IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 4th November 2021, 06:27 PM   #2641
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
He must have voted Leave to get rid of the migrants.

Read further on in the article and he comes out with this gem:

I bet that is a sanitised version of what he says to his mates down the pub.
He's suggesting a major escalation as if it is an equal response.

I wonder if he realizes "it works both ways" uh, works both ways.

ETA: or worse, target French goods for tarrifs and the entire EU trade bloc reciprocrates.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 4th November 2021 at 06:33 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2021, 07:26 PM   #2642
p0lka
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ohms View Post
I am not a French speaker but I'm told that this is what the letter actually said

Nothing about "punishing" the UK, just that we stick to our commitments.
Oh please, we've had enough of 'reality', let us focus on blaming everyone else more, thank you.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2021, 10:38 PM   #2643
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
He's suggesting a major escalation as if it is an equal response.

I wonder if he realizes "it works both ways" uh, works both ways.

ETA: or worse, target French goods for tarrifs and the entire EU trade bloc reciprocrates.
No, no, the highlighted bit won't happen. Because the EU is about to fall apart and anyway no one would do that to the Glorious British Empire and if it does happen it's because of meanies being evil.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2021, 08:37 AM   #2644
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Heard another cut yesterday. Taking to a bloke who is in the ops side of one of the bargain stores (likes of B&M, Home Bargins).

They are very concerned as part of their business is off loading surplus stocks of say a Greek version of a shampoo. Until Brexit there's been no problem in terms of product approval, once approved in one EU country it was approved for all.

There was a grace period for recognising EU standards but that has started to end, so if the product made in the EU hasn't also got a "new" UK approval as well as its EU one it can't be imported into the UK..

And to make it even more fun, apparently the UK has not produced all their approval processes and regulations.
Old 6th November 2021, 10:08 AM   #2645
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

/brexit supporter on
Quit promoting project Fear. This will never happen
/brexit supporter off

In lieu of actual brexit supporters I'll put that in.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2021, 11:04 AM   #2646
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

An OBR report show that Brexit will make every person in the UK £83 a year worse off. But don't worry, because govt figures show that our new trade deals are worth nearly 50p a year to everyone!
So, swings and roundabouts.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2021, 03:58 PM   #2647
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

GB News had a discussion tonight “Should we go to war with France?”

That was the actual question.

And to make matters even worse they were all wearing poppies, while effectively spitting on what they represent.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2021, 04:02 PM   #2648
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Emily Thornberry (Lab Islington) tweeted
@EmilyThornberry
The government’s entire trade strategy is built on the idea that we can make up for the huge losses caused by their botched deal with Europe by increasing our trade with the Asia-Pacific region.
Every new piece of analysis shows what nonsense this is.

independent.co.uk
All UK’s post-Brexit trade deals combined worth less than 50p per person
Loss from Brexit is 178 times as big as most optimistic prediction of trade deal benefits
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1952442.html
Old 7th November 2021, 07:35 PM   #2649
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

They'll lose a little on each trade but make it up on the volume!
Old 8th November 2021, 01:02 AM   #2650
wobs
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
They'll lose a little on each trade but make it up on the volume!
By shouting about it.
Old 8th November 2021, 01:08 AM   #2651
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure that Brexiteers will claim that it was all about Sovereignty, it was never about trade gains and a certain amount of economic pain is a price well worth paying for throwing off the yoke of EU oppression.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2021, 07:09 AM   #2652
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I'm sure that Brexiteers will claim that it was all about Sovereignty, it was never about trade gains and a certain amount of economic pain is a price well worth paying for throwing off the yoke of EU oppression.
And being able to have temperatures in Fahrenheit!
Old 9th November 2021, 04:36 AM   #2653
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

End of an era

I'm very fond of wine, and of comparatively inexpensive, but tasty, claret. For the last 20+ years we've regularly made trips to France and on the way home we've usually picked up several cases of that kind of wine on our way home.

Typically I buy from the Leclerc supermarket in Outreau, near Boulogne which is reasonably close to Calais but not packed with gammons and I'll buy wooden 6 box half-cases in the 4-7 Euro range. Over the years I've bought well over a thousand bottles using those selection criteria and I reckon that more than 99% were acceptable and at least 25% have been excellent.

When we moved to Don Towers, we brought around 20 of these unopened half cases with us but stock levels ebb and flow depending on how recently we've been and how much we've bought.

Today I opened my last half case and transferred them to a wine rack, I haven't been without for at least 20 years.

Because of Covid, we've not been skiing in France since 2019, and because of Brexit, the halcyon days of buying cases and cases* of French wine have passed unless I want to go through the hassle of importing and paying the duty on my purchases.

I'd turn to drink to drown my sorrows but........

* - the limit is 24 bottles per person - 48 bottles for the pair of us - much less than half of what we would have historically bought

Last edited by The Don; 9th November 2021 at 04:39 AM.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2021, 08:04 AM   #2654
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

My Brexit struggles don't compare to The Don's. However, at least I have received the copy of PRIVATE EYE that was being withheld from me until I paid up 'charges' re VAT (Tulli)and 'handling fees' (Posti). It is dated 17-30 Sept 2021. In the meantime, I have received two, more recent, ones without any problem. Either Posti/Tulli had a strategy to send me one demand of €2,90 every two months, to divide between themselves, or it was an issue with their barcode thingy. Hopefully, there will be no further demands now that I have made a declaration of exemption. (Background: now the UK is no longer in the EU, a new edict as from July 2021, re magazine subscriptions from the UK to EU nations, meant VAT had to be collected by the receiving EU country even though it is zero-rated in the UK - how it works, don't even ask.)

The copy is out of date but the cartoons remain exceedingly funny. It's one's inner schoolkid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E_83Cq6WQAAyev0 (1) (1).jpg (109.4 KB, 11 views)

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2021, 02:10 AM   #2655
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Heard another cut yesterday. Taking to a bloke who is in the ops side of one of the bargain stores (likes of B&M, Home Bargins).

They are very concerned as part of their business is off loading surplus stocks of say a Greek version of a shampoo. Until Brexit there's been no problem in terms of product approval, once approved in one EU country it was approved for all.

There was a grace period for recognising EU standards but that has started to end, so if the product made in the EU hasn't also got a "new" UK approval as well as its EU one it can't be imported into the UK..

And to make it even more fun, apparently the UK has not produced all their approval processes and regulations.
No? Really? Well consider my flabber well & truly gasted.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2021, 03:17 AM   #2656
Mojo
Mostly harmless

A Polish-born Dutchman…

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2021, 05:21 AM   #2657
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

British firm that makes bicycle parking racks loses out because of Brexit.

Quote:
Three car-shaped yellow bicycle racks have been erected in Turku on the site of the recently decommissioned city bike stations. There are scaffolding on Piispankatu, Puutarhakatu and Yliopistonkatu.

- There was a bit of a vague space left in those places where car parking could have started, says traffic planning engineer Taneli Pärssinen .

According to Pärssinen, there have been similar car-shaped racks at least in Helsinki, Tampere and Lahti.

- The rack in them is made in the UK, but due to brexit they were no longer available in Finland, so we ordered these from a local company.

In addition to employing a local entrepreneur, the racks became significantly cheaper for the city than the British.

- These were about 1,500 euros a piece, the British would have been many times more expensive.
TS

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2021, 05:42 AM   #2658
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
A Polish-born Dutchman…
See, yet another brexit benefit. Today we can celebrate a great Brit Lord Kelvin.

it is 283° out there today. If we were still in the EU it would only be 10° .

Nearly 30 times hotter.

Last edited by Lothian; 12th November 2021 at 06:49 AM.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2021, 06:27 AM   #2659
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
See, yet another brexit benefit. Today we can celebrate a great Brit Lord Kelvin.

it is 283° out there today. If we were still in the EU it would only be 10° .

Neatly 30 times hotter.
The Kelvin scale doesn't use degrees. It's 283 K.

I bet you don't always wear a poppy either.
Guybrush Threepwood is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2021, 06:48 AM   #2660
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
The Kelvin scale doesn't use degrees. It's 283 K.
See another saving ,far less ink
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2021, 06:53 AM   #2661
Lothian
should be banned

Quote:
I bet you don't always wear a poppy either.
A weed found on a FRENCH" battlefield. Certainly not. I wear an English Rose.

*Or Belgium who cares both smell of garlic and foreigners

Last edited by Lothian; 12th November 2021 at 06:56 AM.
Old 13th November 2021, 04:16 PM   #2662
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Sir Christopher John Rome Meyer KCMG, former British ambassador to US and Germany says

Quote:
In all the fury over Article 16 one thing is forgotten. The UK should never have accepted in the first place the avoidance of a hard border as our problem. It was always the EU’s-to protect the Single Market. We should have said: it’s your problem, you sort it. We don’t want one.

Gavin Barwell, former 10 Downing Street Chief of Staff replied
Quote:
You say you don't want a border but unless you want to be in a customs union + partial regulatory alignment with the EU then actually you do. A border is the logical consequence of a Canada style relationship. You can't just wish it away
To which Sir Christopher replied
Quote:
Kindly show me where I say I don’t want a border. We have one, bequeathed by the Good Friday Agreement. That’s my kind of border. But Merkel demanded something far harder and you lot, instead of telling the EU to sort it with Dublin, let yourselves be bullied.
Baroness Hoey of Lylehill and Rathlin in the County of Antrim agreed with Sir Christopher and said
Quote:
Spot on!
How does Meyer struggle to understand the concept of a border having two sides?. This man was a high ranking diplomat!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 13th November 2021 at 04:30 PM.
Old 14th November 2021, 05:34 AM   #2663
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Sir Christopher John Rome Meyer KCMG, former British ambassador to US and Germany says

Gavin Barwell, former 10 Downing Street Chief of Staff replied

To which Sir Christopher replied

Baroness Hoey of Lylehill and Rathlin in the County of Antrim agreed with Sir Christopher and said

How does Meyer struggle to understand the concept of a border having two sides?. This man was a high ranking diplomat!
I blame public schools.

(I'll check after I click submit but let's see if I am right.)
Old 14th November 2021, 05:36 AM   #2664
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I blame public schools.

(I'll check after I click submit but let's see if I am right.)
ETA: quelle surprise! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ..._and_education

I am sure he can read latin.
Old 14th November 2021, 05:59 AM   #2665
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

If we can take D Cummings as a reliable source, then this - https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/do...brexit-1298747 - supports the idea some of us have previously advanced of Johnson either not having read or not understanding, or both, any treaties and agreements he signed up to.

And it also fits with Darat's point just above about private education...

Last edited by Carrot Flower King; 14th November 2021 at 06:00 AM. Reason: - r
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2021, 07:17 AM   #2666
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Nigel Farage tweets
@Nigel_Farage
At least 2,000 people have illegally crossed the Channel in the last 3 days.
Priti Patel blames the French — but they don't offer 4 star hotels, free health care, mobile phones and spending money.
The problem is us and our gutless, dishonest politicians.
Old 14th November 2021, 01:37 PM   #2667
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
If we can take D Cummings as a reliable source, then this - https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/do...brexit-1298747 - supports the idea some of us have previously advanced of Johnson either not having read or not understanding, or both, any treaties and agreements he signed up to.

And it also fits with Darat's point just above about private education...
That's the trouble though, can we? His entire raison d'etre ever since he was kicked out of No 10, has been to settle scores with Johnson. This is just the latest bit.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2021, 04:09 PM   #2668
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Nadine Dorries tweeted
@NadineDorries
Really great news. We've been working closely with the Spanish government to make touring easier - and they've just confirmed that musicians no longer need visas to go on short-term tours
21 Member States now offer visa & permit-free routes for touring performers. 6 more to go.
Old 16th November 2021, 04:11 PM   #2669
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Just to be clear, this has been negotiated by the Live touring group, the Association of British Orchestras and their Spanish equivalents. Not the DCMS.

https://livemusic.biz/live-the-abo-d...uring-artists/
Old 17th November 2021, 04:42 AM   #2670
ohms
Graduate Poster

Amazon no longer accepting Visa credit cards from January, due to fivefold increase in interchange fees, which are no longer capped under EU law.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59306200
Old 17th November 2021, 05:26 AM   #2671
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

How can they claim this is nothing to do with Brexit?

I'm sure this will be "resolved" before then. I only have the one credit card and that is a VISA one - not going to get another one simply to use Amazon. (In the UK we have additional protections if you use a credit card rather than a debit card so I always use my credit card on Amazon.)

Just wondered if this is the reason my RBS VISA debit card is going to change to a Mastercard debit card next year?
Old 19th November 2021, 01:26 AM   #2672
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently, the messaging around the Northern Ireland Protocol is improving - according to the Irish Prime Minister:

Quote:
There is "serious intent" in the EU to solve post-Brexit difficulties over the Northern Ireland border, Irish Prime Minister Micheál Martin has said.

Speaking to the BBC, he said the "mood music" surrounding EU-UK negotiations had improved in recent weeks.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59336580

I think the UK government's approach is to simply fail to comply unless they get everything they want - all the benefits of EU membership with none of the responsibilities. They will say anything to get the next deal and then simply renege on it.
Old 19th November 2021, 02:59 AM   #2673
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Apparently, the messaging around the Northern Ireland Protocol is improving - according to the Irish Prime Minister Taoiseach:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59336580

I think the UK government's approach is to simply fail to comply unless they get everything they want - all the benefits of EU membership with none of the responsibilities. They will say anything to get the next deal and then simply renege on it.
Unlike one of his predecessors; monkey-man is more willing to be honest about the protocol and it's objectors being clueless idiots.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 02:14 PM   #2674
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

UK visa scheme for prize-winning scientists receives no applications
Exclusive: A fast-track visa route for Nobel prize laureates and other award-winners in science, engineering, the humanities and medicine has failed to attract any applicants.

Not a single scientist has applied to a UK government visa scheme for Nobel prize laureates and other award winners since its launch six months ago, New Scientist can reveal. The scheme has come under criticism from scientists and has been described as “a joke”.

In May, the government launched a fast-track visa route for award-winners in the fields of science, engineering, the humanities and medicine who want to work in the UK. This prestigious prize route makes it easier for some academics to apply for a Global Talent visa – it requires only one application, with no need to meet conditions such as a grant from the UK Research and Innovation funding body or a job offer at a UK organisation.

The number of prizes that qualify academics for this route currently stands at over 70, and includes the Turing Award, the L’Oréal-UNESCO for Women in Science International Awards, and various gongs awarded by professional or membership bodies both in the UK and elsewhere.

“Winners of these awards have reached the pinnacle of their career and they have so much to offer the UK,” said home secretary Priti Patel when the prestigious prize scheme launched in May. “This is exactly what our new point-based immigration system was designed for – attracting the best and brightest based on the skills and talent they have, not where they’ve come from.”

But a freedom of information request by New Scientist has revealed that in the six months since the scheme was launched, no one working in science, engineering, the humanities or medicine has actually applied for a visa through this route.

“Chances that a single Nobel or Turing laureate would move to the UK to work are zero for the next decade or so,” says Andre Geim at the University of Manchester, UK. Geim won a Nobel prize in 2010 for his work on graphene. “The scheme itself is a joke – it cannot be discussed seriously,” he says. “The government thinks if you pump up UK science with a verbal diarrhea of optimism – it can somehow become a self-fulfilling prophecy.”

https://www.newscientist.com/article...-applications/
Old 23rd November 2021, 02:19 AM   #2675
catsmate
No longer the 1

If you're at the pinnacle of your career why would you blow it all by moving to the UK?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2021, 04:11 AM   #2676
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
If you're at the pinnacle of your career why would you blow it all by moving to the UK?
You are getting confused. You seem to think this was some kind of “policy”, this government doesn’t do “policies” that’s so plebeian, this government does headlines.

It got a couple of positive headlines at the time so by any metric that is important to this government it was a success.
Old 23rd November 2021, 04:49 AM   #2677
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

You are getting confused. You seem to think this was some kind of “policy”, this government doesn’t do “policies” that’s so plebeian, this government does headlines.

It got a couple of positive headlines at the time so by any metric that is important to this government it was a success.
Sadly and exactly true.

There is seldom any actual review of policies that are announced to see if they're successful. Heck there's usually little or no follow up to actually implement policies that are announced to great fanfare.

The problem is that the Great British PublicTM is perfectly happy with this and isn't holding the government to account. The fact that the Tories can be re-elected with a whopping majority by campaigning against the ineffectiveness of the previous Conservative government shows just how engaged the British English public are.
Old 23rd November 2021, 05:53 PM   #2678
dirtywick
Illuminator

Not sure what the positive headlines were but “ UK visa scheme for prize-winning scientists receives no applications” isn’t a great look on the back end of it
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 07:49 AM   #2679
Greebo
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
Not sure what the positive headlines were but “ UK visa scheme for prize-winning scientists receives no applications” isn’t a great look on the back end of it
Sadly we have got used to the dismal headlines.
The only way this country is world beating, is on a race to the bottom

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk
Greebo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 07:55 AM   #2680
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
That was in New Scientist not the Telegraph nor Daily Mail nor Daily Express so it doesn't count.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics