ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd August 2020, 08:16 PM   #1
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Darker font needed on windows desktop

I'm slowly getting Window 10 adjusted to my preferences but this one is the height of ridiculousness from Bill Gates and his Totally Fine Operating System. It is impossible from within Windows 10 to change the colo(u)r of the text under an icon on the screen! Widows does want it wants and tough on Mr User.

I've done much'o Googling and adjusting of parameters. Selecting only recent posts gets me what seems to be the most recent non-answer:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...f9b963c?page=1

I'm not RayKanga85 but as he says in his final reply: "I have received a number of suggestions, thank you. Windows 10 needs to supply a solution that will allow black text on a light-coloured background on the home screen."

Old 3rd August 2020, 11:00 PM   #2
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I'm slowly getting Window 10 adjusted to my preferences but this one is the height of ridiculousness from Bill Gates and his Totally Fine Operating System. It is impossible from within Windows 10 to change the colo(u)r of the text under an icon on the screen! Widows does want it wants and tough on Mr User.

I've done much'o Googling and adjusting of parameters. Selecting only recent posts gets me what seems to be the most recent non-answer:

I'm not RayKanga85 but as he says in his final reply: "I have received a number of suggestions, thank you. Windows 10 needs to supply a solution that will allow black text on a light-coloured background on the home screen."

This might help

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/chang...-in-windows-10

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2020, 11:38 PM   #3
Wudang
BOFH

Possibly something from Stardock might do it. It’s been a long time since I had Object Desktop. Maybe try wincustomize?
Old 4th August 2020, 03:23 PM   #4
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Check out Winaero Tweaker.

Among (many) other things it will let you choose fonts, etc, for icons and just about everything else.

Here's an article describing all of the different things it can do.

It's been around for years, and is well-vetted and safe. Bleeping Computer even went to bat for it when Windows Defender mistakenly began flagging it as a threat.

(A problem which MS has ... sort of ... since corrected. If you get a Defender warning when you try to install it you may want to force an update of your virus definitions, but you can safely override the warning.)

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 4th August 2020 at 03:28 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 05:43 PM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Cue the Apple and Linux fans in 3...2...1....
Old 4th August 2020, 08:32 PM   #6
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks for the suggestions. I had no real doubt that the change could be made using third-party software. I just have to research it. Of the first two I looked at, one was a broken link, and the second required payment and a reboot to see what the effect was.

This is something that should be part of the OS.
Old 4th August 2020, 08:36 PM   #7
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

When usability is at stake, I would agree!

Often, I hear too many people saying "Oh, it's only aesthetics. Who cares about the color?!" Those people don't have eyesight problems.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 10:51 PM   #8
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Thanks for the suggestions. I had no real doubt that the change could be made using third-party software. I just have to research it. Of the first two I looked at, one was a broken link, and the second required payment and a reboot to see what the effect was.

OK, step one: install OS X ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 11:17 PM   #9
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

feedback@microsoft.com

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 02:36 AM   #10
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
When usability is at stake, I would agree!

Often, I hear too many people saying "Oh, it's only aesthetics. Who cares about the color?!" Those people don't have eyesight problems.
For people with "accessibility" problems due to eyesight there are themes built in that will help, high contrast modes, increase font size, red/green colour blind themes and so on.

As far as I can recall Macs have the same "limitation".
Old 5th August 2020, 03:29 AM   #11
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Requiring reboots will be pretty common for this sort of thing because some of the changes are on a fairly fundamental level and need the reboot to be properly implemented. Changing the font for a desktop icon is a perfect example of this. It happens at the registry level, and the third party programs are just doing the registry editing for you. A reboot is needed for any registry change to take effect, no matter how it's done.

If one of the ones you looked at was Winaero, it doesn't 'require' payment. It does solicit donations, but you don't have to donate to use the program, and it doesn't use any sort of "crippleware" scheme. It is fully functional whether you give them money or not.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 09:33 AM   #12
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Requiring reboots will be pretty common for this sort of thing because some of the changes are on a fairly fundamental level and need the reboot to be properly implemented. Changing the font for a desktop icon is a perfect example of this. It happens at the registry level, and the third party programs are just doing the registry editing for you. A reboot is needed for any registry change to take effect, no matter how it's done.

If one of the ones you looked at was Winaero, it doesn't 'require' payment. It does solicit donations, but you don't have to donate to use the program, and it doesn't use any sort of "crippleware" scheme. It is fully functional whether you give them money or not.
You are not telling me anything I am not aware off. But I do miss OS/2.

From an OS/2 FAQ:

Quote:
Changing icon text color

The color of the icon text on your desktop can be changed as follows:
Open the Color Palette.
Hold the Ctrl key.
Use the right mouse button to drag the desired color to the desktop.
Changing colour of a shadow icon (qv) is just about as easy.

I have now downloaded and installed and searched and tried various logical options to change the icon text colour in Windows 10 using Winaero. There appears to be no way for the user to do so.
Old 5th August 2020, 11:55 AM   #13
CORed
Philosopher

Well, if you can't change the text color, you can change the background color to something that makes the text more visible. I agree that it's pretty ridiculous that there is no easy or obvious way to change the text color. It's something you can do in most command consoles or terminal emulators since they actually had more than one color (even some of the old monochrome terminals you could reverse text and background).
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 01:36 PM   #14
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Well, if you can't change the text color, you can change the background color to something that makes the text more visible. I agree that it's pretty ridiculous that there is no easy or obvious way to change the text color. It's something you can do in most command consoles or terminal emulators since they actually had more than one color (even some of the old monochrome terminals you could reverse text and background).
I remember having to do that on my old Windows 98 machine because I had a light background. It must have been pretty simple. Come to think of it, there were lots of customization options, like window frame pixel width and color, window focus colors, etc.
Old 5th August 2020, 01:39 PM   #15
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
But you can't change the background colour to make the text more readable because Windows 10 selects the colour of the text based on a the colour of the background you select. Automatically. Irrevocably. Irreversibly. The suggested work-a-rounds involve selecting a background colour (orange is suggested as that forces black text) and then swapping in your own background image that is colour you want. I can't make it work. In the meantime all the fustsing around with the Display and Usability options has now added black taskbars to my windows.
Old 5th August 2020, 01:42 PM   #16
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I remember having to do that on my old Windows 98 machine because I had a light background. It must have been pretty simple. Come to think of it, there were lots of customization options, like window frame pixel width and color, window focus colors, etc.
Things have been "improved" since then.
Old 5th August 2020, 02:52 PM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Every "on" pixel is another light shining in my face. Also, I find any background busyness too distracting. So I set my desktop to flat black and have no problem with the light text of the icons.

On the other hand, shouldn't the icons themselves be telling you everything you need to know?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 05:34 PM   #18
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
For people with "accessibility" problems due to eyesight there are themes built in that will help, high contrast modes, increase font size, red/green colour blind themes and so on.

As far as I know there is no operating system that gives you total arbitrary control over every visual element on screen. If you want that, and have the skills, I'm sure it would be possible to build an OS over a linux base that would allow it.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 02:12 AM   #19
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
As far as I know there is no operating system that gives you total arbitrary control over every visual element on screen. If you want that, and have the skills, I'm sure it would be possible to build an OS over a linux base that would allow it.
#pedantry Desktop environment, not OS.
Old 6th August 2020, 11:01 AM   #20
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Every "on" pixel is another light shining in my face. Also, I find any background busyness too distracting. So I set my desktop to flat black and have no problem with the light text of the icons.

On the other hand, shouldn't the icons themselves be telling you everything you need to know?
Close to everything but not everything. Some are intuitive. Others not very.
Old 6th August 2020, 11:13 AM   #21
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Attempts have been made to replicate the OS/2 Workplace Shell on other OSs.

If you want the real thing try ArcaOSWP.
Old 11th August 2020, 07:26 AM   #22
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

What about edge cases, where someone has a mild eyesight problem, but it's not bad enough for the often gaudy-looking-in-other-ways alternate themes?

What if someone is using someone else's computer for a while?

Shouldn't the default theme deliver sufficient contrast between text and background, to accommodate the most common eyesight issues, to a reasonable degree?

Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 11:59 AM   #23
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

What about edge cases, where someone has a mild eyesight problem, but it's not bad enough for the often gaudy-looking-in-other-ways alternate themes?

Shouldn't the default theme deliver sufficient contrast between text and background, to accommodate the most common eyesight issues, to a reasonable degree?
What is it with Themes and Wizards? OK. If that is your want but have about some simple slider type adjustments of colours and contrast for those that want them?
Old 11th August 2020, 09:58 PM   #24
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Remember also that most monitors have their own brightness, contrast and colour balance controls that are independent of the operating system. I've occasionally recommended that people try adjusting those.

- Randall Munroe
Old 17th August 2020, 07:29 AM   #25
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Change your background?

I use user accounts so anyone who has an account logging into a PC I use are free to do whatever they like. If they for some reason used my login and they changed the graphical options, well death is only the end point of the torment I would inflict!

They do.
Old 19th August 2020, 08:42 PM   #26
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

They do.
For the most part, yes. But, this thread is pointing out where they don't always do that.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet