ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 29th October 2020, 02:47 AM   #1881
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
No, it was 100,000 infections a day

Quote:
But it sets out a grim scenario under which 85,000 people could die from Covid between now and April, with 356,000 spending time in hospital and infections peaking at 100,000 a day.
I almost fainted when I saw 100,000 deaths a day.

I reckon we'll look back at that and wish we had got away that lightly

We're currently at over 20,000 positive cases a day (7 day rolling average from a couple of days ago) and increasing exponentially

Last edited by The Don; 29th October 2020 at 02:53 AM.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 03:27 AM   #1882
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Good catch. That'll teach me to post on a couple of hours sleep.
Old 29th October 2020, 03:29 AM   #1883
Ulf Nereng
Muse

This is going to be a looong winter. I wonder if it will get a name afterwards, like "The Winter of Mourning" or somesuch.
Ulf Nereng is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 03:33 AM   #1884
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post
This is going to be a looong winter. I wonder if it will get a name afterwards, like "The Winter of Mourning" or somesuch.
For those of us living in the UK, the effects of a no-deal Brexit are likely to dwarf those of Covid. I fear that we'll be looking back to Q4 2020 as some kind of halcyon time before things really got bad.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 03:40 AM   #1885
Ulf Nereng
Muse

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
For those of us living in the UK, the effects of a no-deal Brexit are likely to dwarf those of Covid. I fear that we'll be looking back to Q4 2020 as some kind of halcyon time before things really got bad.
While for those of us who live outside the UK the corona-virus is the big thing. Nobody cares about Brexit anymore. Feel free the to slam the door on your way out if it makes you feel better.

Ulf Nereng is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 04:11 AM   #1886
sphenisc
Philosopher

NM

Last edited by sphenisc; 29th October 2020 at 04:16 AM.
sphenisc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 04:26 AM   #1887
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

If the study performed by Imperial College is accurate, we're already at 100k infections a day

Quote:
Nearly 100,000 people are catching coronavirus every day in England, a major analysis suggests.

The study, by Imperial College London, says the pace of the epidemic is accelerating and estimates the number of people infected is now doubling every nine days.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54723962
Old 29th October 2020, 04:45 AM   #1888
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Never mind.
Old 29th October 2020, 04:52 AM   #1889
Dave_46
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
So weíre in lockdown from tomorrow evening until at least 1 December. Iím really not looking forward to this.
Guess who has a booking on a ferry to France tonight. Two weeks of staying in the house in the Vendee, then two weeks of staying in the house in Buckinghamshire.

Dave
Dave_46 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 04:53 AM   #1890
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

No **** ?

I use the Zoe app most days to report my (lack of) Covid test results and (absence of) symptoms. Over the summer it was satisfying to see that the estimated number of active cases in Monmouthshire was low double digits.

https://covid.joinzoe.com/data

This morning the estimated number of Covid cases is 994 which is a smidge over 1% of the population.

It will take several weeks for the effects of the Welsh lockdown to be shown in the infection numbers. Given that hospitalisations and deaths are trailing indicators, even if the lockdown is effective the weekly death numbers are likely to be rising until close to Christmas.

Yes, most of November's deaths will be due to infections that have already happened.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 04:56 AM   #1891
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

UK government is saying no plans to follow France into a full lockdown in England... So next Friday then?
Old 29th October 2020, 05:02 AM   #1892
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
UK government is saying no plans to follow France into a full lockdown in England... So next Friday then?
Yes we will not follow France into lockdown - instead we'll have our own post-Brexit, sovereignty regained, lockdown.

If everything else to do with Brexit is an indicator, it'll be more expensive and less effective than the ones adopted by our EU colleagues enemies.
Old 29th October 2020, 05:03 AM   #1893
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

If the study performed by Imperial College is accurate, we're already at 100k infections a day
And 310 deaths reported yesterday. A few weeks ago, Piers Moron was pooh-poohing the idea that we could be seeing 50,000 new cases and 200 deaths per day in October. [checks calendar] Yep, he's an idiot.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 05:07 AM   #1894
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Depends on whether thereís something Boris needs to distract attention from.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 05:47 AM   #1895
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Depends on whether thereís something Boris needs to distract attention from.
Itís the tories, that goes without saying!
Old 29th October 2020, 05:57 AM   #1896
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Something that, at the time, looks worse for him than a full lockdown.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 05:59 AM   #1897
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Unless he can find a way to monetise it for his buddies they will do pretty much anything to avoid a full national lockdown.
Old 29th October 2020, 09:00 AM   #1898
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

No, it was 100,000 infections a day

I almost fainted when I saw 100,000 deaths a day.

I reckon we'll look back at that and wish we had got away that lightly

We're currently at over 20,000 positive cases a day (7 day rolling average from a couple of days ago) and increasing exponentially
Because someone asked me on Twitter after seeing my log plot - here are the UK daily rolling 7day deaths from 10th September.

That's a scary exponential.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:18 AM   #1899
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Shut Up !

Apparently talking indoors helped to cause the latest Covid spike in Wales:

Quote:
Chatting in pubs, restaurants and homes was "mostly" how coronavirus spread before Wales' firebreak lockdown, Public Health Wales has said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-w...ost_type=share

See ? I'm being socially responsible, not rude, when I sit silently next to Mrs Don.
Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM   #1900
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Shut Up !

See ? I'm being socially responsible, not rude, when I sit silently next to Mrs Don.
This is a slightly better link, direct to the story.

As for singing, that is definitely a factor. A band I know had a practice recently, and one member turned out to be infected beforehand (he'd had some mild symptoms), and now five of the other six are positive. I don't know how closely they followed the social distancing guidelines. The one who was originally infected is exactly the one you'd have guessed would be less than careful (Facebook posts about CTs to suppress hydroxychloroquine, anti-BLM posts, complaining about political correctness"...).
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM   #1901
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Oh **** !

Quote:
Covid is spreading "significantly" faster through England than even the government's predicted "worst-case" scenario, documents reveal.

The Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) says there are around four times as many people catching Covid than anticipated.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54750775

Looks like Boris Johnson will have to take a couple of weekends with Dom to work out whether the headlines about cancelling Christmas will be worse than the headlines about thousands a day dying over Christmas
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM   #1902
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
This is a slightly better link, direct to the story.

As for singing, that is definitely a factor. A band I know had a practice recently, and one member turned out to be infected beforehand (he'd had some mild symptoms), and now five of the other six are positive. I don't know how closely they followed the social distancing guidelines. The one who was originally infected is exactly the one you'd have guessed would be less than careful (Facebook posts about CTs to suppress hydroxychloroquine, anti-BLM posts, complaining about political correctness"...).
Band practice is something we've been very careful about.

In August and September we were able to rehearse outdoors but now, because we're from three households, it'll be dodgy and our drummer is over 70 so at considerable risk
Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM   #1903
EHocking
Philosopher

Shut Up !

I think Edmond Blackadder has the wot of it.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM   #1904
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...nd-experts-say

.... longer will be needed. Photograph: Hollie Adams/Getty Images
Boris Johnson has bowed to pressure from his scientific advisers for new national lockdown restrictions, which are expected to be announced early next week, the Guardian has been told...

Iím at the stage of numb acceptance.
Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM   #1905
fromdownunder
Philosopher

It will take several weeks for the effects of the Welsh lockdown to be shown in the infection numbers. Given that hospitalisations and deaths are trailing indicators, even if the lockdown is effective the weekly death numbers are likely to be rising until close to Christmas.

It took Victoria 111 days to go from 100's of cases per day to zero on October 26, and an ongoing 14 day average of less than 5 (which was the requirement for a partial reopening. And the peak day of 751 new cases occurred after the full lockdown started.

And all of this essentially started back in June from one case of a brain dead untrained security guard bonking somebody who returned from overseas and was in Hotel lock down.

If you don't have the numbers under control AND have a great test/trace/isolate system, I don't believe it can be stopped. IIRC, the UK mostly reopened while there was still an average of around 500 new cases per day. That was just an invitation to the virus.

Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; Yesterday at 05:14 PM.
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM   #1906
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Boris Johnson has bowed to pressure from his scientific advisers for new national lockdown restrictions, which are expected to be announced early next week, the Guardian has been told...

Yeah, but are you comfortably numb?
Old Today, 02:30 AM   #1907
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

It's OK, given the glacial pace of Johnson's responses, he's probably going to be able to claim that the December figures are unprecedented. 🙁

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics