ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th June 2020, 01:16 PM   #1
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Karen - Stop!

It's well and truly past time this business of labelling every [white] woman who acts like a racist as "Karen". I'm seeing it everywhere.

It's great for marginalising women who were given the name Karen, but it doesn't advance anything other than stereotypes.

Isn't that something we're trying to stop?
Old 14th June 2020, 01:58 PM   #2
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

And it is entirely incomprehensible to non-Americans.

Also, it is absurd for people who presumably are against discrimination to discriminate against bearers of some specific name.

Hans
Old 14th June 2020, 02:25 PM   #3
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Also, it is absurd for people who presumably are against discrimination to discriminate against bearers of some specific name.
People referred to disparagingly as "Karens" are very very rarely actually named Karen. It's not their name that is being discriminated against.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 02:49 PM   #4
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Hans
In your new avatar photo, the shadow on the collar makes it appear that the person in the photo is wearing a Star Trek TOS Red shirt. Just sayin'.

Don't want to discriminate, now. Just ... maybe ... watch your back.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 02:55 PM   #5
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Sure. We'll get right on this pressing issue... right after entitled, middle class, racist white women can not make an incident for... let's say two weeks.

Until then, suck it up.
Old 14th June 2020, 03:08 PM   #6
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
It's well and truly past time this business of labelling every [white] woman who acts like a racist as "Karen". I'm seeing it everywhere.

It's great for marginalising women who were given the name Karen, but it doesn't advance anything other than stereotypes.

Indeed. You should bring your concerns to the manager.
Old 14th June 2020, 03:17 PM   #7
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Yes and Uncle Tom is disparaging to any man named Tom.
Old 14th June 2020, 03:19 PM   #8
angrysoba
Philosophile

Can I ask if it’s a GoodFellas reference? Ray Liotta is always saying “Kyaaaa-ren! That was all the money we HAD, Kya-ren!”
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 03:21 PM   #9
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Juniversal View Post
It could be, especially if your uncle is black and called Tom. “Hey Uncle Tom, why weren’t you at the Black Lives Matter, protest yesterday? Oh, I guess I answered my own question!”
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 03:21 PM   #10
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Can I ask if it’s a GoodFellas reference? Ray Liotta is always saying “Kyaaaa-ren! That was all the money we HAD, Kya-ren!”
Know one knows exactly where the term came from.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/karen
Old 14th June 2020, 03:33 PM   #11
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Personally I love that there's now a name for this is archetype. Much better than all white women being lumped together as being representative of this entitled behavior that seems to plague many middle aged white women. Not much different then the use of Tom in "Uncle Tom" as an archetype that has little connection to people named Tom.
Old 14th June 2020, 03:35 PM   #12
RedStapler
Critical Thinker

Yeah, let's call them what they are: racist ***** (or Karen, I don't really care)
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 03:42 PM   #13
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Personally I love that there's now a name for this is archetype. Much better than all white women being lumped together as being representative of this entitled behavior that seems to plague many middle aged white women. Not much different then the use of Tom in "Uncle Tom" as an archetype that has little connection to people named Tom.
Or Aunt Jeremiah. Nothing wrong with white people referring to certain kinds of black women with that name, I suppose. Or Shaniqua, for that matter.

Look at that Shaniqua over there.

Wollen owns the stage

Last edited by trustbutverify; 14th June 2020 at 03:43 PM.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 03:50 PM   #14
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I think they should be given a name that no one would ever use, like Gnbuygbcrg or Vgynunwrygyqgu or Hortense.
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 03:54 PM   #15
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I think they should be given a name that no one would ever use, like Gnbuygbcrg or Vgynunwrygyqgu or Hortense.
How about "entitled"? Or "racist"? Or "obnoxious"? Maybe the problem with those descriptions are they fit too many of the folk using "Karen".

Wollen owns the stage

Last edited by trustbutverify; 14th June 2020 at 03:57 PM.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 04:18 PM   #16
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Nope. Maybe for non-English speakers, or even Euros, but it's become common enough that Kiwis are using it.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Sure. We'll get right on this pressing issue... right after entitled, middle class, racist white women can not make an incident for... let's say two weeks.

Until then, suck it up.
Mate, it doesn't bother me at all, but the irony of a bunch of people claiming to be anti-something-ist creating a whole new sub-class of women isn't lost on me.

It'd be a pretty easy one to fix.

No, because the "Uncle" is always specifically used with it, and it's not dominating news cycles like Karen.

New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Tennessee, Phoenix, take your pick - that's a very small selection recent stories featuring Karen.
Old 14th June 2020, 05:35 PM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

And Chad, and Little Johnny, and Kevin, and Dick...
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 05:37 PM   #18
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

I have yet to come across the usage of "Karen" on anything about race.

It does seem to be the chosen name for anything cat - and sometime dog - related in cartoons and memes. Such as a startled cat looking in the glass door saying, "Where's your *********** spray bottle now, KAREN?"

The human parent is always Karen, and the cat or dog are always sarcastic.
Old 14th June 2020, 10:06 PM   #19
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

"I'd be happy to call them 'Entitiled, Self-Important, Arrogant Bitch' but I'm lazy at typing so its much easier to simply call them 'Karen'"

signed

Dick John Thomas

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 14th June 2020 at 10:12 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 10:10 PM   #20
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Mate, it doesn't bother me at all, but the irony of a bunch of people claiming to be anti-something-ist creating a whole new sub-class of women isn't lost on me.

It'd be a pretty easy one to fix.
Yeah, because 'Entitled, Self-Important, Arrogant Bitches' can avoid being sub-classed by not being 'Entitled, Self-Important, Arrogant Bitches'

If you're Black or Latino, not so much!

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 14th June 2020 at 10:13 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 03:44 AM   #21
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Not anymore, it isn't! Dansk navn svines til i USA (BT, May 24, 2020)

Quote:

You mean, like Brian?!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 03:54 AM   #22
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Or Aunt Jeremiah.
As in, if my aunty had balls she’d be my uncle?

(I guess you meant Aunt Jemima?)
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 04:02 AM   #23
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I know a Hortense, lovely person.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 04:22 AM   #24
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Look at that, there's also a Qaren meme. Pretty sure you can work that one out yourselves.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 04:31 AM   #25
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

Until then, suck it up.
First they came for the Karens, and I did not speak up for I was not a Karen.

When they came for me, there were no more managers to talk to.
Old 15th June 2020, 04:43 AM   #26
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Ok, Boomer.
Old 15th June 2020, 05:01 AM   #27
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The Karen trope is especially funny to me because at my work there is a woman named Karen, who has that hair style, and who tends to behave in that fashion. If she has an iota of self-awareness she'll return post-pandemic with a new hair style...but then again, if she had an iota of self-awareness she wouldn't act like she does.

Crowning irony: she is herself a manager.
Old 15th June 2020, 05:02 AM   #28
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Not all Karens:

Second sign a bit cropped, it reads "I'd like to speak to the manager of systematic racism please".
Old 15th June 2020, 05:09 AM   #29
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Not anymore, it isn't! Dansk navn svines til i USA (BT, May 24, 2020)...

My god! What the heck is BT?! British Trollium?!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 06:27 AM   #30
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
As in, if my aunty had balls she’d be my uncle?

(I guess you meant Aunt Jemima?)
I did, thanks.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 15th June 2020, 06:47 AM   #31
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Not all Chads are virgins.
Not all Johns solicit prostitutes.
Not all Joes are regular.
Tom, Dick, and Harry don't hang out together that often.

You'll get over it.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 06:57 AM   #32
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Is that the trope? I thought it was the opposite, that Chads were real ladykillers.
Old 15th June 2020, 07:04 AM   #33
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Is that the trope? I thought it was the opposite, that Chads were real ladykillers.
No. Chads are shallow frat boys. They may or may not have success with women, but they wear baseball hats backwards while wearing sunglasses, get drunk, and play x-box.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 07:05 AM   #34
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

The sad thing is that most Karens think they are Mary Sues.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 07:11 AM   #35
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
I have yet to come across the usage of "Karen" on anything about race.

It does seem to be the chosen name for anything cat - and sometime dog - related in cartoons and memes. Such as a startled cat looking in the glass door saying, "Where's your *********** spray bottle now, KAREN?"

The human parent is always Karen, and the cat or dog are always sarcastic.
It's been interesting to watch it evolve. The first time I heard it was a description of an image or short video with a cat watching his/her human do something that even the cat knew was dumb and would inconvenience the cat, with the cat then quoted as saying something like "Dammit, Karen, what did you do that for‽".

Then I started seeing & hearing it for women who like to make excessive demands for special treatment and pick verbal fights in public where it might get it other people's way, which was easy to boil down to demanding to talk to "the manager" wherever she goes. I guess the connection that got it here from the cat/dog thing was that the same kind of woman who was likely to have a cat or a small dog (which she might not be very good at taking care of) was also likely to be that kind of trouble-maker. And this also seems to be when she got a standard karen hairstyle that I've seen used to represent her as a silhouette a few times: roughly spherical, ending no lower than her lower jaw.

Only in the last few weeks have I heard it a few times about women who try to get black people arrested for crimes like buying the last bag of Fritos when Karen didn't even want the Fritos herself. This is an easier connection to make from the last step, because it's just another form of public trouble-making. But now we have a thread here started by somebody who's apparently run into this one a lot more than me, enough to get annoyed by it and apparently think that this particular subset of public trouble-making is the definition of a karen, not the broader scope that recently had karens yelling at retail/restaurant employees of all races. (It's only been a couple of weeks since I saw a case of the second phase, so I can't say yet whether the third phase has replaced it or they both coexist for at least some users of the word.)

So she's gone from bad pet ownership, to petty selfishness & overreactions over minor business complaints, to racist harassment, all in under a year.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 07:16 AM   #36
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
It's been interesting to watch it evolve. The first time I heard it was a description of an image or short video with a cat watching his/her human do something that even the cat knew was dumb and would inconvenience the cat, with the cat then quoted as saying something like "Dammit, Karen, what did you do that for‽".

Then I started seeing & hearing it for women who like to make excessive demands for special treatment and pick verbal fights in public where it might get it other people's way, which was easy to boil down to demanding to talk to "the manager" wherever she goes. I guess the connection that got it here from the cat/dog thing was that the same kind of woman who was likely to have a cat or a small dog (which she might not be very good at taking care of) was also likely to be that kind of trouble-maker. And this also seems to be when she got a standard karen hairstyle that I've seen used to represent her as a silhouette a few times: roughly spherical, ending no lower than her lower jaw.

Only in the last few weeks have I heard it a few times about women who try to get black people arrested for crimes like buying the last bag of Fritos when Karen didn't even want the Fritos herself. This is an easier connection to make from the last step, because it's just another form of public trouble-making. But now we have a thread here started by somebody who's apparently run into this one a lot more than me, enough to get annoyed by it and apparently think that this particular subset of public trouble-making is the definition of a karen, not the broader scope that recently had karens yelling at retail/restaurant employees of all races. (It's only been a couple of weeks since I saw a case of the second phase, so I can't say yet whether the third phase has replaced it or they both coexist for at least some users of the word.)

So she's gone from bad pet ownership, to petty selfishness & overreactions over minor business complaints, to racist harassment, all in under a year.
I think the connection between business complaining Karens and cop calling Karens is that they see the cops as the "manager" of public space. So escalating a petty squabble to a 911 call is the rough equivalent of demanding to speak to a manager.

An earlier example was the lady that called the cops on a black family having a cookout in a public park, though the name "Karen" wasn't being used yet. She was referred to online as "BBQ Becky". Then came the endless parade of other similar stories of frivolous 911 calls.

The behavior, whining to increasing authority figures in order to get their way and/or punish those that weren't obsequious enough, seems similar, though the police escalation Karens are obviously the most dangerous.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 15th June 2020 at 07:19 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 07:24 AM   #37
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
The sad thing is that most Karens think they are Mary Sues.
I can't fathom the level of existential dread required for anyone to think they themself are a Mary Sue.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 11:43 AM   #38
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Not all Johns solicit prostitutes.
Not all Joes are regular.
Tom, Dick, and Harry don't hang out together that often.

You'll get over it.
And not all Shaniquas are uneducated and quick to hysterics. Get over it, people.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 15th June 2020, 11:48 AM   #39
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

All this really reinforces how few first names people generally draw from in naming their kids. I think people should be more imaginative, and try to come up with unique names. Or at least less common ones, said Michael.
Old 15th June 2020, 12:03 PM   #40
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
All this really reinforces how few first names people generally draw from in naming their kids. I think people should be more imaginative, and try to come up with unique names.
No, they should not.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events