IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Coronavirus conspiracies , diseases , medical conspiracies

Old 10th April 2022, 10:18 AM   #441
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Maybe. Most of the conspiratorial input wasn't about the pandemic, though, was it? It was about the supposed deadly effects of vaccinations, and the imminent establishment of a global fascist regime, and all that.
Perhaps- and this may be wildly optimistic- the complete absence of those things has led those people to reassess their beliefs.
Well, zillions of us should be dying off now having been cruelly 'vaccicuted', but oddly we are not.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2022, 10:50 AM   #442
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Well, zillions of us should be dying off now having been cruelly 'vaccicuted', but oddly we are not.
That, or turned gay, or turned into a crocodile, or turned into a microchip- controlled zombie, or linked up to AI, etc. etc.
One would hope that none of this being remotely true might give pause for thought. Someone did post something here about how the anti-vax movement in Australia was subsiding, so it may be happening.

'Of course it can be OK to mistreat people.'- shuttlt
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2022, 12:04 PM   #443
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

The virus that caused the 1918 pandemic mutated to a less virulent strain.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2022, 01:31 PM   #444
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

It seems to me that the loudest conspiracy proponents have disappeared since Russia invaded Ukraine.

Maybe their services have been diverted elsewhere.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2022, 12:46 AM   #445
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
It seems to me that the loudest conspiracy proponents have disappeared since Russia invaded Ukraine.

^^ Something, I always suspected.
Old 11th April 2022, 12:52 AM   #446
Susheel
Master Poster

sorry...double post.

Last edited by Susheel; 11th April 2022 at 12:57 AM.
Susheel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2022, 03:24 AM   #447
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
The virus that caused the 1918 pandemic mutated to a less virulent strain.
Yes, and in fact I think the descendants of that virus (H1N1) are still with us to this day, and still kill some people every year. Also people who survive do build up some resistance over time. So it never really disappeared entirely. Just became less deadly than it had been, but still deadly to some.
Old 11th April 2022, 04:44 AM   #448
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Yes, and in fact I think the descendants of that virus (H1N1) are still with us to this day, and still kill some people every year. Also people who survive do build up some resistance over time. So it never really disappeared entirely. Just became less deadly than it had been, but still deadly to some.
True. The 1918-1919 pandemic hit the younger civilian population hardest, suggesting that those over 50 may have had a degree of immunity from an earlier and weaker variant of the virus. A complicating factor is that so many soldiers, most under 25, were so susceptible because of crowded conditions in camps, troop ships, and trenches.

It is odd how the ravages of that pandemic faded from memory in just a few years. I didn't learn about it in high school or college history classes, but in a literature class in which we read Katherine Anne Porter's Pale Horse, Pale Rider. Then my mother told me that all of her aunts and five of her cousins had died of the flu within a month of each other. Her mother survived, and Mom had never known them, only heard of them. I drove her to the cemetery where four were buried. That got my interest up and I researched. Later on, some excellent books came out on the subject.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2022, 05:32 AM   #449
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

That, or turned gay, or turned into a crocodile, or turned into a microchip- controlled zombie, or linked up to AI, etc. etc.
I was hoping to be turned into a Gulfstream V, with concomitant increase in my net worth, but the conspiracy theorist who warned me of that possibility turned out to be dyslexic.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2022, 07:50 AM   #450
Hans
Philosopher

One would hope that none of this being remotely true might give pause for thought. Someone did post something here about how the anti-vax movement in Australia was subsiding, so it may be happening.
I suspect as the population naturally ages and dies that 'fact' will be touted as proof that the vaccines were poisonous!
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2022, 07:52 AM   #451
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
True. The 1918-1919 pandemic hit the younger civilian population hardest, suggesting that those over 50 may have had a degree of immunity from an earlier and weaker variant of the virus. A complicating factor is that so many soldiers, most under 25, were so susceptible because of crowded conditions in camps, troop ships, and trenches.

It is odd how the ravages of that pandemic faded from memory in just a few years. I didn't learn about it in high school or college history classes, but in a literature class in which we read Katherine Anne Porter's Pale Horse, Pale Rider. Then my mother told me that all of her aunts and five of her cousins had died of the flu within a month of each other. Her mother survived, and Mom had never known them, only heard of them. I drove her to the cemetery where four were buried. That got my interest up and I researched. Later on, some excellent books came out on the subject.
Interesting I learned about the flu while studying the Great War and later it was made into a cautionary tale for digging up people (as an archaeologist).
Old 11th April 2022, 07:54 AM   #452
Hans
Philosopher

Yes, there was something new to shout about! Either to gain attention or be paid to do so.
Old 11th April 2022, 08:06 AM   #453
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
I was hoping to be turned into a Gulfstream V, with concomitant increase in my net worth, but the conspiracy theorist who warned me of that possibility turned out to be dyslexic.
So, 'I've done my own research' actually means 'Yes, I completely trust information from an anonymous Twitter account, because, like, Bill Gates, yeah?'

Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2022, 10:24 AM   #454
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
Carrot Flower Queen was really hoping I'd turn into an Aston Martin V12 Vantage in gun metal...

I'm such a disappointment.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2022, 10:51 AM   #455
MBDK
Critical Thinker

Seems this guy's only side-effect has been a noticeable lump in his wallet.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/man-all...on-card-sales/
MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2022, 11:40 AM   #456
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MBDK View Post
Seems this guy's only side-effect has been a noticeable lump in his wallet.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/man-all...on-card-sales/
What I really think is funny about this story is that people who signed on to the anti-vax conspiracy were paying their money to someone who took it 90 times. Bankable stupidity!

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2022, 12:05 AM   #457
Planigale
Philosopher

It appears so it would might be informative to know how the 1918 one 'disappeared' and see if it is similar?

That and the Ukraine invasion diverted the media.
Actually it didn't. Although mutated AH1N1 a direct descendant of the 1917 pandemic continues to circulate. What happened was the human survivors developed immunity.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2022, 06:52 AM   #458
welshdean
Michael McDonald 1967 - 2021

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
Actually it didn't. Although mutated AH1N1 a direct descendant of the 1917 pandemic continues to circulate. What happened was the human survivors developed immunity.
Not all of us, that little beauty nearly killed me in 2016, coma, ECMO, 6 weeks in hospital and a year of recovery.
I did get a ride in a helicopter though!
But I had already been induced into a coma and slept right through it.

So come on people, wear a ******* mask!
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2022, 08:21 AM   #459
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
Hmmm, perhaps we could use a clever code that would mystify and confuse the mods? I suggest we use Arabic letters substituted for Latin ones used in Danish words written backwards.

They'll never understand our astute code!
Old 14th April 2022, 11:03 AM   #460
carlitos
"más divertido"

Looks like the heroic German anti-vaxx people were up to no good. I'm shocked that these pro-Russian fascists had criminal intent!

Quote:
German investigators on Thursday said they had arrested four members of a far-right anti-lockdown group with pro-Russian leanings for planning violent attacks, including a plot to kidnap the country's health minister.

The suspects from the "Vereinte Patrioten" (United Patriots) group are accused of "preparing explosive attacks and other acts of violence" as well as the "kidnapping of well-known public figures", prosecutors in Koblenz said in a joint statement with the Rhineland-Palatinate police.

The main aim of the group was to "destroy power supply facilities in order to cause a prolonged nationwide blackout", the investigators said.

Investigators had identified five German suspects aged between 41 and 55 and on Wednesday carried out searches leading to four arrests and the seizure of around two dozen guns, including a Kalashnikov.

They also seized forged Covid-19 vaccination certificates, as well as several written documents about the group's plans to overthrow the state.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2022, 11:18 AM   #461
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Looks like the heroic German anti-vaxx people were up to no good. I'm shocked that these pro-Russian fascists had criminal intent!
You've got to wonder what kind of twisted thought processes lead one to conclude that causing a nationwide power blackout is an act of patriotism.

Old 14th April 2022, 11:38 AM   #462
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

You've got to wonder what kind of twisted thought processes lead one to conclude that causing a nationwide power blackout is an act of patriotism.
There are a number of great examples of such thinking in this very thread.
Old 17th April 2022, 09:05 PM   #463
Petra
Critical Thinker

Mine haven't I just find it emotionally draining arguing with so many people at once.

Just found this interesting graph ... which I'm sure the believers can explain perfectly well. It shows every item (represented by a clickable dot) published by the medical journal, Eurosurveillance, under the three categories, Rapid Communications, Research Papers and Surveillance Reports from 2015-2020.

x-axis: date
y-axis: period of review (in days) before publication

Right at the bottom under Research papers on 21-1-20 is that famous Corman Drosten paper ... but it's still science right, 1-day review is still science for that one paper even if the review period for every other paper is nothing remotely as short.

EDIT: Sorry this link is to the person who posted the graph
http://www.aukema.org/2020/12/meta-d...alysis-at.html

The graph is here:
https://public.tableau.com/app/profi...ocessDashboard

Last edited by Petra; 17th April 2022 at 09:42 PM.
Petra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2022, 09:56 PM   #464
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Petra View Post
Mine haven't I just find it emotionally draining arguing with so many people at once.

Just found this interesting graph ... which I'm sure the believers can explain perfectly well. It shows every item (represented by a clickable dot) published by the medical journal, Eurosurveillance, under the three categories, Rapid Communications, Research Papers and Surveillance Reports from 2015-2020.

Right at the bottom under Research papers on 21-1-20 is that famous Corman Drosten paper ... but it's still science right, 1-day review is still science for that one paper even if the review period for every other paper is nothing remotely as short.

The graph is here:
Um...people worked quickly because it was an emergency?

Old 17th April 2022, 11:20 PM   #465
threadworm
Graduate Poster

The graph is here:
"OK guys, we've got these papers here that convey important data to the medical community abiut the emerging virus, but the one proving that ostriches prefer to stand on their left leg when it rains came in first..."

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2022, 12:42 AM   #466
MBDK
Critical Thinker

The graph is here:
Other than the fact that, when compared to the vast majority of data presented in the graphs, a two day review IS, for all intents and purposes, just as short as a one day review, what else do you need explained to you?
MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2022, 01:55 AM   #467
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Just to provide a bit of background, Wouter Aukema is one of the authors of an anti-vaxx paper that had to be retracted because it misrepresented data.

https://www.science.org/content/arti...iming-covid-19

https://healthfeedback.org/claimrevi...caused-deaths/

As an aside, I note that the managing editor of Vaccines journal rejoices in the name Fanny Fang.
A clear case of vagina dentata, if ever I saw one.

Old 18th April 2022, 06:10 AM   #468
eerok
Quixoticist

The price of being wrong.

So what?
Old 18th April 2022, 07:10 AM   #469
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
So what?
One of the papers was peer-reviewed quickly. Someone told Petra that it's suspicious, and she believed them, for no other reason than they told her so.
Now she's trying the same thing with us.

Old 19th April 2022, 05:52 PM   #470
eerok
Quixoticist

Just to confirm what most of us already know, a lot of the anti-vaxx BS is disinfo from the enemy.

Russian troll farms aiming disinformation war at Canadian anti-vaxxers: Global Affairs expert (theprovince.com)
Quote:
Using troll farms that post on Facebook and other social media sites, the campaigns often target the minority of Canadians opposed to COVID-19 vaccines and vaccine mandates, and others deeply distrustful of government, said Philippe-André Rodriguez, deputy director of the department’s Centre for International Digital Policy.

The goal is to seed doubt about the official Canadian narrative around Moscow’s war against Ukraine, he said during a recent webinar organized by an Oxford University alumni group.
Old 19th April 2022, 06:51 PM   #471
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Just to confirm what most of us already know, a lot of the anti-vaxx BS is disinfo from the enemy.

Russian troll farms aiming disinformation war at Canadian anti-vaxxers: Global Affairs expert (theprovince.com)
I don't know how many people are involved, there's evidence that least one of our Canadian posting colleagues is a sitting duck!

bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2022, 01:19 AM   #472
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Leader of QAnon's Japan arm held for obstructing COVID vaccinations
Old 20th April 2022, 01:52 AM   #473
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I don't know how many people are involved, there's evidence that least one of our Canadian posting colleagues is a sitting duck!
You left out the 'h'.

Old 25th April 2022, 05:53 PM   #474
eerok
Quixoticist

Oh great, there's another Russian Convoy coming to disrupt Ottawa.

Interim police chief to 'Rolling Thunder' convoy: 'You will be held accountable' (ctvnews.ca)
Quote:
About 500 to 1,000 motorcycles and other vehicles are expected to take part in the event starting on Friday. But unlike the ‘Freedom Convoy’ protest earlier this year, participants will have to attend on foot rather than driving downtown, as protesters won’t be allowed to drive into the downtown core.
It's a shame that useful idiots can't be more useful to their own country.
Old 25th April 2022, 07:14 PM   #475
carlitos
"más divertido"

I’m Oakland, teenagers with eggs drove out the “freedom” convoy. Maybe take a little inspiration.

https://boingboing.net/2022/04/25/ho...video.html/amp
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2022, 07:42 PM   #476
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Oh great, there's another Russian Convoy coming to disrupt Ottawa.

Interim police chief to 'Rolling Thunder' convoy: 'You will be held accountable' (ctvnews.ca)

It's a shame that useful idiots can't be more useful to their own country.
It seems very odd, as there is no actual agenda, just a sort of general opposition to everything. I am always amused at the parallels some of these folks unwittingly follow: The Freedom convoy's idea of freedom is best described as that of Fidel Castro, and the Republican party's approach to truth is best described as that of Ayatollah Khomeini, the followers of EmptyG and her ilk, more like the Taliban than unlike. And now, here we come channeling Abbie Hoffman: Revolution for the hell of it!

Last edited by bruto; 25th April 2022 at 07:43 PM.
Old 25th April 2022, 09:46 PM   #477
MBDK
Critical Thinker

I’m Oakland, teenagers with eggs drove out the “freedom” convoy. Maybe take a little inspiration.

I'm quite fine with the attitude and contempt they were shown, but egging should not have been done. In most places it is illegal and, if damages are >$250.00, can even be a felony.
Old 26th April 2022, 07:23 AM   #478
sackett
Philosopher

I'm quite fine with the attitude and contempt they were shown, but egging should not have been done. In most places it is illegal and, if damages are >$250.00, can even be a felony.
I entirely agree. Someone once egged my 1967 Ford hardtop and I never did get the egg off.

No, I didn't try, I mean, a '67 Ford? In 1978?

Those kids deserve a stern lecture.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 08:49 AM   #479
welshdean
Michael McDonald 1967 - 2021

First amendment rights, let me introduce you to my first amendment rights.

Hmmm, will someone please set up a gofund me for an egg arsenal.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 09:47 AM   #480
carlitos
"más divertido"

Surprisingly to me, the police showed equal ambivalence towards ticketing “vandalism via egg” as they did “driving a semi truck through a residential area.”

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories