ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th July 2020, 02:04 PM   #81
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
I'm saying that your experiences are yours, you as an individual and if you feel that way then I wish people could help you to sort it.
I don't need help. You need help sorting out why you feel the need to imply a woman isn't right in the head for being cautious around men. I suggest a therapist.

*Parrot Mason's mask courtesy of alfaniner*
MoeFaux is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 02:08 PM   #82
p0lka
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MoeFaux View Post
I'd like to say I'm laughing without fear, being behind a mask, being behind an internet profile. But let's not forget Gamergate!

Again, I specifically added about how my experience wasn't unique to me to address the response some men have when hearing about what it's like to be a woman.

And yes, I will continue to "label" you "as a man" because you are being absolutely ridiculous, a joke. A stereotype of a man, the 'not all men' man, the ignorant man, the man without empathy. There's plenty of men here who aren't like that. But you are! So, hah!
We need a poll,
your war fantasies whilst getting a tin of beans are not typical to women, just you.

Now we need to find a lot of women.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 02:19 PM   #83
p0lka
Master Poster

Actually, p0lka, I don't have a read on you, I don't know where you stand on other things. Maybe it's unfair to use a large 'man' brush on you, maybe we've encountered one another elsewhere on the Forum and have been friendly with one another. But, that's not what's happening here.

Besides, the response a friend gives when their friend tells them about an experience they had is to stop, listen, acknowledge, and to try and understand. That's not what you did. You defended All Men and implied there was something wrong with me and/or my perception of what transpired. I can't say that's very friendly. Honestly, it puts me on the defensive. And therefore, I will react with laughter. Just in case anyone wondered why I was laughing in your face.
Oh, my kids mum got annoyed when she told me the puppy was in the vets and I started talking about solutions, possible causes etc.

Then I got a horrible message from her the next day that made me feel bad and she fell out with me for weeks,
is that what you mean by the highlighted?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 02:25 PM   #84
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Oh, my kids mum got annoyed when she told me the puppy was in the vets and I started talking about solutions, possible causes etc.
No, she didn't. You're wrong about what you think you experienced. It wasn't like that at all, you're imagining things.
Old 29th July 2020, 02:30 PM   #85
EHocking
Philosopher

I don't need help. You need help sorting out why you feel the need to imply a woman isn't right in the head for being cautious around men. I suggest a therapist.
There are those that get you MoFaux - but some don't get it if they've not experienced it.
I haven't first hand, but I get it now after talking to women (funny how that works).
This from another thread (edited)
[ANECDOTE ALERT]
Originally Posted by EHocking;
...Most of us men simply don’t have the experience of being constantly harassed by strangers when out in public. If we were exposed to the same harassment, perhaps we might be able to change our dismissive attitude to “just” hand gestures.

I once sat by my wife and two nieces relating their experiences. Probably started by me talking about something I’d seen while commuting on public transport.

It was not the severity of the harassment that these three women talked about (40, 30, 20 yrs) that horrified me, and some stories did relate to actual physical assault, what horrified me the most was the frequency of the harassment they had to deal with. They practically run a daily gauntlet of harassment.

We (men) can afford to be dismissive of “just” a bit of a creep following them home, or “just” a leer, or “just” a hand gesture, or “just” an up skirt photo, “just” a hand on your arse, “just” brushing up against you on a crowded train - because it does not happen to us on practically a daily basis.

This is not an exaggeration for effect.

That sideways glance you give that cute young girl walking along the street?
Imagine experiencing that every time you go outside to walk to work, or go shopping or go out with your friends.
This is something that (most) men just don’t have to endure.

I thought I was pretty aware (I refuse to use “woke”), but I had my eyelids not just opened, but ripped apart after hearing my wife and nieces relating the unease and fear that they are subjected to on nearly a daily basis.

Any men here, speak to any girl or woman in your life about this - and I mean keep your mouth shut and your opinions to yourself and listen to them.
You will be horrified and hopefully you will reassess (at least) how you behave in public and hopefully your reaction and assessment of stories like that in the OP.
[/ANECDOTE ALERT]
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 02:30 PM   #86
p0lka
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
No, she didn't. You're wrong about what you think you experienced. It wasn't like that at all, you're imagining things.
Well you have an upside down potato as an avatar, so what do you know.
Old 29th July 2020, 02:31 PM   #87
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 02:35 PM   #88
p0lka
Master Poster

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
There are those that get you MoFaux - but some don't get it if they've not experienced it.
I haven't first hand, but I get it now after talking to women (funny how that works).
This from another thread (edited)
[ANECDOTE ALERT]
[/ANECDOTE ALERT]
/claps
All women? or just some of them?
Old 29th July 2020, 02:37 PM   #89
EHocking
Philosopher

/claps
All women? or just some of them?
All women I have spoken to about it.

Your wife saying it hasn't happened to her is not "all women" either.
See how that works?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 02:52 PM   #90
p0lka
Master Poster

See how that works?
Seriously?
All the women you have spoken to, see nothing strange about reacting to someone cutting in a queue,
with a full out don't look em in the eye retreat to the parking lot then avoid eye contact in case of manly punishment for being assertive
mentality?

Not buying it.

where the hell do you people live, it aint down the road from me.

Last edited by p0lka; 29th July 2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 29th July 2020, 03:04 PM   #91
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

A rather hawt female friend of my wife's once described being around a bunch of guys thusly: imagine you (6 foot guy) were surrounded by 7 foot tall NFL linemen...half of whom openly want to **** you. That was a real eye opener for me. I never thought of myself as intimidating, but if you get guys laying their Rico Suave' on you enough, it might seem that way. I mean, I'm on my toes when guys are around that I think could take me out. Must be a lot more threatening when its virtually half the population.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 03:11 PM   #92
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Still laughing. Was reminded of the artist Shelby Lorman, who makes a living out of responding to this kind of thing via cartoons. She made a book! It's called "Awards For Good Boys."

Good thing this isn't all in her head!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0902.jpg (59.7 KB, 6 views)

MoeFaux is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 03:19 PM   #93
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Penguin published Lorman's book last year. It's almost as if women have experienced a collective, subtle lifetime of this for there to be a market for laughing at men's poor responses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0900.jpg (31.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0904.jpg (59.8 KB, 7 views)

Old 29th July 2020, 03:19 PM   #94
p0lka
Master Poster

Still laughing. Was reminded of the artist Shelby Lorman, who makes a living out of responding to this kind of thing via cartoons. She made a book! It's called "Awards For Good Boys."

Good thing this isn't all in her head!
I have to say
Besides, the response a friend gives when their friend tells them about an experience they had is to stop, listen, acknowledge, and to try and understand. That's not what you did.
I'm 51 and you pointed out something I'll keep with me from now on. Thanks.

Still wrong to speak for every woman though.

Last edited by p0lka; 29th July 2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old 29th July 2020, 03:21 PM   #95
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Anyhow! Here's a cartoon relevant to my initial post about how great it is to not have to smile at men now that I'm wearing a mask!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0898.jpg (43.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0899.jpg (32.0 KB, 8 views)

Old 29th July 2020, 03:22 PM   #96
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

I have to say

I'm 51 and you pointed out something I'll keep with me from now on. Thanks.
Cheers, mate.

Old 29th July 2020, 03:27 PM   #97
p0lka
Master Poster

Still wrong to speak for every woman though. It's you.
Old 29th July 2020, 03:45 PM   #98
EHocking
Philosopher

Seriously?
All the women you have spoken to, see nothing strange about reacting to someone cutting in a queue,
with a full out don't look em in the eye retreat to the parking lot then avoid eye contact in case of manly punishment for being assertive
mentality?

Not buying it.

where the hell do you people live, it aint down the road from me.
Nice strawman.
How about addressing the actual content of my post instead?
Old 29th July 2020, 03:51 PM   #99
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

I... talked to my therapist about it later.
The part that I am the most curious about now is the therapist's response.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 04:08 PM   #100
RolandRat
Critical Thinker

Just wanted to add, by the way: fear of men doesn't ever end! It doesn't end when a woman "stops being attractive" or gets old! I'm reminded of this every year when I read about yet another young man raping a geriatric woman!
Oh get a grip. If you want to live your life in fear then go for it, just stop pretending the entire male gender is out to make your life hell. It's pathetic.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 04:22 PM   #101
p0lka
Master Poster

Nice strawman.
How about addressing the actual content of my post instead?
The post I replied to was this,

See how that works?
Feel free to point me to any content I missed,

Please do read the thread though,
I miss parts of it all the time just cos I went out and did a daily shop.
Old 29th July 2020, 04:29 PM   #102
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

I agree that there's a lot of "not getting" other people's perspectives here, but it's not because of lack of comparable experience or awareness of what the real-world issues are. People can also fail to "get" each other's perspectives because they respond differently to the same or similar things, based on internal differences in how their minds handle things, not just based on experience.

Somewhere in here, there's a thing about the age at which one began to fear rape. The given number was 10. I was 11 when I began actually getting physically assaulted on a regular basis. These attacks weren't sexual, but they were real, and frequent, not just feared. The general mentality with which I go through my life about such things now is significantly less than MoeFaux's anyway. And that particular comparison of one individual to another individual is not exceptional but actually the general rule: men are more often victims of violence than women are, but seem to usually have less-life-altering responses to it. So the difference is not just a matter of experience; it's something deeper in our internal processes that affects how we react to our experiences.

That's why a list of reactions somebody has to something is not evidence of the nature of the thing they're reacting to, which someone has tried to use one for at least once in this thread; it's only evidence of the state of mind of the person doing the reacting... which in turn is why it doesn't make much sense to try to dissuade someone from their thinking on such a subject. Such an argument would fundamentally be not about the external facts but about another person's internal ways of handling the available facts, and people tend not to heed the latter kind of argument very much.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 04:40 PM   #103
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Still wrong to speak for every woman though. It's you.
First rule of holes: When you're in one, stop digging.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 04:41 PM   #104
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Oh get a grip. If you want to live your life in fear then go for it, just stop pretending the entire male gender is out to make your life hell. It's pathetic.
Oh look! A new hole. I do so enjoy watching people dig themselves into holes.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 04:42 PM   #105
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
First rule of holes: When you're in one, stop digging.
That's not the first rule of holes. The first rule of holes is "by invitation only".
Old 29th July 2020, 04:54 PM   #106
RolandRat
Critical Thinker

Yes, yes, I'm a man. I get it, how dare I comment. This poor women is getting smiled at and is fearing for her life..
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 04:57 PM   #107
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

pathetic.
Add this to the list of "Things men called me after recounting my experience as a woman!"

Old 29th July 2020, 04:58 PM   #108
p0lka
Master Poster

They aint holes, they're just bumps in the opposite direction.
Old 29th July 2020, 04:58 PM   #109
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

This is just so funny.

Thanks!

Old 29th July 2020, 05:01 PM   #110
RolandRat
Critical Thinker

This is just so funny.

Thanks!
I'm glad it amused you, that's what I was going for. After your over the top, hyperbolic comments in this thread I guessed comedy was the theme.
Old 29th July 2020, 05:13 PM   #111
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
The part that I am the most curious about now is the therapist's response.
She is a woman. She didn't need to have it explained to her why a man cutting in front of me was irritating, and when I told her how great it felt to not have a hint of deference to the man, boldly walking by him, she understood. She said, "Good for you!" Because it is a win when a woman can act like a man in a man's world.

(See: women claiming space like men do by 'manspreading' on subway cars. A female victory! Something some men can't understand as being a big deal, but which feels awesome as woman to do!)

Imagine the classic horror movie scene of the character running to the car, away from the monster, and shivering with fear as they slam the lock down, try to start a car that won't start and then brace themselves for the potential attack from said horror movie monster. Why don't we just recut that scene, that movie trope scene, and have the character (who miraculously survives in this cut) recount the scene later to a man! "Why did you run to your can? What were you running for? Why did you lock the car door? Why were you afraid? It wAs JuSt tHe baTTery, n0 biG dEaL!" Well maybe, Kyle, the character was afraid for an actual, valid reason! Sorry you weren't around to see why, but just trust us on this one!

Old 29th July 2020, 05:14 PM   #112
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

I'm glad it amused you, that's what I was going for. After your over the top, hyperbolic comments in this thread I guessed comedy was the theme.
I'm definitely laughing. Don't forget to add "hysterical!"

Old 29th July 2020, 05:27 PM   #113
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Tell me again how wrong I am for being cautious when right here I am getting these men in a tizzy just for recounting something that happened. Not like violence against women happens all the time, or anything.

I take all comers. Come at me. Let me laugh at you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0901.jpg (46.4 KB, 5 views)

Old 29th July 2020, 05:37 PM   #114
p0lka
Master Poster

Yes, yes, I'm a man. I get it, how dare I comment. This poor women is getting smiled at and is fearing for her life..
It seems to be more than that,
women are being trained to know who to smile to, from a young age.
I think sugar is involved.
I hope they're not t1 diabetic.
Old 29th July 2020, 05:59 PM   #115
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I WILL CONTINUE TO LAUGH.

(It's visually obscured by my mask, but you can still hear it!!)
I just noticed your signature. **blush** my pleasure.
Old 29th July 2020, 06:15 PM   #116
p0lka
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I agree that there's a lot of "not getting" other people's perspectives here, but it's not because of lack of comparable experience or awareness of what the real-world issues are. People can also fail to "get" each other's perspectives because they respond differently to the same or similar things, based on internal differences in how their minds handle things, not just based on experience.

Somewhere in here, there's a thing about the age at which one began to fear rape. The given number was 10. I was 11 when I began actually getting physically assaulted on a regular basis. These attacks weren't sexual, but they were real, and frequent, not just feared. The general mentality with which I go through my life about such things now is significantly less than MoeFaux's anyway. And that particular comparison of one individual to another individual is not exceptional but actually the general rule: men are more often victims of violence than women are, but seem to usually have less-life-altering responses to it. So the difference is not just a matter of experience; it's something deeper in our internal processes that affects how we react to our experiences.

That's why a list of reactions somebody has to something is not evidence of the nature of the thing they're reacting to, which someone has tried to use one for at least once in this thread; it's only evidence of the state of mind of the person doing the reacting... which in turn is why it doesn't make much sense to try to dissuade someone from their thinking on such a subject. Such an argument would fundamentally be not about the external facts but about another person's internal ways of handling the available facts, and people tend not to heed the latter kind of argument very much.
Thanks for that post, given me stuff to think about.
Old 29th July 2020, 07:47 PM   #117
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Unintended result of wearing a mask?

Apparently, getting the coronavirus is a result of wearing a mask.
louie-gohmert-tests-positive-coronavirus
Quote:
"I can't help but wonder if by keeping a mask on and keeping it in place, that if I might have put some germs or some of the virus onto the mask and breathed it in," Gohmert said.
Old 29th July 2020, 07:51 PM   #118
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Quote:
"I can't help but think that if I hadn't been wearing a mask so much in the last 10 days or so, I really wonder if I would have gotten it," Gohmert added. "You know, moving the mask around, getting it just right, we're bound to put some virus on the mask that I sucked in. That's most likely what happened."
Yeah, getting coronavirus may indeed be a consequence of wearing a mask improperly.

- Randall Munroe
Old 29th July 2020, 07:54 PM   #119
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Unintended result of wearing a mask?

Apparently, getting the coronavirus is a result of wearing a mask.
louie-gohmert-tests-positive-coronavirus
Savor the stupid in this one...swish it around in your mouth...indulge yourself in the heady aroma...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 07:59 PM   #120
RolandRat
Critical Thinker

Tell me again how wrong I am for being cautious when right here I am getting these men in a tizzy just for recounting something that happened. Not like violence against women happens all the time, or anything.

I take all comers. Come at me. Let me laugh at you.
You think because a couple of people here aren't taking your hyperbole seriously means that you are right in treating all men as predators because they smile at you?

And yeah it's not like violence against men happens all the time or anything...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events