ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida incidents , Luis Santos , racism incidents

Old 31st July 2020, 06:51 AM   #41
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Doesn't "citizens arrest" usually require that the supposed criminal was caught in the act specifically to deter people from doing stuff like this?
In most jurisdictions, yes. I'm not aware of one that grants equal or better rights to a citizen than to law enforcement.

A licensed security guard would know this. Even an "off duty" one, who quit his job 6 months ago. The job, as it was explained to me, many years ago was that it was basically a paid witness. Sure you could stop bad actors, but on the whole the act was to appear and the bad guys who don't want witness, will not do bad acts.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:49 AM   #42
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I worked as a security guard for approximately a year, and the way the job was explained to me was, my purpose was to be there at night when nobody else was so that if something happened I could call the police. But to clarify, it was an unlicensed position.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 09:23 AM   #43
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I find it extremely puzzling what he thought he was going to achieve by calling the cops on himself and pretending to be an officer.
Assumes much that there is no evidence of.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 09:44 AM   #44
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
A Florida teenager was bicycling to basketball practice early on the morning of June 9th when he was stopped by a man in a vehicle who told him "you're not going anywhere" and demanded to know why he was outside at that time of day. The man, Luis Santos, then got out of his vehicle and implied the teen was under some kind of arrest as he dialed 911.

Santos himself took video of the encounter; however, the video in fact does not show the teen "breaking into cars" or committing any other crime, and Santos is not a police officer. The video does, however, implicate Santos as committing false imprisonment, for which he was charged.
Not a cop, reap what you sow.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events