ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Closed Thread
Old 1st December 2018, 03:23 AM   #4001
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Well, if appeals to authority are fine, then this former federal prosecutor says that in order to avoid one all you need to do is to tell the truth

Here's another explaining why it doesn't apply to Mueller at all
Old 1st December 2018, 04:48 AM   #4002
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Thanks for those links.

The second features Randall Eliason, a frequent guest on the Opening Arguments podcast. In fact, here’s one with him discussing “perjury traps”:

https://openargs.com/oa204-the-perju...ndall-eliason/

Not surprisingly, his attitude is pretty much the same as mine, to wit:

1) It’s trivially easy to avoid a perjury trap - tell the truth consistently.

2) It’s at best a “perjury opportunity”. Given the opportunity, the options are:

A) Tell the truth
B) Lie and commit perjury, or,
C) Plead the Fifth

Seems patently clear to me.
Old 1st December 2018, 05:42 AM   #4003
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

wrong thread

Last edited by varwoche; 1st December 2018 at 06:05 AM.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 06:07 AM   #4004
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Dear Leader is to be defended at all costs, facts be damned. His words are to be parroted, no matter how asinine. Such is the way of a cultist.

Perjury trap!
17 angry democrats!
Leftists!
Witch hunt!
Lock her up!

If Dear Leader says X, the cultists say X. If Dear Leader says Y, the cultists say Y. No matter that X and Y contradict the stated principles of the cultist. What if X or Y violates long-held Christian beliefs? **** that bull ****. Dear Leader is priority #1 and #2. Anti-abortion zeal has fallen down the priority list. Strong man is Daddy.
I do wonder what would happen to his evangelical base if the evidence of him encouraging his lovers to have abortions comes out.

It's highly unlikely that he hasn't done that
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 06:30 AM   #4005
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...87982834163712

Quote:
Richard Burr confirms that the Senate Intel Committee "has made referrals to the special prosecutor" for criminal prosecution.

"In a lot of cases, those might be tied to lying to us."
https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/...99824730214400

Quote:
The referrals were bipartisan, I'm told--Warner signed off on them, too. Unclear when they were made or for whom.
As someone points out in the replies - I wonder if this is going to extend to Kavanaugh?
Old 1st December 2018, 06:31 AM   #4006
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Swalwell says he has circumstantial evidence of more lies to Congress by Cohen
Old 1st December 2018, 06:39 AM   #4007
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The Washington Post has compiled a list of the lies told about Russia by Trump and those surrounding him
Old 1st December 2018, 06:40 AM   #4008
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The Washington Post has compiled a list of the lies told about Russia by Trump and those surrounding him

Incidentally, just these lies alone are enough to establish that Putin had leverage over Trump. The fact that Putin knew they were lying means that he was in possession of information that Trump didn't want the American people to know. That's the very definition of leverage.
Old 1st December 2018, 06:43 AM   #4009
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/s...21345988800517

Quote:
Just think: @POTUS repeatedly urged Americans to read and believe the House GOP Intelligence Committee report, even though he knew the section concerning Trump Tower Moscow was false, as it was based on Cohen's testimony
Old 1st December 2018, 06:47 AM   #4010
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

One of the things that makes me roll my eyes about this is that certain people seem to believe that merely misstating anything will get you charged with lying to the FBI. Like if they ask you want the weather was like and you get it wrong, omg, that's a charge.

It's a complete fiction.

The law states that you are not allowed to "knowingly and willfully" make false statements about things that are "material" to the case.

Questions about what you had for breakfast, or the weather are highly unlikely to to be material to the case, and merely making a mistake in what you say, is not "knowingly and willingly".

The only way to get "trapped" is to know the truth and to deliberately either try and cover it up, or to deliberately give a false statement.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 06:50 AM   #4011
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Incidentally, just these lies alone are enough to establish that Putin had leverage over Trump. The fact that Putin knew they were lying means that he was in possession of information that Trump didn't want the American people to know. That's the very definition of leverage.
No joke! Thanks for posting this.
Old 1st December 2018, 06:59 AM   #4012
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I do wonder what would happen to his evangelical base if the evidence of him encouraging his lovers to have abortions comes out.

It's highly unlikely that he hasn't done that
I predict that they would just ignore the fact. Or say "everyone is a sinner" or considering the level of hypocrisy they already exhibit blame the dirty heathen sluts...
Old 1st December 2018, 07:04 AM   #4013
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

This should be damming for impartial observers

Quote:
Swalwell said he was previously aware Cohen lied to his committee but was limited because he could not make public transcripts of Cohen’s testimony or pass them along to Mueller.

“The Republicans have failed to allow us to send those to Bob Mueller,” he said. “Our transcripts have not been released.”
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 07:23 AM   #4014
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Meh. King David did worse.
Old 1st December 2018, 07:30 AM   #4015
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

This should be damming for impartial observers
I've seen it said (although I forget now where) that the Democrats have already met and decided that action 1, day 1 will be passing on all relevant transcripts to Mueller.
Old 1st December 2018, 08:14 AM   #4016
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

[double post]

Last edited by W.D.Clinger; 1st December 2018 at 08:30 AM. Reason: duplicate post
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 08:29 AM   #4017
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
In one of Dashell Hammett's great "Continnental Op" stories (about a private detective agency) the Operator,on seeing an obviousl false statement says:

"I spotted 12 lies right off the top, with the promise of many more to come".

In "The Golden Horseshoe", Hammett's Continental Op eventually identifies a killer but has no solid evidence against him. To encourage the killer to act in a self-incriminating way, the detective pays four unsuspecting locals to give him a nod when they see a person of a certain description, with a notably long and thin neck, in a bar. "Be careful when you give me the nod. I don't want anybody in there to find out that you know me."

From "The Golden Horseshoe", by Dashiell Hammett:

Originally Posted by Dashiell Hammett
The Filipino turned around, looked at me, ducking his head sharply, and bolted for the street. The three who were left shot their drinks down their gullets and tried to catch my eye.
I was reading a sign high on the wall behind the bar:
ONLY GENUINE PRE-WAR AMERICAN AND BRITISH WHISKEYS SERVED HERE
I was trying to count how many lies could be found in those nine words, and had reached four, with promise of more, when
one of my confederates, the Greek, cleared his throat with the noise of a gasoline engine's backfire. Gooseneck was edging down the bar, a bung-starter in one hand, his face purple.

I looked at my assistants. Their nods wouldn't have been so terrible had they come one at a time; but they were taking no chances on my looking away again before they could get their reports in. The three heads bobbed together—a signal that nobody within twenty feet could, or did, miss—and they scooted out of the door, away from the long-necked man and his bung-starter.

I emptied my glass of beer, sauntered out of the saloon and around the corner....

Anyone who doesn't understand how that excerpt is relevant to the Mueller investigation should read all of the spoilers, including this one:
Giving a stupid person enough rope to hang himself is not a perjury trap. Mueller may not have the Continental Op's sense of humor, but he does have the Op's competence.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 08:46 AM   #4018
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Based on the Muller Filings and news reports, Rachel Maddow lays out what could very likely be the entire Trump/Russia Conspiracy Plot...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 08:57 AM   #4019
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Cohen says he was in "close and regular contact" with Trump's legal team when he was writing his Congressional testimony
Old 1st December 2018, 08:58 AM   #4020
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

God almighty, the analogies in those examples are beyond insipid particularly the coffee cup one and do not address the concrete examples, particularly the Bonds example, brought up by Popehat.

Great googling tho,

Mod InfoThread closed due to size causing duplicates and slow loading.

Continues here.
Posted By:zooterkin

Last edited by zooterkin; 1st December 2018 at 10:26 AM.
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics