ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th November 2019, 11:38 PM   #1
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Thumbs down I just closed my LinkedIn account

I've had a free level LinkedIn account for years and have refused all attempts to upgrade to a "Premium" account, in the naive assumption that I could derive decent value from the free tier.

That changed tonight. Someone wanted to add me to their network, so I accepted the invitation, then sent a message to the effect "I've tentatively accepted your invitation. How can I be of use to you? Can you tell me how you can be of use to me?"

LinkedIn didn't send the message because I had insufficient "Email Credits."

I've actually really disliked LinkedIn for years, but have held on to the account in the hopes it might actually be of use some day. I stuck with them despite the fact they wanted me to give them the password to an email account so they could suck in the contact list and spam everyone on it. (Not that they could. My primary email client is on my compuer; I don't do web-based email.) I got royally pissed at them one day when they presented me with a page to upgrade my account with no exit that would take me to my LinkedIn main page. That I fixed by clearing out cookies and signing in again.

Perhaps because I was using only the free tier, LinkedIn in has given me abolutely nothing for all the time I've been a member. But the premium levels aren't cheap; I did a check tonight to see how much it would cost, and it was over $300/year!

Their main page is just a bunch of crap with an awful signal to noise ratio. Messages I've sent on the site over time have not been replied to. Random strangers ask me to join their networks but give no value to me. There's the never-ending push to UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT. I get banal emails from them all the time ("You have three new updates on your account," but when I visit I see nothing.)

Screw all that. I've long been a non-fan of social media, and my horrendous experience on LinkedIn only serves to support that bias.

So ... if you're on LinkedIn today, how's your experience? And are you free tier or premium?
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 12:31 AM   #2
BowlOfRed
Graduate Poster

Never paid a dime. Never really look at the home page (I scroll through it every once in a great while). But I'm not on Facebook and it lets me keep track of friends email addresses over time. (And I'm pretty darn selective about who I let connect. Generally just folks I've worked with and some college friends).

I have used it to look for jobs and I did get a job through a previous coworker that reached out to me via Linkedin. I still have a job search category live with them that sends me updates when matches appear.

I get email updates/announcements that I mostly ignore, but I don't think I'd ever noticed any push to upgrade.

Sometimes the recruiter mail gets a bit heavy, but I'd rather hit ignore a few times than not see them them at all.

Generally, I don't think about my account on a daily basis at all.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 12:56 AM   #3
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I remember getting set up on it shortly after being laid off. I did manage to get linked to a former cow-orker but it must have been shortly after that that I probably got something that so irritated or alarmed me about the site that I deleted my account.

I'm pretty sure it still took a few months for all the links to fade away somehow.
Old 9th November 2019, 08:22 AM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

All I know of LinkedIn is that I, long since retired, keep getting invites supposedly from a former co-worker, also long retired. Does LinkedIn even ask your permission before scraping your email directory and sending messages?
Old 9th November 2019, 02:30 PM   #5
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
All I know of LinkedIn is that I, long since retired, keep getting invites supposedly from a former co-worker, also long retired. Does LinkedIn even ask your permission before scraping your email directory and sending messages?
I can answer that one.

No.

If you run the Linkedin application on a phone, it does this without your permission. (I briefly had the app, and deleted it after this happened.)

Personally I found it to be useful until Microsoft bought it.

Now it's getting more like faceplant every day.
Old 9th November 2019, 03:05 PM   #6
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Still have it, after being long retired (since 2012). I can keep a bit of track on my old colleagues. Otherwise, I mostly ignore it.

Hans
Old 9th November 2019, 03:38 PM   #7
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

LinkedIn is the social media personification of an aging baby boomer that thinks you can get a job anywhere by getting to know someone "on the inside."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 04:12 PM   #8
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Never paid for my LinkedIn account, and the only thing I use it for is stealing profile pictures for my Contacts app.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 06:17 PM   #9
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Out of curiosity I just revived my long-dormant account. Nothing but suggested contacts from within my current company and two messages; One ad from a hardware vendor and an invitation to upgrade.

Swiping contact pics seems to be the best use for this site that I've heard of. Good idea.

The better you get, the harder you work.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 03:32 AM   #10
Wudang
BOFH

If you’re looking for work it can help. Recruiters get a lot of CVs claiming all sorts. My LinkedIn account has people like ex CTO of yahoo as a primary link so my CV gets pushed up the queue.
Old 12th November 2019, 12:21 PM   #11
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Well, I get to use it because my employer bought access to linkedin learning. At the time it was Lynda.com but got bought out. So, I do have an account. The courses aren't bad. I don't use the social media parts.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet