ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th November 2019, 03:08 PM   #1
wobs
Master Poster

keyboard Ignoring Us

Home PC has a microsoft keyboard that has an annoying habit of ignoring any key strokes for a few seconds, and finally working fine.

So for example, when typing the title of this thread, I had to press K a number a number of times before it woudl respond, after which it was fine.So it doesn't appear to be a memory issue, as it doesn't catch up.

Searches suggest malware, or a BIOS issue, but am open to suggestion how I would address either of these.

I have done a scan with windows security (both quick and long), and found nothing.

Am running Windows 10
Old 4th November 2019, 03:14 PM   #2
catsmate
No longer the 1

What kind of keyboard? Wired, wireless, USB, PS2, model?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 03:16 PM   #3
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

The first thing I suggest is trying the keyboard in another computer. That should tell you if the problem is with the keyboard/receiver pair or with Windows. Try fresh batteries as well.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 03:59 PM   #4
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wobs View Post
Home PC has a microsoft keyboard that has an annoying habit of ignoring any key strokes for a few seconds, and finally working fine.

So for example, when typing the title of this thread, I had to press K a number a number of times before it woudl respond, after which it was fine.So it doesn't appear to be a memory issue, as it doesn't catch up.

Searches suggest malware, or a BIOS issue, but am open to suggestion how I would address either of these.

I have done a scan with windows security (both quick and long), and found nothing.

Am running Windows 10
You haven't enabled FilterKeys by accident?
Old 4th November 2019, 06:56 PM   #5
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Here's a fun thing to try. Shut down the PC. Disconnect the keyboard and the power supply. Wait 10sec, then plug the keyboard in first, then the power. Restart the computer.

This resets the keyboard buffer on the mainboard, or something. I don't really know. But it's a little trick I've learned after years of providing support.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 07:19 PM   #6
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

^That's what they always say.

Microsoft keyboard on Windows 10 and Windows security finds nothing? Sound like a feature, not a bug.

Oh, and try Linux.
Old 4th November 2019, 08:36 PM   #7
JimOfAllTrades
Muse

Originally Posted by wobs View Post
Does this happen only in the web browser, or in any app where you use the keyboard for input (notepad, word, excel, etc?)

If it happens across all applications using the keyboard, it's probably driver or hardware related. Using the keyboard on a different PC is an excellent suggestion, then try using the keyboard from that PC on your computer. The results from those tests could give good clues.

If it only happens with one application (like your web browser), then it's trickier. Try removing the driver for the keyboard in Device Manager, reboot the computer and plug in the keyboard so it reloads. (I know a driver should affect all applications, but they can sometime be weird. ) You can also try removing and reinstalling the application.
JimOfAllTrades is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 02:30 AM   #8
wobs
Master Poster

Thank you all for replying! You guys rock. Lots of good advice here.

It is a wired Mircosoft keyboard. I tried unplugging and turning off, and restarting, then plugging in again as it was booting up, which seemed to have fixed it!

Thank you again.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet