ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 29th December 2019, 05:03 PM   #201
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 46,635
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Wow, this was quite an aggressive attack on a mere footnote

While the RSPCA does indeed prosecute as private prosecutions, it's not quite as black-and-white as that. The RSPCA is one of the official prosecuting authorities in England & Wales, and it carries its authority to prosecute animal welfare charges from the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1932.

The RSPCA has its own investigators, but on their own they have no statutory powers. However, police will (almost without exception) accompany RSPCA inspectors and enforce entry, searches and arrests if so requested. So that in itself makes an RSPCA inspector substantially different from "the man in the street".


Anyhow, as I said, it was only ever a footnote. Seems like it's important to you though, so if you prefer to believe that the RSPCA has no more powers and authority than you or I to investigate/prosecute suspected animal welfare offences, well go right ahead
If RSPCA investigators have no statutory powers, what exactly are the police enforcing, when they go along?

In the US, the police would need a warrant, signed by a judge. They can't just enter a private residence on the say so of an SPCA "investigator". Is it different in the UK?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2019, 05:20 PM   #202
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 15,879
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
If RSPCA investigators have no statutory powers, what exactly are the police enforcing, when they go along?

In the US, the police would need a warrant, signed by a judge. They can't just enter a private residence on the say so of an SPCA "investigator". Is it different in the UK?

Yes, it's different in the UK*. The RSPCA has certain rights under the Animal Welfare Act to seize and detain animals whom they believe to be in serious distress or suffering - but its inspectors have no powers to enter private properties. Nor do the inspectors have the power to compel questioning (under arrest if necessary or appropriate). But it is customary for police to carry out these actions under the direction of the RSPCA.

I believe that police will agree to act straight away to enforce entry to a property and removal of an animal, if the RSPCA have judged there to be a reasonable likelihood that the animal is in serious distress or suffering. I believe the police will only arrest subject to a request from senior investigators and/or lawyers working for the RSPCA.


* The situation is similar to the situation regarding humans: if the police have a reasonable suspicion that a human within a private property is in serious distress or suffering, the police have the right to enforce entry to the property without a warrant. I suspect the same is true in every state of the USA as well.....
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2019, 05:25 PM   #203
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster
 
Pterodactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,236
I'm not reading through 6 pages of this, but someone has to have made the point that, without firearms readily available due to laws, "humane" dispatching of animals becomes slightly more difficult.
A wack to the head with a bat seems about the next most reasonable option.
Axe?
Chainsaw?

I regularly see foxes in my back yard. I think they're neat critters but I don't keep chickens. I assume if I did I'd view them differently.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2019, 05:30 PM   #204
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 27,864
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
I'm not reading through 6 pages of this, but someone has to have made the point that, without firearms readily available due to laws, "humane" dispatching of animals becomes slightly more difficult.
A wack to the head with a bat seems about the next most reasonable option.
Axe?
Chainsaw?

I regularly see foxes in my back yard. I think they're neat critters but I don't keep chickens. I assume if I did I'd view them differently.
That’s what I have been saying about school children in every other country for years. People say, “you can’t shoot kids!” I say, “what else am I supposed to do? Whack them over the head with a baseball bat!?!”
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2019, 06:09 PM   #205
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 18,885
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Yes, it's different in the UK*. The RSPCA has certain rights under the Animal Welfare Act to seize and detain animals whom they believe to be in serious distress or suffering - but its inspectors have no powers to enter private properties. Nor do the inspectors have the power to compel questioning (under arrest if necessary or appropriate). But it is customary for police to carry out these actions under the direction of the RSPCA.

I believe that police will agree to act straight away to enforce entry to a property and removal of an animal, if the RSPCA have judged there to be a reasonable likelihood that the animal is in serious distress or suffering. I believe the police will only arrest subject to a request from senior investigators and/or lawyers working for the RSPCA.


* The situation is similar to the situation regarding humans: if the police have a reasonable suspicion that a human within a private property is in serious distress or suffering, the police have the right to enforce entry to the property without a warrant. I suspect the same is true in every state of the USA as well.....
Indeed

This is only going by watching a load of Alan Davies's dog saving program, the UK RSPCA can call in the cops with enough concern and she is smash the front door in type scenario.
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2019, 07:50 PM   #206
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 45,979
Or even when there's nothing wrong at all but someone has developed a grudge. Took three trials to get the dog owner acquitted.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 07:34 AM   #207
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,310
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
I'm not reading through 6 pages of this, but someone has to have made the point that, without firearms readily available due to laws, "humane" dispatching of animals becomes slightly more difficult.
A wack to the head with a bat seems about the next most reasonable option.
Axe?
Chainsaw?

I regularly see foxes in my back yard. I think they're neat critters but I don't keep chickens. I assume if I did I'd view them differently.
A few things that would probably be different:

A) You probably wouldn't use netting. You'd use actual wire fencing, or wooden fencing.
B) The animal really didn't need to be "dispatched" as it wasn't really doing anything other than being stuck. As was mentioned, throw a blanket over it, call the RSCPA, wait for them to show up and get him free. Probably after sedating him
C) Don't brag about it like a dick head on twitter. Keep it to yourself. If it was something you really didn't want to do, why would you want to tell others about it?
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 11:55 PM   #208
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 17,475
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
I'm not reading through 6 pages of this, but someone has to have made the point that, without firearms readily available due to laws, "humane" dispatching of animals becomes slightly more difficult.
A wack to the head with a bat seems about the next most reasonable option.
Axe?
Chainsaw?

I regularly see foxes in my back yard. I think they're neat critters but I don't keep chickens. I assume if I did I'd view them differently.
I think if you do read the whole thread you will find some informative posts that present and explain opposing/different points of view. Whatever you eventually come to believe, fine. But frankly it is frustrating to be told that one’s prior posts on a subject are of zero interest to a poster newly entering a thread. Are we with views and information different from yours, or even supporting yours, now to simply accept your post as the definitive statement or are we expected to now reiterate what we already said because you indicate that you don’t wish to read what is already there?

[added in-edit]. Sorry, that was kind of grumpy of me. Tired. Please let me retroactively notch my grump down a few notches but hope you understand.

Last edited by Giordano; 31st December 2019 at 01:19 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2020, 05:45 AM   #209
Shepherd
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 357
"Fox-killing lawyer Jolyon Maugham will not be charged, says RSPCA"

Quote:
The RSPCA said in a statement: "An independent post-mortem and forensic veterinary assessment of the fox's body was carried out and findings indicate the fox was killed swiftly.

"Therefore, in this case, the prosecutions department determined that the evidential threshold needed to take a prosecution under the CPS code was not met under any legislation relating to animals or wildlife."
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51755899
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2020, 07:10 AM   #210
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 45,979
Hah. I've been involved in very similar cases and I know that in normal circumstances the RSPCA pressurise the vet doing the post mortem to put the words "unnecessary suffering" in the report so they can prosecute. I've been told (in Scotland) by a prosecuting advocate "just give me a couple of seconds of suffering, that's all I need".

I don't believe for one second that a complete amateur with a baseball bat is capable of killing a fox without a level of suffering that would be sufficient for the RSPCA to go after an ordinary punter with all guns blazing.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2020, 07:49 AM   #211
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 20,082
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
Based upon information I've now seen from multiple sources including from their own website, what you say here about the RSPCA does not appear to be correct. It seems that in actuality they do not have any sort of special prosecutorial privilege whatsoever - nor legal enforcement authority nor police or investigative powers, either, for that matter. They have, however, received criticism from others for maybe having tried to convey such an impression through their dress and behavior and whatnot - but which they have also supposedly denied.

...hmmm...

It appears, then, that they have no more right to bring charges as you would have as an individual. So, I guess you too could "investigate" and have at it, also, if you really wanted!
I realise I'm dredging this up, but criticism of their mode of dress, as in 'They're trying to look like policemen' isn't valid.

Policemen are trying to look like RSPA Officers.


"In 1829 when the first recognisable police force was established in England,[67][68] they adopted a similar uniform to that of RSPCA inspectors who had been wearing uniforms since the charity's beginning in 1824. This adoption has led to similarities in the RSPCA rank names and rank insignia with British police ranks, which has led some critics (such as Chris Newman, chairman of the Federation of Companion Animal Societies)[69] to suggest an attempt to "adopt" police powers in the public imagination. "


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_...lty_to_Animals
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2020, 08:02 AM   #212
Shepherd
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 357
I mentioned something about that in the post you quoted:

"Historically it seems those in this organization were wearing uniforms with emblems of various "ranks" before a real police force was even a thing, btw."
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2020, 08:36 AM   #213
Wolrab
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,734
In other news, rodents file a class action suit against felines for excessive torture during cats teaching their kittens to hunt.
__________________
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2020, 09:47 AM   #214
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,310
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
I don't believe for one second that a complete amateur with a baseball bat is capable of killing a fox without a level of suffering that would be sufficient for the RSPCA to go after an ordinary punter with all guns blazing.
Why wouldn't you believe that? Seems perfectly in the realm of belief. I don't like that he did it and I think there are a myriad of other options he had (some I've stated in this thread). That being said, the average fox is rather small, with a small cranium. A solid hit to the head from a grown man would easily cause immediate unconsciousness or death.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2020, 09:48 AM   #215
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,310
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
In other news, rodents file a class action suit against felines for excessive torture during cats teaching their kittens to hunt.
I don't understand what this is supposed to mean? The fox was looking to eat the chickens. The man wasn't hunting or looking to eat the fox. This is a weird ass comparison and I'm not really sure what point you were attempting to make was.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2020, 09:53 AM   #216
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 20,082
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I don't understand what this is supposed to mean?
I think it's that the poster has a very feline moral framework.
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2020, 02:35 PM   #217
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 45,979
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Why wouldn't you believe that? Seems perfectly in the realm of belief. I don't like that he did it and I think there are a myriad of other options he had (some I've stated in this thread). That being said, the average fox is rather small, with a small cranium. A solid hit to the head from a grown man would easily cause immediate unconsciousness or death.

Extensive experience with wildlife crime and knowledge of the extreme difficulty of doing that unless you have the fox's head trapped in an actual vice. Seriously I have been on the inside of similar cases often, and there is no way on God's green earth that the RSPCA (or indeed the SSPCA who are somewhat more understanding of human frailty and somewhat less wedded to prosecuting everything that even looks a bit manky) would have declined to prosecute that if it had been Joe Bloggs.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 08:15 AM   #218
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,310
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Extensive experience with wildlife crime and knowledge of the extreme difficulty of doing that unless you have the fox's head trapped in an actual vice. Seriously I have been on the inside of similar cases often, and there is no way on God's green earth that the RSPCA (or indeed the SSPCA who are somewhat more understanding of human frailty and somewhat less wedded to prosecuting everything that even looks a bit manky) would have declined to prosecute that if it had been Joe Bloggs.
Ok, but you still have absolutely no evidence at all that contradicts the RSPCA that the animal didn't suffer. They were quick to respond, performed their tasks, and their investigation came to a conclusion. You're just denying that conclusion based on anecdotal evidence.

The fox was stuck in netting and if it had been there awhile there's a chance it was extremely exhausted from battling against the netting. The head doesn't need to be in a vice. I've lived in rural North Dakota and Minnesota almost all of my life and have had to deal with animals. What is being described is just not strange at all, other than to the conspiratorial mind.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 11:27 AM   #219
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 45,979
It is absolutely impossible that the animal didn't suffer according to the criteria that the RSPCA apply to all the other cases they investigate. Apparently excluding cases where the accused person is someone of note, apparently.

This was my actual job for over 30 years.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 11:32 AM   #220
Ron Swanson
Illuminator
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,528
If you actually owned poultry, AND you killed him with one blow, it would be legal here. A .22 rifle is the preferred method.

Exception would be if it is a "Gray Fox" they are protected by the federal Species at Risk Act, theory being? There's not many Gray Foxes and plenty of chickens I guess
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 12:07 PM   #221
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 45,979
I do not believe for one second that a barrister wearing his wife's kimono managed to kill a fox with a single blow from a baseball bat.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 12:09 PM   #222
Ron Swanson
Illuminator
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,528
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
I do not believe for one second that a barrister wearing his wife's kimono managed to kill a fox with a single blow from a baseball bat.
I agree ... in fact I think that statement as proof alone, might stand up in court!
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 12:12 PM   #223
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,310
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
I do not believe for one second that a barrister wearing his wife's kimono managed to kill a fox with a single blow from a baseball bat.
Thankfully the world doesn't run off of either of your beliefs. It runs off of the available evidence, and again, you've presented nothing to support your view. You've appealed to yourself as an authority, which you aren't, and you've merely handwaved it away. Both of you.

This isn't a religion, I don't care what you believe. The facts and evidence available don't agree with you guys. Take it or leave it.

ETA: What the **** does it matter what he was wearing? A person can't be killed by another human because they're in a clown suit? That rational is so void of logic it's completely laughable.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 20th March 2020 at 12:14 PM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 12:18 PM   #224
Ron Swanson
Illuminator
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,528
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
A person can't be killed by another human because they're in a clown suit? That rational is so void of logic it's completely laughable.
Z

You've got it all back to front!

When a killer wears a "clown suit" it makes it approximately 600% EASIER to kill another person ... and protects the killers life by the same volume
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 12:19 PM   #225
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 45,979
I have actually done post mortem examinations on a wide range of species where the RSPCA or the SSPCA were suspicious that unnecessary suffering had been caused. The RSPCA in particular is notoriously judgemental, and does not take kindly to a report that says the animal actually didn't suffer. Even if it didn't. I know of one case involving baby mice where a report stating conclusively that they had been killed instantly (their heads were squashed two-dimensional, presumably by a boot or shoe) was concealed from the defence and the youths involved pressurised into pleading guilty to burning the mice with a cigarette lighter. The report said clearly that there was no sign of burning on the bodies whatsoever.

It can sometimes be difficult to tease out what has happened in cases where there are both ante-mortem and post-mortem injuries present. However in this case there is no dispute about what happened. Maugham admits he killed the fox with a baseball bat. I cannot imagine any way that happened in the circumstances described whereby the fox was rendered immediately insensible by a single blow to the head. I'm sorry but this is a whitewash.

And I really don't care what random internet people with no experience in this field think.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.

Last edited by Rolfe; 20th March 2020 at 12:20 PM.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 01:11 PM   #226
Shepherd
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 357
It sounds like you would make an absolutely wonderful witness for the defense!

Do you not realize that what you are saying could be very incriminating to some members of the RSPCA themselves? ...or perhaps even self-incriminating?
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 02:05 PM   #227
rockinkt
Graduate Poster
 
rockinkt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,817
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Thankfully the world doesn't run off of either of your beliefs. It runs off of the available evidence, and again, you've presented nothing to support your view. You've appealed to yourself as an authority, which you aren't, and you've merely handwaved it away. Both of you.

This isn't a religion, I don't care what you believe. The facts and evidence available don't agree with you guys. Take it or leave it.

ETA: What the **** does it matter what he was wearing? A person can't be killed by another human because they're in a clown suit? That rational is so void of logic it's completely laughable.
^This is what I expect to see on a site that is supposedly dedicated to logic and the scientific method.^

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
I have actually done post mortem examinations on a wide range of species where the RSPCA or the SSPCA were suspicious that unnecessary suffering had been caused. The RSPCA in particular is notoriously judgemental, and does not take kindly to a report that says the animal actually didn't suffer. Even if it didn't. I know of one case involving baby mice where a report stating conclusively that they had been killed instantly (their heads were squashed two-dimensional, presumably by a boot or shoe) was concealed from the defence and the youths involved pressurised into pleading guilty to burning the mice with a cigarette lighter. The report said clearly that there was no sign of burning on the bodies whatsoever.

It can sometimes be difficult to tease out what has happened in cases where there are both ante-mortem and post-mortem injuries present. However in this case there is no dispute about what happened. Maugham admits he killed the fox with a baseball bat. I cannot imagine any way that happened in the circumstances described whereby the fox was rendered immediately insensible by a single blow to the head. I'm sorry but this is a whitewash.

And I really don't care what random internet people with no experience in this field think.
^This is pure emotionalism and utter hogwash. If you think that such a blow to the head would not render a fox immediately senseless or dead - you are incredibly inexperienced at dispatching animals.

Like you - I don't care what random internet people with no experience in this field think.

When I was in my early teens an old family friend who lived a subsistence lifestyle started to take me out on his traplines. In exchange for my help I was learning more bushcraft and how to trap from a man who at that time had lived off his knowledge and bushcraft for over 50 years.
This was before conibear traps were widely in use so leg hold traps and snares were what we used. Over 4 trapping seasons we killed hundreds of animals such as foxes, fishers, mink and weasels with a sharp blow to the head with a stick far smaller than a cricket bat. They died instantly. Period. End of story.

I stopped trapping the day he could no longer longer ply his trade. I'm not bragging or beating my chest about what is certainly not seen as a pleasant pursuit - especially for those far removed from the real world and brutality of life in the wild - but I am not ashamed of what I did during that time.
It was part of his life and my life and the lives of all our ancestors.
__________________
"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." Steve Earle

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 02:08 PM   #228
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 45,979
I'm no fan of the RSPCA's witch-hunts against people who have not actually been cruel to an animal, or have fallen a bit short because of lack of knowledge. But I will back them when cruelty has actually occurred. I've been on both prosecution and defence sides in animal welfare cases, depending on the evidence. I have given evidence for the RSPCA when the evidence was there, and given evidence against them when I judged the evidence lay in the other direction. I can guarantee that my 30 years experience in veterinary pathology, dealing with exactly these sorts of cases, is quite sufficient to judge what is going on here.

This is the first time ever I have seen them let someone off the hook when there must inevitably have been sufficient evidence to prosecute by their own standards, by which even a few seconds of discomfort is enough to throw the book at someone.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.

Last edited by Rolfe; 20th March 2020 at 02:11 PM.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 02:49 PM   #229
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator
 
zooterkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Berkshire, mostly
Posts: 46,805
Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post


^This is pure emotionalism and utter hogwash. If you think that such a blow to the head would not render a fox immediately senseless or dead - you are incredibly inexperienced at dispatching animals.
What experience of dispatching animals do you expect a barrister to have? What are the chances he would be able to deliver such a blow first time?
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.Bertrand Russell
Zooterkin is correct Darat
Nerd! Hokulele
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 02:51 PM   #230
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 93,745
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Thankfully the world doesn't run off of either of your beliefs. It runs off of the available evidence, and again, you've presented nothing to support your view. You've appealed to yourself as an authority, which you aren't, and you've merely handwaved it away. Both of you.

This isn't a religion, I don't care what you believe. The facts and evidence available don't agree with you guys. Take it or leave it.

ETA: What the **** does it matter what he was wearing? A person can't be killed by another human because they're in a clown suit? That rational is so void of logic it's completely laughable.
Er in this matter Rolfe is an authority.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 03:19 PM   #231
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 21,181
Well-known British barrister jokes on Twitter about beating a trapped fox to death.

This thread title is driving me nuts. I can't be the only person clicking on this link looking for a tweet that lists out the well-known British barrister jokes about beating a trapped fox to death. I mean, I know the British have an interesting sense of humor, but still I can't imagine there are enough of such jokes that they are categorized into "obscure" and "well-known".
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 03:20 PM   #232
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 45,979
Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
What experience of dispatching animals do you expect a barrister to have? What are the chances he would be able to deliver such a blow first time?

That's exactly it. I've got a lot of experience of dispatching animals, and I know the anatomy extremely well. Bashing them over the head is something I admit I have not tried, and hopefully never will have to try. If I had to though, I could at least approach the problem with a degree of planning. If the head was still, and was resting on an immovable surface such as a tarmac road or a paving stone, I hope I could manage it cleanly. That's hope.

Given the description of this incident, from Maugham himself, there is no chance whatsoever that he managed that. Boy would I have liked to be a fly on the wall at that post mortem. I wonder who did it? An independent pathologist, or one of the RSPCA's own vets who is a clinician with no pathology experience or training? I could take a guess here actually.

I don't care that much who decides they want to believe the whitewash, I'm just telling you that if I had still been in the job I was in before I moved to Scotland I would have been in line for doing that post mortem, that is if they wanted an independent and unbiassed result. And I simply can't imagine not having found evidence of unnecessary suffering, given Maugham's own account of the events.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 03:24 PM   #233
rockinkt
Graduate Poster
 
rockinkt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,817
Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
What experience of dispatching animals do you expect a barrister to have? What are the chances he would be able to deliver such a blow first time?
A blow to the head is a blow to the head. A cricket bat weighs 2-3 pounds. A red fox weighs about 30 lbs max. Any blow to the head with reasonable force would have rendered a fox insensible or dead. It isn't rocket science.
Besides - what PROOF do you have that he didn't? After all we are talking a criminal court decision involving reality - not mere speculation based on personal feelings and no first hand knowledge.
__________________
"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." Steve Earle

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 03:35 PM   #234
rockinkt
Graduate Poster
 
rockinkt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,817
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
I'm no fan of the RSPCA's witch-hunts against people who have not actually been cruel to an animal, or have fallen a bit short because of lack of knowledge. But I will back them when cruelty has actually occurred. I've been on both prosecution and defence sides in animal welfare cases, depending on the evidence. I have given evidence for the RSPCA when the evidence was there, and given evidence against them when I judged the evidence lay in the other direction. I can guarantee that my 30 years experience in veterinary pathology, dealing with exactly these sorts of cases, is quite sufficient to judge what is going on here.

This is the first time ever I have seen them let someone off the hook when there must inevitably have been sufficient evidence to prosecute by their own standards, by which even a few seconds of discomfort is enough to throw the book at someone.

Please be specific with what you know of the actual event giving such incredibly important details such as how many blows were used, the specific injuries the fox sustained, and where and when (order of blows - if more than one) the killing blow was made.

Edited to add: You can only be certain if you had the information gleaned from the necropsy. If you do - say so.
If the necropsy showed incidental injuries arising from the entanglement in the fence and then one massive skull fracture and resulting brain injury from one blow of the bat - how can you say that the animal suffered at the hands of the batsman?
__________________
"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." Steve Earle

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 20th March 2020 at 03:43 PM.
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 03:52 PM   #235
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 45,979
The whole thing was all over Twitter at the time, with Maughan's description of what happened. Bored now.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 04:11 PM   #236
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 46,635
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
The whole thing was all over Twitter at the time, with Maughan's description of what happened. Bored now.
That hardly seems fair. You challenge other people's perceptions of the event, but the moment someone challenges your own perceptions, you declare the conversation over. Obviously such bad behavior isn't against the rules, but it doesn't reflect well on the RSPCA and its supporters.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 04:27 PM   #237
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 45,979
Have you mistaken me for a supporter of the RSPCA? How could that possibly have happened?
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2020, 01:43 AM   #238
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator
 
zooterkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Berkshire, mostly
Posts: 46,805
Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
A blow to the head is a blow to the head. A cricket bat weighs 2-3 pounds. A red fox weighs about 30 lbs max. Any blow to the head with reasonable force would have rendered a fox insensible or dead. It isn't rocket science.
Nonsense. A cricket bat is not designed for delivering a blow with the end of the bat. Depending on how the fox was caught, it could have been very awkward to swing the bat at it at all; a baseball bat would have been more suitable; something like a hammer, ideal. Delivering a blow sufficient to kill a fox, first time, is not a given.

I also find it odd that it’s assumed that it’s also just a matter of physics; I would personally find it very difficult to kill any animal by hitting it. Not through any particular belief, but simply through natural squeamishness.
Quote:
Besides - what PROOF do you have that he didn't? After all we are talking a criminal court decision involving reality - not mere speculation based on personal feelings and no first hand knowledge.
Rolfe has a lot more than personal feelings on a matter like this.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.Bertrand Russell
Zooterkin is correct Darat
Nerd! Hokulele
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2020, 04:57 AM   #239
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 45,979
I have actually carried out more post mortems of this nature than I care to recall. I have also acted as witness (two professionals are better than one if a court case gets sticky) for many more. I have been on the receiving end of pressure from the RSPCA to state that "unnecessary suffering" occurred even when it actually didn't. I remember saying to one "inspector", look if that had been an accident, we'd all have been saying "well at least he didn't suffer." (This was where a hedgehog had been killed instantly by having a large rock dropped on it. Not that I held any brief for the boys that did it, but instantaneous killing of a hedgehog is not a crime. If you think it should be, then pass appropriate legislation.)

It simply beggars belief that Maughan, someone with no experience or training in despatching animals, and armed only with a cricket or baseball bat, and yes I think that he had just run out of the house wearing only his wife's kimono is also relevant here, was able to render an adult fox instantly insensible with a single blow to the head. His own description at the time argues against it.

The fox was trapped. The obvious thing to do was to phone the RSPCA and tell them, and they would have sent someone with proper training and equipment to do whatever was necessary, whether that was to remove the fox alive and take it to a wildlife rescue centre, or despatch it humanely. But no, Mr Gung-ho decided to do it himself and then take to twitter to boast about it. Anyone else would have been in the dock. Privilege is a wonderful thing.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.

Last edited by Rolfe; 21st March 2020 at 05:00 AM.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2020, 05:38 AM   #240
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,608
Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
What are the chances he would be able to deliver such a blow first time?
50%.

He either delivered a fatal blow, or he did not.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:42 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.