ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida incidents , Luis Santos , racism incidents

Old 30th July 2020, 12:03 PM   #1
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Man illegally "detains" black teen, accuses him of stealing own bicycle

A Florida teenager was bicycling to basketball practice early on the morning of June 9th when he was stopped by a man in a vehicle who told him "you're not going anywhere" and demanded to know why he was outside at that time of day. The man, Luis Santos, then got out of his vehicle and implied the teen was under some kind of arrest as he dialed 911.

Quote:
“You’re being detained,” the man says in the video that he recorded.

He then gets out of his vehicle and detains the boy.

“I’m sorry,” the teen says.

“You’re sorry?” Santos asks.

Later, Santos called 911 and said, “I have somebody breaking into cars. We have it on video.”

When a 911 operator asks the teen’s race, the man replies, “he’s a Black guy.”

The teen was never accused of that crime, the state attorney’s office said.

“You stay right where you at!” the man yells at the teen, as heard on the 911 call.

“I think he stole one of the bikes,” Santos said to the 911 operator.

He later identified himself to the 911 operator as an off-duty officer.

According to prosecutors, Santos also compelled the teen to put his hands up and held his hand near his pocket, perhaps attempting to indicate that he had a gun.

“The victim was visibly shaken and hyperventilating when deputies arrived, with his hands still over his head,” Warren’s office said. “He reasonably believed his life may be in jeopardy if he tried to leave or even move. Santos had no lawful authority to restrain a person in a public place and his own recorded words establish that he was restraining the victim, by threat, against his will.”

After the incident, a Hillsborough County sheriff’s deputy hooked up the teen’s bicycle and drove him to practice, Warren said.
Santos himself took video of the encounter; however, the video in fact does not show the teen "breaking into cars" or committing any other crime, and Santos is not a police officer. The video does, however, implicate Santos as committing false imprisonment, for which he was charged.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 12:24 PM   #2
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Another hero vigilante wrongly vilified by SJWs.
Old 30th July 2020, 12:47 PM   #3
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Damned immigrants taking our jobs again.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 01:06 PM   #4
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Another hero vigilante wrongly vilified by SJWs.
I can't really comment as I'm discriminated against due to being a resident of the "European Economic Area", and can't view the video or read the story.

Wanna walk a mile in my shoes?
Old 30th July 2020, 01:13 PM   #5
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I can't wait to learn why the black kid was in the wrong this time.
Old 30th July 2020, 01:25 PM   #6
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Santos, to police:

"From you, alright? I learned it from watching you".

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 01:31 PM   #7
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I can't really comment as I'm discriminated against due to being a resident of the "European Economic Area", and can't view the video or read the story.

No worries, everything'll be fine on Jan 1.
Old 30th July 2020, 01:35 PM   #8
Venom
Illuminator

smh.

Paranoid racists playing cop.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 01:38 PM   #9
bobdroege7
Illuminator

I need to call the radio station and put this one up for the Germany or Florida game.

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 01:45 PM   #10
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Luis Santos?

This one only gets a narrative fitting score of 92.

Please try cherry picking again.
Old 30th July 2020, 02:05 PM   #11
Venom
Illuminator

Fits the narrative pretty well to me.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 02:12 PM   #12
Checkmite

Pretending for a moment that there's a "narrative" here beyond that of simply a young black male being racially-profiled; in theory a non-white person racially-profiling a black person wouldn't somehow disprove or undermine the "narrative" that white people do this a lot.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 02:16 PM   #13
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Pretending for a moment that there's a "narrative" here beyond that of simply a young black male being racially-profiled; in theory a non-white person racially-profiling a black person wouldn't somehow disprove or undermine the "narrative" that white people do this a lot.
So what are you trying to say?

Older Hispanic men racially profile young black males all the time?
Hispanic men profile other people all the time?
Men in general get profiled all the time?
Old 30th July 2020, 02:32 PM   #14
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I find it extremely puzzling what he thought he was going to achieve by calling the cops on himself and pretending to be an officer.
Old 30th July 2020, 02:39 PM   #15
Checkmite

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post

Perhaps I'm not trying to "say" anything, beyond sharing another article about a shameful incident.
Old 30th July 2020, 03:01 PM   #16
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post

Here are a couple other links to the story, including the DA's press release.
https://www.sao13th.com/2020/07/hill...ball-practice/
https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...tball-practice

So what else can't you access on the far side of the pond?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 03:42 PM   #17
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Ya know... a pitchfork would let you pile that straw much higher.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 03:47 PM   #18
Venom
Illuminator

blacks getting racially profiled by non-blacks.

I'm not a fan of media always putting the skin color of people out there like that, and "Hispanics" can be white, but you see this happen over and over again against black people in the U.S.
Old 30th July 2020, 04:29 PM   #19
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I find it extremely puzzling what he thought he was going to achieve by calling the cops on himself and pretending to be an officer.
That part's a real head-scratcher for sure.

I get some overzealous doofus thinking he has the right to detain a teenager whom he suspects of breaking the law. People push around teenagers all the time. I just don't get the misrepresentation to 9-1-1 operators.

Well, mental illness is often underdiagnosed. Perhaps that offers an explanation.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 04:37 PM   #20
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
That part's a real head-scratcher for sure.

I get some overzealous doofus thinking he has the right to detain a teenager whom he suspects of breaking the law. People push around teenagers all the time. I just don't get the misrepresentation to 9-1-1 operators.

Well, mental illness is often underdiagnosed. Perhaps that offers an explanation.

Bob001's link says Santos was a licenced security officer, who quit the job, but his security officer credentials were still technically valid to refer to himself that way

Old 30th July 2020, 05:10 PM   #21
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Bob001's link says Santos was a licenced security officer, who quit the job, but his security officer credentials were still technically valid to refer to himself that way
I see. "Off duty officer", without specifying "Police officer". Well, I guess so.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 06:14 PM   #22
Checkmite

"Off duty" without specifying this was a more or less permanent status...
Old 30th July 2020, 06:14 PM   #23
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Mr Santos does not sound like a well man. And nothing I've read in the story indicates the kid did anything wrong. Racist incidents certainly can and do happen in America, but I do think it's heartening that stories like this actually make the news these days. I can't imagine it even exciting comment back before the 1960s. We've got roughly 40 million black people having millions of interactions with white every day. And this makes news? That's actually a testament to how well most people get along.

And I will say add that if Mr Santos is not mentally deranged, but is just one of those officious ******** who likes to play cop just because he was a security guard somewhere, I hope he goes to jail and that the kid gets all his assets.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 06:26 PM   #24
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
just one of those officious ******** who likes to play cop just because he was a security guard somewhere,
Or vice-versa. I've had occasion to meet a few security guards who were complete whackers since their teens at least. They often get their start in Explorer posts attached to law enforcement units.
Old 30th July 2020, 06:46 PM   #25
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I see. "Off duty officer", without specifying "Police officer". Well, I guess so.
I'm a "former officer" because I was the vice-president of my 8th grade class.
Old 30th July 2020, 07:09 PM   #26
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

If he said "security officer," maybe, but not if he just said "officer." That would imply police. And a security guard's authority is limited to where they work, not anywhere else. They can't grab people off the street and play cop.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 08:22 PM   #27
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Here are a couple other links to the story, including the DA's press release.

https://www.sao13th.com/2020/07/hill...ball-practice/

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...tball-practice

So what else can't you access on the far side of the pond?
Sounds like the cops who rocked up seem like decent dudes/dudettes
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 08:25 PM   #28
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

To call a Security guard an officer is a joke in un in itself.

I know. I did it as one of my first jobs for a month

It means stand by door an watch boring **** being paid crap
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 08:34 PM   #29
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
If he said "security officer," maybe, but not if he just said "officer." That would imply police. And a security guard's authority is limited to where they work, not anywhere else. They can't grab people off the street and play cop.
I'm going by your link, which said that police did not charge him with impersonating an officer (serious crime) because he oh-so-technically was justified.

And of course he had no actual authority. That's kind of the point of the story, no?

Old 30th July 2020, 08:47 PM   #30
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Ok. So Luis Orlando Santos Santiago (of no relation to the Sasparillas) is what the DSM 5 calls Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. Nutty as the proverbial fruitcake. Suddenly thinks he's a cop at 5:30AM and harasses an adult student heading to basketball practice. Cops respond, charge him with felony douchebaggery and get the young man loaded up and off to practice. Good cops. Nice to hear in these troubled times. Hope whackadoodle gets some help for whatever ails him along the way.

Old 30th July 2020, 11:31 PM   #31
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Mr Santos does not sound like a well man. And nothing I've read in the story indicates the kid did anything wrong. Racist incidents certainly can and do happen in America, but I do think it's heartening that stories like this actually make the news these days. I can't imagine it even exciting comment back before the 1960s. We've got roughly 40 million black people having millions of interactions with white every day. And this makes news? That's actually a testament to how well most people get along.

And I will say add that if Mr Santos is not mentally deranged, but is just one of those officious ******** who likes to play cop just because he was a security guard somewhere, I hope he goes to jail and that the kid gets all his assets.
That must mean there isn't too much serious racism going on, right? I mean, that's what you're saying here, isn't it?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 11:45 PM   #32
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
That must mean there isn't too much serious racism going on, right? I mean, that's what you're saying here, isn't it?
Think you might be reading too much into that post just from my reading of it. But good luck with that.

Old 31st July 2020, 12:28 AM   #33
Lothian
should be banned

Disgraceful. If he followed proper police procedures he would have shot the kid at least once before attempting an arrest.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 12:45 AM   #34
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Compared to the '50s and '60s? Damn straight. This sure isn't Emmitt Till.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 01:35 AM   #35
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Well, saying there's less racism than in the '50s ain't really saying much. It's like saying that Corona is less bad than the Black Death. Technically true, but it doesn't really say much.
Old 31st July 2020, 01:59 AM   #36
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Compared to the '50s and '60s? Damn straight. This sure isn't Emmitt Till.
Phew. I am sure African Americans will be relieved to hear that.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 05:58 AM   #37
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I'm a "former officer" because I was the vice-president of my 8th grade class.
I'm a "former officer" because I was a Flight Sergeant in the Air Force 25 years ago....

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 06:01 AM   #38
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Listen boy do you have any idea who I am? You're talking to a 3, count them 3, time Time Person of the Year Winner!"
Old 31st July 2020, 06:15 AM   #39
Arcade22
Philosopher

Doesn't "citizens arrest" usually require that the supposed criminal was caught in the act specifically to deter people from doing stuff like this?

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 06:37 AM   #40
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I can't wait to learn why the black kid was in the wrong this time.
I'm going to go with riding too fast, clearly trying to make a clean get-a-way.

Also, just look at his shoes, they weren't either basketball shoes or proper bike cleats.

He should have been riding in the woods, off the streets if he didn't want to be stopped. Or stopping at every house explaining himself, why he was there and providing a full accounting of his whereabouts and intentions.

Nefarious actions abound!
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events