were ignorant of how much police brutality has been occurring over the past couple of weeks, and when they actually learned of it they decided to change their policy.:
Must disagree with you here- I don't believe that's the way it went down.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 8th June 2020, 07:51 PM   #170
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Wow, that's disgusting: give us free food or we'll call for a boycott.

I'm guessing their business will increase now.
“Police boycott” has significant implications clearly understood from the long history of police dealing with businesses. The threat by the police is not that the police will stop “buying” their free food at the shop. Why should the shop care about that? It’s that the police will now be much less “enthusiastic“ about defending this shop if they need help.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 08:06 PM   #171
Cabbage
Banned

Must disagree with you here- I don't believe that's the way it went down.

I am simply admitting I don't know, but at the same time pointing out that the spin others put on it is telling.
Old 8th June 2020, 08:35 PM   #172
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Wasn't suggesting they would have.
Who did they call after she did though?
And that's relevant why?

Surely you can find a better example if you look a little harder.

No one is suggesting we don't need police doing police work. What we want (not that I speak for everyone) for one is for the police to stop hunting down blacks "who look suspicious".

And the police shouldn't be responding to mentally ill aid calls. There has to be a better way that shooting dead the family member they were called to help.

There are many more ways things could be better handled.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 08:55 PM   #173
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And that's relevant why?

Surely you can find a better example if you look a little harder.

No one is suggesting we don't need police doing police work.
Then why are protestors demanding defunding or even disbanding them?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 09:04 PM   #174
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Then why are protestors demanding defunding or even disbanding them?

Hey, don't blame others simply because you misunderstand what is being proposed. See this post: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...9#post13117769
Old 8th June 2020, 09:29 PM   #175
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Hey, don't blame others simply because you misunderstand what is being proposed. See this post: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...9#post13117769
Would hardly call that disbanding.

Reading wiki on Camden they just sacked 168 unionised officers of the 370 due to them being too expensive. Re-hired 155 of them being paid less and just changed the focus of what they were enforcing.

Just ditch the management and get people in to do the last bit.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Last edited by cullennz; 8th June 2020 at 09:33 PM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2020, 09:55 PM   #176
Cabbage
Banned

Would hardly call that disbanding.

Nevertheless, that is what is being proposed.

I've advised you before to attempt to learn something before making ignorant comments. Maybe this time you will finally take that advice?
Old 8th June 2020, 10:23 PM   #177
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Nevertheless, that is what is being proposed.

I've advised you before to attempt to learn something before making ignorant comments. Maybe this time you will finally take that advice?
Oh . I feel so chastised over not seeing a post about a police dept being disbanded as an eg; fhat ended up being one that wasn't.

What will I do to meet your expectations?

It's a toughy. Needs a lot of thought..... I think I have got it......not give a **** about your opinion of me.

Old 8th June 2020, 10:30 PM   #178
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Or of course you could just learn the meaning of the word disband

Old 8th June 2020, 10:33 PM   #179
Cabbage
Banned

OK, I'll take that as a "No" LOL

But is this: "a police dept being disbanded as an eg; fhat ended up being one that wasn't."

an attempt at communication???

Last edited by Cabbage; 8th June 2020 at 10:34 PM.
Old 8th June 2020, 10:36 PM   #180
Cabbage
Banned

Or of course you could just learn the meaning of the word disband
I'm not the one using the word. Maybe redirect your comment to someone relevant?
Old 8th June 2020, 10:44 PM   #181
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Oh, great. Can you cite three of these studies?
It doesn't matter if there are indeed differences between demographic groups, any such studies are irrelevant. If a law abiding black person going about their business is more likely to be pulled over, questioned, harassed, assaulted or arrested than a law abiding white person going about theirs, that is discrimination. It's the definition of discrimination. Population statistics tell you nothing about individuals. Making assumptions about people based solely on the demographic group they belong to can never be justified.
Old 8th June 2020, 10:48 PM   #182
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

OK, I'll take that as a "No" LOL

But is this: "a police dept being disbanded as an eg; fhat ended up being one that wasn't."

an attempt at communication???
Lol

Sorry for the sarcasm.

Was a joke.

I was just questioning the claim no protestors are calling for the police to not police.

Old 8th June 2020, 10:52 PM   #183
Cabbage
Banned

Lol

Sorry for the sarcasm.

Was a joke.

I was just questioning the claim no protestors are calling for the police to not police.

And like I said, you are misunderstanding the claim. For that matter, I agree that "defund" or "disband" the police could be phrased better. I'm only trying to point out that you misunderstand the intended proposal, which is a restructuring of police, not a regression to The Purge: Anarchy.
Old 8th June 2020, 11:33 PM   #184
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

And like I said, you are misunderstanding the claim. For that matter, I agree that "defund" or "disband" the police could be phrased better. I'm only trying to point out that you misunderstand the intended proposal, which is a restructuring of police, not a regression to The Purge: Anarchy.
Fair call

Personally think unless it is done on a federal level policy wise half the loads of different depts will cock it up and it won't fix anything.

Old 9th June 2020, 12:37 AM   #185
Cabbage
Banned

Fair call

Personally think unless it is done on a federal level policy wise half the loads of different depts will cock it up and it won't fix anything.

Well, sure. I don't think anyone here in the US is foolish enough to kick back and think, "Hey, we did it! Problem solved" just yet. I think most people are jaded enough to be skeptical that anything will really change.
Old 9th June 2020, 12:43 AM   #186
Planigale
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
What's especially bizarre about that is that the department probably has a written policy forbidding cops from accepting anything free. It used to be called takng a bribe. Now the cops are not only admitting it, but demanding it? Defund the police!
In the UK it would be a disciplinary offence for a police officer to accept a 'free' meal. As has been said this is the thin edge of corruption.

In principle I think that the whole concept of giving discounts to police or military or other groups is dubious, it is discrimination. Many of the favoured groups are likely to have been historically systemically racist (and may still be). The sanitation engineer and pest control officer probably do more to keep the nation safe than the police officer or sailor. I am always uncomfortable with systems that identify some people as of more worth than others.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 02:09 AM   #187
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
It doesn't matter if there are indeed differences between demographic groups, any such studies are irrelevant. If a law abiding black person going about their business is more likely to be pulled over, questioned, harassed, assaulted or arrested than a law abiding white person going about theirs, that is discrimination. It's the definition of discrimination. Population statistics tell you nothing about individuals. Making assumptions about people based solely on the demographic group they belong to can never be justified.
I know it doesn't matter. I'm addressing Tank's claim. You know, being skeptical of it.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 02:18 AM   #188
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Defunding isn't abolishing.

If you have a clearly failed project that year after year costs more, does less and hires murdering people, instead of reforming it you might be much better off just closing it and start from scratch.
Old 9th June 2020, 02:37 AM   #189
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I know it doesn't matter. I'm addressing Tank's claim. You know, being skeptical of it.
Fair enough. It's just one of my bugbears that so many people do seem to think that statistical differences between groups justify discrimination against every member of a group.
Old 9th June 2020, 03:52 AM   #190
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
A paradox that forces people to be contradictory or hypocritical. Good people with good ideas are forced into this position because they end up deciding that they have to be as bad as their enemy in order to defeat them.
I'll explain it using short sentences and small words.

- Hating people for the color of their skin is hating them for no reason.

- Hating people for hating people for the color of their skin is not hating them for no reason.

There, I have now resolved the paradox that was causing you so much pearl clutching and consternation. You can get on with your life.
Old 9th June 2020, 04:30 AM   #191
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Seattle PD hit a 21 year old woman directly in the chest with a stun grenade, stopping her heart.

She's alive because of the heroic rescue efforts of her fellow protesters and street medics, who were able to provide CPR and bring her to an emergency room.

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/statu...84140898525185
Old 9th June 2020, 04:47 AM   #192
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Cops' Logic:
" We are the Police, therefore everyone else is a criminal."
Old 9th June 2020, 04:50 AM   #193
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Cops' Logic:
" We are the Police, therefore everyone else is a criminal."
"We are the Police, therefore everyone else is a violent criminal."
Old 9th June 2020, 05:04 AM   #194
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Fair enough. It's just one of my bugbears that so many people do seem to think that statistical differences between groups justify discrimination against every member of a group.
I prefer Gnolls.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:06 AM   #195
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Hating people for the color of their skin is hating them for no reason.
Let's not confuse reasons we disagree with (or stupid reasons) for lack of reason.

Old 9th June 2020, 05:06 AM   #196
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
She's alive because of the heroic rescue efforts of her fellow protesters and street medics, who were able to provide CPR and bring her to an emergency room.
I'm surprised the police let them.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:28 AM   #197
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I'm surprised the police let them.

Dave
Apparently they evacuated her under fire.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:29 AM   #198
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
In Philadelphia, a up scale grocery store and food market (DiBruno Brothers) said they will no longer be offering on duty police free lunches. The police union responded by announcing a boycott of the store.
I would think strategically deflating the tires of all those who shop their with knives would be a better protest for the police.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:31 AM   #199
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

The free lunches were offered a matter of hours before they were withdrawn.
This was not some long-standing policy of the retailer, or the Police.
Hey free lunches to cops can get you shot by the police. Fortunately they all had their body cameras off so that means it was a good shooting.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world...IWa?li=AAFtnGm
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:47 AM   #200
Mumbles
Philosopher

And, like I just explained to you, it might instead be that they previously were ignorant of how much police brutality has been occurring over the past couple of weeks, and when they actually learned of it they decided to change their policy. If you simply dismiss that as a possibility, you simply haven't been paying attention over the last two weeks.

This isn't the first time I've seen you spin spin spin to defend the police; it's absolutely clear to me where your agenda lies.

ETA: In all honestly, in my opinion anyone (ie, you) who actually thinks he's making postworthy point by saying:

is not engaging in good faith and is absolutely deserving of contempt.
Again, the solution is simple - don’t engage in talks with white supremacists like him.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events