IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th June 2022, 11:50 PM   #41
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Shooting the Messenger has always worked before.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2022, 12:13 AM   #42
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
My Australian state of Victoria has a population of 6.6 million and a force of 23000. Itís not perfect but is well run and is generally respected. It still has local presence without the need of hundreds of forces in the state.
Back in the 80s their reputation wasn't all that great...
Old 29th June 2022, 12:36 AM   #43
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Back in the 80s their reputation wasn't all that great...
Well I worked there then and had a seat on Force Command. But you are right. Two police assassinated in South Yarra led to a police over-reaction. There were evil crooks killed at that time, but it wasnít right. I remember the CCP congratulating a Commissioner (sarcastically) for the fact that one of his members refrained from shooting a fleeing crim.

But I think their reputation was pretty solid with the general public. The sainted Mick Miller was CCP during the 1980s, followed by his deputy Kel Glare, both decent men. The 10 years after that were overseen by poor leaders.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events