ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th June 2020, 12:04 PM   #41
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
It's well and truly past time this business of labelling every [white] woman who acts like a racist as "Karen". I'm seeing it everywhere.

It's great for marginalising women who were given the name Karen, but it doesn't advance anything other than stereotypes.

Isn't that something we're trying to stop?
What people are and aren't trying to stop is often a confusing trip down yellowbrick road.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 12:16 PM   #42
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
All this really reinforces how few first names people generally draw from in naming their kids. I think people should be more imaginative, and try to come up with unique names. Or at least less common ones, said Michael.
Did you know that the government of Iceland maintains an official list of acceptable first names for newborn children? If a parent tries to insist on choosing a name that is not on this list, the courts will actually intervene and assign the child an acceptable legal name over the parent's wishes.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 12:20 PM   #43
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Did you know that the government of Iceland maintains an official list of acceptable first names for newborn children? If a parent tries to insist on choosing a name that is not on this list, the courts will actually intervene and assign the child an acceptable legal name over the parent's wishes.
There are several places that do that. I think it's wrong, naming one's child should be left up to whoever's responsible for that child. That way the child can resent the right people.
Old 15th June 2020, 12:44 PM   #44
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

All this really reinforces how few first names people generally draw from in naming their kids. I think people should be more imaginative, and try to come up with unique names. Or at least less common ones, said Michael.
Hey, I resemble that remark. I have three kids with my wife and they all have unique names.

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
What people are and aren't trying to stop is often a confusing trip down yellowbrick road.
Yeah, but rasing others along the way seems a little counter-productive.

Even when there's absolutely no need for it.

An acronym would serve perfectly well.

How about SUSAN?

(Self-entitled Useless Semi-racist ******* Numpty)
Old 15th June 2020, 12:53 PM   #45
Chanakya

Tangential to the OP but not entirely unrelated: Why do we give hurricanes the names we do? We should be calling them Darth Vader, or even Hitler, or Orange Fart, that kind of thing.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 12:58 PM   #46
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Yeah, but rasing others along the way seems a little counter-productive.

Even when there's absolutely no need for it.

How about SUSAN?

I often just call them knobheads, lol.

I just find it hard to navigate the things people deem to be okay versus the things they're vehemently against, because the lines are often blurred between the two of them.

I agree that many of the more vocal supporters of social justice are quite often as ignorant as the people they're striving to diminish. They only see in black and white, ironically, you're either with them 100% of the way or you're a racist homophobe who probably eats kids, kicks puppies and listens to Gary Glitter.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 01:01 PM   #47
StillSleepy
Muse

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Tangential to the OP but not entirely unrelated: Why do we give hurricanes the names we do? We should be calling them Darth Vader, or even Hitler, or Orange Fart, that kind of thing.
You mean like the first Hurricane Karen? [Wikipedia]

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 01:08 PM   #48
Chanakya

Hadn't heard of that one! So, a nasty wind-weather formation, as well as a nasty person. Shouldn't be surprised, now, if the Karens of the world started together every week to weep and wail and then plan retaliatory action against non-Karens!
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 01:17 PM   #49
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

How about SUSAN?

How about Kook-Arsed, Rude, Entitled Nutjob

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 15th June 2020 at 01:18 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 02:35 PM   #50
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Pretty sure the only literal Karens who are complaining about this are the ones who are also exactly the figurative Karens this figure of speech was coined for.

For whom this figure of speech was coined.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 02:37 PM   #51
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Obviously not, or we'd have an acronym instead of an epithet already.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 02:46 PM   #52
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Rent free.

Also, the World Meteorological Association chooses names by committee for lists that are strictly followed in rotation.

Names are retired when the death toll is very high, for reasons of sensitivity. So Hitler would be an obvious bad choice.

Also, hurricanes are not named after specific individuals.

https://public.wmo.int/en/our-mandat...yclones/Naming

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/storm-names.html
Old 15th June 2020, 02:51 PM   #53
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Funnily enough, naming hurricanes with people names does make them easier to remember.
Old 15th June 2020, 03:16 PM   #54
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Works the other way round, too! Norman "Hurricane" Smith (Wikipedia)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 03:42 PM   #55
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
How about Kook-Arsed, Rude, Entitled Nutjob
How about uppity white bitch?

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 04:46 PM   #56
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Funny story on that subject.

The UK weather service started naming major storms that weren't cyclones and hit the bright idea of selling sponsorship of the names, so you could have "Storm McDonald's".

The first one they tried was bad enough to kill a load of people.

I would have thought the simplest way to name cyclone systems would be 2020/1, 2 etc.

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
I agree that many of the more vocal supporters of social justice are quite often as ignorant as the people they're striving to diminish. They only see in black and white, ironically, you're either with them 100% of the way or you're a racist homophobe who probably eats kids, kicks puppies and listens to Gary Glitter.
Bingo.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Pretty sure the only literal Karens who are complaining about this are the ones who are also exactly the figurative Karens this figure of speech was coined for.

For whom this figure of speech was coined.
Did you ever apply for Randi's mio?
Old 15th June 2020, 04:59 PM   #57
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Randi's awarding Kraft drink mix prizes for tautologies? I honestly did not know that.
Old 15th June 2020, 05:04 PM   #58
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

One of the ladies at my work changed her hair recently. Got rid of her usual blond asymmetrical bob (the trope-fitting Karen do) and now has her hair longer, straight, and brunette. I think she did it because she doesn't want to be associated with that meme.

It's rather sad, really, because I'd noticed before the meme was born that that particular hairstyle actually suited her very well. Like all hairstyles, it works on some people, it's all based on the shape of the face and head.
Old 15th June 2020, 05:24 PM   #59
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Is she middle aged?

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 05:28 PM   #60
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I can't fathom the level of existential dread required for anyone to think they themself are a Mary Sue.
She not only saved the Enterprise when all seemed lost, but she had great sex with both Spock and Kirk before dying tragically young and beautiful.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 05:46 PM   #61
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

More seriously: Think about it.

Either you're an easygoing person with a sense of humor, who doesn't take things personally or hold irrational grudges... Or you're the kind of person who carries a massive sense of unearned entitlement and perceives everything as a personal slight - i.e., a "Karen".

The term was coined exactly for this kind of person.
Old 15th June 2020, 05:56 PM   #62
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Is she middle aged?
Yep. A bit pudgy, too. Visually she fit, before the hair change, the Karen meme to a T. But not personality wise, she's extremely nice.
Old 15th June 2020, 05:58 PM   #63
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Randi's awarding Kraft drink mix prizes for tautologies? I honestly did not know that.
Tautology? I don't recall seeing any. It looked like clairvoyance.

(I always capitalise proper nouns, so you should have known it wasn't that - check my custom title)
Old 15th June 2020, 05:59 PM   #64
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Yep. A bit pudgy, too. Visually she fit, before the hair change, the Karen meme to a T. But not personality wise, she's extremely nice.
Um... that's not good. Has she ever asked for a manager?

Wollen owns the stage
Old 15th June 2020, 06:02 PM   #65
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Um... that's not good. Has she ever asked for a manager?
I don't know, I only know her at work, I haven't followed her around while she's doing her shopping. But I doubt it, she's very nice to the people she works with, including her own underlings. I can't see a "Karen" being nice to her own underlings.
Old 15th June 2020, 06:15 PM   #66
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I don't know, I only know her at work, I haven't followed her around while she's doing her shopping. But I doubt it, she's very nice to the people she works with, including her own underlings. I can't see a "Karen" being nice to her own underlings.
She may be hiding her inner Karen. Some of these entitled white bitches eventually learn how to keep their mouths shut in polite company.

Wollen owns the stage

Last edited by trustbutverify; 15th June 2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 15th June 2020, 06:16 PM   #67
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Tautology? I don't recall seeing any. It looked like clairvoyance.
It's a tautology. The term was coined to describe exactly the kind of person who would complain about it because it also happens to be their name.
Old 15th June 2020, 06:52 PM   #68
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

One of the ladies at my work changed her hair recently... I think she did it because she doesn't want to be associated with that meme.
I've been there, just with a different couple of memes. I'm stuck with rather curly hair for a white man, and grew up in an era when that meant getting harassed about it at school constantly(complete with accusations of using products I'd never even heard of otherwise like something called "Jerry Curl".) The only possible role a character in a TV shows or movie could have with this hair is the goofy sidekick whose job is to make the audience laugh at him and help the real hero seem better by comparison, which meant not only seeing that stuff myself but also being constantly reminded of it by the other kids making the obviously hilarious comparisons... which is an extra thing that doesn't apply to karen hair because it's not being used for karen symbolism on-screen (yet). And I depended on my parents to get me out for haircuts and they'd always find ways to delay it for weeks so it would get extra-huge. And my mother would try to tell me it was good in the horrifying ways that only a mother could think sounded good, but then both parents would always be on my case to do something else with it to make it look different from whatever it looked like at that moment (as long as it doesn't get cut, no never not that!), which equaled admitting it was already bad to start with, when they knew perfectly well that combs & brushes had no effect on it except maybe to make it even worse anyway so the only thing that would really help was cutting it which they'd block me from having done...

So of course, as soon as I had any choice about it, I buzzed it all off and kept doing so for practically my entire adult life since then... which just walked me into another new meme, because everybody knows that a young white man with his hair buzzed off must be looking for an excuse for violence at any time, especially if he also happens to be stocky so the only general physique types he can choose from are muscular and fat, not average or skinny. Again, back to movies & TV, the only possible characters Neo-Nazis/KKK, hitmen, mercenaries, the worst of the bad cops, former military members who have cracked or are about to crack... plus maybe an occasional gun-obsessed hillbilly or athlete who keeps getting kicked out for violence on the field. In real life, I've had people literally get scared of me or accuse me of losing my temper on sight before I had a chance to do or say anything, and had co-workers who knew how harmless I am think it was hilarious that the guy in the "what to do in a workplace shooting incident" video supposedly looked just like me. I kept putting up with it only because the alternative was the clown hair.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 07:42 PM   #69
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

It's a tautology. The term was coined to describe exactly the kind of person who would complain about it because it also happens to be their name.
Nope - you're either getting your terms mixed up, or the person who coined that usage was an idiot.
Old 16th June 2020, 07:36 AM   #70
dann
Penultimate Amazing

No need to be sexist anymore: Crowd chanting “go home” to what they call Mr. Karen (Guardian, June 16, 2020).
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2020, 07:49 AM   #71
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Okay, so I may have helped kick off some of this debate with my posts in the "Arizona Karen" thread. And while I do think the Karen meme is a bit out of control, and I definitely dislike the "haircut" portion and find it sexist and unnecessary, I've come to see that it's not that big of a deal overall.

I also had a moment of self-awareness where I saw the conversation from others' points of view. People were in that thread talking about inexcusably racist behaviors, and then I came barging in with complaints about the terminology they were using to describe the racist. Yes, I was making a general complaint and not defending that specific woman, but my timing was tone-deaf as hell. It wasn't well thought-out, and in the scheme of things, the problem isn't that severe. So while I still think the comparison to names like "John" is shaky, I'm giving up worrying about the issue. The meme will burn itself out eventually, just like "arrow to the knee," and the Karen-concept will remain as something that must be dealt with.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 16th June 2020, 08:02 AM   #72
dann
Penultimate Amazing

It's easy to see how it can be annoying to all the nice women out there called Karen, but they'll probably be able to turn it into a joke. The Karen Karens probably won't.
Old 16th June 2020, 08:11 AM   #73
Random
Illuminator

There are several places that do that. I think it's wrong, naming one's child should be left up to whoever's responsible for that child. That way the child can resent the right people.
There are over 4000 names on Iceland's list of approved names so far, and parents can apply to have another one added (not sure about selection criteria), so you have to really work at it to get one that causes a court case.
Old 16th June 2020, 08:18 AM   #74
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Random View Post
There are over 4000 names on Iceland's list of approved names so far, and parents can apply to have another one added (not sure about selection criteria), so you have to really work at it to get one that causes a court case.
I'm objecting on principle, not on the number of choices on the state-approved array.
Old 16th June 2020, 08:21 AM   #75
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Nope - you're either getting your terms mixed up, or the person who coined that usage was an idiot.
I think the more likely explanation is that you're ignorant of how the term is actually used by the people who deal with Karens every day in their jobs.
Old 16th June 2020, 08:22 AM   #76
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

(I always capitalise proper nouns, so you should have known it wasn't that - check my custom title)
(I think it's understandable that I don't trust the orthographic diligence and consistency of someone who lets slip a typo like "mio" for "mil".)
Old 16th June 2020, 08:52 AM   #77
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
It's easy to see how it can be annoying to all the nice women out there called Karen, but they'll probably be able to turn it into a joke. The Karen Karens probably won't.
They'll be all right. They'll find the Karen Karen Karens.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2020, 08:56 AM   #78
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Funnily enough, naming hurricanes with people names does make them easier to remember.
Until you've used the same name a few times and then it's hard to keep track, unless you refer to them with names like Hurricane Malcolm the third, or Hurricane Jane part deux.

Old 16th June 2020, 09:01 AM   #79
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Hurricane Leone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudatifilius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache was surprisingly mild.
Old 16th June 2020, 09:05 AM   #80
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
So of course, as soon as I had any choice about it, I buzzed it all off and kept doing so for practically my entire adult life since then... which just walked me into another new meme, because everybody knows that a young white man with his hair buzzed off must be looking for an excuse for violence at any time, especially if he also happens to be stocky so the only general physique types he can choose from are muscular and fat, not average or skinny. Again, back to movies & TV, the only possible characters Neo-Nazis/KKK, hitmen, mercenaries, the worst of the bad cops, former military members who have cracked or are about to crack... plus maybe an occasional gun-obsessed hillbilly or athlete who keeps getting kicked out for violence on the field. In real life, I've had people literally get scared of me or accuse me of losing my temper on sight before I had a chance to do or say anything, and had co-workers who knew how harmless I am think it was hilarious that the guy in the "what to do in a workplace shooting incident" video supposedly looked just like me. I kept putting up with it only because the alternative was the clown hair.
That's what's funny about society. They bleat on about not judging people by their appearance and that's exactly what everyone does anyway. It's not a bad thing to do, though, we all make those judgments. If you're walking down a dimly-lit street at night and a group of hooded males are walking your way, you're instantly making a natural judgment in order to assess the situation. So when people harp on about not being judgmental, they're generally lying through their teeth.

As far as shaving your head goes, I had long hair as an early teen, got hunted down for it by white and black kids, because I was different, in a school where kids didn't generally have long hair or listen to anything other than rap or dance music. Then when I began shaving my head I noticed people looking at me differently again and assuming I was in the NF, lol, so you honestly can't win with everyone, and frankly, who cares? I take everyone as they come, and I don't judge anyone based on what somebody else tells me. If I get along with you, then that's good enough for me, if I don't, then to hell with you.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events