IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags UK issues , uk politics

Old 31st March 2022, 06:50 AM   #561
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Truth is, the UK doesn't want asylum seekers but cannot mouth the words, so claim a fear of spies and terrorists, instead.
I disagree. Time and again both in opinion polls and in their actions, the British public have shown great support for asylum seekers, especially the "good" kind (white, nominally Christian).

The problem is that the government is pandering to their "gammon" base who are vehemently anti asylum seeker but who are a comparatively small minority of the overall population.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 09:10 AM   #562
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I disagree. Time and again both in opinion polls and in their actions, the British public have shown great support for asylum seekers, especially the "good" kind (white, nominally Christian).

The problem is that the government is pandering to their "gammon" base who are vehemently anti asylum seeker but who are a comparatively small minority of the overall population.
When I said 'the UK doesn't want asylum seekers', I was referring to the government. It is the Tory government which is responsible for the rules.

Yvette Cooper, together with Caroline Lucas, has been campaigning hard for the refugees. Unfortunately, their parties are not in power. So one is stuck with Patel and Gove who as Gove says, 'Have had it up to here' with people knocking the Brits re welcoming refugees.. Gove lied and claimed the UK let in Jewish refugees in WWII, when in fact, it only let in children via the Kinder transport system.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 09:24 AM   #563
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
When asked in PMQs and at this afternoons Committee appearance he said he doesn't know how many are actually in the UK yet.

Either he didn't bother to find out or he no one can tell him.

I expect it’s something to do with taking control of our borders.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 11:12 AM   #564
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ernity-scandal

Well, The Saj, can I introduce you to some folk who might be able to help? Andrew Lansley? Jeremy Hunt? Their junior ministerial teams? The folk in your party and the Lib Dems who voted through Lansley's 2012 bill? Anyone else who has been in your job since the 2010 election?

Who the **** do you think was responsible for hacking budgets around, reducing staffing levels, cutting training numbers for nurses and medics?

Really mate, just read the piece in The Graun by a midwife? Read any amount of nursey press and blogs (some even written by me) about how you ******** have screwed over the NHS since you've been in government in the last 12 years - I'll spare you the stuff about the lingering damage done by Thatcher and her cronies, but that is still relevant.

NB I am not pretending that all was roses and milk and honey at Telford, let alone Morecambe Bay, but seriously the politicians and commissioners (who always seem to escape criticism) need to take a bow here.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 12:25 AM   #565
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

When I went to bed last night I noted that the UK government was planning to reverse its promise to ban so-called "conversion therapy".

Then I checked this morning and found that they had u-turned again and the ban is to go ahead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60947028

Unfortunately, transgender people will still be subjected to conversion therapy.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 02:01 AM   #566
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

When I went to bed last night I noted that the UK government was planning to reverse its promise to ban so-called "conversion therapy".

Then I checked this morning and found that they had u-turned again and the ban is to go ahead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60947028

Unfortunately, transgender people will still be subjected to conversion therapy.
I can't make any sense of the reports, but the actual bill isn't out yet, so we shall see what is really in that.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 03:19 AM   #567
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ernity-scandal

Well, The Saj, can I introduce you to some folk who might be able to help? Andrew Lansley? Jeremy Hunt? Their junior ministerial teams? The folk in your party and the Lib Dems who voted through Lansley's 2012 bill? Anyone else who has been in your job since the 2010 election?

..snip..
Labour of course - they mismanaged the world economy, the collapse of the USA sub-prime market was their fault, plus they bankrupted us with illegal wars, they'd have had us all confined to our homes during the pandemic and if they'd have been in power energy bills would have gone up even more.

I wish the above was sarcasm - but I have heard or read all of the above over the last week.
Old 2nd April 2022, 01:51 AM   #568
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Labour of course - they mismanaged the world economy, the collapse of the USA sub-prime market was their fault, plus they bankrupted us with illegal wars, they'd have had us all confined to our homes during the pandemic and if they'd have been in power energy bills would have gone up even more.

I wish the above was sarcasm - but I have heard or read all of the above over the last week.
You pretty much quoted verbatum Johnson's answer to any question Starmer asks him at PMQs, irrespective of subject. You just need to throw in some alliteration and juvenile name calling.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2022, 02:44 AM   #569
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
You pretty much quoted verbatum Johnson's answer to any question Starmer asks him at PMQs, irrespective of subject. You just need to throw in some alliteration and juvenile name calling.
Yup. "Captain hindsight" and "He wants to take us into the EU"

I thought parliamentary rules meant that MPs were supposed to refer to other MPs by their titles.

And it's not hindsight if you are criticising inaction after the event when you were calling for action before the event.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2022, 02:55 AM   #570
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

"Under this Conservative government, We've seen the biggest reduction in taxes for a quarter of a century"

video in link

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status...55596586172420
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2022, 04:09 AM   #571
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

"Under this Conservative government, We've seen the biggest reduction in taxes for a quarter of a century"

video in link

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status...55596586172420
I guess it's true if you only consider income tax and you include the tax cut that's been announced but which may never be implemented.
Old 2nd April 2022, 12:24 PM   #572
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60967143
Conservative MP David Warburton has been suspended from the parliamentary party pending an investigation into allegations about his conduct.
Apparently “sex and drugs” - wonder which party that was?
Old 2nd April 2022, 12:35 PM   #573
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60967143
Conservative MP David Warburton has been suspended from the parliamentary party pending an investigation into allegations about his conduct.
Apparently “sex and drugs” - wonder which party that was?
Now that would be a nice twist.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2022, 02:13 PM   #574
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Zahawi wants school pupils to read racist language. I suppose it makes a kind of sense, it does mean they'll be able to read his boss's old newspaper columns.

http://countypress.co.uk/news/nation...-racial-slurs/

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2022, 02:25 PM   #575
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Is it fair to assume that cocaine use is quite prevalent in Westminster?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2022, 02:03 AM   #576
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Of course, you can't expect them to make it through the day with nothing but thirty subsidised bars to keep them going.

Old 4th April 2022, 02:08 AM   #577
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

How else is a man undergoing a midlife crisis supposed to lose six stone during lockdown ?

Quote:
An MP who was previously classed obese has described how he managed to lose six stone in less than a year.

David Warburton, Conservative MP for Somerton and Frome, said he "got a bit obsessed" using a home gym during the first coronavirus lockdown in March.

He is now a healthy weight after using a second hand treadmill and weights.

Mr Warburton has been praised by the Health Secretary Matt Hancock for his efforts.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-55786913
Old 4th April 2022, 03:12 AM   #578
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Being praised by Matt Hancock is surely the kiss of death to anyone.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2022, 04:39 AM   #579
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Mogg on LBC this morning said Boris was given the "wrong information" over parties in Downing Street.
He said Boris had not deliberately misled MPs as he was told there hadn't been any. I wonder if that includes the ones he was at?
Old 4th April 2022, 07:48 AM   #580
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Mogg on LBC this morning said Boris was given the "wrong information" over parties in Downing Street.
He said Boris had not deliberately misled MPs as he was told there hadn't been any. I wonder if that includes the ones he was at?
Carrie lied to him?

Old 4th April 2022, 08:00 AM   #581
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Cue release of emails from Johnson thanking* people for the invites to parties.

And excuses that he's not expected to read the emails that are sent out by him.

*well accepting invites if the booze is free and he's guest of honor.

Old 4th April 2022, 04:21 PM   #582
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Government says Channel 4 will be sold by 2024

Dorries statement

Quote:
Channel 4 rightly holds a cherished place in British life and I want that to remain the case. I have come to the conclusion that government ownership is holding Channel 4 back from competing against streaming giants like Netflix and Amazon.
A change of ownership will give Channel 4 the tools and freedom to flourish and thrive as a public service broadcaster long into the future. I will set out the future plan for Channel 4 in a White Paper in due course.
I will seek to reinvest the proceeds of the sale into levelling up the creative sector, putting money into independent production and creative skills in priority parts of the country - delivering a creative dividend for all.
https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/st...76442980896769
Old 4th April 2022, 04:23 PM   #583
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Why does she think it's Channel 4s job to compete with Netflix or Amazon?

How does she think they will be able to do that when their streaming service is free?

If they make it subscription are they still a 'public service broadcaster'?
Old 5th April 2022, 02:39 AM   #584
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

How does she think they will be able to do that when their streaming service is free?

Considering she thinks it gets public money. It doesn't, it's self funding. That it's owned by "the Government" rather than the country & doesn't understand that as it's charter prevents it making it's own content it already supports independent production far more than if it's non-profit remit was replaced by dividend hungry shareholders, I think we can assume she's thick or lying. Sorry "and".

This is cultural vandalism, the revenge they promised when no-show Johnson was replaced with an ice sculpture before the election.

Old 5th April 2022, 03:45 AM   #585
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Assumes facts not in evidence
Old 5th April 2022, 04:43 AM   #586
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Just when you think this bunch of idiotic, crooked self, serving narcissists have done everything they can to mess us all up, they latch onto the 21st C’s very own Ponzi scheme.

The Treasury says theChancellor has asked the Royal Mint to create an NFT to be "issued by the summer."

Apparently it "shows the the forward-looking approach we are determined to take towards cryptoassets in the UK."
Old 5th April 2022, 08:46 PM   #587
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Impeccable timing, announcing it as future-proofing and forward-looking, on the same day an/the official F1 NFT game shuts down
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2022, 03:44 AM   #588
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

A lesson in how to hold back war refugees while giving the illusion of helping.
Announce you have issued 4000 visas but don’t tell anyone you are issuing to just one person in each family so no one travels.

Another hoop is being asked to prove they left Ukraine after Feb 24th otherwise they don't qualify for a visa as a refugee.

Despite what they say in public, it's obvious that Boris and his cronies don't want Ukrainian refugees in Britain, and hope making it so difficult they just won't come.

"We wanted to take 200,000, but...".

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 6th April 2022 at 03:49 AM.
Old 6th April 2022, 03:51 AM   #589
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Patel keeps on mentioning countries in Africa and elsewhere as being receptive to the idea of building UK migrants processing centres, only for the country to say no a few days later.
Today it's Rwanda.
Who knows what it will be next week...
Old 6th April 2022, 03:56 AM   #590
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Indeed. "Tell 'em there weren't any parties. It'll be fine" was the wrong information.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2022, 04:52 AM   #591
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Indeed. "Tell 'em there weren't any parties. It'll be fine" was the wrong information.

“OK, how about calling them vigils?”

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2022, 05:01 AM   #592
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

A lesson in how to hold back war refugees while giving the illusion of helping.
Announce you have issued 4000 visas but don’t tell anyone you are issuing to just one person in each family so no one travels.

Another hoop is being asked to prove they left Ukraine after Feb 24th otherwise they don't qualify for a visa as a refugee.

Despite what they say in public, it's obvious that Boris and his cronies don't want Ukrainian refugees in Britain, and hope making it so difficult they just won't come.

"We wanted to take 200,000, but...".
Exactly. When people - small children - are obviously fleeing war and terror, you give them the benefit of a doubt and give them shelter and then sort out the paperwork later. Here in Finland, the Ukrainian kids started their new schools almost immediately as many of the Ukrainian mothers are trained school teachers. They have had to queue up for ID (to live in Finland you have to register an address) and there were stories of queues starting at 4:00am with the police registration centres shut at midday in freezing snow and ice and their having to do it all over again the next day. After a newspaper ran the story, they opened an adjacent building as a waiting room, brought in a ticketing system whereby you got a queue number so you could go way for an hour or so, plus hot drinks and even a barbeque, and brought in extra staff.

Compare and contrast the UK fiasco at Calais and Lille and the demand by officials for utility bills dated at least January 2022, when you've - hello? - literally just had to run down a road covered in rubble and potholes caused by tanks and artillery shells, with your kids and pet dog and cat, terrified that some sniper was going to shoot you at any moment, followed by an extremely stressful train journey with many changes and overcrowding.

Old 6th April 2022, 05:02 AM   #593
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
“OK, how about calling them vigils?”
They would get whacked by the police and arrested for that
Old 6th April 2022, 05:09 AM   #594
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Patel keeps on mentioning countries in Africa and elsewhere as being receptive to the idea of building UK migrants processing centres, only for the country to say no a few days later.
Today it's Rwanda.
Who knows what it will be next week...
It is impossible to decide which member of the cabinet is the most stupid. One day it's Johnson, next day it was Hancock, then dim Dom Raab, then Truss, then Shapps (or whatever he calls himself today), nope, here's Rees-Mogg coming up from behind... then along comes ...<fx commentator gets hysterical> we have Nadine Dorries on the outside in a last minute bid to snatch the title of Daftest Twit. Oh hello, here comes Patel at the final furlong neck and neck and by a nose, screaming, 'Hold my beer!!! I'm going to send all the migrants to Rwanda!'

Old 6th April 2022, 07:53 AM   #595
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

As expected Boris Johnson is reactionary when it comes to transgender women in sport.

Quote:
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson says he does not believe transgender women should compete in female sporting events
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/61012030
Old 6th April 2022, 08:01 AM   #596
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
It is impossible to decide which member of the cabinet is the most stupid. One day it's Johnson, next day it was Hancock, then dim Dom Raab, then Truss, then Shapps (or whatever he calls himself today), nope, here's Rees-Mogg coming up from behind... then along comes ...<fx commentator gets hysterical> we have Nadine Dorries on the outside in a last minute bid to snatch the title of Daftest Twit. Oh hello, here comes Patel at the final furlong neck and neck and by a nose, screaming, 'Hold my beer!!! I'm going to send all the migrants to Rwanda!'
Don't forget the one-man campaign against nominative determinism - "James (Member for Braintree) Cleverley"

Old 6th April 2022, 08:04 AM   #597
Lothian
should be banned

As expected Boris Johnson is reactionary when it comes to transgender women in sport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/61012030
Perhaps populist rather than reactionary. I agree with him on this issue but will perhaps find a better thread to say why.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2022, 08:11 AM   #598
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Perhaps populist rather than reactionary. I agree with him on this issue but will perhaps find a better thread to say why.
Agreed. He may be playing the populist card, but i believe the science agrees with his conclusion. Needs its own thread

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2022, 08:37 AM   #599
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
Agreed. He may be playing the populist card, but i believe the science agrees with his conclusion. Needs its own thread

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Started one in sport

Last edited by Lothian; 6th April 2022 at 08:48 AM.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2022, 11:33 AM   #600
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

George Galloway, who is the host of 'Sputnik' a show on Russia Today tv channel, has the show listed in his Twitter profile description.

He tweeted today
Quote:

George Galloway
@georgegalloway
Russia state-affiliated media

Dear @TwitterSupport I am not “Russian State Affiliated media”. I work for NO #Russian media. I have 400,000 followers. I’m the leader of a British political party and spent nearly 30 years in the British parliament. If you do not remove this designation I will take legal action.
There is also a big ad on the RY website for Galloway and his show on Saturday nights.

ETA
he has since deleted the @rt-sputnik tag from twitter but the ad is still on his Facebook page.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 6th April 2022 at 11:37 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics