IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Gladys Berejiklian , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 31st August 2021, 06:52 AM   #401
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
This causes me deep despair. To those not aware of the background, Howard brought this in, no surprise. BUT Gillard and Rudd kept it!!!!

And Albo will as well. Cowardly ALP.

The old guard Catholic ALP supporters have no love for chaplains, but recent ALP leadership simply pander to bible bashers.

Another reason I have trouble casting a formal vote for the ALP.
I get the impression this is about priority 23 on the list of the Top 5 Things To Fix that the ALP usually focuses on.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 06:05 PM   #402
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Aren't there already chaplains in every school?

Surely we hadn't fixed that problem without my knowing about it.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 06:18 PM   #403
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

The other reason I think that rumours of an early election are credible is that I've started getting text message spam from Craig Kelly.
Old 31st August 2021, 06:35 PM   #404
Orphia Nay
Tagger

NSW local governments in hotspots aren't happy with Gladys either.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 06:40 PM   #405
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Aren't there already chaplains in every school?

Surely we hadn't fixed that problem without my knowing about it.
Not every school, no. I don't think there ever were chaplains in every school under this programme.
Old 31st August 2021, 10:12 PM   #406
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Not every school, no. I don't think there ever were chaplains in every school under this programme.

I looked it up and from what I can work out there are chaplains in over half the Victorian government schools.

I think they'd have a lot of trouble finding 700 more chaplains or ministers looking for a job at the moment. And that's just one state.

The ministry is not a boom industry these days.
Old 31st August 2021, 10:48 PM   #407
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The ministry is not a boom industry these days.
That's what they're worried about.
Old 31st August 2021, 10:53 PM   #408
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

The other reason I think that rumours of an early election are credible is that I've started getting text message spam from Craig Kelly.
Ditto, and also from UAP & Clive Palmer.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 06:06 PM   #409
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Melbourne holding to the idea that you can't **** delta down - 176 new cases, and 93 of them not related to existing and known cases - businesses start to bleed.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...3-c4a2e847f611
Old 1st September 2021, 08:46 PM   #410
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Frequent YouTube adverts from him.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2021, 05:38 AM   #411
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Melbourne holding to the idea that you can't **** delta down - 176 new cases, and 93 of them not related to existing and known cases - businesses start to bleed.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...3-c4a2e847f611
Itís two weeks since the idiot protest. Yes the protesters will not get tested, but their contacts will. This may be the reason for this spike. Weíll see tomorrow.

Whatever, we are only a fraction of Gladyís cluster ****.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2021, 04:23 PM   #412
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Itís two weeks since the idiot protest. Yes the protesters will not get tested, but their contacts will. This may be the reason for this spike. Weíll see tomorrow.

Whatever, we are only a fraction of Gladyís cluster ****.
I wouldn't speak too soon - you're going to see thousands of cases and dozens or hundreds of deaths for the rest of this year, at least.

Tomorrow's been and gone, and I understand Dan has admitted defeat: https://www.theguardian.com/australi...s-wont-go-down

100 cases in the community.

NZ is next on the list for a dose of reality. We're going to run out of money long before vaccination hits the 80% dream the government has in its sights.
Old 2nd September 2021, 07:13 PM   #413
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Meanwhile if you want to visit our paradise you can do your tests and spend two weeks in our proven non-hotel quarantine system.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2021, 04:54 AM   #414
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I wouldn't speak too soon - you're going to see thousands of cases and dozens or hundreds of deaths for the rest of this year, at least.

Tomorrow's been and gone, and I understand Dan has admitted defeat: https://www.theguardian.com/australi...s-wont-go-down

100 cases in the community.

NZ is next on the list for a dose of reality. We're going to run out of money long before vaccination hits the 80% dream the government has in its sights.
Maybe they should give many people the AZ vaccine, as they already have a large supply of that. This means that they get to 80+% very quickly. Far fewer lives will be lost this way. They will need to train people in giving the vaccine, but that should not be too hard. They can have fully trained people to cope with anything that goes wrong.

They will need to give an incentive for these people to have the AZ vaccine. Maybe one week after getting the vaccine they can go back to work, even during the lockdown. Ditto to everyone else who has been vaccinated.
Old 3rd September 2021, 07:25 AM   #415
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

TA was the one who, just a few posts back, was all for "letting COVID rip" in the community, bearing up with the REALLY bad consequences short term, and then going back to "normal" shortly after.

Seems the NZ government doesn't agree. Quite the opposite. Could it be because the communities likely to be most affected are not pakeha?
Old 3rd September 2021, 01:52 PM   #416
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Maybe they should give many people the AZ vaccine, as they already have a large supply of that.
Nope, not a single dose in the country as far as I'm aware. It's was only approved for use on 23 July and while we have purchases booked, they're not pursuing it right now.

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Seems the NZ government doesn't agree. Quite the opposite. Could it be because the communities likely to be most affected are not pakeha?
I know they don't agree.

Yes, a major part of the reason is due to brown people having a much lower vaccination rate, despite the government spending millions on specifically targetting them for extra help. That pisses me off even more - they don't want to be vaccinated, so why the hell should we care?

I've mentioned previously how a large vaccination site was set up in the middle of the heaviest concentration of Pasifika people on the planet.

And so few of them bothered coming that white people from across town went there so the vaccines weren't thrown away.

Our doctor covers a geographical area that includes a large part of the Pasifika community. I booked vaccines for my kids as soon as they became eligible on 1 Sept. At 2 pm on the 1st, there were still spare vaccination spots for all day on the 2nd, so, if they're not vaccinated, it sure as **** isn't whitey's fault.
Old 3rd September 2021, 08:32 PM   #417
Wildy
Adelaidean

About 13% of Wilcannia has COVID. Considering the general neglect of the town by the government in the past I think this is going to continue to increase as time goes on.

I wonder if this has been discussed in the National Cabinet considering that most of the town is Indigenous and the possible effects of opening up too early, but we might never know because Morrison wants to keep all this secret.
Old 3rd September 2021, 11:24 PM   #418
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
About 13% of Wilcannia has COVID. Considering the general neglect of the town by the government in the past I think this is going to continue to increase as time goes on.

I wonder if this has been discussed in the National Cabinet considering that most of the town is Indigenous and the possible effects of opening up too early, but we might never know because Morrison wants to keep all this secret.
This is breathtaking. 13%? Is there any other place in the world with such a high infection rate?

I still wait for Gladys (not locking down) and Scumo (for botching up vaccine purchases) to apologise to the people of NSW. Their non-action has been criminal in my opinion.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2021, 11:39 PM   #419
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

This is breathtaking. 13%? Is there any other place in the world with such a high infection rate?

I still wait for Gladys (not locking down) and Scumo (for botching up vaccine purchases) to apologise to the people of NSW. Their non-action has been criminal in my opinion.
This is something, that those of us who are not right-wing, racist, fascist, scumbags have been dreading for some time.

Health outcomes are generally below the norm for Australia in aboriginal communities, and a lot of effort has been made to keep covid out.

There are fears that covid will rip through those communities like a wild fire.
Old 3rd September 2021, 11:51 PM   #420
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
This is something, that those of us who are not right-wing, racist, fascist, scumbags have been dreading for some time.

Health outcomes are generally below the norm for Australia in aboriginal communities, and a lot of effort has been made to keep covid out.

There are fears that covid will rip through those communities like a wild fire.
Indeed. At least Qld, SA, WA, NT and Tas look like they have protected their indigenous communities. Vic has been pretty good, until the Shepparton outbreak, where there is a high indigenous population (Vic does, however have the lowest per capita indigenous population of all).

NSW has another major issue to be ashamed of.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 4th September 2021, 07:09 PM   #421
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

The ACT infections remain worrying. Per capita they are slightly higher than Victoria.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 4th September 2021, 07:52 PM   #422
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

The government loves holding up the Doherty report while exclusively citing it’s vaccination numbers when calling to open up but they better start resourcing hospitals that barely cope at the best of times. Then there are the remote communities in the NT with low vaccination numbers... hard to see us opening up to infection this year.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 4th September 2021 at 07:54 PM.
Old 4th September 2021, 09:49 PM   #423
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
The government loves holding up the Doherty report while exclusively citing itís vaccination numbers when calling to open up but they better start resourcing hospitals that barely cope at the best of times. Then there are the remote communities in the NT with low vaccination numbers... hard to see us opening up to infection this year.
I agree.

I could always be wrong, but I have a feeling that Vic numbers may have stabilised. NSW numbers moved quickly through the 100s before reaching 1,000 and north. If we stabilise at 200 and start dropping I think we will start coming out of lockdown before the magical 70% and 80%. But only for vaccinated people.

Andrews said today that they were working with the feds on linking vaccination status (which is recorded on my gov) and check in apps. Red light, no entry. Looking forward to this.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 4th September 2021, 10:09 PM   #424
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Everything about Morrison is political. Looks like his football team, the Sharks, are going to drop out of the finals in the last regular season game. Wonderful.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 5th September 2021, 01:15 AM   #425
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

What the Doherty report says and what the Government says it says are two different things. They do not mention this paragraph.
Quote:
Background
Modelling prepared for National Cabinet on the 4th June 2021 considered the likely impact of Astra Zeneca vaccines on transmission potential of the Alpha strain of SARS-CoV-2, as well as a more transmissible variant with properties similar to the Delta strain of the virus. That work demonstrated that even at very high levels of vaccine uptake (80% or above), suppression of epidemic growth below the critical reproduction number of one required to attain ‘herd immunity’ was unlikely for such a strain. However, substantive reductions in transmission potential could be achieved which, together with intermittent application of social measures, would constrain the rate and extent of epidemic growth. In addition, the decrease in disease severity in vaccinated individuals would lead to lower rates of hospitalisation, intensive care utilisation and death.
Ref: https://www.doherty.edu.au/uploads/c...m_20210810.pdf

Any documentation that says a person is fully vaccinated can be easily forged. Come to think of it even the Check in apps can be faked.

Ref: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ontact-tracing
Old 5th September 2021, 06:48 PM   #426
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Gladys caught out badly. She released modelling that purports to show that the NSW health system would have enough Intensive Care beds during the predicted peak times in October-November. The hospitalisation rate used in the model was 5.5%.

Know what the NSW hospitalisation rate has been? 11-12%.

She tried to defend this, but NSW reporters can, apparently, read. Gladys is a serial liar.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 5th September 2021 at 07:55 PM.
Old 5th September 2021, 06:57 PM   #427
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The ACT infections remain worrying. Per capita they are slightly higher than Victoria.
The trend line is not looking good.
Old 5th September 2021, 07:49 PM   #428
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The Prime Minister had a few words at the opening of the womens' safety summit today. They were... ah... not well-received.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-...ster/100436862
Old 5th September 2021, 10:12 PM   #429
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Gladys caught out badly. She released modelling that purports to show that the NSW health system would have enough Intensive Care beds during the predicted peak times in October-November. The hospitalisation rate used in the model was 5.5%.

Know what the NSW hospitalisation rate has been? 11-12%.

She tried to defend this, but NSW reporters can, apparently, read. Gladys is a serial liar.
No, she has been reading the wrong stuff. As premiers, they all have lots of stuff to contend with. So their PA's will usually organise what they need to see each day in their diaries, rather than supply everything unedited or expect them to do their own reading. So someone has been "editing" her reading list, possibly to "assist" her along the party line. So some party hack needs their butt kicked up to his or her back teeth. Gladys knows this - she is not entirely unaware of various developments, even from the headline-scavengers at News Ltd.

Example: Gladys keeps going on about the Doherty modeling with all this 70%/80%/whatever threshholds. That's the Scomo line - all his marketing has been to (mis)use that report to offer a positive spin and make him look like he is saving the country. Gladys is echoing that, despite numerous reports including from Doherty themselves that their report is not really applicable with Delta. Yet Scomo and thus Gladys keep pedalling that bike.

I'm seeing party politics here, for sure. Scomo is stringing Gladys along. Toe the party line, or NSW loses all the preferential federal support, aid and deals that have riled the other states. Gladys knows it will be downhill and off the edge for her from here if she does not. She's not a fool.
Old 5th September 2021, 10:17 PM   #430
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

You don’t even see an attempt to deceive? She knew what was in the model. She knew the hospitalisation rate would be queried. She said the model used Australian rather than NSW rates.

I can’t imagine a more blatant case of deception than this. Take one rate (11%) and NSW health is off the rails, take another (5.5%) and it just survives.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 5th September 2021, 11:51 PM   #431
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Leadership spill in the Vic Libs!
Old 6th September 2021, 06:52 AM   #432
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

You don’t even see an attempt to deceive?
Yes, but by coercion. I'm seeing that Scomo has told her that she either toes the party line which is his marketing spiel and gets preferential treatment, or she wears the consequences of NSW going it alone.

Quote:
She knew what was in the model. She knew the hospitalisation rate would be queried. She said the model used Australian rather than NSW rates.

I can’t imagine a more blatant case of deception than this. Take one rate (11%) and NSW health is off the rails, take another (5.5%) and it just survives.
That's more likely a slip of the tongue than deliberate deception. All pollies make total gaffes now and then. It's been tough having to stand up to the microphone every day for months and take the fire from the headline-generators of News Ltd continuously goading her into either making these mis-speaks or telling them to **** the hell off her lawn. Other premiers and spokes-bobbles have been equally daffy in some of their stuff as well, and the media pounced on them too. I give them all some leeway on this given the pressure.

Note I'm not excusing Gladys for her overall actions. She should really be telling Scomo that if he wants to take credit for saving Australia while the premiers do the work for him, he could really do a LOT better than try to catch up vaccine deliveries in the pissweak dribs and drabs he has wangled so far. A few hundred thousand shots per month is not even keeping up with current jab rates let alone "getting on top of it". But she isn't doing this. She should, and in public.

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 6th September 2021 at 06:53 AM.
Old 6th September 2021, 06:34 PM   #433
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

OíBrien did not even contest the ballot. We now have lacklustre Matthew Guy, thrashed at the last election and still with the stench dodgy planning approvals sticking with him. This will be a WA-style victory Andrews when itís election time next year.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 6th September 2021, 07:04 PM   #434
Orphia Nay
Tagger

"I signed up for a national plan to vaccinate Australia, not a national plan to vaccinate Sydney."

Dan Andrews just now.
Old 6th September 2021, 07:10 PM   #435
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

"I signed up for a national plan to vaccinate Australia, not a national plan to vaccinate Sydney."

Dan Andrews just now.
You listening, Scomo?
Old 6th September 2021, 07:13 PM   #436
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

OíBrien did not even contest the ballot. We now have lacklustre Matthew Guy, thrashed at the last election and still with the stench dodgy planning approvals sticking with him. This will be a WA-style victory Andrews when itís election time next year.
Andrews knows: Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
Old 6th September 2021, 07:17 PM   #437
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
You listening, Scomo?
Who is not exactly popular right now for skiving off to Sydney for the weekend.

ETA:
Woman 'spitting chips' over PM's Father's Day travel exemption, after being denied visit for mother's funeral

Quote:
Clare Hooper is one of many Australians who have family abroad. She has found the distance between her loved ones has become even more apparent when attempting to travel to the United Kingdom for her mother's funeral.

Ms Hooper has been living on the NSW Far South Coast in Narooma and was recently denied a travel exemption to fly overseas for her mother's funeral in late August.

She is angered that there seems to be a double standard for Australians, depending on their professional status.

"I am spitting chips; I am so, so angry," Ms Hooper said.

"My mother died a few weeks ago. I applied for an exemption to go to her funeral to support my 92-year-old father … and I was told my reason wasn't compelling enough.

"If you can play football, you can act and you're a film star or you've got a lot of money you have a much better chance of doing anything than someone who is as boring and untalented as me."

Last edited by arthwollipot; 6th September 2021 at 07:27 PM.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2021, 07:31 PM   #438
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Who is not exactly popular right now for skiving off to Sydney for the weekend.
Exactly what I was referring to. Skiving self-righteous bastard.
Old 6th September 2021, 08:09 PM   #439
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

From his presser today it didn't appear that he even understood why what he did was wrong. Even after Hawaii.
Old 6th September 2021, 08:14 PM   #440
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

From his presser today it didn't appear that he even understood why what he did was wrong. Even after Hawaii.
Correct - no, he doesn't understand. He was eventually forced to apologise after Hawaii, but he didn't actually learn the lesson therein. He lacks empathy let alone sympathy. VERY selfish.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics