IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th May 2022, 12:11 PM   #1
Axxman300
Philosopher

Toddler Killed During Exorcism

I'm just posting this for the, "It's just harmless fun" people...

https://abc7news.com/child-exorcism-...source=twitter

Quote:
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A 3-year-old girl whose death last fall has been ruled a homicide was the subject of an alleged exorcism last year at a Northern California church, a newspaper reported Tuesday.

The child, Arely Naomi Proctor, died last September after family members performed a ceremony to "liberate her of her evil spirits," church officials told the San Jose Mercury News. The Santa Clara County medical examiner's office ruled the death a homicide caused by asphyxiation.

The girl's mother, Claudia Hernandez, was charged with assault on a child resulting in death. The Associated Press could not immediately determine whether Hernandez has an attorney.
This is tragic. Instead of taking the child to a doctor, she took her to a basement Pentecostal Church. I'm sorry, I don't think "people are entitled to their own beliefs" any more.
Old 12th May 2022, 12:28 PM   #2
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post

This is tragic. Instead of taking the child to a doctor, she took her to a basement Pentecostal Church. I'm sorry, I don't think "people are entitled to their own beliefs" any more.
I don't know if there are any "it's just harmless fun" people, but other than that I agree.

There are certainly "freedom of religion" people. I think that ends when another life is involved. I'm quite adamant about preserving it in a lot of cases, but that's when you are dealing with your own life and your own health. When it's someone else, freedom of religion just doesn't apply. I'll let a parent teach anything they want to teach, but I think it's perfectly ok to insist that they use available medicine even if they think their kid will be exposed to evil spirits.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 12:31 PM   #3
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

The occasional far-out in left field whack jobs would probably still be crazy and do crazy **** under some other flag though, no? The garden variety street corner congregation don't play dis ****.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 12:31 PM   #4
Chanakya

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post

Tragic indeed.

Sure, by all means punish the mother, who was directly responsible for this; but no doubt some priestly voodoo-types would have assisted/enabled her as well, not in general terms but specifically in this case I mean; and if so those also should be prosecuted, and awarded the stiffest punishment that might apply for abetment.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 01:21 PM   #5
Warp12
King of Kings

Obviously this was a stubborn demon. Those are the types you just gotta choke out of people...and hope for the best
Old 12th May 2022, 03:27 PM   #6
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

For those who didn't read the story: she was determined to be possessed because the toddler would "wake up at night and scream or cry periodically".

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 03:38 PM   #7
junkshop
Muse

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
For those who didn't read the story: she was determined to be possessed because the toddler would "wake up at night and scream or cry periodically".
Oh, for ****'s sake. Did we reach the limit of human development at some point? Are we going backwards now?
Old 12th May 2022, 04:44 PM   #8
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
Oh, for ****'s sake. Did we reach the limit of human development at some point? Are we going backwards now?
If the girl wasn't 3 years old, I would wonder if it's post-partum psychosis.* However, with a three year old, it has to be some other sort of nut case.

*I don't know if that's really a thing. I usually hear about post partum depression. However, I know that my wife was pretty much a lunatic for a couple of months after our son was born, much of which I chalked up to sleep deprivation.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 05:41 PM   #9
Axxman300
Philosopher

Sounds like the three year-old may have been autistic, or had some kind of developmental disorder. Mom doesn't sound educated past 8th grade, and her family are certainly backwards.
Old 12th May 2022, 08:23 PM   #10
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
By this measurement, all toddlers are possessed. This is best prevented by mandatory abortion.
Old 14th May 2022, 02:45 AM   #11
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
If the girl wasn't 3 years old, I would wonder if it's post-partum psychosis.* However, with a three year old, it has to be some other sort of nut case.

*I don't know if that's really a thing. I usually hear about post partum depression. However, I know that my wife was pretty much a lunatic for a couple of months after our son was born, much of which I chalked up to sleep deprivation.
Yup, post-partum psychosis is A Thing.

However, I would be very surprised if it was still present and had not been treated 3 years after birth.

Oh, I am forgetting that this is USA we are talking about...And some religious eejitry...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2022, 04:30 PM   #12
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Obviously, the child was possessed and Gawd needed her dead, so her immortal soul could go straight to hell. They'll probably use that defense at trial and some posters here will agree.
Old 15th May 2022, 01:48 AM   #13
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Obviously, the child was possessed and Gawd needed her dead, so her immortal soul could go straight to hell. They'll probably use that defense at trial and some posters here will agree.
Isn't it also claimed that the suffering and needless death of this child was necessary for the spiritual growth of that soul, and this is all part of the great benign cosmic bureaucratic process to balance the karmic books?
Disgusting idea, but one that has been argued for on this forum.

'Of course it can be OK to mistreat people.'- shuttlt
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2022, 07:11 AM   #14
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
There are certainly "freedom of religion" people. I think that ends when another life is involved. I'm quite adamant about preserving it in a lot of cases, but that's when you are dealing with your own life and your own health. When it's someone else, freedom of religion just doesn't apply. I'll let a parent teach anything they want to teach, but I think it's perfectly ok to insist that they use available medicine even if they think their kid will be exposed to evil spirits.
I wonder how many people who are "pro-life" (i.e. anti-abortion) for religious reasons also believe that parents should have the freedom to choose Christian Science prayer or exorcism to treat a kid with cancer instead of chemo or whatever the doctors recommend?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal