IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th February 2022, 02:21 AM   #681
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I generally use the cat.
Do the odds and ends not fall off?

Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2022, 02:46 AM   #682
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Mini-USB was HUGE (i.e. 3x7mm) and good for thousands of connections.
Micro-USB was smaller (about half as thick) and good for more thousands.

But USB-C is thinner yet, reversible, and good for even more connections. Except on my phone, which will talk through its USB-C port only when it damn well feels like it.
Have you used a small pin to see if your socket is full of fluff?

It's a huge problem with Apple Lightning ports, so many people think their iPhone is faulty or their cable is faulty not knowing the socket has a ton of pocket fluff jammed in it and all it needs is a careful cleanout,. USB is similar but not as bad.

Last edited by Darat; 9th February 2022 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Lightning removal of the white
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2022, 06:16 AM   #683
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

I'd suggest something non-metallic such as a toothbrush in case with a pin you prick the wrong place and let out the magic smoke.
Old 9th February 2022, 06:33 AM   #684
Wudang
BOFH

I use an unfolded staple as they're usually too soft to scratch but they do get the fluff.
Old 9th February 2022, 11:38 AM   #685
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Ok, cleaned it out with the pointy end of one of those dental floss pick things. Metal didn't seem like a great idea. I've got it connected but had some difficulty. I'll see how it goes.
Old 9th February 2022, 12:48 PM   #686
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Ok, cleaned it out with the pointy end of one of those dental floss pick things. Metal didn't seem like a great idea. I've got it connected but had some difficulty. I'll see how it goes.
It gets compacted in the end. Make sure it's all gone. I split a toothpick down the middle to get a long, pointy, wooden end.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2022, 01:46 PM   #687
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Do the odds and ends not fall off?

Actually his fur does hold a fair amount of vegetation when he's been checking the hedge.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2022, 01:47 PM   #688
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
I'd suggest something non-metallic such as a toothbrush in case with a pin you prick the wrong place and let out the magic smoke.
Toothpick. The Swiss Army knife strikes again.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2022, 01:57 PM   #689
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
It gets compacted in the end. Make sure it's all gone. I split a toothpick down the middle to get a long, pointy, wooden end.
It is concentrated fluff!
Old 10th February 2022, 06:49 AM   #690
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Dear User: yes, I can report from the database on data that was changed after its initial entry. No, I cannot report from the database on data that will be changed at some undetermined future time. That would require me to either be a prophet or possess time-travel, and if I had either of those powers I wouldn't waste them on your stupid report requests. Love, Not-a-Time-Lord.
Old 10th February 2022, 07:56 AM   #691
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Dear User: yes, I can report from the database on data that was changed after its initial entry. No, I cannot report from the database on data that will be changed at some undetermined future time. That would require me to either be a prophet or possess time-travel, and if I had either of those powers I wouldn't waste them on your stupid report requests. Love, Not-a-Time-Lord.

“If I was capable of time travel, you would have never existed to bother me with your ridiculous request”

Sent from my volcanic island lair using carrier pigeon.
Old 18th February 2022, 12:23 PM   #692
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Have you used a small pin to see if your socket is full of fluff?

It's a huge problem with Apple Lightning ports, so many people think their iPhone is faulty or their cable is faulty not knowing the socket has a ton of pocket fluff jammed in it and all it needs is a careful cleanout,. USB is similar but not as bad.
I have had connection problems with USB C due to pocket lint or other crud getting into the socket. Carefully (so as not to damage the contacts on the part in the middle) cleaning the crud out of the socket with pin or paperclip will fix it. The crud just gets packed into the bottom of the socket and prevents the connector from seating properly.

Last edited by CORed; 18th February 2022 at 12:31 PM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2022, 12:28 PM   #693
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Given the ability to reliably predict the future, I would think that any number of endeavors, including but not limited to sports betting, stock and commodities trading, would be far more lucrative than writing reports for idiots that will never actually understand them.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2022, 07:43 AM   #694
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Dear Users,

Yet again. I'm an IT contractor. I am not the generic "help." I'm not a janitor, an electrician, a carpenter, a plumber, a mover (outside of IT equipment), a garbage man, pest control, a butcher, a baker, or a candlestick maker.

I am professional with a set of actual marketable skills who has a contract with your company to perform specific tasks, not a generic worker body you got from a day laborer site.

I know your entire company consists within a rounding error of nothing of women aged from 45 to "statistically died 10 years ago" who all have bad backs, bad knees, brittle bones, are blind and deaf and have inner ear infections and carpal tunnel syndrome so are are all so delicate and frail that you put trouble tickets in because mechanical keyboards are too hard on your hands (I ******* WISH I was making that up) but the fact that I'm one of the few people in this building who has maintained their body to the point of keeping at the level of "base level functional" while all of you will die if forced to do anything except sit at your desk under your electric blankets but that does emphatically NOT mean I'm here to get you reams of paper from the supply closet, get stuff off of shelves, kill spiders, move furniture, get on the roof of the building (don't ask), put together shelves, anything that involves a ladder, pick up debris from the parking lot, or any and all other *Wheezy ole' lady voice* "Oh I'm so sorry to bother you young man..." taskings you think I'm here for.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 22nd February 2022 at 07:54 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2022, 08:47 PM   #695
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Having fun and frustration from the other side this week. My internet connection is intermittently dropping. It's clearly either a failing modem or the ISP's connection to the modem, but the techs they send out are...less than familiar with networking. I'm not very hot on networking myself but even I know that if I can ping my own router with 100% success at the same time I can't ping anything outside my house then that means the problem isn't with my devices. Getting this across is surprisingly difficult! The last guy used a gadget to check for interference with the wifi. Only problem with that is that I don't have or use wifi-- purely cables, every step of the way.

The logical next step is for them to just swap out their damn modem (we have to use theirs) which is four years old at this point...and such modems tend to have a lifespan of three years. But god help you if you suggest something, the notion has to come from them or it's just ignorant customers mouthing off.

One guy didn't know what ping was, he'd never seen a command prompt before either.

eta: Incidentally, while perusing my router's logs I noticed a hell of a lot of denied access attempts from European IP addresses that when I looked them up were listed as recent activity known abusers with Russian-sounding names. Since I don't normally look at these logs I have no idea whether this is normal or if it's an uptick due to certain current events. Still pretty freaky.

Last edited by TragicMonkey; 22nd February 2022 at 08:50 PM.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2022, 09:21 PM   #696
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

One guy didn't know what ping was, he'd never seen a command prompt before either.
That doesn’t surprise me. T1 service is entry-level work. I bet a bunch of my T1s never used a command prompt before they started working here.
Old 22nd February 2022, 10:09 PM   #697
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Dear Users,

Yet again. I'm an IT contractor. I am not the generic "help." I'm not a janitor, an electrician, a carpenter, a plumber, a mover (outside of IT equipment), a garbage man, pest control, a butcher, a baker, or a candlestick maker.

I am professional with a set of actual marketable skills who has a contract with your company to perform specific tasks, not a generic worker body you got from a day laborer site.

I know your entire company consists within a rounding error of nothing of women aged from 45 to "statistically died 10 years ago" who all have bad backs, bad knees, brittle bones, are blind and deaf and have inner ear infections and carpal tunnel syndrome so are are all so delicate and frail that you put trouble tickets in because mechanical keyboards are too hard on your hands (I ******* WISH I was making that up) but the fact that I'm one of the few people in this building who has maintained their body to the point of keeping at the level of "base level functional" while all of you will die if forced to do anything except sit at your desk under your electric blankets but that does emphatically NOT mean I'm here to get you reams of paper from the supply closet, get stuff off of shelves, kill spiders, move furniture, get on the roof of the building (don't ask), put together shelves, anything that involves a ladder, pick up debris from the parking lot, or any and all other *Wheezy ole' lady voice* "Oh I'm so sorry to bother you young man..." taskings you think I'm here for.
You are male. You are younger than them. Ergo "these are man problems". Chances are they are admiring your butt while you are up the ladder.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2022, 11:53 AM   #698
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
You are male. You are younger than them. Ergo "these are man problems". Chances are they are admiring your butt while you are up the ladder.
I noticed when I worked in an office with 129 women and 3 men that I was expected to move things and carry things because that's man's work, but when it came time to clean the break room I wasn't exempt on the grounds of that being woman's work.
Old 23rd February 2022, 11:54 AM   #699
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I noticed when I worked in an office with 129 women and 3 men that I was expected to move things and carry things because that's man's work, but when it came time to clean the break room I wasn't exempt on the grounds of that being woman's work.
Yeah I'd be fired immediately if I asked one of them to bake me some cookies or knit me a sweater.
Old 23rd February 2022, 01:05 PM   #700
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yeah I'd be fired immediately if I asked one of them to bake me some cookies or knit me a sweater.
That feels like lazy speculation. I expect better from a skeptic: you must test your hypothesis by asking one for cookies and another for a hand knitted sweater.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2022, 03:08 PM   #701
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
That feels like lazy speculation. I expect better from a skeptic: you must test your hypothesis by asking one for cookies and another for a hand knitted sweater.
Insufficient sample size. Ask them all . . . .for both!
Old 23rd February 2022, 06:20 PM   #702
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Having fun and frustration from the other side this week. My internet connection is intermittently dropping. It's clearly either a failing modem or the ISP's connection to the modem, but the techs they send out are...less than familiar with networking. I'm not very hot on networking myself but even I know that if I can ping my own router with 100% success at the same time I can't ping anything outside my house then that means the problem isn't with my devices. Getting this across is surprisingly difficult! The last guy used a gadget to check for interference with the wifi. Only problem with that is that I don't have or use wifi-- purely cables, every step of the way.

The logical next step is for them to just swap out their damn modem (we have to use theirs) which is four years old at this point...and such modems tend to have a lifespan of three years. But god help you if you suggest something, the notion has to come from them or it's just ignorant customers mouthing off.

eta: Incidentally, while perusing my router's logs I noticed a hell of a lot of denied access attempts from European IP addresses that when I looked them up were listed as recent activity known abusers with Russian-sounding names. Since I don't normally look at these logs I have no idea whether this is normal or if it's an uptick due to certain current events. Still pretty freaky.
Something I've noticed about my own ISP, by their reputation and personal experience is that their telephone techs are clueless but their in person techs really seem to know what they're doing. It's almost the opposite of what I'm used to. So the obstacle is not getting a smart person out when you need them, it's getting through the hoops to convince them they need to.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2022, 10:41 PM   #703
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Oh hi, it's my last day today and I'm just wondering what to do with my building access pass.

You can hand that in to the security desk as you leave.

Oh, okay. Where's that?

It's at the entrance to the building.

Oh, like, where the security guards are?

...yes.
Old 24th February 2022, 01:10 AM   #704
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Oh hi, it's my last day today and I'm just wondering what to do with my building access pass.
You can hand that in to the security desk as you leave.
Oh, okay. Where's that?
It's at the entrance to the building.
Oh, like, where the security guards are?
...yes.
I'm curious about a couple of things. First, what's so unusual about handing your security pass to the guard as you exit the building? Are they not aware you're surrendering it?

Also, are you moving to a new job or position? I checked this thread back to the start of December and didn't see anything about a job change.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2022, 01:14 AM   #705
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
I'm curious about a couple of things. First, what's so unusual about handing your security pass to the guard as you exit the building? Are they not aware you're surrendering it?

Also, are you moving to a new job or position? I checked this thread back to the start of December and didn't see anything about a job change.
Hah. No, this is a summary of a call I took this evening. I was on my phone, so I neglected to post the attributions to each line. I'll do so now:

Caller: Oh hi, it's my last day today and I'm just wondering what to do with my building access pass.

Me: You can hand that in to the security desk as you leave.

Caller: Oh, okay. Where's that?

Me: It's at the entrance to the building.

Caller: Oh, like, where the security guards are?

Me: ...yes.

The incongruity of the call was based around not only them not knowing that they could just hand their pass in as they left, and them thinking that I meant that the security desk was something other than the post where the security guards were.
Old 24th February 2022, 01:44 AM   #706
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Something I've noticed about my own ISP, by their reputation and personal experience is that their telephone techs are clueless but their in person techs really seem to know what they're doing. It's almost the opposite of what I'm used to. So the obstacle is not getting a smart person out when you need them, it's getting through the hoops to convince them they need to.
I favour ploughing straight over the phone support drones by saying I've done A, B, C, E, E, and F and basically ignoring their script.
That, or contacting a senior manager directly.
Old 24th February 2022, 01:45 AM   #707
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post

I never return mine unless specifically asked. I have a box full of a couple of hundred by now.
Old 24th February 2022, 02:33 AM   #708
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I never return mine unless specifically asked. I have a box full of a couple of hundred by now.
It doesn't really matter. The card itself is cancelled, so no-one can use it to get illegal entry to the premises. However, it does have a name and a photo, and by government regs it should really be put in the secure disposal.
Old 24th February 2022, 05:09 AM   #709
catsmate
No longer the 1

It doesn't really matter. The card itself is cancelled, so no-one can use it to get illegal entry to the premises. However, it does have a name and a photo, and by government regs it should really be put in the secure disposal.
True. Though they can be handy when, as inevitably happens, they need my services again.
If course some sites are more sloppy than others about ending access rights. And one can sometimes bluff one's way in anyway.
Old 24th February 2022, 07:13 AM   #710
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

True. Though they can be handy when, as inevitably happens, they need my services again.
If course some sites are more sloppy than others about ending access rights. And one can sometimes bluff one's way in anyway.
In my experience you can go pretty much anywhere if you wear khaki pants and an irritated expression and carry a clipboard. I wouldn't try sneaking onto a military base like that, but civilian businesses are easy.
Old 24th February 2022, 09:15 AM   #711
catsmate
No longer the 1

In my experience you can go pretty much anywhere if you wear khaki pants and an irritated expression and carry a clipboard. I wouldn't try sneaking onto a military base like that, but civilian businesses are easy.
Yep. Also a surprising number of magnetically secured lock plates can be yanked open.
Also the wheelchair door button.
Old 24th February 2022, 03:48 PM   #712
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Not so much on government sites. Pass discipline in my current department is not as strict as others. In the 90s I worked for Defence. There, you displayed your pass when you were on-site, took it off when you weren't, and if we encountered anyone on site who was not displaying, we were required to challenge them.
Old 24th February 2022, 05:31 PM   #713
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Insufficient sample size. Ask them all . . . .for both!
Thank you. Then joe can share with us!

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2022, 06:02 PM   #714
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

I favour ploughing straight over the phone support drones by saying I've done A, B, C, E, E, and F and basically ignoring their script.
That, or contacting a senior manager directly.
"I think you may need to do D. Can you please click on your start menu and..."

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2022, 10:05 PM   #715
a_unique_person

Not so much on government sites. Pass discipline in my current department is not as strict as others. In the 90s I worked for Defence. There, you displayed your pass when you were on-site, took it off when you weren't, and if we encountered anyone on site who was not displaying, we were required to challenge them.
Challenge them to what? A fight to the death?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2022, 10:45 PM   #716
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Challenge them to what? A fight to the death?

I didn't think that term would be ambiguous, but no, we were to approach and ask why they weren't displaying their pass, and escort them to security if necessary. Of course, Defence was a high-security environment.
Old 24th February 2022, 11:42 PM   #717
BowlOfRed
Master Poster

Our last round we reprinted all our badges without names so someone that finds it can't fake the name.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2022, 01:19 AM   #718
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by BowlOfRed View Post
Our last round we reprinted all our badges without names so someone that finds it can't fake the name.
Yeah, that won't work with us, because the access pass is intended to be used as ID. During the lockdowns last year, if I was challenged (there's that word) by police, I would have had to show both my letter of essential work, and my government ID - ie, my building access pass.

I wasn't, by the way. Not once. Some police state, huh?
Old 25th February 2022, 01:51 AM   #719
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, that won't work with us, because the access pass is intended to be used as ID. During the lockdowns last year, if I was challenged (there's that word) by police, I would have had to show both my letter of essential work, and my government ID - ie, my building access pass.

I wasn't, by the way. Not once. Some police state, huh?
Both the ACT coppers must have caught COVID at the same time.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2022, 08:17 PM   #720
a_unique_person

I didn't think that term would be ambiguous, but no, we were to approach and ask why they weren't displaying their pass, and escort them to security if necessary. Of course, Defence was a high-security environment.
And if they didn't want to be escorted? Then the fight to the death?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet