ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags shooting incidents

Old 6th July 2020, 11:23 PM   #1
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Another Mall Shooting

This time at Riverchase Galleria in Hooper, Alabama.

A marginalized man got into an argument with five other marginalized men and they decided it best to pull out their guns and bang it out right there in the middle of the mall.

The sad part is not one of the mother ******* participating in the shootout were hit, but an eight-year-old boy was shot in the head and killed. Three bystanders were also shot.

Victim–

Killer–

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2...en-sought.html

Since this type of thing happens on a fairly regular basis, I am left with one question: Will the culture of violence bring the demise of America's malls before Amazon does?

Last edited by Bogative; 6th July 2020 at 11:36 PM.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 12:10 AM   #2
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Hmmm. I'm thinking we should ban all hand guns.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 12:12 AM   #3
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Yes, this. A couple of indigents trying to pummel each other with raggedy shoes and gloves is far less likely to result in a bystander being shot in the head by accident.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 04:11 AM   #4
Wolrab
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I'd be surprised if any of the shooters had guns that weren't already illegal. Maybe they should take an illegal shooting course so they can do the work of the soon to be defunded police. I'd be willing to wager that more children are "accidentally"* killed by criminals than police.

*This shooting was no accident. It was the result of indiscriminate gunfire in a public place.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 06:25 AM   #5
Bogative
Graduate Poster

And another.
Quote:
Police: One charged, another wanted in shooting at Haywood Mall parking garage.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ge/ar-BB16lbDL

I'm thinking a thread title change to "Today's Mall Shooting" may be needed.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 08:12 PM   #6
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Here's one that happened semi-locally and what brought my attention to how often these types of shootings occur when I googled "mall shooting."

This occurred at the Capitol Mall in Jefferson City, Missouri during a carnival in the parking lot.

Quote:
We learned Wednesday that convicted felon Jernail Hickmon was arrested. He allegedly had a gun on him matching the one used in the shooting on June 26.

Video allegedly shows Hickmon shooting at a car during a carnival outside the mall last week.

The cherry on the top of this cake came about when the mother of one of the girls involved in the fight drove around town throwing Molotov cocktails at the residents of some of the people involved in the fight with her daughter.

Quote:
The mother of a girl involved in that fight is in jail too, on arson charges. Iasha Cannady allegedly threw Molotov cocktails at a couple Jefferson City homes as payback.
https://939theeagle.com/arrest-made-...l-shots-fired/
Old 13th July 2020, 11:13 AM   #7
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Another

Quote:
According to the City of Westland Police Department, two or three Black males began arguing inside a perfume store in the mall, which is located at 35000 Warren Road. After the argument ensued, one of the men pulled a handgun and fired two shots, and all of them fled the mall on foot, police said.

Must've been gang violence over the lucrative perfume trade.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ay/5412192002/

ETA: another one to add.

Quote:
According to the Tallahassee Police Department, officers responded to the Governor’s Square Mall to investigate a report of people exchanging gunfire from two vehicles in the parking lot around 2:45 p.m. on Saturday.

After shooting at each other, police say both vehicles left the area.

https://www.wtxl.com/news/local-news...-investigating

Last edited by Bogative; 13th July 2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 13th July 2020, 01:02 PM   #8
AnonyMoose
Muse

In the good old days, one used to resolve one's issues at 3:30pm...

... in the parking lot behind the gym
... with one's fists
... or with one's effervescently irresistible charm and wit.
Old 13th July 2020, 02:18 PM   #9
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
I'd be surprised if any of the shooters had guns that weren't already illegal.
I would be more surprised if they hadn't acquired the guns through technically "legal" means, like gun shows or private sales where documentation and diligence aren't required.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2020, 03:33 PM   #10
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Today we head to Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

Quote:
No evidence suggested anyone was shot, but surveillance video showed two groups of men were involved in an argument in the moments leading up to the shooting.

During the argument, police say Jameel Ryheim Zimmerman Jr., 20, of High Point, pulled a gun and shot multiple rounds at the other group.

Another man then returned fire before both groups left.
Old 17th July 2020, 06:55 AM   #11
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Davenport, Iowa this time.

Quote:
The news release said there apparently was a dispute between two groups of people, and the situation escalated with shots being fired.

https://qctimes.com/news/local/polic...65d3ef84a.html
Old 17th July 2020, 07:01 AM   #12
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

OP, I recently saw you say that people here (ISF) think you're racist because you are white. Maybe they actually think that because you keep collecting articles about black people doing bad stuff and then just sort of not making a point about it.
Old 17th July 2020, 08:22 AM   #13
Wolrab
Illuminator

The thread is mall shootings. The latest article doesn't mention any race.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 03:02 PM   #14
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Centerville, Georgia this time.

Quote:
He says it started as a fight in the mall and then mall security broke the fight up and pushed them outside.

Once they were outside, shots were fired. No one was hit by gunfire, but Hadden says they found seven shell casings and that one car in the parking lot has a broken window and another has a flat tire.
https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/...1-f614a03dd5d7
Old 19th July 2020, 07:04 PM   #15
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Busy weekend.

Columbus, Ohio
Quote:
Columbus Police said officers responded to a call for a shooting at the mall at approximately 2:45 p.m.

Officers found the victim suffering several gunshot wounds to his lower extremities. He was taken to a local hospital and is expected to recover from his injuries.

Davenport, Iowa
Quote:
Davenport Police say two people are injured after a shots fired incident at NorthPark Mall late Thursday afternoon. Police believe “a dispute between two groups of subjects” is what resulted in shots being fired.

Savannah, Georgia
Quote:
A police spokesperson says that two people inside of the Jimmy Jazz Shoe store got into a fight. One of them pulled out a gun and fired. The two then fled.
Old 19th July 2020, 07:11 PM   #16
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Know what the common ingredient is? Malls? Homelessness? Sobriety? Race? Skin colour? Height above sea-level?

Nope.

This Venn diagram has a 100% intersection on "guns". So perhaps we can start to draw a conclusion here...

Who knew.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2020, 07:26 PM   #17
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Know what the common ingredient is? Malls? Homelessness? Sobriety? Race? Skin colour? Height above sea-level?

Nope.

This Venn diagram has a 100% intersection on "guns". So perhaps we can start to draw a conclusion here...

Who knew.
Well...yeah. A common denominator in...shootings...would be guns, yeah.

But I live in gun-happy USA, and go to the mall on occasion. I don't get into shootouts. There is something more than just the guns; it is the inclination and willingness to use them to resolve petty disputes. That says more about the user than the tool. Why are some Americans so willing to kill each other? To yours truly, there is almost nothing that would make me want to end a human life. These guys want to do so over arguments at the perfume counter.

It is the people. Killers on the hoof.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2020, 08:18 PM   #18
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Well...yeah. A common denominator in...shootings...would be guns, yeah.

But I live in gun-happy USA, and go to the mall on occasion. I don't get into shootouts. There is something more than just the guns; it is the inclination and willingness to use them to resolve petty disputes. That says more about the user than the tool. Why are some Americans so willing to kill each other? To yours truly, there is almost nothing that would make me want to end a human life. These guys want to do so over arguments at the perfume counter.

It is the people. Killers on the hoof.
I hardly think Americans are unique when it comes to wanting to bust someone in the chops in public for some reason or another. There's plenty of ultra-aggro folks the world over, and honestly, race, colour, creed and almost any other human attributes don't matter. It's the ridiculously easy access to fast, efficient killing machines that is the problem. The USA is hardly unique in that either, and the same problem exists elsewhere just as much.
Old 19th July 2020, 08:41 PM   #19
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I hardly think Americans are unique when it comes to wanting to bust someone in the chops in public for some reason or another.
I hear you, but we're not talking about busting someone in the chops. As you say, we all want to do that sometimes. We are talking about conciously and deliberately buying the killing tool, its ammunition, bringing it with you, then using it on whatever pretense. This is all about premeditation and preparation to kill, not just wanting to bust chops. Every preparation is made beforehand to take a human life, then just waiting for the target.

Quote:
There's plenty of ultra-aggro folks the world over, and honestly, race, colour, creed and almost any other human attributes don't matter. It's the ridiculously easy access to fast, efficient killing machines that is the problem. The USA is hardly unique in that either, and the same problem exists elsewhere just as much.
You seem to be saying that other people, with less access to guns, are equally prepared to kill. What similar preparations do they make?

What happens when they go into killing mode? They just give up, because a convenient tool isn't around? I think actual killers are not so easily deterred, and easy to sway. I think the decision to be a killer, which is made long in advance, is not being taken seriously in a lot of these discussions. Yes, guns make it easier. But there is nothing impulsive about the preparations. They show a calculated premeditation to take human life.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2020, 09:26 PM   #20
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I hear you, but we're not talking about busting someone in the chops. As you say, we all want to do that sometimes. We are talking about conciously and deliberately buying the killing tool, its ammunition, bringing it with you, then using it on whatever pretense. This is all about premeditation and preparation to kill, not just wanting to bust chops. Every preparation is made beforehand to take a human life, then just waiting for the target.

You seem to be saying that other people, with less access to guns, are equally prepared to kill. What similar preparations do they make?

What happens when they go into killing mode? They just give up, because a convenient tool isn't around? I think actual killers are not so easily deterred, and easy to sway. I think the decision to be a killer, which is made long in advance, is not being taken seriously in a lot of these discussions. Yes, guns make it easier. But there is nothing impulsive about the preparations. They show a calculated premeditation to take human life.
In other cultures arguments like this with people who are willing to use force when they get angry this ends up in fist fights, knifes, idiots using their cars to try to force someone off the road etc.

There is a subset of humanity, regardless of race/religion etc that has anger issues who will in a rage decide to hurt someone with whatever they have to hand. Once in that rage they do not really think or decide, they just do.
And if they have access to the best weapon we devised for killing a lot of people quickly, they will.

It's just that in every other western democracy we've decided that maybe getting such weapons should be very restricted and thus such shootings happen less.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 08:10 PM   #21
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Over to Winston-Salem, South Carolina.

Quote:
Officers responded to the mall Monday afternoon after a report of shots fired inside the mall.

At least two people were detained after foot chases.
https://myfox8.com/news/at-least-2-d...at-hanes-mall/
Old 22nd July 2020, 08:12 PM   #22
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Guilderland, New York at Crossgates Mall, no injuries.

Quote:
Guilderland police received several calls of gunshots fired from inside the mall outside of the Foot Locker shoe store.
https://www.spotlightnews.com/news/2...ossgates-mall/

St. Louis, Missouri. 1 dead, 1 injured.

Quote:
Granda said a dispute began inside the mall between two groups of people and led to the shooting. Granda said the relationship between the two groups of people is not known.
https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/lo...3-31b62419ae7c
Old 27th July 2020, 06:39 PM   #23
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Nope.

Who knew.
These are rival murderous black street gangs having a shootout in "neutral" territory.

I can talk about their guns if you want more facts, or educated speculation.
Old 27th July 2020, 07:35 PM   #24
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
These are rival murderous black street gangs having a shootout in "neutral" territory.

I can talk about their guns if you want more facts, or educated speculation.
Wouldn't it be better to settle this West Side Story style, with a fabulous but extended dance-off?

https://www.stagewhispers.com.au/sit...900-image1.jpg

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 27th July 2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 27th July 2020, 08:16 PM   #25
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Manhasset, Long Island.

Quote:
According to Nassau County Gang Investigations Squad Detectives, 22-year-old Yuri Oluh got into a verbal argument with an unknown Black man around 1:15 p.m. outside the Americana Manhasset.

Police say the dispute escalated and the second suspect pulled out a gun and fired multiple shots at Oluh.
https://abc7ny.com/americana-manhass...squad/6335738/
Old 28th July 2020, 10:15 AM   #26
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Wouldn't it be better to settle this West Side Story style, with a fabulous but extended dance-off?

https://www.stagewhispers.com.au/sit...900-image1.jpg
Violent American street gangs of all colors and stripes once did appear as if they were of West Side Story style. The original story by Arthur Laurents in 1957 is about the existing street gangs of New York City.

The weapon of choice was fists and of course those are always provided for free as a default. Balled fists are handy things.

Carried weapons run the gamut of objects. The seemingly common and iconic weapon would have been a folding knife. The most legendary and practical among the knives would be the switchblade. It's right there in West Side Story as a lethal weapon.

Guns were easily available both legally and illegally. But guns weren't a common weapon either in presence or use by the street gangs.

The street gang mission back then was almost exclusively to inflict injury on your rival enemies, but not death. A form of the "counting coup" thing.

Now the murderous street gangs commonly carry guns and the knife has almost disappeared from street gang culture. The mission is to kill the rival enemy and not to injure them.

There is much more to be said about modern violent street gangs.

Consider this topic to be Modern Anthropology, and know that this is actually science. Most specifically it is Urban Anthropology.

Again I ask; do you want to go there with me?
Old 28th July 2020, 10:21 AM   #27
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

We just had a shooting at the tone-y “Galleria” mall here in St. Louis. One killed, one injured. News reports unclear on the circumstances, but it sounds very much like gang-related.
Massive police response... We even sent a couple of guys for the “active shooter” call.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2020, 10:59 AM   #28
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
We just had a shooting at the tone-y “Galleria” mall here in St. Louis. One killed, one injured. News reports unclear on the circumstances, but it sounds very much like gang-related.
Massive police response... We even sent a couple of guys for the “active shooter” call.
The proper term is tony, but it isn't used much.

Yes, this is murderous black gang stuff. Also nearly all of the newer mass shootings (in our Mass Shooting) are black gang. This wasn't really the case until Bogative started posting them there.

Do you find this incident to be odd or remarkable because it happened at a tony mall?
Old 29th July 2020, 08:45 AM   #29
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

The Galleria, home to high-end stores like Saks, Nieman-Marcus, etc, has long engaged in a certain amount of hand-wringing along the lines of what to do about “those” people.

On one hand, they do actually spend money. On the other hand, they also like to shoplift quite a bit, or just do “grab and run” thefts with high-end merch.

There have been a number of other shooting incidents at the mall, but confined to the parking and garage areas. I believe this is the first one that involved a homicide.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 10:51 AM   #30
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
The Galleria, home to high-end stores like Saks, Nieman-Marcus, etc, has long engaged in a certain amount of hand-wringing along the lines of what to do about “those” people.

On one hand, they do actually spend money. On the other hand, they also like to shoplift quite a bit, or just do “grab and run” thefts with high-end merch.

There have been a number of other shooting incidents at the mall, but confined to the parking and garage areas. I believe this is the first one that involved a homicide.
NM is bankrupt right now. They won't survive the pandemic. Are they still open at The Galleria?

It's easy for Security Guards to profile likely shoplifters and stay focused on them. But the shoplifters have some advanced tactics which do defeat the cashiers and loss-prevention guards. Pepper spray to the cashiers/guards face is showing itself as an upcoming trend in theft strategy and tactics.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events