IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th May 2022, 03:17 PM   #481
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Kathy Barnette (Republican) is running in the US Senate in PA and has a history of bigoted remarks against LGBTQ and Muslims.
Quote:
In many tweets, Barnette also spread the false conspiracy theory that former President Barack Obama is a Muslim.

In one speech uploaded to YouTube in 2015, Barnette forcefully argued it was OK to discriminate against Muslims and compared rejecting Islam to “… rejecting Hitler’s or Stalin’s worldviews.” In comments on her radio show, she said accepting homosexuality would lead to the accepting of incest and pedophilia. One post she wrote called a transgender person “deformed” and “demonic.”
Quote:
“If love is the litmus test, who are we to say, well, your love is legitimate love, same-sex couples, but your love, father and daughter, is not legitimate. Or your love, one man and three women, is not legitimate, or one older man and a 12-year-old child. If love is the litmus test, it becomes a very slippery slope. And that is where we, we find ourselves today.”

In one 2015 post, Barnette attacked the transgender former reality star and Olympic champion Caitlyn Jenner as “deformed” and “demonic,” while attacking what she called a “barrage to normalize sexual perversion.” In comments in the same post, Barnette warned of a “take-over” occurring by the “Homosexual agenda.”
Quote:
In one post from 2010, Barnette wrote the “homosexual AGENDA” seeks “domination.” In a post in 2013, Barnette said America couldn’t coexist with the “Homosexual agenda.”
Quote:
In one post, on her website, Barnette shared an obviously doctored image of a Muslim man holding up a sign in front of the rubble of the World Trade Center that said, “Vote Democrat! We need your help to kill you.”
Quote:
She tweeted in 2015, “There is nothing rational about Islam.” In another she wrote, “Pedophilia is a Cornerstone of Islam.”

In 2019, Barnette attacked Democratic Rep. Rashida Tlaib of Michigan for comments she made about Trump, tweeting she was a “MUSLIM” in all capital letters.

“Aren’t you all so glad you voted in the first ‘openly’ Palestinian Muslim? (Sarcasm for ya’ll who don’t get sarcasm),” wrote Barnette.
Quote:
“We have a president in office right now, Barack Hussein Obama,” she said in 2015 in a speech. “I try to mention his name as much as possible. Thinking that at some point a light bulb is going to go off in someone’s head.”

“Don’t we get it? Obama is a Muslim!” read one tweet in January 2016.

“Obama is a Muslim. Doing Muslim like THINGS!” read one 2016 tweet. One 2015 tweet called him “Muslim Obama.”
Those are the statements of a devout "Christian woman"? She sounds more like a bigoted, narrow-minded whack job to me.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2022, 03:22 PM   #482
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

Those are the statements of a devout "Christian woman"? She sounds more like a bigoted, narrow-minded whack job to me.
Your point being?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2022, 05:26 PM   #483
ZiprHead
Muse

Sounds like the perfect person for Democrats to crossover and vote for in the primary.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2022, 11:13 PM   #484
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Your point being?
Good point.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2022, 07:57 AM   #485
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

This is what happens if you're a filthy racist who incites murder and is too stupid to register obvious domain names for your campaign:

https://www.elisestefanik2022.com/

Quote:
I, Elise Stefanik, am a monster. I am a vile and disgusting politician who is responsible for the Buffalo NY shooting spree. How? What is in his manifesto is what I placed into his head. Why? Because I want power. I want votes. I don't want to lead. I want to rule. People will lose lives, but that's not my concern. I'm here for the exposure, the power, the control. I will continue to do everything in my power to raise White Supremacy higher than it's ever been.

No Klingon would put up with the GOP's ********.

When you least expect it... EXPECT IT!
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2022, 12:51 PM   #486
LongFuzzy
Critical Thinker

nvm

Last edited by LongFuzzy; 16th May 2022 at 12:52 PM.
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2022, 06:22 PM   #487
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I just realized that Stefanik is representative from Glens Falls. Not sure of the size of the district but I think it's pretty close to Rincewind and Magrat. What a bummer if she's their congresscritter!

I'd send thoughts and prayers if I were the praying sort, but will adopt the saying of a late friend, who settled on "sending up flares."

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2022, 08:11 PM   #488
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

By the way, just so it is understood by all, although I have no doubt that Ms. Stefanik is a terrible person in all sorts of ways, the website referenced above is a parody, written by a comedian who discovered that she had omitted to pay for the maintenance of her URL (well, she is a Trumpie, so I guess she emulates him in that too) so he bought it and took it over.

She maintains she's never said anything racist. Salt to taste.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2022, 12:02 AM   #489
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I just realized that Stefanik is representative from Glens Falls. Not sure of the size of the district but I think it's pretty close to Rincewind and Magrat. What a bummer if she's their congresscritter!

I'd send thoughts and prayers if I were the praying sort, but will adopt the saying of a late friend, who settled on "sending up flares."
If I hear one more NRA loving Republican say they're sending their worthless "thoughts and prayers" to shooting victims and their families, I can't be held responsible.
Old 17th May 2022, 10:45 AM   #490
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Kathy Barnette (Republican) is running in the US Senate in PA and has a history of bigoted remarks against LGBTQ and Muslims.

Barnette is living proof you can be black and a total bigot.
What is scary is that some people who are NOT on the right,,and should really know better.... are cutting her slack because she is black.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2022, 10:46 AM   #491
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
By the way, just so it is understood by all, although I have no doubt that Ms. Stefanik is a terrible person in all sorts of ways, the website referenced above is a parody, written by a comedian who discovered that she had omitted to pay for the maintenance of her URL (well, she is a Trumpie, so I guess she emulates him in that too) so he bought it and took it over.

She maintains she's never said anything racist. Salt to taste.
I don't know which is worse to be honestly...if that is the right word..racist, or t cyinically use racism, knowing it's nonsense, as a political tool.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2022, 10:47 AM   #492
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Your point being?
That someone who is black can be a bigoted wackjob.
Next question?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th May 2022, 10:49 AM   #493
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
Sounds like the perfect person for Democrats to crossover and vote for in the primary.
I am afraid if she wins the primary, some misguided people will vote for her in November just becuase she is black.
And yes, there are people on the liberal side who really are that stupid.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th May 2022, 02:24 PM   #494
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And the probably GOP candiate for Govenor might be worse then Barnette....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th May 2022, 03:19 PM   #495
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I got my first message from Barnett. I loved putting her on "Block". Along with the other several right-wing messages I get every day. NEVER go to a right-wing sight even out of curiosity. It's Karma getting back at you.
Old 17th May 2022, 03:30 PM   #496
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I got my first message from Barnett. I loved putting her on "Block". Along with the other several right-wing messages I get every day. NEVER go to a right-wing sight even out of curiosity. It's Karma getting back at you.
I am still angry that some on the left are , frankly, going soft on Barnett because she is black.
Mitt Romney is not the only one who has morons on his team.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th May 2022, 04:06 PM   #497
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I am still angry that some on the left are , frankly, going soft on Barnett because she is black.
Mitt Romney is not the only one who has morons on his team.
I don't care what color she is; she's a disgusting, small-minded, bigot.
Old 17th May 2022, 04:18 PM   #498
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I don't care what color she is; she's a disgusting, small-minded, bigot.
I 1000% agree but, sadly she is being cut slack she does not deserve because of her color by some morons.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th May 2022, 07:22 PM   #499
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I 1000% agree but, sadly she is being cut slack she does not deserve because of her color by some morons.
Sadly, you may be right. Fetterman does not pass certain “purity tests” that progressives have that annoy me. I take a Jim Wright approach to those tests.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2022, 08:56 PM   #500
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Sadly, you may be right. Fetterman does not pass certain “purity tests” that progressives have that annoy me. I take a Jim Wright approach to those tests.
Some progressives, perhaps. Not this one. He's not perfect, of course, and valid criticism should ever be taken into account, but there's reason why Fetterman's the outright winner by a large margin.
Old 17th May 2022, 11:27 PM   #501
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Madison Cawthorn has conceded to his primary challenger. Who knows if Edwards will be any better.
Old 17th May 2022, 11:51 PM   #502
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

And Dr Oz has a tiny lead in the GOP primary. I'm not sure if they have a runoff or if the count is final.

He doesn't even really live in Pennsylvania and he's sells supplements using fraudulent claims. It doesn't say much about the country (or that state at least) pulling out of the post fact world any time soon. Hopefully he'll be an easy target by the Democrat who will run against him. It's not like Oz won by any huge margin if he does win the primary. Maybe this is a GOP Senate seat that can be flipped.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2022, 12:16 AM   #503
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And Dr Oz has a tiny lead in the GOP primary. I'm not sure if they have a runoff or if the count is final.

He doesn't even really live in Pennsylvania and he's sells supplements using fraudulent claims. It doesn't say much about the country (or that state at least) pulling out of the post fact world any time soon. Hopefully he'll be an easy target by the Democrat who will run against him. It's not like Oz won by any huge margin if he does win the primary. Maybe this is a GOP Senate seat that can be flipped.
Probably not

Here in the UK they're predicting a "Wave" election for the Republicans resulting in big majorities in the House and Senate.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2022, 12:20 AM   #504
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Probably not

Here in the UK they're predicting a "Wave" election for the Republicans resulting in big majorities in the House and Senate.
I'm not listening to that doomsday crap. It sells news and that is the business model the big names stick to.

Check back when the primaries are over and the polls compare candidates instead of 'generic' GOP or Democratic Party polls.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2022, 06:00 AM   #505
Donal
Illuminator

And how "the economy" is doing. Or if there is any big news that comes out.

They base their prediction models on small sample sizes that don't account for the seismic shifts we've seen in politics over the last few decades.
Old 18th May 2022, 07:12 AM   #506
SuburbanTurkey

Nothing like small town politics!

Quote:
An Indiana man accused of murdering his wife and dumping her body in a creek has won a Republican primary election for a local township board position while in jail.

In the Tuesday primary, Andrew Wilhoite, 40, from Lebanon, Indiana, received 60 of the 276 total votes, securing his position as one of three GOP candidates on the ballot in November, Boone county election results showed.

In March, Wilhoite was charged with killing his wife, 41-year-old Elizabeth "Nikki" Wilhoite, after police accused him of fatally striking her head with a gallon-sized concrete flower pot during a dispute, the Indianapolis Star reported.
https://www.businessinsider.com/gop-...om-jail-2022-5
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2022, 07:23 AM   #507
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Madison Cawthorn has conceded to his primary challenger.
In five years he'll either be back in Congress or have a very successful 100% gay OnlyFans. Probably not both.
Old 18th May 2022, 08:54 AM   #508
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Nothing like small town politics!

https://www.businessinsider.com/gop-...om-jail-2022-5
Do you have me on ignore, or something?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...9#post13799769
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2022, 12:11 PM   #509
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
One of the more prominent "Progressives" who post here truly hates centrist and moderates, and seems to feel there is some vast hidden left wing vote our there waiting for the right candidate to come along. The Lost Tribe theory in full glory.
He also hates Biden because Biden beat Bernie.
That the Centrist they despise might hold the balance of power seems to elude them.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th May 2022, 12:11 PM   #510
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
In five years he'll either be back in Congress or have a very successful 100% gay OnlyFans. Probably not both.
I think he's through. I can't see a comeback for him.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th May 2022, 12:15 PM   #511
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I'm not listening to that doomsday crap. It sells news and that is the business model the big names stick to.

Check back when the primaries are over and the polls compare candidates instead of 'generic' GOP or Democratic Party polls.
The poster you are replying to has been a Cassandra predicting doom for years.
And as for how accurate some political reporting is,they were pretty much giving the Penn. GOP Senate nomination to Barnette as late as yesterday.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th May 2022, 12:35 PM   #512
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

The poster you are replying to has been a Cassandra predicting doom for years.
That's funny. When I saw that sentence I assumed she was replying to the guy that predicts civil war all the time.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2022, 12:38 PM   #513
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I think he's through. I can't see a comeback for him.
He'll be back, not in Congress (and maybe not OnlyFans), but his kind can always find a position among the scum that infest the world of fascist politics.

No Klingon would put up with the GOP's ********.

When you least expect it... EXPECT IT!
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2022, 12:55 PM   #514
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

One of the more prominent "Progressives" who post here truly hates centrist
and moderates, and seems to feel there is some vast hidden left wing vote
our there waiting for the right candidate to come along. The Lost Tribe theory
in full glory.

He also hates Biden because Biden beat Bernie.

That the Centrist they despise might hold the balance of power seems to elude them.

Well, the more moderate and centrist side will probably find comfort in
the Idaho Governors Race as more Republicans have switched over to
the Democratic Party.
Old 18th May 2022, 01:16 PM   #515
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
He'll be back, not in Congress (and maybe not OnlyFans), but his kind can always find a position among the scum that infest the world of fascist politics.
More and more these turds seem to be using their political careers as nothing but internships for their final forms as talking heads on conspiracy spewing hate networks and... there is just all kinds of wrong with that.

People shouldn't be destroying our democracy while in elected office, but they certainly certainly shouldn't be doing it as a side hustle on their way to destroying it more.
Old 18th May 2022, 01:18 PM   #516
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Well, the more moderate and centrist side will probably find comfort in
the Idaho Governors Race as more Republicans have switched over to
the Democratic Party.
Well, that's a surprise. Can you summarize the numbers because I think that link is going to be paywalled for most.

ETA: Maybe this link covers the issue:
https://www.npr.org/2022/05/17/10993...geachin-little

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 18th May 2022 at 01:21 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2022, 01:21 PM   #517
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Actually that might be a plan for Dems in red states; switch to the GOP and start voting for more moderate candidates in the primaries.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th May 2022, 02:49 PM   #518
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Actually that might be a plan for Dems in red states; switch to the GOP and start voting for more moderate candidates in the primaries.
More moderate would be more electable. Do the opposite.
Old 18th May 2022, 02:58 PM   #519
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I am 100% done with that line of thinking. Lots of people were sure the GOP had guaranteed Clinton's victory by choosing Trump. Let's not hope obviously incompetent GOP candidates make electing Democrats easier. We need Democrats that can beat a strong candidate. And we need that opposition candidate not to be a disaster, in case they win anyway.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2022, 04:46 PM   #520
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
That's what I used to do.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics