IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Coronavirus conspiracies , diseases , medical conspiracies

Reply
Old 4th March 2022, 11:26 PM   #161
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,434
Originally Posted by Bubba
Judicial Watch
https://adfontesmedia.com/judicial-w...d-reliability/

Bias: Hyper-Partisan Right (scores 23 on a scale of -42 to +42)
Reliability: Unreliable, Problematic (Score 24 on a scale of 0 to 64)

Ultra-conservative fake news right out of the starting gate
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2022, 11:48 PM   #162
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,387
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post


adfontesmedia




Seting your Hyperbole (hyperbole is all you have) aside....



FOIA

govt documents:


Quote:
China Failed to Provide Key COVID Info, Fauci Agency Records Show.
From same article:

Quote:
We received 90 pages of records from the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) that show the State Department and Dr. Anthony Fauci’s agency, the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), knew immediately in January 2020 that China was withholding COVID data, and this was hindering risk assessment and response by public health officials.

The records also show that, nearly two years before the coronavirus outbreak, the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) sent “experts” from the NIH-supported P4 lab at the University of Texas Medical Branch to train Wuhan Institute of Virology lab technicians in lab management and maintenance due to the Wuhan lab’s shortage of trained staff. The same April 2018 cable noted that an official from EcoHealth Alliance “plans to visit Wuhan to meet with Shi [Zhengli].”

We obtained the records through our Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit for records of communications, contracts and agreements with the Wuhan Institute of Virology (Judicial Watch, Inc. v. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (No. 1:21-cv-00696)). The lawsuit specifically sought records about NIH grants that benefitted the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

Last edited by Bubba; 5th March 2022 at 12:02 AM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2022, 01:05 AM   #163
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 23,499
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton said he believes the 90 pages of communication records between the NIH and the Wuhan lab show that Dr. Anthony Fauci’s agency, NIAID, has been “hiding information on China’s failure to provide essential data on COVID-19.”

The U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) also sent “experts” from the NIH-supported P4 lab at the University of Texas Medical Branch to train Wuhan Institute of Virology technicians in “lab management and maintenance” – nearly two years before the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic – the records obtained by Judicial Watch through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit show.
Authored by Isabel van Brugen via The Epoch Times

Back to your only source.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2022, 01:40 AM   #164
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 5,956
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

Do you have any factual reason to doubt this source, especially as you are always telling us not to dismiss an article just because of the source?

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
From same article:
Quote:
The records also show that, nearly two years before the coronavirus outbreak, the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) sent “experts” from the NIH-supported P4 lab at the University of Texas Medical Branch to train Wuhan Institute of Virology lab technicians in lab management and maintenance due to the Wuhan lab’s shortage of trained staff.
What, in your own words, do you believe to be the significance of this information?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis

'Of course it can be OK to mistreat people.'- shuttlt
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2022, 01:43 AM   #165
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 5,956
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Quote:
China was withholding COVID data, and this was hindering risk assessment and response by public health officials.
As you appear to be opposed to vaccines, masks and all other public health measures related to coronavirus, what response by public health officials would you endorse? Again, in your own words, please.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis

'Of course it can be OK to mistreat people.'- shuttlt
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2022, 01:49 AM   #166
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,434
The Lab Leak Conspracy Theory is probably toast!

Originally Posted by Bubba
Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton said he believes the 90 pages of communication records between the NIH and the Wuhan lab show that Dr. Anthony Fauci’s agency, NIAID, has been “hiding information on China’s failure to provide essential data on COVID-19.”
The U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) also sent “experts” from the NIH-supported P4 lab at the University of Texas Medical Branch to train Wuhan Institute of Virology technicians in “lab management and maintenance” – nearly two years before the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic – the records obtained by Judicial Watch through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit show.

First things first - my source

NPR (national Public Radio)
Bias: Middle (scores -0.22 on a scale of -42 to +42)
Reliability: Reliable, Fact Reporting (scores 52 on a scale of 0-64)

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...c-origin-point
"Over the weekend, an international team of scientists published two extensive papers online, offering the strongest evidence to date that the COVID-19 pandemic originated in animals at a market in Wuhan, China. Specifically, they conclude that the coronavirus most likely jumped from a caged wild animal into people at the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market, where a huge COVID-19 outbreak began in December 2019.

Scientists who weren't involved in the research papers are calling the new data "very convincing" and a "blow" to the lab-leak theory — that the virus somehow escaped from the Wuhan Institute of Virology, which does research on coronaviruses. In reaction to the papers, they say the newly published data is tipping the scales toward wildlife sold at the market."
The papers are preliminary. They still need to be reviewed by outside scientists. But if the analyses turn out to be accurate, the new data paints an incredibly detailed picture of the early days of the pandemic. Photographic and genetic data pinpoint a specific stall at the market where the coronavirus likely was transmitted from an animal into people. And a new genetic analysis estimates the time, within weeks, when not just one but two spillovers occurred. It predicts the coronavirus jumped into people once in late November or early December and then again few weeks later.

So now, for the first time, the timing of the earliest known coronavirus infections coincides almost exactly with the timing of the outbreak at the seafood market, which began in early December and likely involved hundreds of people working or shopping at the market. That outbreak also spilled over into the surrounding community, as one of the new studies shows.
Someone with more expertise in virology may want to correct me if I am wrong, but AIUI, viral geneticists are able to look at the a series of subsequential genome sequences and pinpoint with some accuracy the starting point of a viral outbreak, and if my understanding of what they are saying is correct, they have found the timing of the viral outbreak coincides with the dates the photos were taken in the Wuhan live animal market (as determined by EXIF date and GPS Data) which would mean the outbreak predates any possible lab leak.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2022, 11:30 AM   #167
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 19,791
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Authored by Isabel van Brugen via The Epoch Times

Back to your only source.
Surely a guy who proved that the Elites have toyed with their staggering powers by causing places with like names to line up on maps must be right about everything.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2022, 05:09 PM   #168
MBDK
Critical Thinker
 
MBDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 327
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton said he believes the 90 pages of communication records between the NIH and the Wuhan lab show that Dr. Anthony Fauci’s agency, NIAID, has been “hiding information on China’s failure to provide essential data on COVID-19.”

https://www.nationandstate.com/2022/...ocuments-show/
First of all, the second part of your post was not included in the quote, as the proposed objectives by the author are pure conjecture, thereby irrelevant. Your source makes its other claims based on FOIA releases of certain emails, and provide this truth:

Quote:
Embassy officials in the email said they were concerned that a “lack of epidemiological data” hindered better risk assessment and response by public health officials.
Yet, from this, and other information that supports that quote, the author concludes:

Quote:
“The slow-rolling and stonewalling by Fauci’s agency on China, gain of function, and its COVID response generally is pure obstruction,” Fitton said.
Now, as gain-of-function was the gist of the conjectured 2nd part of your quote, it remains irrelevant. However, to claim Fauci's COVID response to be obstruction is absolutely proven false per the article's own statement. When you show concern "that a 'lack of epidemiological data' hindered better risk assessment and response by public health officials", you ARE doing your job to gather the necessary information to provide the best response to the situation. Your source obviously can blatantly say up is down without any of their muppet followers realizing, or at least questioning, their absurd conclusions.
MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2022, 04:04 AM   #169
Petra
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 263
Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
You mean, aside from the fact they couldn't figure out why the patients had pneumonia in the first place. "Unknown origin" and all that.



The information you seek is in the hundreds of thousand of scientific papers that you refuse to accept because you instead believe one paper produced by a pair of conspiracy theorists.
I just want the paper that shows isolation from one of the 44 patients. All we seem to have is the "Side-Notes" page on CDC China. Why would this information be in a Side Notes page in the first place but surely if it's going to be placed there there should be a link to the paper. What it says in this Side Notes page is that the genome sequence was created from bronchoalveolar lavage samples from one of the 44 patients. This is unscientific in the extreme.

I want to show in a STEP BY STEP manner that the science is wrong so we have to go from one step to the next, OK? First, I have shown clearly that the suspicion of a "novel" virus is unscientific because we have been given no evidence to speak of a "cluster" of pneumonia patients or any reason to specify "of unknown origin".

The next step is isolating the virus from one of those 44 patients. Where is the process FROM ONE OF THESE PATIENTS? Why is what we're told on a Side Notes page on the China CDC website complete and utter garbage?
Petra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2022, 04:52 AM   #170
EaglePuncher
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 691
Originally Posted by Petra View Post
I just want the paper that shows isolation from one of the 44 patients. All we seem to have is the "Side-Notes" page on CDC China. Why would this information be in a Side Notes page in the first place but surely if it's going to be placed there there should be a link to the paper. What it says in this Side Notes page is that the genome sequence was created from bronchoalveolar lavage samples from one of the 44 patients. This is unscientific in the extreme.

I want to show in a STEP BY STEP manner that the science is wrong so we have to go from one step to the next, OK? First, I have shown clearly that the suspicion of a "novel" virus is unscientific because we have been given no evidence to speak of a "cluster" of pneumonia patients or any reason to specify "of unknown origin".

The next step is isolating the virus from one of those 44 patients. Where is the process FROM ONE OF THESE PATIENTS? Why is what we're told on a Side Notes page on the China CDC website complete and utter garbage?
Page 2 on the CT bible: Thou shalt make unreasonable demands and should they be met for some reason thou shalt handwave until dawn!
EaglePuncher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2022, 05:55 AM   #171
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 6,999
Originally Posted by Petra View Post
I just want the paper that shows isolation from one of the 44 patients. All we seem to have is the "Side-Notes" page on CDC China.
Do you have a link for this "side notes page on CDC China?" I've searched this thread and the previous one for the text "side notes" and the post I'm quoting is the very first mention of it.

Quote:
...

First, I have shown clearly that the suspicion of a "novel" virus is unscientific because we have been given no evidence to speak of a "cluster" of pneumonia patients or any reason to specify "of unknown origin".
No, you have the rantings of a couple of well-educated people who have fallen for a conspiracy theory. I suspect the reason the Bailey/Bevan-Smith paper hasn't seen much traction among serious scientists is they take a look at the abstract, where they rant about

Originally Posted by Bailey/Bevan-Smith
a war on humanity by organisations such as Anser, Fors Marsh, and Palantir that conduct the scam through Big Pharma, with its backers and enablers, including the World Economic Forum, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the WHO, technology conglomerates, the mainstream media, complicit governments, and COVID “pirates” such as UNC Chapel Hill and Imperial College London ... governments continue to use this imaginary disease to terrorise and imprison their citizens ...
(bolding mine) and immediately write them off as crackpots.

If I get sufficiently motivated, I'll send emails to a sampling of scientists in the appropriate fields and ask them for their critiques of the tail end of part 1 and all of part 2.
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2022, 06:57 AM   #172
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 35,950
Originally Posted by Petra View Post
I just want the paper that shows isolation from one of the 44 patients.

You’re forgetting your own argument. You claim that investigating the cause was “unscientific” because there wasn’t sufficient evidence. Isolating the virus would come after investigation, not before.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2022, 07:12 AM   #173
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,247
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
You’re forgetting your own argument. You claim that investigating the cause was “unscientific” because there wasn’t sufficient evidence. Isolating the virus would come after investigation, not before.
If you are always truthful you never have to remember what you have previously said.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2022, 08:29 AM   #174
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 21,255
Originally Posted by Petra View Post
First, I have shown clearly that the suspicion of a "novel" virus is unscientific . . .
Nope.
__________________
" Glory to our Allies . . . Glory to Ukraine!"
President Volodymyr Zelenskyy
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2022, 08:42 AM   #175
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 19,791
Calling COVID-19 "imaginary" is about as ******* stupid as it gets. It's like standing on the beach and looking out on the ocean and saying, "See! Totally flat!".
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2022, 09:51 AM   #176
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 5,956
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
You’re forgetting your own argument. You claim that investigating the cause was “unscientific” because there wasn’t sufficient evidence. Isolating the virus would come after investigation, not before.
Yes, but you're forgetting who you're addressing. In the topsy-turvy world of PetraScience, the conclusion comes first, before the investigation, and the evidence is a poor third.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis

'Of course it can be OK to mistreat people.'- shuttlt
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2022, 10:11 AM   #177
Paul2
Philosopher
 
Paul2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,501
Originally Posted by Petra View Post
I just want the paper that shows isolation from one of the 44 patients. All we seem to have is the "Side-Notes" page on CDC China. Why would this information be in a Side Notes page in the first place but surely if it's going to be placed there there should be a link to the paper. What it says in this Side Notes page is that the genome sequence was created from bronchoalveolar lavage samples from one of the 44 patients. This is unscientific in the extreme.

I want to show in a STEP BY STEP manner that the science is wrong so we have to go from one step to the next, OK? First, I have shown clearly that the suspicion of a "novel" virus is unscientific because we have been given no evidence to speak of a "cluster" of pneumonia patients or any reason to specify "of unknown origin".

The next step is isolating the virus from one of those 44 patients. Where is the process FROM ONE OF THESE PATIENTS? Why is what we're told on a Side Notes page on the China CDC website complete and utter garbage?
There is a vast quantity of evidence that shows the novel coronavirus to be real that has nothing to do with the 44 patients. You're illogically focused on those 44 to the exclusion of vast quantities of excellent evidence.
__________________
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2022, 10:27 AM   #178
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 21,255
Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
There is a vast quantity of evidence that shows the novel coronavirus to be real that has nothing to do with the 44 patients. You're illogically focused on those 44 to the exclusion of vast quantities of excellent evidence.
By ignoring the mountains of evidence that exist in objective reality, one can then obsess in the shadowy valley of CT.
__________________
" Glory to our Allies . . . Glory to Ukraine!"
President Volodymyr Zelenskyy
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2022, 10:30 AM   #179
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 13,372
Just for clarity, to see if I quite understand: at an early stage, when it began to be noticed that there was an unusual cluster of pneumonia cases which might indicate something new was going on and this deserved investigation, the number of patients identified happened to be 44. There were of course many more soon identified and by now there have been ten million times that number of infections. So, just in case I misunderstood, is it Petra's view that the pandemic is not real unless the Covid-19 virus was isolated from one of those arbitrary 44 cases?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2022, 10:56 AM   #180
Purple Pangolin
Scholar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kitsap Peninsula
Posts: 66
Originally Posted by Petra View Post
First, I have shown clearly that the suspicion of a "novel" virus is unscientific because we have been given no evidence to speak of a "cluster" of pneumonia patients or any reason to specify "of unknown origin".
The terms you put in scare quotes have all been explained to you, yet you still use scare quotes. Why is that?
Purple Pangolin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2022, 11:12 AM   #181
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 35,950
Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
There is a vast quantity of evidence that shows the novel coronavirus to be real that has nothing to do with the 44 patients. You're illogically focused on those 44 to the exclusion of vast quantities of excellent evidence.

Well, she has to exclude it somehow. It doesn’t fit her conclusions.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2022, 11:49 AM   #182
Paul2
Philosopher
 
Paul2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,501
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Just for clarity, to see if I quite understand: at an early stage, when it began to be noticed that there was an unusual cluster of pneumonia cases which might indicate something new was going on and this deserved investigation, the number of patients identified happened to be 44. There were of course many more soon identified and by now there have been ten million times that number of infections. So, just in case I misunderstood, is it Petra's view that the pandemic is not real unless the Covid-19 virus was isolated from one of those arbitrary 44 cases?
Apparently, against all logic and evidence.
__________________
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2022, 11:54 AM   #183
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!
 
wollery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 11,160
Yeah, it's like saying that the Wright brothers only managed a few hundred feet, so transatlantic air travel can't possibly be real.
__________________
"You're a sick SOB. You know that, Wollery?" - Roadtoad

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2022, 12:02 PM   #184
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,434
Covid pandemic sparks steep rise in number of people in UK with long-term illness

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
There is a vast quantity of evidence that shows the novel coronavirus to be real that has nothing to do with the 44 patients. You're illogically focused on those 44 to the exclusion of vast quantities of excellent evidence.
As I have previously posted here, if there is no such thing as Covid-19 as Petra and Bubba claim, then why the sudden rise in the huge number of excess deaths recorded during the pandemic? It has been the fly in the ointment for conspiracy theorists - their total inability to come up with an explanation for the huge rise number of excess deaths recorded during the pandemic, the levels of which coincide with the peak levels of Covid cases and hospitalizations. If these excess deaths are not being cause by Covid-19, then what is causing them?

Their usual response has been to ignore it, or handwave it away and pretend the facts and evidence do not exist. The only response I have had is that the excess deaths evidence is somehow faked... (the standard go to for conspiracy theorists when back into a corner by evidence they cannot refute) but since these data are mirrored in the figures from hundreds of different countries all over the world, that would mean all those countries are conspiring together to fake them... even countries that are political rivals and enemies.

Well now, this fly in the ointment maybe about to be joined by another fly.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...g-term-illness

Covid pandemic sparks steep rise in number of people in UK with long-term illness

"More than a third of working-age people in the UK now suffer from a long-term illness, with new figures showing a dramatic rise since the pandemic began. Post-Covid conditions, including long Covid, breathing difficulties and mental-health problems, are among the causes, according to disability charities and health campaigners.

An Observer analysis of the Office for National Statistics’ (ONS) labour market status of disabled people figures shows that nearly 14.2 million people in the UK aged 16 to 64 said they had a health condition lasting for at least 12 months in 2021 – a rise of 1.2 million during the two years of the pandemic."


If there is no such thing as Covid-19, as Petra and Bubba claim, then why the sudden rise in long term illnesses? What is causing this?
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!

Last edited by smartcooky; 6th March 2022 at 12:20 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2022, 12:03 PM   #185
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 13,372
Originally Posted by wollery View Post
Yeah, it's like saying that the Wright brothers only managed a few hundred feet, so transatlantic air travel can't possibly be real.
Well, obviously. I refuse to accept that aircraft can fly over water until you show me the scientific paper showing how many feet of the Wright brothers initial flight were over water.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2022, 02:42 PM   #186
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 16,058
Pandemic/vax deniers are getting weeded out of the gene pool!

COVID Infects Penis, Testicles and Prostate – Causes Pain, Erectile Dysfunction, Reduced Sperm Count
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2022, 07:33 PM   #187
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,387
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
As I have previously posted here, if there is no such thing as Covid-19 as Petra and Bubba claim,

I said that?

Where?

I might've said something like 'bogus pandemic' but not that there is no such thing as Covid 19.

No need to apologize if that was just a wrong assumption. I forgive you.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2022, 11:03 PM   #188
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 35,950
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Just for clarity, to see if I quite understand: at an early stage, when it began to be noticed that there was an unusual cluster of pneumonia cases which might indicate something new was going on and this deserved investigation, the number of patients identified happened to be 44. There were of course many more soon identified and by now there have been ten million times that number of infections. So, just in case I misunderstood, is it Petra's view that the pandemic is not real unless the Covid-19 virus was isolated from one of those arbitrary 44 cases?

No, I think Petra’s view is that because the cause of the 44 cases hadn’t been identified it was “unscientific” to investigate the cause of the 44 cases.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2022, 01:45 AM   #189
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 5,956
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
I said that?

Where?

I might've said something like 'bogus pandemic' but not that there is no such thing as Covid 19.

No need to apologize if that was just a wrong assumption. I forgive you.
OK, then, so if Covid-19 is real, how is the pandemic bogus?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis

'Of course it can be OK to mistreat people.'- shuttlt
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2022, 04:42 AM   #190
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,434
Originally Posted by Bubba
I said that?

Where?

I might've said something like 'bogus pandemic' but not that there is no such thing as Covid 19.

Only a conspiracy theorist could deny ever saying something, and then admit to saying it in the very next line - a line which also contradicts itself
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2022, 07:20 AM   #191
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 5,956
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

Only a conspiracy theorist could deny ever saying something, and then admit to saying it in the very next line - a line which also contradicts itself
Or a bridge-dweller. That's also possible.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis

'Of course it can be OK to mistreat people.'- shuttlt
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2022, 09:06 AM   #192
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing
 
Chris_Halkides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 10,746
most recent excess death totals

The Economist magazine has been tracking excess deaths since the start of the pandemic. As of March 7th, their estimate is 19.9 million worldwide. The 95% confidence limits are 14.1 and 23.6 million. It is not obvious how this number could be faked or manipulated in some way.
__________________
It is possible both to be right about an issue and to take oneself a little too seriously, but I would rather be reminded of that by a friend than a foe. (a tip of the hat to Foolmewunz)

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 7th March 2022 at 09:09 AM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2022, 09:18 AM   #193
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 19,791
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

Only a conspiracy theorist could deny ever saying something, and then admit to saying it in the very next line - a line which also contradicts itself
Ah, but he didn't use those exact words. He didn't say "it's not real". He said, "it's bogus". Now he gets to be all pedantic and imagine himself triumphant.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2022, 09:45 AM   #194
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 21,255
The plandemic CT is only slightly less stupid than the no COVID at all CT . . . nah, it's just as stupid.
__________________
" Glory to our Allies . . . Glory to Ukraine!"
President Volodymyr Zelenskyy
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2022, 10:58 AM   #195
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 16,058
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
OK, then, so if Covid-19 is real, how is the pandemic bogus?
It's certainly possible to think that covid-19 exists, but that it didn't rise to the level of pandemic.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2022, 01:49 AM   #196
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 5,956
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
It's certainly possible to think that covid-19 exists, but that it didn't rise to the level of pandemic.
Well, it would require one to believe that a highly-contagious virus exists, but that it isn't highly-contagious, but, OK, logic is rarely a characteristic of conspiracy theories, so maybe.
Bubba? Is that what you think?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis

'Of course it can be OK to mistreat people.'- shuttlt
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2022, 02:30 AM   #197
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,387
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Well, it would require one to believe that a highly-contagious virus exists, but that it isn't highly-contagious, but, OK, logic is rarely a characteristic of conspiracy theori

es, so maybe.
Bubba? Is that what you think?



Nah. Klaus Schwab



The COVID-19 pandemic was part and parcel of that plan, as detailed in Klaus Schwab’s book, “COVID-19: The Great Reset,”1 but to really fulfill the technocrats’ ambitions, a war of some kind is likely needed. As reported by Dr. Vernon Coleman with The Exposé



https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...rid=1428161691
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2022, 02:40 AM   #198
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,387
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Well, it would require one to believe that a highly-contagious virus exists, but that it isn't highly-contagious, but, OK, logic is rarely a characteristic of conspiracy theories, so maybe.
Bubba? Is that what you think?


Of course it exists, despite axe grinding fundie msm narrative hive cult idiots hoping "the other" thinks otherwise
(never you of course )

New chance for cult idiots, in case you know any::

Quote:
Is Klaus Schwab the Most Dangerous Man in the World?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G3nWyoQ5CQ

Last edited by Bubba; 8th March 2022 at 02:48 AM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2022, 02:54 AM   #199
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 42,807
Covid vaccines not linked to deaths, major US study finds

A major study of vaccine side-effects in the US found no link between two Covid jabs and the number of deaths recorded after vaccination.

The Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said 92% of reported side-effects after the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were mild.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-60653946
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2022, 02:59 AM   #200
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,387
What you think of Klaus Scwab's guy Dr, Yuval Noah Harari, Transhumanist and top advisor to Klaus Schwab and World Economic Forum?


3:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G3nWyoQ5CQ
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:21 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.