IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , biden , Biden administration , Biden controversies , joe biden , Kamala Harris , sucks

Old 28th June 2022, 10:17 PM   #601
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

I don't believe people are emotionally attached to fossil fuels. I do believe people are emotionally attached to the principle of rejecting anything those lefty leftists propose to make our God-given quality of life worse.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2022, 10:48 PM   #602
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
Permits and leases are two differant things.
Thank you for correcting me. I was so excited I must have mixed the two for some reason. I do realize Biden halted the leasing and I'm glad you do too.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2022, 11:09 PM   #603
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
The person doing the spinning is you. You've been blaming increased gas prices on Biden. The evidence clearly demonstrates that Biden's actions haven't affected fuel supplies in the slightest.
I haven't put a spin on anything. The examples I pointed out are direct evidence of this administration's Energy Policy failures. I quoted from Executive Order 14008 and linked to the Department of the Interior to investigate. I did add a citation from WAPO but only in reference to the largest lease under Biden in the Gulf of Mexico being shot down by a DC Judge.

If your takeaway is that Biden has had nothing to do with the price of gasoline rising, that's on you. I tend to believe that a President's Energy policies can have either a positive or negative effect on the price of energy.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 07:00 AM   #604
Delvo

Now he's nominated a right-wing anti-abortion Federal judge hand-picked by McConnell.

That's our great defender of the judicial system's sanity there, folks.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 07:59 AM   #605
Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
In this forum more than once there has been whining that renewable power wasn't anywhere close to replacing fossil fuels.

It's not only likely alternative energy sources will be able to replace fossil fuels soon, they are proving to be cost effective. Some utility companies want solar power used by homeowners banned. Said companies don't like losing money.
The utility companies don't really care about whether your power is solar, wind, or oil, they care about being the ones to sell the power to you. As costs come down, more and more homeowners are getting of the electric grid completely, forcing them to squeeze their remaining customers harder to keep profits going, making going off-grid more appealing. A decentralized electricity model is the death of their industry.

There are a lot of industrial scale wind and solar arrays out there owned by big business, it is the off-grid stuff that they are trying to quash...
Old 30th June 2022, 08:41 AM   #606
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I haven't put a spin on anything. The examples I pointed out are direct evidence of this administration's Energy Policy failures. I quoted from Executive Order 14008 and linked to the Department of the Interior to investigate. I did add a citation from WAPO but only in reference to the largest lease under Biden in the Gulf of Mexico being shot down by a DC Judge.

If your takeaway is that Biden has had nothing to do with the price of gasoline rising, that's on you. I tend to believe that a President's Energy policies can have either a positive or negative effect on the price of energy.
Yes, you are. Your logic is impaired. I do think POTUS''s policies can affect energy prices. But it takes years between the time leases are granted, drilling rigs to be built, wells to be dug, pipelines to be constructed and the oil to be delivered to refineries.

We are far more likely facing the problems left by the previous administration than anything Biden has created.

Last edited by acbytesla; 30th June 2022 at 09:36 AM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 10:17 AM   #607
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Now he's nominated a right-wing anti-abortion Federal judge hand-picked by McConnell.

Apparently that's the result of a sleazy deal.
Quote:
As first reported by The Courier-Journal, Rep. John Yarmuth (D-Ky.) and other sources say the done-deal nomination of Chad Meredith is intended to placate McConnell, who will supposedly pledge to not stall further federal nominations by the Biden White House.
https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...edith-1376416/

It's shameful and disgusting, but it's necessary due to the intransigence of the "filibuster forever" Manchin/Sinema crowd. If the Senate had 50 real Democrats voting together, McConnell wouldn't matter.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 11:42 AM   #608
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Random View Post
The utility companies don't really care about whether your power is solar, wind, or oil, they care about being the ones to sell the power to you. As costs come down, more and more homeowners are getting of the electric grid completely, forcing them to squeeze their remaining customers harder to keep profits going, making going off-grid more appealing. A decentralized electricity model is the death of their industry.

There are a lot of industrial scale wind and solar arrays out there owned by big business, it is the off-grid stuff that they are trying to quash...
Is this an excuse for the power companies?

Of course it's not about renewable energy.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 12:23 PM   #609
Random
Illuminator

Is this an excuse for the power companies?

Of course it's not about renewable energy.
Sorry. A lot of people think it is alternative energy itself that the big utilities object to. It was not readily apparent to me that you were not one of those people. I apologize.
Old 30th June 2022, 01:18 PM   #610
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Random View Post
Sorry. A lot of people think it is alternative energy itself that the big utilities object to. It was not readily apparent to me that you were not one of those people. I apologize.
Their objections are not without merit. Maintaining the grid is not inexpensive. Rooftop solar threatens not only their profit, but their ability to maintain the grid.

But I don't think the solution to the problem is eliminating rooftop solar.
Old 30th June 2022, 01:28 PM   #611
theprestige
Suspended

Their objections are not without merit. Maintaining the grid is not inexpensive. Rooftop solar threatens not only their profit, but their ability to maintain the grid.

The solution to the problem is probably going to have to be some combination of charging more to those who will not or cannot get off the grid, and raising taxes for the purpose of maintaining the grid in support of major economic and industrial activity that still needs what the grid provides. Presumably the revenue from these activities will be more than sufficient to pay for the infrastructure, but what if it isn't? We might end up having to claw back some of the savings realized by those with rooftop solar, in the form of taxes to maintain a grid they've opted out of.

Last edited by theprestige; 30th June 2022 at 01:30 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 03:00 PM   #612
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The solution to the problem is probably going to have to be some combination of charging more to those who will not or cannot get off the grid, and raising taxes for the purpose of maintaining the grid in support of major economic and industrial activity that still needs what the grid provides. Presumably the revenue from these activities will be more than sufficient to pay for the infrastructure, but what if it isn't? We might end up having to claw back some of the savings realized by those with rooftop solar, in the form of taxes to maintain a grid they've opted out of.
I don’t disagree. But there is a huge value to distributed power. Not just to the grid, but society as a whole.

The question is who is going to pay those higher taxes?

The rich keep getting richer and the middle class and poor keep getting poorer.
You can't increase raising prices on them.

Last edited by acbytesla; 30th June 2022 at 03:40 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 03:22 PM   #613
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Apparently that's the result of a sleazy deal.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...edith-1376416/

It's shameful and disgusting, but it's necessary due to the intransigence of the "filibuster forever" Manchin/Sinema crowd. If the Senate had 50 real Democrats voting together, McConnell wouldn't matter.
The nominated person was also apparently involved with paying for pardon scheming. It's disappointing that Biden would have real cause to play along here, but also plenty telling that this guy is who McConnell's pushing. Can't say that I trust McConnell to uphold his end of that deal, though.
Old 30th June 2022, 05:18 PM   #614
ZiprHead
Muse

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
The nominated person was also apparently involved with paying for pardon scheming. It's disappointing that Biden would have real cause to play along here, but also plenty telling that this guy is who McConnell's pushing. Can't say that I trust McConnell to uphold his end of that deal, though.
Biden may nominate him but that doesn't mean he will be approved.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 06:41 PM   #615
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm not sure how ability to maintain the grid matters here. If you want to stay connected to the grid but still use solar there are regulations that mandate how you do that. They can't have their technicians being exposed to the risk of an improperly installed system.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 06:50 PM   #616
Delvo

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
It's shameful and disgusting, but it's necessary due to the intransigence of the "filibuster forever" Manchin/Sinema crowd.
The Manchin Sinematic Universe has been approving non-maniacal appointments so far; their obstructionism has just been about legislation. But even if that weren't the case, it wouldn't make literally letting the Republicans pick the Democrats' appointments for them "necessary" because, whether sane appointments were getting through or not, there would still be no chance at all of McConnell, the inventor of the strategy of just not doing his job on judicial appointments when a Democrat is President, honoring this deal when the time comes. It can not possibly serve any purpose but to demonstrate once again what an utterly clueless and gullible fool Biden is about politics.
Old 30th June 2022, 07:35 PM   #617
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not sure how ability to maintain the grid matters here. If you want to stay connected to the grid but still use solar there are regulations that mandate how you do that. They can't have their technicians being exposed to the risk of an improperly installed system.
That's another issue. But for the most part that is dealt with using inverters that won't send power to the grid unless the grid is up.

The point I was making is that it costs the power companies to maintain the grid. Issues with downed power lines, worn out splices, worn out transformers, bad fuses. High voltage power lines are dangerous to work around. This is not cheap.
Old 30th June 2022, 09:45 PM   #618
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The point I was making is that it costs the power companies to maintain the grid. Issues with downed power lines, worn out splices, worn out transformers, bad fuses. High voltage power lines are dangerous to work around. This is not cheap.
So your claim is it's not about profits, they are barely staying above water?
Old 30th June 2022, 10:25 PM   #619
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

So your claim is it's not about profits, they are barely staying above water?
It's about both. Companies need to make profits. Nobody works for free.

The answer is public utilities. Regulated and limited profits. In my state, most of the electricity is provided by publicly regulated utilities. And most of that electricity is generated by government power resources.
Old 30th June 2022, 11:33 PM   #620
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

all basic needs need to be met on a non-profit or co-op basis, which should be obvious to anyone who thinks about it.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics