ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cognitive bias , Coronavirus , critical thinking

Old 5th August 2020, 08:04 PM   #1
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
COVID-19 Cognitive Biases

Confirmation Bias, Dunning-Kruger effect, Anchoring, Ostrich effect, Exaggerated Pessimism, and more.

This is a 14 minute video on the common cognitive biases we see, especially now during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Good lessons in good thinking, and how to avoid cognitive shortcuts that don't let us think things through in times of crisis.

Have you noticed any of these?

I found the video because I searched after I'd thought someone might have published something on the Availability Cascade and the virus.

I'd noticed people getting carried away with certain things (panic-buying, baking at home, "day drinking" encouragement, certain terms in language).

https://youtu.be/nwZyzB8lHCg

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 09:29 PM   #2
8enotto
Graduate Poster

People in total panic mode are equally bad as deniers. Taking a sensible middle route to preventing contact and maintaining ones routine seems to keep the sanity.

My boss went deep into suggested measures without breaking contact with his CV positive friends. Yet he was more worried the rest of the crew was putting him at risk.

The elbow for coughs and sneezes and then bumping elbows instead of a handshake? Did we think this through? No contact is better, not visiting ill friends if you are worried for the family at home.

Not everyone can do as I am for regional differences, like population density, but don't let fear overthrow reason.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 09:59 PM   #3
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
People in total panic mode are equally bad as deniers. Taking a sensible middle route to preventing contact and maintaining ones routine seems to keep the sanity.

My boss went deep into suggested measures without breaking contact with his CV positive friends. Yet he was more worried the rest of the crew was putting him at risk.

The elbow for coughs and sneezes and then bumping elbows instead of a handshake? Did we think this through? No contact is better, not visiting ill friends if you are worried for the family at home.

Not everyone can do as I am for regional differences, like population density, but don't let fear overthrow reason.
The really dumb thing about the elbow bump is that it brings your faces closer than a handshake. Granted you aren't sharing skin-to-skin contact, but since the damn thing is airborne it's a spectacularly stupid idea. Fortunately it does not seem to have caught on.
Old 7th August 2020, 06:30 AM   #4
Fidelio
Muse

Thanks, if I recall this site was established for rational thinking. Well done.
Old 10th August 2020, 08:36 PM   #5
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
Thanks, if I recall this site was established for rational thinking. Well done.
Cheers, Fidelio.

I should check out more of the site.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 05:12 PM   #6
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

I suffered through that, lol. It was like being told not to use straw man arguments.

Our strategy has been to hedge against what governments and the public were going to do, as opposed to preparing for the strictly medical aspects of Covid 19.

It's worked out for us, just amazing. One home run after another.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal