IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th May 2022, 11:17 PM   #521
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
More moderate would be more electable. Do the opposite.
Not in deeply red states IMO - they will return a Republican regardless of their views.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2022, 11:31 PM   #522
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The poster you are replying to has been a Cassandra predicting doom for years.
And as for how accurate some political reporting is,they were pretty much giving the Penn. GOP Senate nomination to Barnette as late as yesterday.
I hate to see the BS message about the GOP taking control of either house of Congress amplified by posts here. Yeah, so what it's usual in a midterm election? Like this midterm is 'usual'.

People need to be aware they are repeating an unfounded message just because the news media keeps amplifying it. The news media doesn't have any evidence either except 'it's common'.

I'm considering some people here post in other forums, FB, Twitter and whatnot.

Stop amplifying that message! You know who you are.

That's it, carry on.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2022, 11:33 PM   #523
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Well, the more moderate and centrist side will probably find comfort in
the Idaho Governors Race as more Republicans have switched over to
the Democratic Party.
Good news!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2022, 11:38 PM   #524
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Well, that's a surprise. Can you summarize the numbers because I think that link is going to be paywalled for most.

ETA: Maybe this link covers the issue:
https://www.npr.org/2022/05/17/10993...geachin-little
The 'numbers' aren't what the article was about.

Quote:
All Democratic candidates for Idaho governor have been registered Republicans

...The only name on the Democratic primary ballot for governor has run for office as a Republican. Stephen Heidt, of Marsing, told the Idaho Statesman that he has been an unaffiliated voter since the 1990s. He ran for Congress as a Republican twice in Utah, once in 1986 and again in 1994.

In March 2020, he registered as a Democrat because he thought the party was “most in line” with his values, he said.

Heidt isn’t the only one with ties to the Republican Party. Sandpoint Mayor Shelby Rognstad, a write-in candidate hoping to secure the nomination, was unable to make the candidate filing deadline last month because he was a registered Republican. He said his past affiliation with the GOP was strategic....
IOW the candidates themselves switched parties.
Old 18th May 2022, 11:40 PM   #525
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Thank you.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2022, 11:41 PM   #526
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

"The thread for stupidity from GQP politicians who don't have their own thread"

We're gonna need a bigger thread.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2022, 12:11 AM   #527
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Thank you.
No worries, mate. But I don't think the Idaho Statesmen is paywalled.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 19th May 2022 at 12:13 AM.
Old 19th May 2022, 08:07 AM   #528
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
No worries, mate. But I don't think the Idaho Statesmen is paywalled.
Seems to be. You may be sharing your google or facebook profile with them if you don't see a paywall I think. Not everyone wants to do that.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2022, 12:06 PM   #529
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Seems to be. You may be sharing your google or facebook profile with them if you don't see a paywall I think. Not everyone wants to do that.
If I am they won't get much out of it since I don't use Google search and I don't post anything on my FB page. The only thing I do with FB is check my cousins' brother's and one friend's FB pages when they post stuff.
Old 19th May 2022, 12:32 PM   #530
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The poster you are replying to has been a Cassandra predicting doom for years.
And as for how accurate some political reporting is,they were pretty much giving the Penn. GOP Senate nomination to Barnette as late as yesterday.
Cassandra was “was a Trojan priestess of Apollo in Greek mythology cursed to utter true prophecies, but never to be believed. In modern usage her name is employed as a rhetorical device to indicate someone whose accurate prophecies are not believed.”

I believe that The Don predicted Trump would win in 2016 and nobody believed him.

(Also in 2020, though).
Old 19th May 2022, 12:58 PM   #531
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

It's not paywalled for me and I don't have a Google or Facebook account. Maybe they just don't like you.

No Klingon would put up with the GOP's ********.

When you least expect it... EXPECT IT!
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2022, 02:11 PM   #532
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Not sure I want Idaho to like me.
Old 19th May 2022, 02:40 PM   #533
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Not sure I want Idaho to like me.
Maybe you just need your own private Idaho.

https://youtu.be/yXmnmvDl-ao

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 19th May 2022 at 02:42 PM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2022, 03:30 PM   #534
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

Crazy like a fox?

The Milwaukee Sentinel had an editorial on Senator Ron Johnson (R-WI) on the eve of 6 January 2021.

"But Johnson's stunt will do harm to our democracy. What precedent is being set here? What happens the next time a party — either party — loses the presidency narrowly while controlling both houses of Congress? Will those politicians do what Johnson and his hyperpartisan mob are doing? Will they make up lies about the election, cry voter fraud, complain about voting machines, election officials and any other ghost they can conjure?"

As I have discussed in other threads, Senator Johnson has also promoted strange ideas regarding vaccines and treatments related to Covid-19: "Instead of supporting the best available knowledge, Johnson gave voice to a baseless theory that the medical community wanted to deny patients drugs like hydroxychloroquine because they were cheaper than other treatments."

At MSNBC Steve Bennen wrote, Nearly a year ago, The New York Times described Wisconsin Sen. Ron Johnson as "the Republican Party's foremost amplifier of conspiracy theories and disinformation." It was an accurate description the GOP senator earned in a wide variety of ways...To the extent that reality still matters, there's no evidence of election irregularities in Milwaukee. If Johnson has anything to substantiate "suspicions" about the city's election results, he's kept it to himself."

Conspiracy theories regarding both the election and the pandemic? Hmmm.
Old 21st May 2022, 04:53 AM   #535
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

The Economist's assessment of Kevin McCarthy

In the 30 April-6 May edition of The Economist, the anonymous columnist Lexington wrote about Representative Kevin McCarthy. "...the affable congressmen has taken different sides of most big questions and, as the architect of no major policy, never threatened to settle any of them...And it now transpires that his role in covering up Mr. Trump's role in last year's riot on Capitol Hill was even more dishonest than was previously known."
Old 21st May 2022, 01:24 PM   #536
shemp

Maternal death rate isn't as bad if you don't count Black women, GOP senator says

Quote:
Louisiana Sen. Bill Cassidy said that the state's poor maternal mortality rate is only an "outlier" because of the high proportion of Black women in the state, according to Politico.

Cassidy's comment was featured in Politico's in-depth exploration of Louisiana's maternal death rates, which are among the worst in the country. The state ranks 47 out of 48 states assessed for maternal deaths, state officials said.

Cassidy told the outlet that this is partly because "about a third of our population is African American; African Americans have a higher incidence of maternal mortality.

"So, if you correct our population for race, we're not as much of an outlier as it'd otherwise appear."

He continued: "Now, I say that not to minimize the issue but to focus the issue as to where it would be. For whatever reason, people of color have a higher incidence of maternal mortality."
tl/dr: "If we didn't have all these damn Black people, Louisiana would be a pretty nice place to live!"

shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2022, 01:35 PM   #537
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

"For whatever reason...." Whatever could that be, I wonder?

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2022, 02:31 PM   #538
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Maternal death rate isn't as bad if you don't count Black women, GOP senator says

tl/dr: "If we didn't have all these damn Black people, Louisiana would be a pretty nice place to live!"
And if you don't count the number of homicides of black people by guns in MS, we wouldn't have the 3rd-highest rate of gun homicides in the country!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2022, 06:48 PM   #539
Lurch
Master Poster

Shades of the Orange Sphincter not wanting to let a cruise ship with COVID-infected persons aboard come in to dock because it would "increase the numbers."

They're like kids in their instinct to ignore discomfiting truths.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2022, 06:52 PM   #540
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Shades of the Orange Sphincter not wanting to let a cruise ship with COVID-infected persons aboard come in to dock because it would "increase the HIS numbers."

They're like kids in their instinct to ignore discomfiting truths.
That was the real issue. He didn't give a diddly-squat about anyone but his own perception.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2022, 12:11 PM   #541
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Georgia Republican gubernatorial candidate Kandiss Taylor said “our founding fathers” came to “destroy American Indians’ homes and their land” to secure “our right to worship Jesus freely.”

Video in link

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/sta...15817586900993
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2022, 12:38 PM   #542
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Georgia Republican gubernatorial candidate Kandiss Taylor said “our founding fathers” came to “destroy American Indians’ homes and their land” to secure “our right to worship Jesus freely.”

Video in link

Well, in an awful sort of way, she's right. And I suspect one or two people on this forum would agree with the candidate, that we cannot condemn an action on immediate moral grounds without taking into account how it all shakes out in the end. It would be unwarranted liberal utopianism to suggest that we should not murder, exile and destroy the culture of the native Americans without reckoning the value of the culture that now exists. Kill a Cherokee for Christ.

Last edited by bruto; 22nd May 2022 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Cherokees make more sense than Comanches in Georgia
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2022, 02:12 PM   #543
shemp

Video in link

I read the New Testament when I was young, but I must have missed the part where Jesus said "Thou shalt commit genocide in my name."

Old 22nd May 2022, 03:12 PM   #544
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I read the New Testament when I was young, but I must have missed the part where Jesus said "Thou shalt commit genocide in my name."
It's in the old one, the one of which not a jot or tittle will be erased. You know, the parts about taking cities and killing every male person and animal and any creature that pisseth against a wall, children too. It was all right to rape the women, of course, and enslave them after. I mean, we're not savages!

By the way, I do suggest that you do NOT go googling for "genocide in the old testament," and NOT read the smarmy justifications the Bible-swingers find for this. Although it might tell you something about the clowns who are ruining our country as we speak, it will not fill you with wisdom. In fact, I might suggest that even if you are among those who hold with certain ideas, it will not fill you with the holy spirit.

Old 22nd May 2022, 05:24 PM   #545
shemp

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It's in the old one, the one of which not a jot or tittle will be erased. You know, the parts about taking cities and killing every male person and animal and any creature that pisseth against a wall, children too. It was all right to rape the women, of course, and enslave them after. I mean, we're not savages!

By the way, I do suggest that you do NOT go googling for "genocide in the old testament," and NOT read the smarmy justifications the Bible-swingers find for this. Although it might tell you something about the clowns who are ruining our country as we speak, it will not fill you with wisdom. In fact, I might suggest that even if you are among those who hold with certain ideas, it will not fill you with the holy spirit.
Well, the subject was the right to worship Jesus freely, and I don't think he was in the Old Testament. But I've not read the whole Old Testament, I got bored when I got to all the "So-and-so begat So-and-so" stuff. I don't really think I missed much by not reading the prequel. So I'll defer to your superior knowledge of it.

Old 22nd May 2022, 05:27 PM   #546
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Video in link

"The First Amendment, which is our right to worship Jesus freely...."

Well, there's your problem, you moron. The 1A never mentions "Jesus" but does explicitly state that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" so there goes your "“Jesus, guns, and babies” slogan":

Quote:
“Don't talk to me about separation of church and state.”

“We are the church and we run the state.”

“[Jews, Muslims, and Buddhists] don't get to silence us.”

If Kandiss Taylor ever gets elected; we're gonna need a WAY bigger thread.

She is further proof that someone can be IQ intelligent and well-educated but be a complete idiot at the same time. Dr....yes...I said 'doctor" Taylor has a Ph.D in..wait for it...counseling and supervision and a BA in Early Childhood Education.

I wouldn't let this fanatic anywhere near my child.
Old 22nd May 2022, 05:29 PM   #547
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The 'old one' is the one with all the good sex in it!
Old 22nd May 2022, 07:16 PM   #548
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
"The First Amendment, which is our right to worship Jesus freely...."

Well, there's your problem, you moron. The 1A never mentions "Jesus" but does explicitly state that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" so there goes your "“Jesus, guns, and babies” slogan":

If Kandiss Taylor ever gets elected; we're gonna need a WAY bigger thread.

She is further proof that someone can be IQ intelligent and well-educated but be a complete idiot at the same time. Dr....yes...I said 'doctor" Taylor has a Ph.D in..wait for it...counseling and supervision and a BA in Early Childhood Education.

I wouldn't let this fanatic anywhere near my child.
'Educated', or indoctrinated?
Ok, that's a little harsh. But schooled for sure.
Typical 6 years to a Masters then the one year for an Edu rider, all at a major Georgia uni (Georgia Southern).
But then went to Virginia's ultra Christian uni Regent and took NINE years to get an education doctorate. Not physics or medicine...education.
I can't find much of a bio on her so while there are a multitude of legit reasons (I think she's been county or GA state Board of Ed since the Masters), I'm left to speculate.
Or not.... I've just spent more time thinking of this horribly bigoted woman than I care to, I'm out.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2022, 07:40 PM   #549
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Well, the subject was the right to worship Jesus freely, and I don't think he was in the Old Testament. But I've not read the whole Old Testament, I got bored when I got to all the "So-and-so begat So-and-so" stuff. I don't really think I missed much by not reading the prequel. So I'll defer to your superior knowledge of it.
According to some, Jesus was prophesied in the OT, and as I mentioned, he did say not one jot or tittle of the ancient law was rescinded, and his testament was the old one, after all, so by definition the genocide of the Bible is good Grade A genocide, wholesome and Kosher to boot. When you're going down the list of "what would Jesus do" it's there under the sub-heading of "grandfather clauses."

Old 22nd May 2022, 08:38 PM   #550
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Not a politician, but certainly a political figure: Why did Lara Logan go off the deep end?
Quote:
When Lara Logan reached the heights of American journalism more than a decade ago, as the chief foreign affairs correspondent for CBS News, her bosses didn’t think twice about sending her to cover the biggest stories in the world.
But today Logan cuts a far different figure in American media. Instead of on national news broadcasts, she can be found as a guest on right-wing podcasts or speaking at a rally for fringe causes, promoting falsehoods about deaths from COVID vaccines and conspiracy theories about voter fraud.

Recently, she downplayed the seriousness of the Jan. 6, 2021, assault on the Capitol on one of those shows. “This is now the crime of the century?” she asked sarcastically. She has echoed pro-Kremlin attacks on the United States, accusing Americans of “arming the Nazis of Ukraine.” And she has compared Dr. Anthony Fauci and Hillary Rodham Clinton to some of Hitler’s most notorious henchmen.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/lara-loga...154128056.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2022, 02:05 AM   #551
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Kandiss Taylor says she will execute Sheriffs by firing squad if they don’t “do the will of the people. I don’t mind handcuffing them either .. The Constitution says when you commit treason, it’s death by firing squad. I didn’t write it - it’s in there.”

Video in link

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/s...43821293461505
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2022, 03:21 AM   #552
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Firing squads in the age of smoothbore musketry…..sure.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2022, 07:03 AM   #553
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Kandiss Taylor says she will execute Sheriffs by firing squad if they don’t “do the will of the people. I don’t mind handcuffing them either .. The Constitution says when you commit treason, it’s death by firing squad. I didn’t write it - it’s in there.”

Video in link

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/s...43821293461505
I hope someone reminds her that the Constitution actually exists in writing, and aside from not saying "it's death by firing squad" it also defines what treason is. It's OK not to have written it, but it's less so not to have read it.

I realize that for the most part this is preaching to the choir here, but since there do seem to be some people here with an iffy view of what is right and wrong, and what is actually in the Constitution, I figure it's worthwhile mentioning that it's NOT in there.

Old 23rd May 2022, 07:07 AM   #554
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

She seems to be another example of a basic flaw in the primary system: Anybody with some money can be a candidate. She has no chance of winning, but she can create confusion and controversy, and distract the media. I don't know if a return to nominating conventions would be better, but there should be a way to keep nutjobs off the ballot.

Last edited by Bob001; 23rd May 2022 at 07:08 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2022, 08:21 AM   #555
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
She seems to be another example of a basic flaw in the primary system: Anybody with some money can be a candidate. She has no chance of winning, but she can create confusion and controversy, and distract the media. I don't know if a return to nominating conventions would be better, but there should be a way to keep nutjobs off the ballot.
Are you absolutely sure ?

In today's GOP ?

Even if she were to get Donald Trump's backing ?

So-called "Nutjobs" seem to represent the Republican mainstream these days.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2022, 09:02 AM   #556
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Are you absolutely sure ?

In today's GOP ?

Even if she were to get Donald Trump's backing ?

So-called "Nutjobs" seem to represent the Republican mainstream these days.

Trump has endorsed David Purdue against incumbent Brian Kemp, who is way ahead. She is polling around one to three percent in a five-way race. In a rational system she wouldn't be there at all.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/23/polit...nor/index.html
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:12 AM   #557
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

I hope someone reminds her that the Constitution actually exists in writing, and aside from not saying "it's death by firing squad" it also defines what treason is. It's OK not to have written it, but it's less so not to have read it.

I realize that for the most part this is preaching to the choir here, but since there do seem to be some people here with an iffy view of what is right and wrong, and what is actually in the Constitution, I figure it's worthwhile mentioning that it's NOT in there.
Our countrymen in the Wacko Corral love to toss about indiscriminate use of Constitution and constitutional in their blatherings nearly as often as they share recipes for Trump Butthole Fondue.
Old 23rd May 2022, 11:50 AM   #558
Paul2
Philosopher

It certainly is worth it, thank you, and the Constitution is certainly something she should have read. But her tactic, I think, is not to display one's erudite knowledge, it's to use the buzzwords and trigger words that signal to one's tribe, and the more outrageous, the better, because it means you're doubling down as a member/leader of the tribe.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2022, 12:43 PM   #559
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Trump has endorsed David Purdue against incumbent Brian Kemp, who is way ahead. She is polling around one to three percent in a five-way race. In a rational system she wouldn't be there at all.
But since she is, certain unfortunate conclusions arise.

Old 23rd May 2022, 01:00 PM   #560
Donal
Illuminator

I don't think Perdue will be one of the ones to do this, but I really wonder what happens when Trump-backed candidates who lose their primaries run as third-party candidates. And how many times the lunatic not-so-fringe simply doesn't come out for "rino" candidates in the general.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics