IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th May 2022, 10:47 AM   #1
ahhell
Illuminator

Your favored immigration policy

I'm not especially interested in debate, I'm just curious what various members would do regarding immigration to their country if they could. Or some platonic ideal of a country that exists in the Marvel universe only.

The two extremes that almost nobody actually supports are closed borders, nobody gets in, open borders and we don't even ask you your name when you get here.

I figure I might start a poll after a few answers.

As for me, I don't really know. Not either extreme. Probably more open than now but with better record keeping.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2022, 11:08 AM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

If you are at all interested in a Global Economy, Work Migration needs to be exactly as permissible as the flow of goods and money.
Otherwise, you create unsustainable inequalities.

So if you let countries regulate their own flow of money and goods, it's okay to regulate the immigration you get from them.

but if you go the WTO route and insist on "free trade", you better have also free migration, or you are just a hypocrite.

- Emo Philips

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 20th May 2022 at 11:10 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2022, 12:18 PM   #3
BobTheCoward
Suspended

Open borders.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2022, 12:20 PM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
If you are at all interested in a Global Economy, Work Migration needs to be exactly as permissible as the flow of goods and money.

So if you let countries regulate their own flow of money and goods, it's okay to regulate the immigration you get from them.

but if you go the WTO route and insist on "free trade", you better have also free migration, or you are just a hypocrite.
Only if you're objectifying your labor force, instead of recognizing them as human beings with feelings and opinions and cultural values of their own.
Old 20th May 2022, 12:39 PM   #5
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Only if you're objectifying your labor force, instead of recognizing them as human beings with feelings and opinions and cultural values of their own.
That has nothing to do with free movement of labor.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2022, 12:55 PM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That has nothing to do with free movement of labor.
Sure it does, because unlike other commodities, labor is people.
Old 20th May 2022, 01:10 PM   #7
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Open borders.
The one and only time I will agree with Bob
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2022, 01:19 PM   #8
Venom
Philosopher

Refugees get priority over everyone else.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2022, 02:43 PM   #9
Galaxie
Graduate Poster

**** it. Open the borders and give 'em a Social Security number.
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2022, 02:56 PM   #10
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

This is pretty much how I feel about it, at least economically. Some regulation with a fluid rather than open border.

The labor force would have more choice as human beings than a closed border. They could make a decision on where to work based on feelings, opinions and cultural values.
Old 20th May 2022, 09:40 PM   #11
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Sure it does, because unlike other commodities, labor is people.
I grant you that movement of labor is less flexible than goods or money.
But that only means that you have to restrict the flow of goods and money and facilitate the flow of labor to make sure that we don't build inequality into our system of trade.
But the exact opposite is the case.

- Emo Philips

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics