ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "A Warning" , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 9th November 2019, 05:09 PM   #41
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I fear I must disregard whatever it is you just said, anonymous stranger!
I find it easy to disregard everything Bob says.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 05:37 PM   #42
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I find it easy to disregard everything Bob says.
I'd never even see it if you morons didn't keep quoting him!

Signed, Bob.

(There are a lot of us Bobs.)
Old 9th November 2019, 06:49 PM   #43
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

Signed, Bob.

But we're organized!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 07:59 PM   #44
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Anonymous carries as much credibility as Qanon.
Anonymous carries a lot less incredulity than Qanon.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 08:18 PM   #45
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Why would you accept the claims of someone who refuses to provide all the evidence to evaluate? Would you accept a claim in a physics journal that said it omitted information to prevent you from verifying it?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 08:32 PM   #46
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Why would you accept the claims of someone who refuses to provide all the evidence to evaluate? Would you accept a claim in a physics journal that said it omitted information to prevent you from verifying it?
This isn't a science journal with peer reviews, Bob. It's the experiences of a senior WH official as verified by the NYT.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 09:10 PM   #47
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
This isn't a science journal with peer reviews, Bob. It's the experiences of a senior WH official as verified by the NYT.
I wouldn't accept a physics claim with hidden evidence. I'm not going to relax that standard for an editorial claim (by an editorial board. Not even by reporters)

Probably the biggest reason to not use a relaxed standard is the incredibly low stakes of these claims. Your acceptance of these claims likely has very little impact on your future actions.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 9th November 2019 at 09:11 PM.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 09:35 PM   #48
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Show of hands, does anyone think it likely that the reporters and editors at the New York Times, don't know who the senior Trump Administration staff are or that they'd publish a letter from someone without confirming the author's identity as one of them?
Old 9th November 2019, 10:18 PM   #49
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Show of hands, does anyone think it likely that the reporters and editors at the New York Times, don't know who the senior Trump Administration staff are or that they'd publish a letter from someone without confirming the author's identity as one of them?
They deny knowledge of it

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/09/med...uet/index.html

Quote:
Even the paper's executive editor, Dean Baquet, doesn't know. That is how closely guarded the Times is being about protecting the writer's anonymity.

"That is the strength of the firewall" between the paper's news and editorial departments, Patrick Healy, the paper's politics editor, told CNN's Brian Stelter on "Reliable Sources" Sunday.
Which, if you are right, it means that the NYT politics editor is willing to go on the record and mislead about politics.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 9th November 2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10th November 2019, 12:29 AM   #50
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I wouldn't accept a physics claim with hidden evidence. I'm not going to relax that standard for an editorial claim (by an editorial board. Not even by reporters)

Probably the biggest reason to not use a relaxed standard is the incredibly low stakes of these claims. Your acceptance of these claims likely has very little impact on your future actions.
So don't accept it. I'm not going to lose any sleep over what you accept or not.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 12:36 AM   #51
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Generally, it is. Unlike, say, Fox.
Fox and the NYT don't disagree with each other on the basic facts of the stories that they both report. It;s their interpretation those facts that is different.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 01:03 AM   #52
Bob001
Philosopher

"The reporters and editors" would include over 1,000 people. It's a safe bet that most of them do NOT know who it is. But it's a certainty that the editor who decided to print it and whoever brought it to him DO know. Beyond that, they would do whatever they could to protect their source.

The Times itself says:
Quote:
The Op-Ed article was submitted to Times opinion editors last week through an intermediary, Mr. Dao said. “It was clear early on that the writer wanted anonymity, but we didn’t grant anything until we read it and we were confident that they were who they said they were,” he said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/08/r...-ed-trump.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 05:02 AM   #53
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
"The reporters and editors" would include over 1,000 people. It's a safe bet that most of them do NOT know who it is. But it's a certainty that the editor who decided to print it and whoever brought it to him DO know. Beyond that, they would do whatever they could to protect their source.

The Times itself says:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/08/r...-ed-trump.html
No, but at the same time, I doubt only one reporter and/or editor made the decision.
Old 10th November 2019, 06:19 AM   #54
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

It's a bob sled ride! The season nears for such festivities.
Old 10th November 2019, 06:22 AM   #55
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

No, but at the same time, I doubt only one reporter and/or editor made the decision.
It appears zero reporters or news editors were involved.
Old 10th November 2019, 07:03 AM   #56
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

Signed, Bob.

It seems every Tom, Dick, and Harry are named Bob.
Old 10th November 2019, 08:34 AM   #57
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
It seems every Tom, Dick, and Harry are named Bob.
And your uncle.
Old 11th November 2019, 02:57 AM   #58
Belz...
Fiend God

Anonymous carries as much credibility as Qanon.
Too obvious. I give this one a 3 out of 10.

This is why I rarely make claims of fact.
No, that's not why.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Last edited by Belz...; 11th November 2019 at 02:58 AM.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics