IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "2000 Mules" , Dinesh D'Souza , documentaries , election conspiracies , True The Vote

Old 10th May 2022, 02:26 AM   #41
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Or is this all the "evidence " that Mike Pillow promised?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 02:59 AM   #42
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

"Mules" or whatever. Doesn't the US election system have various safe-guards in place to prevent or remedy tricks like this?

If yes, then why was nothing (nothing significant) found during the numerous audits?

If no, it is an unfalsifiable claim. AND the US election system is in urgent need of a serious revision.

Hans
Old 10th May 2022, 05:26 AM   #43
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I gave it 1/10 on IMDB, which means I couldn't bear to watch very much of it before I began to question how I was spending my life. It's pure crapola, and not even darkly entertaining ... much like a Mike Lindell event.
At least at a Magic Pillow the Gathering event, you have a chance of that dude going a violent rampage.
Old 10th May 2022, 05:48 AM   #44
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Shouldn't this be in the Conspiracy Theories section?
It is.
Old 10th May 2022, 07:02 AM   #45
eerok
Quixoticist

I went back and watched the rest of this abomination, and I was struck by a few observations.
  • Why couldn't these alleged mules be stuffing ballots for Trump? The cell phone data certainly isn't specific about this.
  • We've all heard of the case where some dufus gets nailed for casting an extra vote for his mother. How do tens or hundreds of thousands of ballots get stuffed in drop boxes illegally without being noticed?
  • If the video evidence they have is actually what they claim, why don't they hand it over to the authorities? (My understanding is that they have, and it's been debunked.)
  • They purport to have "whistleblowers" who confess to stuffing ballot boxes for money. Again, why aren't these cases pursued, since this is a serious felony?

There are a lot of other obvious problems as well, and the answer to most of these questions is that 2000 Mules is nothing more than a propaganda narrative. It's a whole lot of speculation and innuendo, and not much else. Certainly it will reinforce the beliefs of those who already believe The Big Lie, but this is the golden age of BS and "alternative facts."

Despite the big claims, True the Vote has yet to provide evidence sufficient for a charge to be laid. I guess it's all a conspiracy, and everyone is in on it.
Old 10th May 2022, 08:54 AM   #46
Donal
Illuminator

Yes, 81 million + people conspired to remove Donal Trump from office. It's an odious and duplicitous plot known as "democracy".
Old 10th May 2022, 09:01 AM   #47
BobTheCoward
Suspended

I went back and watched the rest of this abomination, and I was struck by a few observations.
  • Why couldn't these alleged mules be stuffing ballots for Trump? The cell phone data certainly isn't specific about this.
  • We've all heard of the case where some dufus gets nailed for casting an extra vote for his mother. How do tens or hundreds of thousands of ballots get stuffed in drop boxes illegally without being noticed?
  • If the video evidence they have is actually what they claim, why don't they hand it over to the authorities? (My understanding is that they have, and it's been debunked.)
  • They purport to have "whistleblowers" who confess to stuffing ballot boxes for money. Again, why aren't these cases pursued, since this is a serious felony?

There are a lot of other obvious problems as well, and the answer to most of these questions is that 2000 Mules is nothing more than a propaganda narrative. It's a whole lot of speculation and innuendo, and not much else. Certainly it will reinforce the beliefs of those who already believe The Big Lie, but this is the golden age of BS and "alternative facts."

Despite the big claims, True the Vote has yet to provide evidence sufficient for a charge to be laid. I guess it's all a conspiracy, and everyone is in on it.
Do they show someone admitting to ballot stuffing?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 09:23 AM   #48
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Do they show someone admitting to ballot stuffing?
The identities of the "whistleblowers" are hidden, so not really.
Old 10th May 2022, 09:26 AM   #49
BobTheCoward
Suspended

The identities of the "whistleblowers" are hidden, so not really.
Even the hidden ones....what are they specifically saying they did?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 09:51 AM   #50
eerok
Quixoticist

Even the hidden ones....what are they specifically saying they did?
That they were asked to drop off ballots at boxes where no cameras were present. that all elections are fixed, and that the masterminds know who will win before the election takes place.

Last edited by eerok; 10th May 2022 at 09:53 AM.
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 12:12 PM   #51
Donal
Illuminator

Newsmax canceled an interview with D'Souza and he's flipped out about it.
Old 10th May 2022, 12:25 PM   #52
BobTheCoward
Suspended

That they were asked to drop off ballots at boxes where no cameras were present. that all elections are fixed, and that the masterminds know who will win before the election takes place.
Is there first thing even illegal?
Old 10th May 2022, 12:26 PM   #53
SuburbanTurkey

Shouldn't this be in the conspiracy theories subsection?
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 12:49 PM   #54
plague311
Great minds think...

Is there first thing even illegal?
Is dropping off ballots in a location where there are no cameras illegal? I can't think of anything illegal about it other than the word "ballots". An individual can drop their ballot off at a drop box whenever or wherever there is a box, camera or not. Several states have limits to dropping off other peoples' ballots, however. So it would depend on what your definition of "illegal".

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 12:51 PM   #55
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Shouldn't this be in the conspiracy theories subsection?
Not really. The show has been released, it has the claims that are mentioned, and the claims are directly associated with the 2020 election in the United States. I could see how it could be moved to the CT section, but I don't see any reason why it can't be here either.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 01:28 PM   #56
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Is dropping off ballots in a location where there are no cameras illegal? I can't think of anything illegal about it other than the word "ballots". An individual can drop their ballot off at a drop box whenever or wherever there is a box, camera or not. Several states have limits to dropping off other peoples' ballots, however. So it would depend on what your definition of "illegal".
I should've mentioned that the alleged activity was claimed to involve hundreds of ballots deposited by a single person. Still, their interview with this person was conspicuously short on specifics, and the ballots themselves were clearly not fake, since there are safeguards against that.

ETA:
Also they didn't explain why, if someone could be paid to illegally deposit ballots, someone couldn't be paid to lie about doing so.

Last edited by eerok; 10th May 2022 at 01:34 PM.
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 02:01 PM   #57
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Newsmax canceled an interview with D'Souza and he's flipped out about it.
Odd. I mean, after all, the film did premiere at Mar-a-Lago last week and trump loved it!

Quote:
Wednesday night, a “star-studded” premiere screening of the movie was held at Trump’s Palm Beach home Mar-a-Lago, and a great number of renowned conspiracy theorists were in attendance and posted photos of themselves on social media. Trump appeared to speak before the screening of the movie, which was attended by the likes of Matt Gaetz, Michael Flynn, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Jenna Ellis, Bernard Kerik, Rudy Giuliani, Lara Logan, Kyle Rittenhouse, Andrew Giuliani, Dan Bongino, Dave Rubin, and of course, D’Souza himself.

D’Souza was the toast of Trumpworld last week after he premiered the movie at Mar-a-Lago, insisting there were hundreds of thousands of illegal votes cast in 2020 due to Democratic ballot “mules.” Former President Donald Trump, who has repeatedly peddled “rigged election” lies unsurprisingly gushed that D’Souza had exposed the “great election fraud.” Mediaite link
Some of the 'stars' that attended the premiere. Hollywood, eat your heart out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The stars came out.jpg (85.6 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by newyorkguy; 10th May 2022 at 02:53 PM.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 03:00 PM   #58
eerok
Quixoticist

Damn. Now who do I believe?

OAN Finally Admits ‘No Widespread Voter Fraud’ After Settling Defamation Suit (thedailybeast.com)
Quote:
The right-wing cable network One America News Network on Monday ran a pre-recorded 30-second segment acknowledging that there was “no widespread voter fraud” by Georgia election workers in the 2020 presidential election. The segment appears to be part of a recent settlement relating to a defamation lawsuit brought against the network by two such workers.
Old 10th May 2022, 03:49 PM   #59
Bogative
Master Poster

I should've mentioned that the alleged activity was claimed to involve hundreds of ballots deposited by a single person. Still, their interview with this person was conspicuously short on specifics, and the ballots themselves were clearly not fake, since there are safeguards against that.

ETA:
Also they didn't explain why, if someone could be paid to illegally deposit ballots, someone couldn't be paid to lie about doing so.

True the Vote is claiming their source can be seen in multiple videos stuffing ballots at multiple drop boxes.

Earlier you asked why they haven't turned over the video evidence and why there are no investigations. True the Vote said they turned their findings over to the FBI and the state of Georgia has had an open investigation based off of their evidence since January.
Old 10th May 2022, 04:27 PM   #60
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
True the Vote is claiming their source can be seen in multiple videos stuffing ballots at multiple drop boxes.
Their source? I don't remember seeing that in the film.

There were a few videos of people with small handfuls of ballots that could've been for family members or disabled voters, which would be legal in Georgia. Delivering valid ballots for other people in any quantity is legal in several states as well -- the key point being that the ballots must be valid, and the system is designed to verify that. I don't know what states each of their videos is from.

Earlier you asked why they haven't turned over the video evidence and why there are no investigations. True the Vote said they turned their findings over to the FBI and the state of Georgia has had an open investigation based off of their evidence since January.
There was a parenthetical bit where I added that their videos were debunked, which I understand to be true.

Quote:
Election investigators have reviewed several videos included in “2000 Mules” and found no illegal behavior, including a video that showed a Gwinnett County man inserting ballots into a drop box, according to the secretary of state’s office.

“We investigated, and the five ballots that he turned in were all for himself and his family members,” said Republican Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger during a debate last week.
Quote:
True the Vote hasn’t cooperated with Georgia’s election investigations, refusing to disclose the names of people who allegedly harvested ballots. The State Election Board issued subpoenas on the organization last month to seek documents, recordings and names of individuals involved.

The organization also doesn’t explain how ballot harvesting could have occurred.

Every absentee ballot is assigned to the voter who requested it, and voters can only cast one ballot each.
https://www.ajc.com/politics/what-20...OLZKWHUREQPEU/
Old 10th May 2022, 07:22 PM   #61
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I guess I’ve been a vote mule since I dropped off my parent’s ballots when they had very limited mobility.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 08:01 PM   #62
Bogative
Master Poster

Their source? I don't remember seeing that in the film.
I haven't seen the film myself. Catherine Engelbrecht made the claim in an interview that I can't recall where I saw. I'll post the link if I can find it.
Old 10th May 2022, 10:35 PM   #63
Susheel
Master Poster

Their source? I don't remember seeing that in the film....
Considering his body of work, what makes you think Bogative has even watched the film? Why should he when he can base his spiel on some hack that conforms to his fantasy world view?

Ooops...Ninja'd byt the man himself.
Old 11th May 2022, 01:42 AM   #64
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

If True the Vote said they have video of Biden and Clinton having Blood Marys made with real blood and sharing a Christian Baby charcuterie, there are some people who would believe it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 03:20 AM   #65
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
If True the Vote said they have video of Biden and Clinton having Blood Marys made with real blood and sharing a Christian Baby charcuterie, there are some people who would believe it.

...and there are some who would deny it, even after viewing the authenticated video.
Old 12th May 2022, 03:21 AM   #66
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
...and there are some who would deny it, even after viewing the authenticated video.
Simple Bayesian statistics would demand that you continue to be skeptical.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 04:21 AM   #67
eerok
Quixoticist

Apparently I'm the only person around here stupid enough to have watched 2000 Mules. So what "authenticated video" are you talking about? It was all crap and innuendo, amounting to abject whining unpinned from reality, which is why Trump loved it.
Old 12th May 2022, 04:56 AM   #68
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Apparently I'm the only person around here stupid enough to have watched 2000 Mules. So what "authenticated video" are you talking about? It was all crap and innuendo, amounting to abject whining unpinned from reality, which is why Trump loved it.
What he means, I think, is that Libs would not accept uncontroversial evidence, just because every ... single ... piece of so called "evidence" before turned out to be completely fabricated and internally inconsistent.
Libs just don't get "truthiness", is the problem.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 05:08 AM   #69
SuburbanTurkey

D'Souza at least seems to be a little smarter than some of his peers. His election theft story is quite the whopper, but as far as I can tell he doesn't libel any specific people. I guess the cranks learned a few things from the Dominion fiasco.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 12th May 2022 at 05:18 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 05:13 AM   #70
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I'd bet that Donald Trump has only watched the trailer, he won't have had the attention span to watch all of it, or even extended "highlights"
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 05:51 AM   #71
8enotto
Master Poster

Trimp doesn't need to watch it as he and his loyal lackeys created the base all the current CT crap is dumped on.
He simply will love anything that feeds the doubt even knowing it can't change the results.

It stopped being about facts or reality long ago.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 07:03 AM   #72
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
...the film did premiere at Mar-a-Lago last week and trump loved it!...
trump only watched the trailer? The film premiered at Mar-a-Lago. trump praised the film, telling his assembled guests that D’Souza had exposed the “great election fraud.”

Among the star studded array were (below) Jenna Ellis, her father and Kyle Rittenhouse. Jenna Ellis is a trump lawyer and a self-published author. She wrote The Legal Basis for a Moral Constitution, a book that argues that "the Constitution of the United States can only be interpreted in accordance with the Bible." Nineteen-year-old Kyle Rittenhouse is celebrated among trump supporters for having shot three unarmed men at a demonstration in Kenosha Wisc. killing two of them.

Quite a crew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guests of honor.jpg (90.2 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by newyorkguy; 12th May 2022 at 07:58 AM.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 09:22 AM   #73
Pacal
Graduate Poster

Well it appears that 2000 Mules, from what I have read is complete garbage. The fact that Fox News and several other right wing media sources are refusing to give D'Souza much space, or any, to promote his idiocy would seem to indicate just how convincing this nonsense is. I also notice that a certain network isn't retracting it's appology regarding the stolen election claim is also interesting.

D'Souza joins Zhdanov and Goebbels has one of the great propaganists of the big lie. He should be proud.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 10:33 AM   #74
johnny karate
Suspended

When I search Rotten Tomatoes, this film isn't listed. Odd.
It's not odd at all. Rotten Tomatoes is a curated site. They don't, nor are they obligated to, list every slapped-together piece of dog **** propaganda trying to pass itself off as a legitimate movie.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's not on Rotten Tomatoes but it is on IMDb:

2000 Mules

Looks like a lot of people gave it a 10. No surprise there. This is like any online political survey, people vote what they believe.
Content on IMDb is mostly user-generated. Anyone can create an account and submit their "movie".
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 10:48 AM   #75
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

If you liked/loved 2000 Mules, you'll want to see trump Card, D'Souza's 2020 masterpiece. Here's the promo blurb:

Quote:
Written and directed by acclaimed film maker, scholar, and New York Times best selling author Dinesh D'Souza, TRUMP CARD is an expose of the socialism, corruption and gangsterization that now define the Democratic Party. Whether it is the creeping socialism of Joe Biden or the overt socialism of Bernie Sanders, the film reveals what is unique about modern socialism, who is behind it, why its evil, and how we can work together with President Trump to stop it.
My ex-Boss was soo right...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSouza greatest films.jpg (111.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 12th May 2022, 10:56 AM   #76
johnny karate
Suspended

This thread has given us a nice little primer on the various methods of conspiracy theorists.

First, we have the straightforward approach:
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
What I find more humorous is that the dems are screaming voter suppression despite record turnout for the 2020 election.

The election was stolen. Not at the voter's box but by the mainstream media allowing Biden to hide in his basement and not answering any tough questions. He was asked if he backed "packing the Supreme Court". His answer was "I'll tell you after the election". That's bs. Who would accept that as a reasonable answer?

The Hunter Biden laptop story was true but suppressed by fake book and twitter. The mainstream news called in Russian disinformation. Now we know it's true and today it was reported that some dem lawyer paid Hunter's 2 million in back taxes.

I would imagine that Biden's approval rating would be in the 20% range if the media actually had journalists interested in the truth instead of a narrative.
Just run into the room, shout your crazy ideas, and then immediately sprint away before you can be challenged on anything. Probably the least effective method, but definitely the most entertaining.

Then we have a more savvy approach. Float your crazy ideas....

... but then immediately back-pedal away from them:
I haven't seen the film myself. Catherine Engelbrecht made the claim in an interview that I can't recall where I saw. I'll post the link if I can find it.
It's the "People are saying" strategy popularized by Trump. You're not making the claim, you're just pointing out that someone else is making the claim. You get to put your conspiracy theory out there without taking responsibility for it. It would be clever it wasn't so transparent.

And finally we have the more oblique method:
When I search Rotten Tomatoes, this film isn't listed. Odd.
No specific claims are made, but questions and observations are presented to create an air of suspicion. Something appears off here, and I'm just an open-minded person trying to sort it out. It has the benefit of providing total deniability, but fails in actual communicating the nature of the conspiracy theory.

All in all, I think Bogative's method is the most effective. With this method, you are able to clearly communicate your conspiracy theory without being held accountable for how stupid and crazy it is.

Nice work, Bogative!
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 12:47 PM   #77
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
No specific claims are made, but questions and observations are presented to create an air of suspicion. Something appears off here, and I'm just an open-minded person trying to sort it out. It has the benefit of providing total deniability, but fails in actual communicating the nature of the conspiracy theory.

This reads like a conspiracy theory, in itself.

If I was wrapped up in this conspiracy theory, I probably would have watched the film...
Old 12th May 2022, 02:55 PM   #78
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

This is all a D'Souza narcissistic promotion exercise, not anything at all to do with the 2020 election or voter fraud or whatever. Like Trump and Mike Pillow, he just likes to see his own name still in the news. It is his only claim to relevancy. Otherwise he is just some anonymous loudmouth street-corner ranter. Quite literally. And all the other anonymous loudmouth street-corner ranters are louder than him and outnumber him.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 03:03 PM   #79
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
This is all a D'Souza narcissistic promotion exercise, not anything at all to do with the 2020 election or voter fraud or whatever. Like Trump and Mike Pillow, he just likes to see his own name still in the news. It is his only claim to relevancy. Otherwise he is just some anonymous loudmouth street-corner ranter. Quite literally. And all the other anonymous loudmouth street-corner ranters are louder than him and outnumber him.
D'Souza is getting paid for spreading right-wing BS, so it's just another workday for him.

I guess it's a good question: is he crazy, sleazy, or both?

Last edited by eerok; 12th May 2022 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12th May 2022, 03:52 PM   #80
johnny karate
Suspended

This reads like a conspiracy theory, in itself.

If I was wrapped up in this conspiracy theory, I probably would have watched the film...
Exactly, because everything you claim is 100% true and you have absolutely no motive to lie. Why, you're just an impartial observer who just popped into this thread out of idle curiosity. No horse in this race whatsoever.

Just like how you are totally not an anti-vaxxer, but you just happen to have the same concerns about "long-term effects" that coincidentally aligns with the rhetoric of anti-vaxxers.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics